• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Can you guys help me figure out what fight I saw on yesterday's card. It was the last fight on FX before the broadcast ended but I'm not sure if it was an earlier fight reshown. A Brazilian was dominating the fight but kept getting nailed by upkicks and in the third round he got finished by punches.
Pancini vs Campos?

Heel

Honestly though, something like Victor's Back vs. Michael Bisping sounds entirely plausible now that our expectations have been tempered. A stomachable fight but nothing I'd consider being a possible PPV main event until recently.

Here's hoping that everyone gets healthy soon. Stay positive in this dark hour, friends.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Honestly though, something like Victor's Back vs. Michael Bisping sounds entirely plausible now that our expectations have been tempered. A stomachable fight but nothing I'd consider being a possible PPV main event until recently.

Here's hoping that everyone gets healthy soon. Stay positive in this dark hour, friends.

I want to believe there's a light at the end of the tunnel, however the amount of sub par cards mixed with the fact that cans rise to contender status and vice versa is really painting our beloved sport in a bad light. Joe Silva is no longer enough. He hasn't been enough for a few years. Ultimate needs some sort of an official ranking system and an overahul of the rules stat.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Nah, an official ranking system would result in matches no one wants to see. More sport, less sports entertainment.

Cheesy, I found your okcupid.

pAG8a.png

ShaneB

Yo night shift sucks.

I worked night shift one summer, years ago. It wasn't bad, was on my own, had my own little shack to hide away. I'd work for 2 hours, sleep for 2 hours, and repeat for my 12 hour shift. If I couldn't sleep I'd just play my gba or read.

Not bad at all I says.

Also, there was a news report I saw this weekend about night shift linked to cancer in women... wacky.

I worked that shit for four years. Night shift is ass. Its fun the first six months tops. After that its fairly close to hell on earth.
My friend and neighbors who work nights hate it, and over the years it really fucks you up. One neighbor passes out in his car all the time right after work; can't even drive home without taking a nap. My other friend drives a truck at night and maybe sleeps 2-4 hours during the day. Fucking dangerous.

I didn't even like swing shifts when I was in college. Work from 2 pm to 11 pm, then just go home, shower, and sleep. Good for working and going to school, but shitty for living.

There are so many studies about how bad it is for you. Interestingly, I read a recent study on how artists and creative people who work nights and sleep during the day don't have the same sleep problems. One of my friends is a writer/teacher and she will write all night until like 4 am and then sleep in. It's what she prefers and I think she's pretty healthy.

Maybe it is what you're doing and whether it is a choice or not.

Unrelated but it is interesting how expectations change your enjoyment of a fight. My friend kept telling me to watch rd 4 of Gray/Clay, so I watched the whole fight. Since I already knew what happened, I thought it was kinda interesting. Clay dances really well. If he had just threw in strikes or td attempts--like a lot more--it wouldn't have been bad at all.

I dunno if I'll bother buying tickets if there is no title fight, unless the rest of the fights are "stacked"

Rory vs BJ should be good but I dunno, UFC tickets in Toronto are expensive

TheNatural

My Member!
Remember all that bitching and moaning mixed martial arts (MMA) fans were doing about the quality of recent pay-per-view (PPV) fight cards?

Must be a U.S. thing.

That's because Ultimate Fighting Championship hit a grand slam with its UFC 147: "Silva vs. Franklin 2" event last Saturday night (June 23, 2012), which emanated from the Jornalista Felipe Drumond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

Headlined by a main event pitting hometown hero Wanderlei Silva against former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin, UFC 147 reportedly drew 16,643 live fans and over 20 million viewers on Brazilian television.

iPF8cRQvyuAGW.gif

Eric Hall

Boooo

Cain vs JDS may not happen in Toronto and the main event would be Rory vs BJ =/

I was about to say that Rory vs BJ is not main event material (Guy coming out of retirement vs guy who just beat something named Che Mills), but then I remembered that in 2011 we had Tito Ortiz headline one and Jon Fitch headline another

I was about to say that Rory vs BJ is not main event material (Guy coming out of retirement vs guy who just beat something named Che Mills), but then I remembered that in 2011 we had Tito Ortiz headline one and Jon Fitch headline another
I know this was in the UK but UFC 138 was Leben/Munoz.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My friend and neighbors who work nights hate it, and over the years it really fucks you up. One neighbor passes out in his car all the time right after work; can't even drive home without taking a nap. My other friend drives a truck at night and maybe sleeps 2-4 hours during the day. Fucking dangerous.

I didn't even like swing shifts when I was in college. Work from 2 pm to 11 pm, then just go home, shower, and sleep. Good for working and going to school, but shitty for living.

Add the fact that everyone you know is sleeping when you're awake into the mix and you get a really unpleasant situation. Say no to permanent night shifts. It will fuck your shit up. All of it.

DKehoe

No one has posted Anderson's quotes from the media conference call?

I'm going to break every bone in his face and all of the teeth in his mouth.

He's a criminal that doesn't even deserve to be in the UFC. I am going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He will never want to fight again once I'm done with him.

What I'm going to do to Chael will change the image of the sport. I'm going to break his arms, his legs and every one of his teeth.

I'm going to beat him the way his parents should have beaten him.

There's going to be no difference in the end. The first time we fought he stepped out the loser. And he's going to step out losing again this time. The only difference is this time, he’s going to have to go see a plastic surgeon after the fight.

I'm going to make him pay and make him eat everything he said, not only about myself but about my country. I'm going to make him never disrespect another fighter again. He's disrespectful, he's a criminal and I'm going to beat him like he's never been beaten before. I'm not playing anymore.

He also hung up part way through

TheNatural

My Member!
Any takers on my avatar v. avatar bet? I'll take Silva over Sonnen. Heel, like Chael, talks big then backs out on the bet. Sonnen won't have a 17:1 T/E ratio to rely on this time, and the guy looked gassed midway through Rd 2 of Bisping, so there won't be a repeat of last time. Anderson KO by Muay Thai knees.

Kellen

Dana thinks Franklin Vs. Silva second round should be 10-8

"I'm happy with the main event. Wanderlei and Rich are both warriors and have been around a long time. Rich came back from an unbelievable beating and near finish to win the fight. I think Mario Yamasaki did a great job in not stopping the fight. Obviously, Rich was able to continue. I gotta go back to judging again. In the earlier fight, they had a 10-8 round in a fight that was a draw -- and they don't make the Wanderlei-Rich round a 10-8 round for Wanderlei? So inconsistent. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want to see more fighters get involved in judging and reffing. It's gonna be a problem for a little while here, until the athletic commissions start focusing on it."

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
No one has posted Anderson's quotes from the media conference call?

He also hung up part way through

I'm very intrigued at what he's going to do. I'd be happy to see him get a lock in on Sonnen then not wait for a tap and just break the bone. (I obviously really, really hate Sonnen and the disrespect in the sport that he breeds. It'd be poetic justice.)

Heel

people say "black people are good at basketball" but in reality a majority of good basketball players are black, but not all black people are good basketball players.

Scooter, o' wise one, does the same rule apply to Japanese fighters being cans in MMA? I want to believe but evidence to the contrary is becoming overwhelming. Thank you friend.

Top Bottom