• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

I guess it's no surprise that the roster is blindly following Masa Dana like the pied piper and persecuting Jon and Sensei Jackson for what's ultimately the UFC's shortcomings and decision.

Smh it's no wonder why these guys punch each other for a living.

No interest in Jones/Sonnen, so I don't really blame Jon for turning that fight down. Jones would be better off waiting and securing a match against Silva.

Super sad about Hendo.

I feel bad most for the rest of the fighters on the card. They are pretty much no names what could have used a decent pay day. Jones is fucking selfish.

Fifty

A brilliant way for Jones to save this situation (it'll never happen) is for him to offer to pay everyone's $ to show. I imagine it wouldn't even be that much, relative to the average card, given the lack of star power. Ellenberger's 42k is probably by far the most.

I don't know how rich Jones really is. Obviously giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars seems crazy, but it would instantly change the perception of him if he wanted it to.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Jordon Breens got a good point..its the promoters job to put on solid cards..if the card is so fragile that if the loss of the Main Event cancels the show..its the promoters fault for putting on such a weak card.

Heel

A brilliant way for Jones to save this situation (it'll never happen) is for him to offer to pay everyone's $ to show. I imagine it wouldn't even be that much, relative to the average card, given the lack of star power. Ellenberger's 42k is probably by far the most.

I don't know how rich Jones really is. Obviously giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars seems crazy, but it would instantly change the perception of him if he wanted it to.

You know who has even more money than Jon Jones and is actually responsible for canceling the card? The UFC. Maybe they should step up and pay them since they assembled the card and now think they can't sell it due to one injury.

Remember when Dana would shit on boxing for selling a card with one fight? What happened, playboy?

SteveWD40

I feel bad most for the rest of the fighters on the card. They are pretty much no names what could have used a decent pay day. Jones is fucking selfish.

That to me is the worst part, duck Sonnen all you like, I even get why you don't want that fight but look past your own "legacy" and ego for one fucking second and say "hey, I am already rich and these guys are my fellow fighters, we should look out for each other, fuck it I will fight to make sure the card goes ahead".

In some ways, the UFC could use more "sell-able" fights in case of shit like this but he still made that call and now some guys fighting for their next rent cheque are fucked. I am self employed and know how hard it can be, they may fight later in the year sure but that's an age when you are not on "total Bentleys!" money.

Jordon Breens got a good point..its the promoters job to put on solid cards..if the card is so fragile that if the loss of the Main Event cancels the show..its the promoters fault for putting on such a weak card.

You know who has even more money than Jon Jones and is actually responsible for canceling the card? The UFC.

Agree with both, but Jones still had it in his power to make sure that wasn't an issue, all he had to do was agree to fight a guy he should have nothing to fear from...

Alchemy

Chael isn't worthy of a title shot right now, UFC only wants to push the fight for marketing reasons. In reality Jones should streamroll through Sonnen with little effort.

With that said, the champion shouldn't be afraid to fight anyone that can make weight. This reeks of Greg Jackson bullshit not wanting to let Jones just go fight because he hasn't had time to gameplan for a specific fighter.

If the UFC had other LHWs to step in to replace Hendo there is zero fucking excuse in not taking the fight outside of trying to protect your legacy like a coward. Jones doesn't need to protect his rank by fighting specific fighters, he needs to simply defend his title.

And straight up cancelling the card is mega bullshit on a number of fronts, I can't even imagine how it makes financial sense for the UFC to do so. Surely they can throw together two semi-well known company men to fill in the main event and roll with it?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
And straight up cancelling the card is mega bullshit on a number of fronts, I can't even imagine how it makes financial sense for the UFC to do so.

I'm starting to think its pure spite, that Dana and company are gonna keep the slag on Jones and hurt his financial worth to punish him for being difficult...
I know that sounds ridiculous,till you listen to that press conference, Dana is a complete psychopath when it comes to trying to make sure people fear and respect him.

Fifty

kevin james is literally like ten kristin stewarts

Here-Comes-the-Boom.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hmmm...maybe they should have kept the card alive and replaced the ME with a special sneak preview screening of here comes the boom

Heel

this just in: jon jones also responsible for aids, ww2, and the zookeeper

Mark my words, Jon "HUT Numbers" Jones is Dana's new scapegoat for anything that goes wrong for the UFC in the foreseeable future. He is The Avengers., Olympics, Batman theatre shooting and a wildfire rolled into one.

I hope UFC 152 pulls big numbers and he finally sees the value of putting a quality card together. Ellen Burger vs. Hieron belongs at the bottom of a PPV, not Lineker vs. Urishitani.

Here is what will happen. Jones beats Machida. Sonnen beats whomever he fights. They now have the "you ducked me" angle and Sonnen doesn't have to fight three guys because Dana thinks he deserved it just by saying yes on 8 days notice and Jones saying no.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
have sonnen fight fucking weidman so he can go away already. dude got wrecked and then barely outpointed bisping to "earn" that fight

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Even though Sonnen doesn't even deserve the shot, how is he so different a fighter than Hendo (if he wants to wrestle, which I think he'd try to do). It's not like he would be facing Machida.

Heel

Here is what will happen. Jones beats Machida. Sonnen beats whomever he fights. They now have the "you ducked me" angle and Sonnen doesn't have to fight three guys because Dana thinks he deserved it just by saying yes on 8 days notice and Jones saying no.

Thats a bingo. Chael (and the UFC) will use this as a launching pad. Hes better served promoting for more than 8 days anyway.

Suddenly 205 is booked with contenders for the foreseeable future.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I just got home from work. So I take it from the shitstorm articles that I've quickly perused:

-Hendo injured his knee, tearing a ligament but doesn't need surgery.
-Bones turned down Chael.
-Bones turned down Weidman.
-Machida turned down Bones.
-The entire 151 card was cancelled as a result.
-Dana and everyone else is pissed.
-Machida vs Jones 2 will happen at UFC 152 instead.

Am I correct?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder if they'll rename it to 151, or just forget it never happened. I'm sure all their promo material is already printed up.

Heel

basically they turned 152 into a really good card by eliminating 151

They'll probably market it as a "super card" to keep expectations tempered. In reality the new card should be whats considered the norm. Not necessarily two title fights every PPV, but certainly not two guys who lost their UFC debuts on the PPV main card.

Yet Dana insisted that being spread too thin was not the issue on the conference call...lol.

Fifty

UFC continues their anger and puts out a childish, spiteful press release. If they want to be a major sport, they should behave like one.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-151-cancelled-press-release-082312

Jones chose not to fight Sonnen, fine, he can take some blame. But the UFC also chose to put on a second consecutive Jon Jones card with zero fights that could be seriously be considered a co-main event. Jon Jones's legacy is tarnished, supposedly, for this cowardly act. Well what about the UFC's reputation? It's ridiculous making people pay $850 for floor tickets to a card that only has one relevant fight. Dana White said the UFC is different than boxing because all of his cards are stacked. Well, today he just became boxing.

Top Bottom