• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

The UFC thread make clear blood flow from my eyes. Beautiful work.

Just got done with second round interview for this job I'm after. I hate interviewing so much. Always reflect on what I could have answered better right after.

Gonna watch UFC 7 to relax. I forgot Michael Buffer announced some of these early ones.

Thanks. I just hope this is the last round of interviews. I got the impression it was, but in my interview with the boss it sounded like it would be a long process. When my friend interviewed there a couple years ago, her interviews were 3 hours long and included an essay test. I think I answered well on the technical skills questions but completely bombed the standard interview bullshit ones, like describe a strength and a weakness. I got a joke answer stuck in my head from when I was prepping with a friend. "Sometimes I get so angry I have to leave the office. And as for weaknesses, none." So I couldn't think of shit to really say and sat there for a while.

I fell asleep watching UFC 7 and woke just in time to watch Oleg vs Ken. Fuck I forgot how boring these could be. Ken's been lay and praying for 20 minutes straight.

Thanks. I just hope this is the last round of interviews. I got the impression it was, but in my interview with the boss it sounded like it would be a long process. When my friend interviewed there a couple years ago, her interviews were 3 hours long and included an essay test. I think I answered well on the technical skills questions but completely bombed the standard interview bullshit ones, like describe a strength and a weakness. I got a joke answer stuck in my head from when I was prepping with a friend. "Sometimes I get so angry I have to leave the office. And as for weaknesses, none." So I couldn't think of shit to really say and sat there for a while.

I fell asleep watching UFC 7 and woke just in time to watch Oleg vs Ken. Fuck I forgot how boring these could be. Ken's been lay and praying for 20 minutes straight.

As soon as they put the time limit in everything started going straight to hell.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I remember at my last interview I had to do an English test and a Mathematics test. I was more stressed at failing the English test with being a Scottish former English teacher and all, but I thought the maths test was going to be the end of the road for me. 30 equations/theoretical maths questions and 7 minutes to do them in. Then I realised it was multiple choice so I was just "fuck it. A, B, C, C, A, B..."

I got the job.

Also, regarding the "what are your weaknesses" I always use this type of reply (which is actually the truth for me):

"My weakness is that I have an overly acute sense of detail. Sometimes I can spend a lot of time ensuring that everything is perfect down to the right detail. This can occasionally lead me to being sidetracked."

There's a reason why I laugh whenever someone tells me "the UFC was better back in the beginning/the old days."

The thing is I had an answer planned but my mind went blank. Your weakness is a good one and I contemplated it, but it's actually a bad weakness for the job because there are tight deadlines. But honestly that was a weakness of mine years ago.

I was going to say that I was taught and encouraged to multi-task over the years, and that to fit in to my office's style, I developed the ability to do so well. But that for my particular job, it is actually better to focus on one task at a time. In order to get over this weakness I have a priority list visible on my desk. That lets me not worry about other things I need to do and focus only on the item at the top, because I've already reviewed the list and determined which are most important to complete first.

Ah well, I think I answered honestly for all the important questions, and if they liked my answers, great, and if not, maybe it's better I don't work there. It's weird though how I could pretty much tell how much they liked my answers by their faces and body language. I just have no idea what the ratio was, cuz there were so many fucking questions.

industrian

The thing is I had an answer planned but my mind went blank. Your weakness is a good one and I contemplated it, but it's actually a bad weakness for the job because there are tight deadlines. But honestly that was a weakness of mine years ago.

I've got some sort of OCD/autistic shit going on with my over-focus on things. The job I went for (marketing) had tight deadlines and I still got the job. But due to the "unique" approval process at the company most designers and other writers just designed for approval rather than do something unique and creative. I could write a book on the atrocious hierarchical system at that company.

I also get away with using a rather comical "I don't speak Chinese" as a weakness, even though all the jobs I apply for are obviously for native English speakers who don't need to speak Chinese at all.

Just did my picks .. I can't believe how many people are choosing against Nurmagomedov on the Pick em. Tibau is tough but I think a lot of people are gonna be wrong about that one. Or it will at least be a lot closer than the numbers represent. We'll see though. Also, I feel icky picking Griffin over Ortiz (strongly considering reversing that one yet). Especially since Griffin has lost his heart in the past few fights and Ortiz seems to be putting his heart and soul into his.

dream

Yeah, after skimming through the 148 thread, I am imploring you all to keep nerd chat insular tonight. Please.

That's because all they remember is the dick-punching.
Ya, I think what I remember most about the early UFCs was how most fighters and audience were completely unprepared for what it was going to be. I still remember when that fat Samoan sumo guy got kicked in the face by Gerard Gordeau one friend said, whoa, someone is going to die, and another said, wtf why are they stopping it, he's still going. A lot of them obviously didn't know how to get hit, maybe never got hit before. It was just more shocking and you forget the 30 minute matches where nothing happened.

I cannot tell troll from serious in the UFC thread. It's lovely.

industrian

Ya, I think what I remember most about the early UFCs was how most fighters and audience were completely unprepared for what it was going to be. I still remember when that fat Samoan sumo guy got kicked in the face by Gerard Gordeau one friend said, whoa, someone is going to die, and another said, wtf why are they stopping it, he's still going. A lot of them obviously didn't know how to get hit, maybe never got hit before. It was just more shocking and you forget the 30 minute matches where nothing happened.

I think it is this factor. Right now it's that regulated and fighters that well-known that fights are rather predictable. Back when you saw a guy wearing a Tae Kwon Do gi going in against a guy wearing a sumo diaper you had no idea what the fuck was going to happen. And in a lot of cases, both fighters would never fight again.

I cannot tell troll from serious in the UFC thread. It's lovely.

MMA GAF's finest hour.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think it is this factor. Right now it's that regulated and fighters that well-known that fights are rather predictable. Back when you saw a guy wearing a Tae Kwon Do gi going in against a guy wearing a sumo diaper you had no idea what the fuck was going to happen. And in a lot of cases, both fighters would never fight again.

Old MMA was literally not fighter vs. fighter, but martial art vs. martial art. I kind of miss that aspect of the novelty. It wasn't about who was the best, most rounded talented fighter like it is today. It was 'omg what would happen if a Judo practitioner fought a wrestler' or 'what if a boxer fought a Karate fighter'?

My favorite was the guy who fought with ONE boxing glove. What the fuck was that guy thinking? I remember watching these shows on PPV over at my late uncle's place with my dad in the mid 90's, it was nuts. It was a sideshow of ridiculousness, but it showcased BJJ and how if you have a one dimensional lineup of martial artists, it will reign supreme more often than not.

TheNatural

My Member!
Reflecting a little here since I haven't spent a single second thinking about Tito's last fight with this PPV, and even though how shitty be became with the caliber of fighters passed him by over the years, he originated a lot of things:

- First true MMA bad guy
- Was in the first widely watched MMA superfight with Frank Shamrock
- Helped mainstream the MMA ref stoppage controversy, which Ken parlayed into two lucrative rematches
- Originated the "we're bros you said we wouldn't fight!" defense Rashad used earlier this year, when he fought Chuck
- Invented 30 new injuries to bones medical science was unaware of, before several Tito postfight interviews

He is a true originator of many things MMA, social, and even medical related. A true Hall of Famer.

Reflecting a little here since I haven't spent a single second thinking about Tito's last fight with this PPV, and even though how shitty be became with the caliber of fighters passed him by over the years, he originated a lot of things:

- First true MMA bad guy
- Was in the first widely watched MMA superfight with Frank Shamrock
- Helped mainstream the MMA ref stoppage controversy, which Ken parlayed into two lucrative rematches
- Originated the "we're bros you said we wouldn't fight!" defense Rashad used earlier this year, when he fought Chuck
- Invented 30 new injuries to bones medical science was unaware of, before several Tito postfight interviews

He is a true originator of many things MMA, social, and even medical related. A true Hall of Famer.

He was also the first MMA star to marry a known skank, paving the way for Brock Lesnar.

dream

UFC_Faber_vs._Barao_large.png

lol.

TheNatural

My Member!
Prelims look like crap, I'm going to miss them anyway, and there's an extra fight on the main card so it's fine with me. I'll be ready to put my MMA OT career on the line in the chat around 10 EST.

TheNatural

My Member!
Spoken like a true Silver fan. Are you smoking rocks, brotha?

More power to you if you want to ride the roller coaster known as the Blackzillian train. I guess it is slightly interesting to see how Melvin Guillard will commit career suicide again on his way to ProElite.

I'm pretty sure UFC GAF knows about this thread. They just don't post cuz if you're not in on the jokes this thread seems pretty stupid. The best defense we have is our personalities.

What's the temp in your city today, Natch?

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm pretty sure UFC GAF knows about this thread. They just don't post cuz if you're not in on the jokes this thread seems pretty stupid. The best defense we have is our personalities.

What's the temp in your city today, Natch?

106 baby. Scorched earth, the way I like it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Ya, I think what I remember most about the early UFCs was how most fighters and audience were completely unprepared for what it was going to be. I still remember when that fat Samoan sumo guy got kicked in the face by Gerard Gordeau one friend said, whoa, someone is going to die, and another said, wtf why are they stopping it, he's still going.
My god... I just went to watch this and it's the Kamekona guy from Hawaii Five-0. I thought the guy looked familiar... I just never put it together.

A lot of them obviously didn't know how to get hit, maybe never got hit before. It was just more shocking and you forget the 30 minute matches where nothing happened.y.
You can also see how the sport has evolved even beyond crazy things like crucifixing someone and spike-elbowing them to death. Look at old clips of guys like Pedro Rizzo (before he went to Pride)... there's no way anyone who leaves their head exposed like that would survive these days.

Not even in a titty bar with no cover.

My god... I just went to watch this and it's the Kamekona guy from Hawaii Five-0. I thought the guy looked familiar... I just never put it together.
Oh, I never saw the new H5O. Weird. I also didn't know he was from Hawaii, but for some reason I knew he was Samoan.

Top Bottom