• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

It does look like a better card than the last ppvs.
As for Phil on the prelims, *shrug shoulders* I guess Joe Silva now thinks he's a can. I'm not sure why he's not on the main card either since he still has upside whereas Swick is what he is and one loss away from possibly being cut, and always missing large chunks of time.

They want people to watch the prelims

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Am I crazy for thinking the UFC on FOX 4 main card is a better line up on paper than the past few PPVs? Also, I'm not complaining because I know Johnson/Swick will be a good fight but is anyone else perplexed how this makes it to the main card while Davis is relegated to prelims?

No, I agree! First card in a while I'm at least semi-excited for.

I usually cheer for fighters that have visited the bar I work at so that would be Lauzon and Vera.........but I refuse to cheer for Vera since its kind of silly that hes in a main event

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wagner Prado is a legit prospect. It's likely he gets smothered by Davis for 3 rounds but I'm excited to see him in the Ultimate.

Heel

Wagner Prado is a legit prospect. It's likely he gets smothered by Davis for 3 rounds but I'm excited to see him in the Ultimate.

I agree friend. Another baptism by fire by Joe Silva, but if he can somehow stay off his back he could certainly put a thumpin' on Mr. Wonderful.

In the long term he's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Guys like him and Jimi Manuwa give me hope that this division can be revitalized in due time.

SteveWD40

I agree friend. Another baptism by fire by Joe Silva, but if he can somehow stay off his back he could certainly put a thumpin' on Mr. Wonderful.

In the long term he's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Guys like him and Jimi Manuwa give me hope that this division can be revitalized in due time.

I just hope Poster Boy can keep up that nasty streak in the ultimate.

Heel

Not many big names, but some great debuts and a ton of scrap appeal from top to bottom. Only Akira will get injured. Believe.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Not many big names, but some great debuts and a ton of scrap appeal from top to bottom. Only Akira will get injured. Believe.

I would've, until you just jinxed it! Now we'll get a card full of Jim Millers :(

TheNatural

My Member!
Teddy Riner, considered by many as the best judoka on earth and the favorite to win the Gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, gave his opinion on the UFC & MMA in a French paper:

On the UFC:
"It is a sport where there is no moral value. The rules are basic: Do not strike in the eyes and genitals ... It's the least we can require, right? I have two nephews and a niece, and I mainly did not want to see them fight like that. When there are violent sports on TV, it's simple, I zap! "

On MMA:
"Fighting in a cage doesn't appeal to me," said the Frenchman, adding that MMA lacks the traditional respect in a martial art and promotes brutal attacks not allowed in judo. "There is no moral code in MMA. I am a warrior on the tatami, but you always have to respect your opponent."

ULl7j.jpg

Jitters

Am I crazy for thinking the UFC on FOX 4 main card is a better line up on paper than the past few PPVs? Also, I'm not complaining because I know Johnson/Swick will be a good fight but is anyone else perplexed how this makes it to the main card while Davis is relegated to prelims?

It kind of does, which is why I'm upset I'm not looking more forward to it.

Heel

I would've, until you just jinxed it! Now we'll get a card full of Jim Millers :(

Thank our lucky stars that Jim Miller is already injured and can't fill in. I think that means the curse is lifted and good karma is on our side. Fingers crossed!

Teddy Riner, considered by many as the best judoka on earth and the favorite to win the Gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, gave his opinion on the UFC & MMA in a French paper:

ULl7j.jpg

The supposed moral-bound martial artist Anderson proved this is all true, friend.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
He clearly has not seen all the respect GSP gives to his sparring partners in the Octagon. The only reason he does not finish is because he wants to respectfully outclass them with a technical decision.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
On MMA:
"Fighting in a cage doesn't appeal to me," said the Frenchman, adding that MMA lacks the traditional respect in a martial art and promotes brutal attacks not allowed in judo. "There is no moral code in MMA. I am a warrior on the tatami, but you always have to respect your opponent."
Can't blame the uninitiated for this opinion. When you market your sport with Time to End This Suffering, you can't expect to be taken seriously.

Quote:

On MMA:

So would he fight in a ring? I think changing from cage to ring would be better for the sport. A ring is traditional and appeals to a broader audience. Boxing and wrasslin agree.

dream

Holy shit, Olympic boxing is hilarious. One guy just stormed out for getting DQ'd. Following that, some Irishman won his fight by default because his opponent no-showed. The commentators are bitching about the inconsistent officiating. This fucking rules.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Holy shit, Olympic boxing is hilarious. One guy just stormed out for getting DQ'd. Following that, some Irishman won his fight by default because his opponent no-showed. The commentators are bitching about the inconsistent officiating. This fucking rules.

So its just like pro boxing sans the glassing?

dream

Someone explain the judging to me, please. ECU just lost round 1 to BLR by a 9-4 margin and this confuzzles me.

He said the same thing back in november but Bertrand Amoussou, his former judo trainer and brother of Bellator fighter Karl Amoussou, said that Teddy Riner was a big fan of Fedor and that he might be manipulated by the president of the French judo federation (who hates MMA).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
We're still far away from finding out UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's next opponent.

But on Wednesday, Silva's manager, Ed Soares, emphatically stated he doesn't think a bout with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the right fight to make.

Speaking with reporters at the UFC on FOX 4 open workouts at the JW Marriott hotel in downtown Los Angeles, Soares ridiculed the notion of making a champion vs. champion super fight.

"I don't think it's a good fight," Soares said. "I think number one, Jon Jones, said he doesn't want the fight, and Anderson said he doesn't want the fight. What is it going to do for Jones if he goes go down in weight to fight Anderson? If he loses it's going to ruin him. If Anderson Silva moves up in weight and fights Jon Jones, here's a lighter guy who's going to take my title? C'mon dude.

"Anderson is fighting a much younger guy, a much bigger guy, and Jon Jones is going to be fighting a smaller guy who technically could be better than him. I can see why each guy wouldn't want to fight. What's the upside?"

When a reporter replied "money" to Soares rhetorical question, Soares answered "There's money out there regardless."

"[UFC president] Dana [White] can't force anyone to fight at a bigger weight class," Soares continued. Anderson is the 185-pound champion. He'll fight anyone you put in front of him. So make Jon Jones make 185 pounds if you want that to happen."

With Soares insisting that Jones vs. Silva is unlikely, that leaves the question of Silva's next title defense open. There's a pack of fighters looking to make their case, the most vocal of whom has been Chris Weidman, who is ranked No. 3 at 185 pounds by MMAFighting.com. But Soares summarily dismissed Weidman when asked.

"I mean, because he had an impressive win over Mark Munoz and [Demian] Maia?" Soares paused and rolled his eyes before adding "Sure."

One name that Soares didn't reflexively reject was former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz, whose manager, Cesar Gracie, said on Friday that Diaz would like a fight with the champion.

"Sure, we'll consider anyone the UFC puts in front of us, I don't have a choice," said Soares. "Nick Diaz is a good opponent possibly, I mean, he's a smaller guy, but he's a guy who comes out and fights every time, he's going to put on a good fight."

Of course, Diaz is under suspension until February, so Soares, like the rest of us, will wait and see what the UFC offers Silva.

"I don't know what's going to happen, that's a question for Dana and [UFC matchmaker Joe] Silva."

How long can Natch keep defending Canderson's shenanigans?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just how many Silvas are associated with teh UFC?

Joe
Anderson
Bigfoot
Wanderlei
Erick
Thiago

That's alotta Silvas.

Top Bottom