• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
brah if machida crucified bader in the middle of the octagon, lit him on fire, and then pissed on his smoldering corpse, he still wouldnt get a title shot. his lifeless corpse bouncing off the octagon a year ago vs JBJ is still too fresh in the minds of ppl to let that shit slide.

no way, no how does that fight get made.

As if Shogun and Bader did any better? Personally I hope Machida gets it just we can troll Ryuto-GAF some more.

yacobod

Banned
brahs i'm going to make the OP for UFC on Fox 4. it's going to be as bad as the event.

vera's going to beat shogun on saturday, you can take it to the bank, the blood bank...

hard-to-kill-10.jpg

TheChits

brah if machida crucified bader in the middle of the octagon, lit him on fire, and then pissed on his smoldering corpse, he still wouldnt get a title shot. his lifeless corpse bouncing off the octagon a year ago vs JBJ is still too fresh in the minds of ppl to let that shit slide.

no way, no how does that fight get made.

While this is probably true, Machida is the only light heavyweight I can see beating Jones at the moment.

SteveWD40

It's okay, it happens to the best of us. I quietly got salty over a loss in women's ping pong.

Well, if you won as few medals as we did, hadn't won a medal in that event in 100 years and then have a Silver snatched and turned Bronze...you might cry tears of brine as well ;)

But yeah, I think I got my pubes pulled by some Junior.

Jon Bones Jones ‏@JonnyBones

Well that wasn't very smart “@dave_hobbit: @JonnyBones vera said he didnt train hard to fight u bc he thought u were a punk, what a bum”

Hahaha, Vera is a dumbass

yacobod

Banned
Machida has come the closet to beating jones given a second chance he could give him a run for his money.

getting fucking raped and having your lifeless corpse bounced off the mat = closest to beating jones?

point fighting karate for 1 round does not equal success. god damn bader, shogun, rampage, and rashad all did better than machida. none of them was left for dead at the end of their fights.

Heel

Either me or the UFC has a serious disconnect with what fans want to see. But apparently there is a sect of fans who think one of these guys actually has a shot in a rematch with Bones and will pay to see it.

I want to see something new, even if I think they will all lose just the same. I mean...why not Gus? Why not Glover if he beats Rampage? WHY NOT MFC VETERAN AND UFC RECORD HOLDER RYAN JIMMO?

I want Vera to get the title shot so bad. It'll be hilarious.

getting fucking raped and having your lifeless corpse bounced off the mat = closest to beating jones?

point fighting karate for 1 round does not equal success. god damn bader, shogun, rampage, and rashad all did better than machida. none of them was left for dead at the end of their fights.

dat truth

Either me or the UFC has a serious disconnect with what fans want to see. But apparently there is a sect of fans who think one of these guys actually has a shot in a rematch with Bones and will pay to see it.

I want to see something new, even if I think they will all lose just the same. I mean...why not Gus? Why not Glover if he beats Rampage? WHY NOT MFC VETERAN AND UFC RECORD HOLDER RYAN JIMMO?

I'm wanting Vera for the chaos factor.

SteveWD40

Either me or the UFC has a serious disconnect with what fans want to see. But apparently there is a sect of fans who think one of these guys actually has a shot in a rematch with Bones.

Gus should be next.

Right now I think even a kid like Jim Manuwa would do better than some them, at least with a few UFC wins, undefeated and almost all KO's (mostly scrubs yes)...

By the time Gustafsson has had a crack he might be hype worthy.

Hendo is beating Jones anyway

God I hope so, I doubt it but I hope so... Jones could use some humility beating into him.

yacobod

Banned
I'd like to hear one coherent argument that would put Bader, Machida, Vera, or Shogun in front of young Mauler for a title shot.

the floor is yours.

I was just looking at the stats. The next title contender for JBJ could be a guy who currently has one win in the past three years and its against Elliot "the Fire" Marshall. It would be so great.

I was just looking at the stats. The next title contender for JBJ could be a guy who currently has one win in the past three years and its against Elliot "the Fire" Marshall. It would be so great.

If Vera does get a title shot against Jones they should put it on FOX so the casuals can actually witness a KTFO

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want to know if anyone in favor of Gus getting a title shot is also against Weidman getting a title shot. The hypocrisy would be amusing.

yacobod

Banned
I want to know if anyone in favor of Gus getting a title shot is also against Weidman getting a title shot. The hypocrisy would be amusing.

why would anyone be? both MW and LHW are barren and boring divisions. at least weidman is now actively campaigning for the fight. i still think he should have taken the vitor fight if it was offered to him, take care of business, build up his stock off an old name, and then take a title shot, but if he got it now i wouldn't care, i just wouldn't really give a shit about the fight.

Heel

The thing is, there's no evidence that Weidman was ever offered the fight. Joe Silva makes the matches, not @VictorGracie. Weidman thinks he's ready for the shot now, and Joe making Belcher vs. Gracie leads me to believe that Joe agrees. Sadly there seems to be some backstage politrickin' going down from one Anderson Silver, which may lead us to something like Weidman vs. Maklershed.

TheNatural

My Member!
Gus isn't a wrestler, that's the main difference. And Gus has a little more name value than Weidman, with length like Jones so it would be a marketable matchup.

Anderson has had 3 of his last 4 fights against wrestlers and finished all of them. Seems like a nice guy, but no one is buying him as a legit threat right now - he should be facing Bisping to see if he's actually better than him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Gus isn't a wrestler, that's the main difference. And Gus has a little more name value than Weidman, with length like Jones so it would be a marketable matchup.

Anderson has had 3 of his last 4 fights against wrestlers and finished all of them. Seems like a nice guy, but no one is buying him as a legit threat right now - he should be facing Bisping to see if he's actually better than him.

I call bullshit on everything you just said Natch.

Heel

Plausible future:

Weidman (last fought July 11th) vs. Maklershed (last fought July 21st) for title shot

Winner of Bisping/Stann (September 22nd) vs. Belcher/Gracie (October 13th) for title shot

Silver holds up the division

yacobod

Banned
on the other side of the coin, i can see why anderson and mickey soares wouldn't want to fight weidman. anderson is 38 and is probably in it at this point to make some bank. anderson historically isn't a great draw unless he's matched up with someone who can draw some legit heat. so why settle for a fight with weidman that can do at best 500k ppv buys, when he could fight GSP, Nick Diaz, or maybe some mystery 205 guy and do upwards of 800k and make some paper.

fighting weidman is a lose, lose, lose for anderson.

TLDR = there's no reason for anderson to fight weidman.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That's fine. I'm sure if Weidman does fight Silva anyway, all everything said now will be retconned as "LOL was a dog, doesn't count."

Has nothing to do with that. Weidman has done more to be the #1 contender than Gus. What kind of fighter he is or who the bigger draw is, is completely irrelevant (not that Alex is a draw in the first place). Call me when Gus actually fights a top 10 guy at 205.

Heel

on the other side of the coin, i can see why anderson and mickey soares wouldn't want to fight weidman. anderson is 38 and is probably in it at this point to make some bank. anderson historically isn't a great draw unless he's matched up with someone who can draw some legit heat. so why settle for a fight with weidman that can do at best 500k ppv buys, when he could fight GSP, Nick Diaz, or maybe some mystery 205 guy and do upwards of 800k and make some paper.

Exactly friend, Silver is 38 and legitimately silver. He wants to keep the paydays coming while he still can.

On the other hand, the savvy businessman Uncle Dana wants him to pass the torch and put someone over because he can't build a star worth a lick. Being "the man who beat the man" is the only way they know how to keep the ball rolling. Whoever beats Silver will be marketed as a new phenom and keep UFC afloat post-Anderson.

Can we talk about more important things? Like how chunky Shogun is gonna look this Saturday.

Over or under his chunkiness at the fight against Hendo.

Im gonna say under.

It's pretty funny how every fighter in the main event and co-main this weekend has been demolished by Jones already. I definitely hope that Hendo beats Jones and then Jones gets a rematch rather than have Jones fight Shogun or Vera again.

ShaneB

TLDR = there's no reason for anderson to fight weidman.

So are we confirming that the titles mean nothing if a division isn't about who is the best fighter but who can get the most ppv buys?

yacobod

Banned
Can we talk about more important things? Like how chunky Shogun is gonna look this Saturday.

Over or under his chunkiness at the fight against Hendo.

Im gonna say under.

over because Fatgun doesn't give a damn about fighting anymore. he's gonna be fatter than Fatpage in japan.

TheNatural

My Member!
Has nothing to do with that. Weidman has done more to be the #1 contender than Gus. What kind of fighter he is or who the bigger draw is, is completely irrelevant (not that Alex is a draw in the first place). Call me when Gus actually fights a top 10 guy at 205.

LOL irrelevant to what? You realize this is fighting right? You know, combat where guys like De La Hoya and Mosely get the big fights against Pacquaio and Mayweather despite being way past their prime - because people pay to see them fight.

Anderson probably has a good 4 fights left in him, and every one should be some sort of superfight while the GOAT is still around. No one wants to see a Silva vs. Weidman, Bisping, Rockhold, Boetsch slate to end his career. They rather see Belfort, Diaz, GSP, and Rashad fights.

Styles and marketability matter, not which wrestler beats another wrestler to get a shot, which has seemed to happen for the last year and a half of his contenders.

yacobod

Banned
So are we confirming that the titles mean nothing if a division isn't about who is the best fighter but who can get the most ppv buys?

for somebody like anderson silva, who's 38, has already cleared out a division two or three times, and is on a 16 fight winning streak (15 in the ultimate). YES. he only cares about ppv buys and legacy. i don't think the title means anything to him at this point. he's widely considered p4p and GOAT at this point, so i don't think his legacy is in danger.

SO ITS ALL ABOUT THAT CHEDDAR.

Heel

LOL irrelevant to what? You realize this is fighting right? You know, combat where guys like De La Hoya and Mosely get the big fights against Pacquaio and Mayweather despite being way past their prime - because people pay to see them fight.

Anderson probably has a good 4 fights left in him, and every one should be some sort of superfight while the GOAT is still around. No one wants to see a Silva vs. Weidman, Bisping, Rockhold, Boetsch slate to end his career. They rather see Belfort, Diaz, GSP, and Rashad fights.

Styles and marketability matter, not which wrestler beats another wrestler to get a shot, which has seemed to happen for the last year and a half of his contenders.

Friend, you're a fanboy who wants to see Silva walk off into the sunset crushing cans. Even Vadim would blush reading this. We cannot take your opinion seriously in this matter.

UFC is a business that will gladly sidestep a few thousand PPV buys to insure that Anderson puts over a young phenom before he steps out the door. When Weidman beats Silver he will make up for it 10 fold down the road. Weidman has no build because they don't know how to build stars. Beating Andeson IS the build.

ShaneB

for somebody like anderson silva, who's 38, has already cleared out a division two or three times, and is on a 16 fight winning streak (15 in the ultimate). YES. he only cares about ppv buys and legacy. i don't think the title means anything to him at this point. he's widely considered p4p and GOAT at this point, so i don't think his legacy is in danger.

SO ITS ALL ABOUT THAT CHEDDAR.

Sigh. I'm just bitter because I hate Canderson, and how boring the division is when you've got a champ like him, that makes the rest of the roster seem useless. God dammit. Want his head knocked off.

yacobod

Banned
Sigh. I'm just bitter because I hate Canderson, and how boring the division is when you've got a champ like him, that makes the rest of the roster seem useless. God dammit. Want his head knocked off.

so why do you like Georges?

I imagine after like 16 surgeries it would get kind of old pretty quickly.

i concur. it's hard for me to get fired up to see him fight, when he doesn't really care anymore. so i'm overly negative about pridefc legend shogun rua.

yacobod

Banned
When did I ever say I liked GSP? Sure my Canadian pride comes out and I've enjoyed seeing him win a few matches, but I'll praying for Condit to win to switch things up in that division as well.

apologies i tend to lump you guys all together with that drunken mountie that frequents our merry community from time to time.

although i do think 170 has gotten pretty interesting since he's been out for the last 16 months or so. i think there are plenty of good matches for GSP if he wants to keep defending the belt. hitman kampmann, nasty nick diaz, johnny hendricks, rory, there are enough guys to keep busy with now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Then as I've said before, vacate the title and enjoy all the Canderson Silva super fights you want.

And Natch is usually the first one to throw guys under the bus for being inactive and not defending the title.

FYI, a welterweight coming off a loss isn't a super fight.
Friend, you're a fanboy who wants to see Silva walk off into the sunset crushing cans. Even Vadim would blush reading this. We cannot take your opinion seriously in this matter.

Top Bottom