• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
He even gasses when he's committing crimes.

It's ok. I understand. He's already down there... so, why not...

silvafujita45on.jpg

Sucks about Mayhem, he seems legit depressed since his UFC release. He seems like a cool dude but the dudes got serious depression issues. I hope he gets better.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mayhem used to put on pretty exciting fights with what I thought was pretty decent competition. He's been a mess since he got into the UFC though. Probably a combination of injuries, age, motivation, etc. Crazy thing is even in his embarrassing UFC fights he still had chances to win.

Heel

Please, a little respect for Mastre Brockinho's bottom game. What a beautiful Kimura Lock. Hopefully we get a Gracie Breakdown.

SteveWD40

Sucks about Mayhem, he seems legit depressed since his UFC release. He seems like a cool dude but the dudes got serious depression issues. I hope he gets better.

Yeah, I always liked him and was happy to see him in the UFC, sure he clearly had conditioning issues but he still had skills.

I think he could have exited quietly and gone to SF / Bellator etc... and, with work, done pretty well but he clearly has issues.

Dana did seem pretty depressed about their feud, no one wants this sort of thing on their conscience.

GungHo

From all outward appearances, I'd say the guy's bipolar, but I could be self-identifying. If he hasn't had treatment, I hope he gets it. It's actually not that hard to regulate, but you have to stay on the magic pills and recognize your peaks and valleys, because it's also not that hard to let it overcome you and become a self-destructive shit.

Wow, there's one-fight shows and then there's one-fight shows:

UFC 151

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
•Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson (for light-heavyweight title)
•Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron
•Dennis Siver vs. Eddie Yagin
•Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares
•John Lineker vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
•Danny Castillo vs. Michael Johnson
•Jeff Hougland vs. Takeya Mizugaki
•Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo
•Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez

I usually dig the undercard fights even when it's lesser known talent but this...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
And after that we have the wonders of UFC 152 to look forward to.

After that we've got two decent-looking Fuel and FX cards before UFC 153 rescues us all (Jon Fitch's involvement notwithstanding.)

UFC 151

I usually dig the undercard fights even when it's lesser known talent but this...

Four great fights right there. Siver vs Yagin has definite FOTN potential.

That thread about gaffers wanting to remain childless makes me happy. My alpha child doesn't have to worry about their beta children making shitty threads on the internet.

Dennis Hallman on the main card in 2012? I'll be keeping an eye out for meteors.

That'd be great if they put him on a card for December 21st. See if he even bothers to train for it.

EDIT: Is anyone else seeing the 'see anyone's arrest record' banner ad below? That seems pretty shameful to use those pictures in an ad. That one girl is bawling her eyes out. :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve

UFC 151

I don't think the main event is anything special either. The only thing that's going to keep Hendo from getting destroyed is Greg Jackson gameplanning more than necessary.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
That'd be great if they put him on a card for December 21st. See if he even bothers to train for it.

EDIT: Is anyone else seeing the 'see anyone's arrest record' banner ad below? That seems pretty shameful to use those pictures in an ad. That one girl is bawling her eyes out. :(

Nope, get this on the web app! Very fitting!

HIyIEl.jpg

ShaneB

Did the mention of Greg Jackson bring up the 'weighted blankets" ad? Interesting.

edit: well now that I actually read your quip.. seems like I'm late on the joke.

Please, a little respect for Tachi Palace veteran and island scrapper Eddie Yagin.

He's been putting on some fun fights lately but mah boy Siver is gonna kick him in the stomach so hard he'll end the fight looking like Jesse Ventura in Predator.

Please, a little respect for Tachi Palace veteran and island scrapper Eddie Yagin.
The fact that you like that guy bothers me.

Also that thread bother me because MMA is just the name of the sport and most of those idiots act like it is a discipline.

Heel

You guys just don't understand. Island scrapper Eddie Yagin is a true underdog story. He just has so much "heart" if you know what I mean. Last of a dying breed from MMA's cockfighting roots. I cannot root against that.

SteveWD40

Also that thread bother me because MMA is just the name of the sport and most of those idiots act like it is a discipline.

I was more disturbed by the dude doing "advanced knife fighting" in Krag Maga, that shit will get you killed. Usain Bolt is my knife fighting instructor...

Plus, where the fuck are you hanging out you need to train that shit?

GungHo

I'd rather box than MMA.
Silly GAF, MMA's not a verb.

I could see an argument that it's a concept/philosophy in the same way that Jeet Kun Do is a concept/philosophy, but that's about as fancy as I could see it get.

Great... so how much does it cost to buy my future kid a black belt in this?

I was more disturbed by the dude doing "advanced knife fighting" in Krag Maga, that shit will get you killed. Usain Bolt is my knife fighting instructor...

Plus, where the fuck are you hanging out you need to train that shit?
I view the krav maga explosion with the same derisive eye I viewed the explosion of BJJ and TKD and Shotokan Karate before it. You have a core of people who know what they're actually doing and a fuckton of parasites, carrion feeders, and snake oil salesmen trying to make a buck off of being "Green Beret Sensei Master Steve "JoeBob" Wilson, who learned fighting techniques from General Eisenhower Patton during the invasion of Belize".

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I view the krav maga explosion with the same derisive eye I viewed the explosion of BJJ and TKD and Shotokan Karate before it. You have a core of people who know what they're actually doing and a fuckton of parasites, carrion feeders, and snake oil salesmen trying to make a buck off of being "Green Beret Sensei Master Steve "JoeBob" Wilson, who learned fighting techniques from General Eisenhower Patton during the invasion of Belize".

Isn't "commercial" Krav Maga just a buzzword for shake n' bake self defence classes anyways? From my understanding the core concept of Krav Maga is completely aimed for defensive military/police usage. And unless they want to do constant drills day in day out it's not going to be fairly effective for untrained civilians - especially if they're deluded enough to think they can win barehanded against a knife-wielding assailant.

And for that reason and a few others I'm actually against training in martial arts primarily for self-defence. There's too much mental preoccupation on things to remember and reliance on drills for that. Learning a martial art for sport and/or self-improvement doesn't just teach you how to defend yourself effectively and how to read situations - it burns it into your skull and makes it second nature. Which is a much better concept than training for the sole purpose of in the unlikely event you get jumped and in the unlikely event your assailant makes one of those moves that you trained exclusively for.

That said if someone comes at you with a knife and you're barehanded, it's best to call the cops and run to a brightly lit area with a lot of people.

TheNatural

My Member!

Whatever duder. Just earned my UFC purple belt last night, I get sent one in the mail by Affliction bro.

GungHo

Isn't "commercial" Krav Maga just a buzzword for shake n' bake self defence classes anyways?
I hate this answer, but "It depends." There are people who "genuinely" teach it as a fighting system in and of itself... just like there are people who genuinely teach penjak silat or escrima. There are also people who co-opt the name and use it to rip people off and give them a false sense of confidence. It's very much a buyer beware market.

Top Bottom