• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

Wow, reading the reactions to the K-1 deal has been fucking mind numbing. Even the most hardcore of fight fans, even self-proclaimed kickboxing fans, have no idea the roster is gutted and they're about to eat a generous helping of K-1 level chicken shit.

The brand name they bought will be worthless if they run it into the ground with an inferior product. There's a real risk they set the sport back another 20 years in the States.

thirty

Banned
Wow, reading the reactions to the K-1 deal has been fucking mind numbing. Even the most hardcore of fight fans, even self-proclaimed kickboxing fans, have no idea the roster is gutted and they're about to eat a generous helping of K-1 level chicken shit.

The brand name they bought will be worthless if they run it into the ground with an inferior product. There's a real risk they set the sport back another 20 years in the States.
I don't think it matters. there's a damn hunger for all combat sports other than boxing that spike tv is just rolling with it. I attended a push kick promotions muay Thai event this past Saturday in LA and the crowd was nuts. every mauy Thai school in the LA area was represented as well as Rafael cordiero's kings mma who had 1-2 fighters on the card. werdum and babalu were there with kings and taking picks with fans. over all the thais dominated but you're comparing a Thai fighter with 60-70+ fights vs an American fighter who's training is split between jui jitsu, wrestling, and muay Thai and probably less than 10 fights. fun event overall that shows these single decipline events can be successful and there's a market for it. btw, John Wayne Parr's caged muay Thai fight is available on YouTube.

But don't you think they could turn into chicken salad, friend?

I don't think it matters. there's a damn hunger for all combat sports other than boxing that spike tv is just rolling with it. I attended a push kick promotions muay Thai event this past Saturday in LA and the crowd was nuts. every mauy Thai school in the LA area was represented as well as Rafael cordiero's kings mma who had 1-2 fighters on the card. werdum and babalu were there with kings and taking picks with fans. over all the thais dominated but you're comparing a Thai fighter with 60-70+ fights vs an American fighter who's training is split between jui jitsu, wrestling, and muay Thai and probably less than 10 fights. fun event overall that shows these single decipline events can be successful and there's a market for it. btw, John Wayne Parr's caged muay Thai fight is available on YouTube.
I haven't looked at the results but I'm guessing Malaipet jobbed again as he normally does these days, being a MT version of Bob Sapp, amirite?

dream

If we're being honest, though, I would argue that kickboxing, as a sport, is obsolete in 2012. I mean, really, who gives a shit? It's somehow even less compelling than boxing.

Heel

Glory needs to move in on their turf. They have the talent...

They have like all the talent.

I assume AXS has GLORY on lockdown contract wise. I think they're more interested in the brand name anyway. Its not "GLORY-level striking" even though it should be at this point. K-1 brand has too much cachet.

If we're being honest, though, I would argue that kickboxing, as a sport, is obsolete in 2012. I mean, really, who gives a shit? It's somehow even less compelling than boxing.

Does that stop you from liking professional wrestling or comic books? Who cares, it's entertaining,

TheChits

Which current UFC fighter do you guys think would make the best XARM competitor?

hulkpalhares.gif

MjFrancis

I'm late on the gossip, guys. I just now figured out DREAM is officially dead.

Life has been moving fast enough that I've only had time to watch UFC and little else, anyways. I did watch the Ronda Rousey thing, but that was like watching someone get beat up for their lunch money rather than a sanctioned match between skilled competitors.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
WW2 analogy time:

is MMA-GAF like Anne Frank's attic hiding place?

or

is MMA-GAF like the Warsaw Ghetto?

MMA GAF is Pavlov's House. Locked up, constantly under fire, killed if we go outside, no reinforcements... but we endure.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I was once banned for saying "Liam Neeson". You never know what the fuck you're going to get hammered for on GAF.

Hell, WrikaWrek is STILL banned.

Next time we all convene for church of nerd chat we need to discuss a back up plan if/when shit goes down.

TheNatural

My Member!
That shit is banned, yet stuff like "G-A-F: Mom rapes kid with boyfriend" type shit is posted every day.

How about making a shitbin section of the site where all that weird shit, pointless tired sexism threads, and religious/atheist shit can all go to fester so morons can waste their time arguing about all day from the rest of normal society?

ShaneB

That shit is banned, yet stuff like "G-A-F: Mom rapes kid with boyfriend" type shit is posted every day.

How about making a shitbin section of the site where all that weird shit, pointless tired sexism threads, and religious/atheist shit can all go to fester so morons can waste their time arguing about all day from the rest of normal society?

Agreed, I don't mind the OT for a few things, but there is a lot of nonsense that I'd rather not know about. Sigh...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Don't you know? It's just the news, we need to be informed of that shit. Everyday!

yacobod

Banned
Uncle Dana said:
Yes, I could see @RondaRousey vs. Cyborg as a co-main or main event for a @UFC pay per view. Rousey is incredible.

Hot-Rod Rowdy Ronda vs Cybrog Santos could have the best build-up of the year.

Top Bottom