• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Nameless

I'm just thinking of the potential fallout of Machida getting injured now.

ShogunLyoto_UFC104.jpeg

IMACOMPUTA

How could anyone not blame him? He was scheduled to fight next week, and the opponent changed to a much less dangerous one, he didn't take the fight?

This is also the same guy who took on Shogun on a month's notice. This is the same guy who played the 'I fight who Dana tells me to fight' card against Rashad. And this is the same guy just two weeks ago pulling his "star" card about the drawing power of a Machida rematch?

So the guy gets a signed, sealed, and delivered big mouth draw that would do way more than Machida even on short notice, and a much easier fight with a middleweight who hasn't been in serious training moving up to face him, and he won't take it?

There's virtually no risk, all reward, and it would have made everyone excited to see the card and save the fighters, the fans, and everyone else a lot of money for the event knowing if he didn't take it, it would have to be cancelled.

So yeah, I can blame him. He's a hypocritical fucking dick.

wat.
Are you trolling?
Just because you think Sonnen is a non-threat doesn't mean Jones should be careless and fight him.
He took on Shogun because it was a FUCKING TITLE SHOT. He had nothing to lose! and everything to gain!
Saying he'll fight anyone Dana puts in front of him does not mean he will fight anyone with 3 days notice. So.. that is a moot point.

No risk? All reward? If Chael really has no chance like you say, why bother? Wow, he beat someone that had no chance... you consider that all reward?

All of that being said, this whole debacle is creating major hype for 152.. Conspiracy!

TheNatural

My Member!
wat.
Are you trolling?
Just because you think Sonnen is a non-threat doesn't mean Jones should be careless and fight him.
He took on Shogun because it was a FUCKING TITLE SHOT. He had nothing to lose! and everything to gain!
Saying he'll fight anyone Dana puts in front of him does not mean he will fight anyone with 3 days notice. So.. that is a moot point.

No risk? All reward? If Chael really has no chance like you say, why bother? Wow, he beat someone that had no chance... you consider that all reward?

All of that being said, this whole debacle is creating major hype for 152.. Conspiracy!

How is it careless? Dan Henderson was 10 times more of a threat than an out of shape Sonnen. You realize both Sonnen and Henderson are wrestlers right? And that Henderson is 100 times the KO threat?

It's reward when Jones himself was bitching about buyrates with Machida. He got the chance to fight someone on short notice everyone would pay attention to, and instead ducked it to face the guy he was bitching about wasn't a draw just a week or so ago.

Seriously, some of you apologists need to go get your head checked with Greg Jackson.

THRILLH0

Banned
This idea that "FIGHTERS JUST FIGHT!" is bullshit Affliction T-shirt crap. It's something the MMA equivalent of Joe Morgan would say. These guys aren't pit bulls, nor should they be expected to behave like it. This isn't the roman colosseum. Fuck that noise.

I wonder if Joe Morgan ever refused to face a pitcher an opposing team traded for 8 days prior.

IMACOMPUTA

How is it careless? Dan Henderson was 10 times more of a threat than an out of shape Sonnen. You realize both Sonnen and Henderson are wrestlers right? And that Henderson is 100 times the KO threat?

It's reward when Jones himself was bitching about buyrates with Machida. He got the chance to fight someone on short notice everyone would pay attention to, and instead ducked it to face the guy he was bitching about wasn't a draw just a week or so ago.

Seriously, some of you apologists need to go get your head checked with Greg Jackson.

Or he can fight machida *or belfort? WTF?* and let Chael talk more shit to build up their big face-off later down the line.

Nameless

wat.
Are you trolling?

Jones' entire training camp has been centered around fighting a striker intent on keeping fights standing as much as possible. You don't think it would be a dumb move to face the dude with one of the sickest power doubles in the sport? Who's modus operandi is to throw you down and fuck you?

Wrestlers take special prep. take down defense, offensive guard, if Jones had an arsenal of kicks in store for Hendo, that gameplan would be foolish against Chael. If Sonnen is still willing to fight Jones after Machida gets sent back to the afterlife I'm sure Bones will oblige.

TheNatural

My Member!
Or he can fight machida *or belfort? WTF?* and let Chael talk more shit to build up their big face-off later down the line.

Better make sure Jones doesn't want to pull out of this Belfort fight first.

Guy might have totally broke a nail or something, that needs time. You know, with the previous 6 weeks of training now having gone to complete and utter waste because the body apparently only gets into shape when you know the full legal name of your opponent.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I was going to put a modicum of effort into talking about how Shogun doesn't deserve a title shot at this point, but considering that a 2-3 Machida is the current No. 1 contender and Chael Sonnen was instantly knighted as contender material it would be absolutely pointless.

At this point the only true contender material is Hendo. And I hope he recovers from his injury as soon as possible.

LOL if Bones turns down a fight after 8 days what does that make Machida now, Bones haters? What happened to your savior Lyoto? I guess he'll always have Round 1!

And the UFC is a joke. Seriously these chumps will never make MMA a mainstream sport. Vitor Belfort is now a title contender? Why not fuckin put Weidman in there? Oh that's right Vitor has a name even though he's not a LHW and hasn't won a significant fight in years. Fuck the UFC.

Better make sure Jones doesn't want to pull out of this Belfort fight first.

Guy might have totally broke a nail or something, that needs time. You know, with the previous 6 weeks of training now having gone to complete and utter waste because the body apparently only gets into shape when you know the full legal name of your opponent.

Bones will fight anyone, he just wants the proper prep time. He even agreed to fight Sonnen at this Sept date, just not in 8 days. Apparently though, Dana thinks Sonnen is a proper fill in contender for 8 days, but not a good enough contender with a month lead time? How does that make any sense? You are the number one contender as long as the fight is in 8 days? Shows how much the UFC really thinks of him. They are just in a desperate panic and dumbfuck Dana is trying to take it out on his roster. If Vitor said no or pulled out he'd probably give Tito a fucking title fight.

Norml

LOL if Bones turns down a fight after 8 days what does that make Machida now, Bones haters? What happened to your savior Lyoto? I guess he'll always have Round 1!

And the UFC is a joke. Seriously these chumps will never make MMA a mainstream sport. Vitor Belfort is now a title contender? Why not fuckin put Weidman in there? Oh that's right Vitor has a name even though he's not a LHW and hasn't won a significant fight in years. Fuck the UFC.

Machida is not in the country so that is some excuse.

industrian

I hope they've got another couple of dudes lined up, because the chances of Belfort getting injured is almost a certainty.

TheNatural

My Member!

No one fucking likes Machida, this isn't 2009 dude.

dream

While I am fully expecting Vitor's Back to put Bones Jones in a bodybag, lol@the disarray this fucking company is in. I'm half-expecting it to be UFC 152: Bones Jones vs. Hammer Hammil II come the morning.

Nameless

A Belfort fight is infinitely more interesting than seeing Jones devour his own scraps.

How could anyone not blame him? He was scheduled to fight next week, and the opponent changed to a much less dangerous one, he didn't take the fight?

This is also the same guy who took on Shogun on a month's notice. This is the same guy who played the 'I fight who Dana tells me to fight' card against Rashad. And this is the same guy just two weeks ago pulling his "star" card about the drawing power of a Machida rematch?

So the guy gets a signed, sealed, and delivered big mouth draw that would do way more than Machida even on short notice, and a much easier fight with a middleweight who hasn't been in serious training moving up to face him, and he won't take it?

There's virtually no risk, all reward, and it would have made everyone excited to see the card and save the fighters, the fans, and everyone else a lot of money for the event knowing if he didn't take it, it would have to be cancelled.

So yeah, I can blame him. He's a hypocritical fucking dick.

Yeah I agree 100%.

JBJ was a dick before this and a more obvious dick afterwards. (complete doucher at expo)

And yes Greg Jackson is a sport killer :)

ITS TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE AND VITOR BELFORT IS FIGHTING FOR THE LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE. Say that again. UFC is basically reliving what happened to Affliction when Barnett pissed hot. And THESE are the leaders of the sport? It's fuckin amateur hour. Zuffa needs to clean house. Fire Dana and Joe Silva.

Fifty

This is what you get with no official rankings to go on. It's hard to be a legit sport without a method to the madness. Hell, Dana would put Jared Hamman's corpse in there to get beat on if it would sell tickets.

With that said, I think as a fan attending the event it's an intriguing matchup. But if it's gonna be a MW, I just wish it was Weidman! Poor guy deserves a big break more than Belfort. Now we've successfully robbed the best guy from 151 and the 2nd best fighter in 153. It's especially rough for Brazilians who bought tickets (that went on sale today) to see their hero Vitor fight in Rio

industrian

At this point they should just uncancel UFC 151 and host a LHW Royal Rumble to get the No. 1 Contender.

Where did the option of Vitor even come from? This is UFC matchmaking panic mode turned up to eleven.

TheNatural

My Member!
ITS TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE AND VITOR BELFORT IS FIGHTING FOR THE LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE. Say that again. UFC is basically reliving what happened to Affliction when Barnett pissed hot. And THESE are the leaders of the sport? It's fuckin amateur hour. Zuffa needs to clean house. Fire Dana and Joe Silva.

Don't worry, I'm sure Fitty can ring in Jon Boy with PBF and make the first rival hybrid MMA/boxing promotion to run Zuffa out of business. Needs a catchy name though. Like 'Bentley Crashing Wife Beater Promotions' or something.

Fifty

Vitor Belfort hasn't fought at light heavyweight since 2007. He's getting a title shot.

To be fair, the dude can certainly make the weight. He looks huge.

554681_10151778111214057_1093296879_n.jpg

oh shit, Ariel just tweeted that Belfort pulled out and Frankie Edgar is in! I think Frankie's speed will pose an interesting challenge, and having two guys who both trained under Phil Nurse adds an interesting dynamic to the fight.

At this point they should just uncancel UFC 151 and host a LHW Royal Rumble to get the No. 1 Contender.

Where did the option of Vitor even come from? This is UFC matchmaking panic mode turned up to eleven.

Dana's ass.

You know what's funny? When Barnett pissed hot and Fedor needed an opponent, they were going to go with Vitor. You're in good company, UFC. Hopefully you'll be deader than Affliction soon.

To be fair, the dude can certainly make the weight. He looks huge.

554681_10151778111214057_1093296879_n.jpg

I have no doubts he can make the weight. I just think it's silly that having a name that people recognize is more likely to get you a title shot than, oh, I don't know, actually fighting in the division the title is in.

industrian

Machida ducking after "earning" his shot.

Q9n5l.gif

Don't sign up for this sport if you can't step up to the plate.

It's hilarious isn't it.

I eagerly await Machida vs. Sonnen next April for No. 1 contender.

But if Dana White has his way it's gonna be Machida vs. Davis on a UFC on Fuel prelim.

Vitor seemingly spends all day begging for high profile fights. Dana finally said fuck it and gave in.

Yeah, my guess was that Vitor was on the phone as soon as this debacle started.

dream

What I don't get is if 151 is done and there's now an extra 3 week gap, why not have Chael defend his title against Bones Jones in Toronto?

Top Bottom