• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Now that it's cancelled, the fans who had plans to attend in person such as myself have been screwed out of more than $60. Yeah, the UFC ticket itself will be refunded, but what about non-refundable plane tickets?

Again, sucks for you, but not Bones' fault or problem. He is not the promoter. He shouldn't have to take crap/bottom of the barrel fights just because people bought plane tickets. It's the UFC's job to put on the show and they failed in this case.

Dwayne

No matter who's fault it is ultimately, i'm looking forward to Jones' walk-in at UFC 152. The noise from the crowd is going to be tremendous.

Heel

Yeah, I think people trying to guilt trip Jon for not looking out for other fighters is stupid. This isn't a team sport and there isn't a union. Are these bums who can't draw a dime to save their lives going to look out for Bones if he loses? No.

He and his team are the only ones looking out for his best interests. Apparently even the UFC isn't doing that when they throw their biggest future draw under the bus because he won't take a fight on 8 days notice. THEY fucked up for relying on one guy to carry a whole card. The end.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
And how often do we make fun of meatheads for saying that? It's Dana and the UFC's job to put the show together, not the fighters. If guys miss out on pay checks they can talk to their employer. Jones doesn't owe them anything. Bones is the fuckin champ he fought all of the CONTENDERS they put in front of him last year and this and DESTROYED them. Chael Sonnen is NOT a contender by any stretch. Throwing Chael a title shot now would completely diminish the title and the division. Fuck that. Why should Bones comply just so that Dana and his cronies can save face and rip the public off of $60 again?

I got mixed feelings on the matter, I can however concede that this whole thing is largely the ufc's fault. There should be some kind of a system in place for this kind of shit considering how often it happens. I do not however think that champions should have a say in who they fight. You're an employee and as such should be subject to company decisions. Having said that sonnen does not deserve to be anywhere near the mix much less in the middle of it. When the ufc does this kind of shit it really shows just how immature the sport really is. If dana wants to play with the big boys then they need to seriously restructure a ton of stuff, from rules to a serious ranking system to contingencies when things go down.

Dana and his boys should be embarrassed for even suggesting a title shot for Sonnen. For them to turn around and then drag their champ over the coals for not falling in line and participating in their shit show and destroy what little integrity these belts have shows how far up his own ass Dana is. Dude needs to go. He insults the fans for booing shitty main events. He insults fighters for not going along with his circus crap. Fuck him. UFC will never get out of the meathead/tapout/trailer trash sector where it is now as long as he's running the show.

Norml

Just heard the news

we-knew-jake-shields-had-brought-chael-sonnen-in-to-train-with-the-cesar-gracie-team-to-get-him.jpg

Dana and his boys should be embarrassed for even suggesting a title shot for Sonnen. For them to turn around and then drag their champ over the coals for not falling in line and participating in their shit show and destroy what little integrity these belts have shows how far up his own ass Dana is. Dude needs to go. He insults the fans for booing shitty main events. He insults fighters for not going along with his circus crap. Fuck him. UFC will never get out of the meathead/tapout/trailer trash sector where it is now as long as he's running the show.

I greatly await the glorious era of Bad MMA upon us once the UFC starts falling apart.

dream

You guys might be right. If Bones Jones doesn't want to fight someone with a 27-12 record who he outweighs by 40 lbs, has 5 inches on, and is 10 years younger than, we should not begrudge him for that, nor should we consider him to be a coward.

Both are at fault IMO. Shitty card from the ground up. But can u imagine if JDS refused to fight Mir? Jones is to blame a well.

The thing is Jones had a full camp and Sonnen would have taken the fight on 8 days notice. Jones most likely would have destroyed him as I don't see anyway Sonnen can win. But props to Sonnen.

Norml

who else would be a good fight?

I think this is really BS just by the fact of how many people he is screwing over like other fighters.

Heel

I got mixed feelings on the matter, I can however concede that this whole thing is largely the ufc's fault. There should be some kind of a system in place for this kind of shit considering how often it happens. I do not however think that champions should have a say in who they fight. You're an employee and as such should be subject to company decisions. Having said that sonnen does not deserve to be anywhere near the mix much less in the middle of it. When the ufc does this kind of shit it really shows just how immature the sport really is. If dana wants to play with the big boys then they need to seriously restructure a ton of stuff, from rules to a serious ranking system to contingencies when things go down.

It's not who in this case, it's when. I even think Mastre Jackson came out and said they'd fight Chael on the date they agreed to fight Machida.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying Bones was ducking Machida. What happened to that? Lol

And to Scooter, why Chael? For one this is prize fighting and about what people will pay to see, not rankings. Secondly who are you going to find to fight Bones, much less on 8 days notice? Chael and Jon are already poppin off and in the headlines with each other beforehand, so I'd say it's a decent replacement given the circumstances.

who else would be a good fight?

I think this is really BS just by the fact of how many people he is screwing over like other fighters.

You do what they did and push the fight back. If you want your titles and divisions to actually MATTER that is. If you don't then yeah, let whoever fight for the title. Hey why not get Tito a title shot? Fuck it.

Jones's isn't screwing anybody. It's the UFC's job to have contingency plans in place in case something like this happens for the undercard fighters and fans, not Jon Jones'. And god knows with all the injuries they should have seen something like this coming.

Seriously, all you guys have done (and justifiably) is bitched about how shitty and undeserving so many of the "main events" this year have been, yet you want a guy coming off a loss to get a title shot in a weight class he doesn't even fight in?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, I think people trying to guilt trip Jon for not looking out for other fighters is stupid. This isn't a team sport and there isn't a union. Are these bums who can't draw a dime to save their lives going to look out for Bones if he loses? No.

He and his team are the only ones looking out for his best interests. Apparently even the UFC isn't doing that when they throw their biggest future draw under the bus because he won't take a fight on 8 days notice. THEY fucked up for relying on one guy to carry a whole card. The end.

You sicken me, former friend.

Norml

You do what they did and push the fight back. If you want your titles and divisions to actually MATTER that is. If you don't then yeah, let whoever fight for the title. Hey why not get Tito a title shot? Fuck it.

Jones's isn't screwing anybody. It's the UFC's job to have contingency plans in place in case something like this happens for the undercard fighters and fans, not Jon Jones'. And god knows with all the injuries they should have seen something like this coming.

Seriously, all you guys have done (and justifiably) is bitched about how shitty and undeserving so many of the "main events" this year have been, yet you want a guy coming off a loss to get a title shot in a weight class he doesn't even fight in?

I just saw that he is fighting Machida ,what is the reason it needs pushed back?

I still think its crap tho :p

I just saw that he is fighting Machida ,what is the reason it needs pushed back?

I still think its crap tho :p

Because Machida was offered the fight on 8 days and turned it down, opting for a full 6 weeks instead. Guess he's a coward too right!?!! No, it couldn't be that the elite fighters, fighting for TITLES, should be allowed to have a full camp and be at their absolute best when they fight. Nope that's too much to ask. Dana would rather have you pay $60 to watch Urijah Faber fight a drunken homeless guy.

dream

UFC hall-of-famer Ken Shamrock -- one of the greatest MMA fighters ever -- has been accused of battering a woman at a California mall ... but Ken claims it was an honest mistake ... 'cause he thought she was a he.

Shamrock -- whose nickname is "The World's Most Dangerous Man" -- was hangin' out at a mall in Modesto, CA last month when he saw two women fighting each other in front of the Coach store ... surrounded by a group of lookie loos filming the whole thing.

We're told Shamrock dove into the scrap and tried to pry the women apart ... when one of the bystanders, a HEAVYSET bystander, jumped on his back and tried to rip Ken out of the pile.

Shamrock's rep tells TMZ ... he threw the person off of his back and followed up with a move that knocked the attacker to the ground.

After the person was incapacitated, the crowd shouted at Ken, "You just hit a girl." Ken took a closer look and realized the attacker was in fact a female .. so he immediately backed off.

An officer arrived to the scene and took a battery report against Shamrock, noting the only injury was a slight abrasion to the woman's knee. The report was sent to the District Attorney's Office.

But law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Shamrock probably won't be prosecuted because officials don't feel the woman he knocked to the ground is a "victim." In fact, they believe Ken was acting in self-defense.

Shamrock's rep notes, "Outside the ring, Ken is not a violent man ... and was only trying to do the right thing."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/23/ken-shamrock-fight-mall-attack-woman-ufc/

Heel

Dream, friend, tell us why you'd be satisfied with Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen on pay per view. If anything Jon Jones and Sensei Jackson are on your side, defending this sport from the shitty booking youve done nothing but complain about.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dream, friend, tell us why you'd be satisfied with Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen on pay per view. If anything Jon Jones and Sensei Jackson are on your side, defending this sport from the shitty booking youve done nothing but complain about.

When you admire athletes like McKayla Maroney who compete with broken bones and make no excuses, it's hard to accept someone like Jon Jones.

hey Dana since you are willing to scrape the bottom of the barrel why not get Ken and the fat lady from the mall to have a rematch at UFC 151 and save the show!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's not who in this case, it's when. I even think Mastre Jackson came out and said they'd fight Chael on the date they agreed to fight Machida.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying Bones was ducking Machida. What happened to that? Lol

And to Scooter, why Chael? For one this is prize fighting and about what people will pay to see, not rankings. Secondly who are you going to find to fight Bones, much less on 8 days notice? Chael and Jon are already poppin off and in the headlines with each other beforehand, so I'd say it's a decent replacement given the circumstances.

If all you gotta do now to get a title shot is to talk shit about the champ i do believe BJ and Baroni are the number one contenders for every belt there is.

Norml

Because Machida was offered the fight on 8 days and turned it down, opting for a full 6 weeks instead. Guess he's a coward too right!?!! No, it couldn't be that the elite fighters, fighting for TITLES, should be allowed to have a full camp and be at their absolute best when they fight. Nope that's too much to ask. Dana would rather have you pay $60 to watch Urijah Faber fight a drunken homeless guy.

maybe a little,but was already beaten by him.I gotta think if he never faced Jones he would have taken it.

Heel

maybe a little,but was already beaten by him.I gotta think if he never faced Jones he would have taken it.

Machida was already in Dana's doghouse for the better part of a year for refusing to fight Rashad on short notice, a man he had already beaten. Let's crucify him.

If all you gotta do now to get a title shot is to talk shit about the champ i do believe BJ and Baroni are the number one contenders for every belt there is.

Seriously. People act like Chael being willing to take the fight is somehow admirable? He has NOTHING to lose. He just got his ass beat by Anderson and almost failed his way into another title shot. Fuck this clown. I was on his side after Sonnen/Silva I, but after the way he no-showed against both Bisping and Anderson I'm done with him. He's more interested in attention than fighting.

The fact remains, if you are finding yourself on the same side of an argument as Dana White, you should probably rethink your position. The guy is an out of touch meathead.

dream

While I respect entertainers who understand the business of fighting, I abhor chickenshit, cowardly hypocrites. Let's be honest -- giving up 5 inches, 45 lbs, and with 8 days of prep time, Chael, unfortunately, gets smashed by Bones Jones. Especially since Bones Jones has been training to fight someone who is a better version of Chael.

Sadly, it would appear that the real Bones Jones is not only a philanderer and a reckless drunk driver, but he's also a coward to boot. Phillipinos 3:16 my ass.

Fifty

No matter who's fault it is ultimately, i'm looking forward to Jones' walk-in at UFC 152. The noise from the crowd is going to be tremendous.

Yeah, I can't wait for morons in attendance to boo the guy that instantly made our card a hot ticket just because that's the cool thing that the internet is doing.

Also, kudos to Ninja Scooter for being a beacon of sanity in this thread.

TheChits

Seriously. People act like Chael being willing to take the fight is somehow admirable? He has NOTHING to lose. He just got his ass beat by Anderson and almost failed his way into another title shot. Fuck this clown. I was on his side after Sonnen/Silva I, but after the way he no-showed against both Bisping and Anderson I'm done with him. He's more interested in attention than fighting.

The fact remains, if you are finding yourself on the same side of an argument as Dana White, you should probably rethink your position. The guy is an out of touch meathead.

I think the respect for Chael comes from the fact that he will really fight anyone at any time.

iLLmAtlc

I think I'd agree with those saying it's not a team sport especially since it's Dana himself who's always beating that drum.

Jones deserves some heat for tucking though.

Let's face it everyone who's ripping him today hated him already. I bet had he taken the fight he would be getting heat like "LOl this guy doesn't want to fight Machida but he's willing to fight a middleweight" or something like that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Jones fan at all (don't like him either) but it's not his fault that Hendo got hurt or that the UFC put such a garbage card together. He deserves some blame but so does the UFC and all of the heat that I've seen so far is at Jones.

Yeah, I can't wait for morons in attendance to boo the guy that instantly made our card a hot ticket just because that's the cool thing that the internet is doing.

Also, kudos to Ninja Scooter for being a beacon of sanity in this thread.

+1

Except its the same main event from the last Toronto event lol

Also funny that Jones and Dana kept looking past Hendo towards the rematch with Machida.........and then this happens

TheNatural

My Member!

He's such a non threat, but Jones refused to fight him because he's under the spell of that piece of shit Greg Jackson. Jackson has basically become the Bob Arum of MMA. He's turning MMA into a prima donna bullshit sport like boxing where it will soon be down the shitter with decision fighting and fight ducking if he gets his way.

You can make excuses all you want, but Jones turned down a winnable fight over a guy Silva destroyed at a weight class lower.

Jones has forfeited any claim to P4P best or GOAT after this. Long live the king.

Top Bottom