• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/2...ones-turn-down-chael-sonnen-ufc-151-cancelled

when it comes to competition Hendo is one of the GOATS ..Sonnen is not..the gap between the two is immense to me.

Self promotion..well thats the only place where sonnen excels
Regardless, Sonnen still has one of the best resumes at Middleweight in recent years and was in one of the largest fights the UFC has put out. It isn't much worse than the rematches against guys Jones trashed and with a recently losing record (such as Machida being 2-3.)

Weidman also supposedly offered to fight and was talking with the UFC. Again, I would't really say that's much worse than him fighting Shogun and Machida repeatedly. Basically losing out on great opportunities to salvage the event with fresh match ups that legitimately interesting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UFC continues their anger and puts out a childish, spiteful press release. If they want to be a major sport, they should behave like one.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-151-cancelled-press-release-082312

Jones chose not to fight Sonnen, fine, he can take some blame. But the UFC also chose to put on a second consecutive Jon Jones card with zero fights that could be seriously be considered a co-main event. Jon Jones's legacy is tarnished, supposedly, for this cowardly act. Well what about the UFC's reputation? It's ridiculous making people pay $850 for floor tickets to a card that only has one relevant fight. Dana White said the UFC is different than boxing because all of his cards are stacked. Well, today he just became boxing.
no need for damage control.

Chael doesn't deserve the title shot, even if it would have been an easy win.
Dana makes too many cards and now his product is weak.

Oh, and Bones doesn't owe the rest of the fighters on that card shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Too much talk about Jones. Place the blame on the serpentine Greg Jackson.

Georges needs to get away from that sport killer.

Dana is a moron. I guarantee he had the event canceled just to teach Jones (and by way of Jones the other primadonnas who now want to choose their fights) a lesson and assumes all the fans and other fighters will be angry at him. But this is gonna backfire on UFC. The fans are the ones being hurt. The people that bought the tickets and travel arrangements. They wont be mad at Jones - they'll be mad at UFC for not making a substitute fight. How many other headline fights have they shuffled at the last minute this year? It wouldn't have been anything new to get two new fighters or to ..sigh.. bump Hieron/Ellenberger to the main event. Or even better - make the whole PPV free.

BTW I wonder how long Dana and co knew Henderson wasn't gonna fight. Is this why he made the sudden announcement that the winner of UFC on Fox 4 gets next? Was he the one that had Chael do the very unusual move of bump to a weight class he hasn't fought at in 7 years and then suddenly try to start a beef w/ Jones?

EDIT: Also, I want to know what the deal is with Henderson's tweets today trying to make it seem like he's fine. Was that his idea? Why would he want to trick people like that?

Dana is a moron. I guarantee he had the event canceled just to teach Jones (and by way of Jones the other primadonnas who now want to choose their fights) a lesson and assumes all the fans and other fighters will be angry at him. But this is gonna backfire on UFC. The fans are the ones being hurt. The people that bought the tickets and travel arrangements. They wont be mad at Jones - they'll be mad at UFC for not making a substitute fight. How many other headline fights have they shuffled at the last minute this year? It wouldn't have been anything new to get two new fighters or to ..sigh.. bump Hieron/Ellenberger to the main event. Or even better - make the whole PPV free.

Alot of people already hate jon jones because he's cocky this just fuels their hate even more. Some fighters are already blaming Jon Jones but, no one at 205 has said a bad thing about him except for Chael the company man. I can't believe Dana White threw Jon Jones under the bus like that but, I forgot its Dana White he will throw anyone under the bus to deflect heat off of himself and the company.

BTW I wonder how long Dana and co knew Henderson wasn't gonna fight. Is this why he made the sudden announcement that the winner of UFC on Fox 4 gets next? Was he the one that had Chael do the very unusual move of bump to a weight class he hasn't fought at in 7 years and then suddenly try to start a beef w/ Jones?

Dan Henderson was at the Strikeforce event on Saturday and so was Dana White he had to have talked to him than. Zuffa should have been lining up a new opponent when Dan informed them about the possbile knee injury and him having to drop out.

On a different subject , just got my ticket to 153. I´m really hyped for that card so hopefully it stays as it is.
Yeah you should be pretty safe with that one except for maybe Aldo, he gets injured quite a lot. Regardless, it is ridiculously stacked and with that Brazilian crowd it should be an awesome time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dan Henderson was at the Strikeforce event on Saturday and so was Dana White he had to have talked to him than. Zuffa should have been lining up a new opponent when Dan informed them about the possbile knee injury and him having to drop out.

So Jones would have fought Sonnen on 13 days notice instead of 8? Those 5 days were the deal breaker? Who you crappin?

ldcommando

Banned
Yeah you should be pretty safe with that one except for maybe Aldo, he gets injured quite a lot. Regardless, it is ridiculously stacked and with that Brazilian crowd it should be an awesome time.

I really want to see aldo live because I missed ufc rio 2 (my second son was born on that day, nice timing). I did get to see the first one live and it was insane. And the card is really good this time again so, fingers crossed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yes yes
ibyWvGqEJHpPa8.jpg

we goin mainstream

Ever heard of the concept of unity with ones peers?

Bones wasn't always being paid to wear Nike and crashing Bentleys, would do him well to remember that.
In a sport like one on one prizefighting, you shouldn't be obligated to show up and help everyone else out because your boss screwed the pooch so badly that only one fight is worthy of people's money. Because the cards where Jones was working prior to him being paid to wear Nike and crashing Bentleys weren't like that.

Uncle Jon
This is over the line.

Jones is not responsible for the scheduling of the card. Dana could've let this card continue on without him fighting the main event. And if Jones was such a bad sport he wouldn't have agreed to fight Machida at 152. It's clear that he didn't want to risk his belt fighting someone on 8 days notice. If anyone should be put on blast for this its Dana. Jones did nothing wrong.

In a sport like one on one prizefighting, you shouldn't be obligated to show up and help everyone else out because your boss screwed the pooch so badly that only one fight is worthy of people's money.

And this was another point I was going to make. It really shows what Dana thought of the rest of the card and the rest of the fighters that he was willing to cancel the whole thing just because Jones wasn't going to be in the main event.

dream

It's just a play on "Uncle Dana."

Either way, strip that drunk driving adulterous sham. How can someone so tall and lanky be such a chickenshit?

So Jones would have fought Sonnen on 13 days notice instead of 8? Those 5 days were the deal breaker? Who you crappin?

Actually who knows those 5 days may have been enough thats nearly two weeks instead of one. The UFC could have at least put together another fight with two weeks notice maybe Machida would have said yes or have Chris Weidman and chael fight at 205 since they both wanted to and were willing to step in and fight.

Seriously though Jon Jones should have taken that fight wrecked Chael and collected his pay check. I personally would have liked the Chris Weidman fight more since he's a really good wrestler with really good jujitsu and pretty good hands.

parasight

I went to 140.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice-- you can't fool me again.

Still goin and still pumped!
And still supporting the Dragon!

dream

I hope Zuffa sets up the Octagon on Saturday and films Chael walking to the cage and winning the fight by forfeit.

UFC Tonight is on Fuel right? Fuck Fuel! :(

Did you at least go to 129?

Way better. (I had great seats and loved every fight)

I was at 129 and had great seats as well. *high five*

Met a few fighters who were sitting around me too .. that was the coolest part. Only problem was that by the time the Jones fight went on I was too hammered to even know what was happening.

EDIT 1: I just remembered that MC Hammer and Ice-T were there.

EDIT 2: Joe Rogan just canceled his comedy show that was to take place at Mandalay Bay Labor Day weekend.

NomarTyme

UFC Tonight is on Fuel right? Fuck Fuel! :(

I was at 129 and had great seats as well. *high five*

Met a few fighters who were sitting around me too .. that was the coolest part. Only problem was that by the time the Jones fight went on I was too hammered to even know what was happening.

EDIT 1: I just remembered that MC Hammer and Ice-T were there.

EDIT 2: Joe Rogan just canceled his comedy show that was to take place at Mandalay Bay Labor Day weekend.

Fuck UFC for choosing fuel.

I can't wait for the new Joe Rogan Experience! I hope he talk about it in depth!

I feel bad most for the rest of the fighters on the card. They are pretty much no names what could have used a decent pay day. Jones is fucking selfish.

Jones doesn't pay them. If they need money talk to Dana he's there boss. How the fuck is Bones ending up the bad guy out of all of this? You guys are desperate to hate on him. Aside from being short notice, on what fucking planet does CHAEL FUCKING SONNEN deserve a title shot at 205 a few weeks after being dismantled by Anderson Silva? How does that make ANY sense? Why not rip on Dana and the UFC for even suggesting that?

I can't believe you guys keep lapping up Chael's crap and the UFC continues to let him fail upward just because he has shitty mic skills.

I can't wait for the new Joe Rogan Experience! I hope he talk about it in depth!

Oh yeah good thinking. Time to resubscribe. Will Joe a) tow the company line or b) speak whats in his mind and what he knows is right in that this isn't Jones fault and other main events were scrapped before without trashing the whole thing or c) ignore it all and talk about mushrooms?

Jones doesn't pay them. If they need money talk to Dana he's there boss. How the fuck is Bones ending up the bad guy out of all of this? You guys are desperate to hate on him. Aside from being short notice, on what fucking planet does CHAEL FUCKING SONNEN deserve a title shot at 205 a few weeks after being dismantled by Anderson Silva? How does that make ANY sense? Why not rip on Dana and the UFC for even suggesting that?

I can't believe you guys keep lapping up Chael's crap and the UFC continues to let him fail upward just because he has shitty mic skills.

Aaaaaaaamen. And how convenient he bumps to light heavyweight and starts trash talking Jones out of the clear blue after losing to Silva instead of going down in weight.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Who
Ever
Joe
Silva
Puts
In
Front
Of
Me

Who
Ever
Joe
Silva
Puts
In
Front
Of
Me

And how often do we make fun of meatheads for saying that? It's Dana and the UFC's job to put the show together, not the fighters. If guys miss out on pay checks they can talk to their employer. Jones doesn't owe them anything. Bones is the fuckin champ he fought all of the CONTENDERS they put in front of him last year and this and DESTROYED them. Chael Sonnen is NOT a contender by any stretch. Throwing Chael a title shot now would completely diminish the title and the division. Fuck that. Why should Bones comply just so that Dana and his cronies can save face and rip the public off of $60 again?

And how often do we make fun of meatheads for saying that? It's Dana and the UFC's job to put the show together, not the fighters. If guys miss out on pay checks they can talk to their employer. Jones doesn't owe them anything. Bones is the fuckin champ he fought all of the CONTENDERS they put in front of him last year and this and DESTROYED them. Chael Sonnen is NOT a contender by any stretch. Throwing Chael a title shot now would completely diminish the title and the division. Fuck that. Why should Bones comply just so that Dana and his cronies can save face and rip the public off of $60 again?
Now that it's cancelled, the fans who had plans to attend in person such as myself have been screwed out of more than $60. Yeah, the UFC ticket itself will be refunded, but what about non-refundable plane tickets?

Top Bottom