• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

SteveWD40

Would've been one of the easiest W's in his career. Chael has no chance to get into "fight shape" on 8 days notice. The Machida fight a few weeks later will be a much tougher fight.

But...I don't blame them for turning it down on principle. Just doesn't make sense from a business and legacy-building perspective.

Fuck him and his "legacy", this is fighting and he just ducked an easy win, Sonnen comes away looking like a boss, willing to take that fight on 8 days notice after a loss not long ago? I would say he has massive balls but...

@bisping
Jones said he's not fighting chael on 8 days notice. I did. .... Just sayin

z1cjl.gif

SteveWD40

One point, how many fighters just lost a payday they might have been counting on? Bones just became the most hated guy on the roster.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah Jones has turned heel to me, much like Pacquaio. Jackson is gunning for Arum as the biggest piece of shit in the fight business.

I don't care how young he is, stop being a fucking retard.

dream

I told you all along that Bones Jones was bitchmade, FACE. F that drunk driving adulterous white woman coveting coward.

SteveWD40

@arielhelwani: Dana: good for you Jon Jones that you have money but there's a bunch of guys that needed to fight to feed their families.

Edit: to be fair though, Dana could pay all those guys there "show up" fee's and not notice the lightness in his wallet based on the other guys on the card and their payscale.

@KingMoFH
@JonnyBones is smart....its a business. Dont knock him for his decision. Yall aint in his shoes!!! U dont see it in big boxing events

Also so Jones not taking a fight on 8 days notices means he is a coward but Anderson straight up ducking a dude is cool?

TheNatural

My Member!

Edit: to be fair though, Dana could pay all those guys there "show up" fee's and not notice the lightness in his wallet based on the other guys on the card and their payscale.

They'll all get their fights on the next few cards, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dana hooks them up with some cash to compensate like 6 and 6 guys getting paid 10 and 10 or so.

Fifty

This is a pretty mature response by Greg Jackson. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2...na-white-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-mauro-ranallo

I know everyone loves it when Dana goes off, but it does come off as pretty unprofessional when what amounts to the commissioner is throwing around public insults like that.
(just as unprofessional as Jones not taking a fight on a week's notice amiright?!)

Jackson pointed out that Jones didn't turn down the fight on eight days notice but that it's really three days due to fight week being full of weight cutting and media obligations.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days notice and I don't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said on The MMA Show. "Three days to fight a guy that caliber is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

Jackson said that to fight someone of Sonnen's caliber, you "need to have a full training camp. That would seem smart to me. Fighting on three days notice isn't taking (the sport) seriously to me." He added that the decision wasn't solely his, but that Jones' entire team met and discussed whether to take the Sonnen fight on short notice. He merely added his opinion.

da Silva's extended vacations are total bullshit.
Agree, fighting only once a year is complete bs. Also he could do more to sell fights himself instead of relying on Chael to make people want to buy the card. Also his fights where he jerked off instead of fighting were complete bs and are a big reason why he needs opponents to sell the fight for him. So ya fuck Andy too.

Ænima

This is a pretty mature response by Greg Jackson. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/2...na-white-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-mauro-ranallo

I know everyone loves it when Dana goes off, but it does come off as pretty unprofessional when what amounts to the commissioner is throwing around public insults like that.
(just as unprofessional as Jones not taking a fight on a week's notice amiright?!)
It is bullshit. Jones has been preparing for a fight this entire time, so it is not like he wouldn't be in shape for it. Here is a hint on Chael: he will try and take you down. That is it. That is all he can do. What kind of gameplanning even needs to be done to prepare to fight Sonnen?

dream

Whilst I'm sure that weak-minded Uncle Jon did seek Greg Jackson's input, Dana should not forget that Uncle Jon is a grown man and Greg Jackson is just another huckster who invented his own martial art.

Heel

This is Uncle Dana's fault for spreading his product too thin. Hes making Greg tha Gawd and Jon the scapegoat for his over-ambitious booking that finally bit him in the ass. It is Zuffa's fault and decision to cancel the card, not theirs. I can't believe some of you are buying into this transparent Jedi mind trickery.

It is mildly historic that they decided to cancel the thing. It's going to be nice seeing the impact of cutting just a single show has on the subsequent cards. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise and Uncle Dana will realize its time to pare back on card quantity to stop this from happening?

Top Bottom