• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
What I don't get is if 151 is done and there's now an extra 3 week gap, why not have Chael defend his title against Bones Jones in Toronto?

Sensei Jackson needs time to study the tapes mang.

Vitor took the fight, but Bones hasn't accepted. Will they have enough time to study the tapes? THE TAPES. THEY ARE THE KEY. TO EVERYTHING.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Don't go sleeping on me just yet. I got one more HOLY CRAP story for you before we can hopefully put this day to bed.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Don't go sleeping on me just yet. I got one more HOLY CRAP story for you before we can hopefully put this day to bed.

He just tweeted that, something other than Belfort?

What I don't get is if 151 is done and there's now an extra 3 week gap, why not have Chael defend his title against Bones Jones in Toronto?

Because the UFC knows he's not a credible opponent, he was just the only guy they could get on 8 days notice. Give them 3 weeks and they can get someone a little less shitty like Vitor. 7 weeks and maybe Anthony Johnson will agree. If they wait out 10 weeks maybe Ken Shamrock will take the fight.

Fifty

The funniest post I've read about this. From BE. I'm probably laughing so much because I've basically been on twitter for 12 hours straight and I've gone partially insane.

Somebody call up Christian M'Pumbu
CHAMPION VERSUS CHAMPION!!!!!!!!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Friend, I wonder what Machida's muff looks like.
Let's just say that if Cyborg was a couple inches taller and could make the weight then I'd have no reason to doubt that she would take the fight.

Is this where the sport is now? Where fighters are actively ducking the champion to cement their position in 2nd place?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Is Ariel's potential megaton related to the possibility that Jones' DUI shit may stop him from entering Canada?

If only Boogie was here to answer that one.

TheNatural

My Member!
From Sherdog:

Lance Pugmire ‏@latimespugmire
@lorenzofertitta tells me Shogun Rua also turned down shot at Jones to set up Belfort as Sept. 22 opponent. #UFC

Pugmire is an LA Times writer. Not sure if he's being legit or a smartass (I mean that. I have learned not to read too much into anything today).

From Sherdog:

@lorenzofertitta tells me Shogun Rua also turned down shot at Jones to set up Belfort as Sept. 22 opponent. #UFC

Pugmire is an LA Times writer. Not sure if he's being legit or a smartass (I mean that. I have learned not to read too much into anything today).

I wonder if they even asked Weidman? UFC has their heads so far up their asses.

TheNatural

My Member!
Anderson Silva was close to saving UFC 151.

According to UFC president Dana White, Silva, the middleweight champion, personally called him just moments after he announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. Silva, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

According to UFC president Dana White, Silva, the middleweight champion, personally called him just moments after he announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. Silva, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.

So instead of Jones vs. Sonnen we would have got Silva vs. Griggs?

Heel

Glad you wiseguys get to see what cowards really look like. Let me guess, this is Bone's fault. Let's hear some excuses for these bitchmade contenders.

TheNatural

My Member!
Once again, Anderson proves he has all the class and honor of the GOAT, offering to save the show to help fighters earn their pay and fans save their tickets and travel costs.

Glad tonight could end on a good note, with the true GOAT showing the heart of a champion. Glad to know one champion is trying to save shows instead of wreck them (and Bentleys.)

MrSerrels

Glad you wiseguys get to see what cowards really look like. Let me guess, this is Bone's fault. Let's hear some excuses for these bitchmade contenders.

Difference is that Bones turned down a fight from a 185 pounder with no prep.

For Machida and Shogun, this is most likely their last chance at a fight against Jones.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ariel Helwani‏@arielhelwani

According to Machida's camp, they will release a statement tomorrow detailing why they turned down the 152 title shot against Bones.

From Sherdog:

Pugmire is legit.

It's one thing to turn down a short notice fight, another thing entirely to reject a replacement when you've had a full camp. Jones still proved he is bitch-made today above all others.

Hi guys! Back!

This is all pretty ridiculous. Jones should have just taken the Sonnen fight, its such a gimmie given all the circumstances. Train and prepare for what? You were training for a far bigger threat in Hendo. You're afraid that you wont have time to prepare for a guy thats coming up to LHW and hasnt been training a all? SMH

And f*ck Machida for getting a title shot every time he beats a can. Title shot after beating old man Couture...title shot after beating Bader... are you kidding me? I'd much rather see Sonnen, Weidman, Belfort, and a hundred other dudes get a shot before seeing Machida die a second death.

Are you guys arguing about who is the biggest douche here? They are all douches. Only douches get in the fight business, or for that matter watch ultimate fighting.

Also Andy can't fight again until 2013 when it's for the belt but he can fight on 8 days notice?

IMACOMPUTA

Silva was willing to fight at LHW on 8 days notice?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO. Vitor? No words. I honestly don't believe it. Helwani's promising another megaton - I'm guessing it's that Jones-Hendo is on and this entire clusterfuck was a social psych experiment.

Loathe as I am to use the d-word, Vitor sure as shit doesn't deserve this fight. Lyoto didn't either, not after he was gifted the last one. Sonnen didn't, but 8 days is 8 days. Short notice fights disadvantage both fighters but to pretend Jones was taking any real risk going against Chael is pretty funny.

This situation should never have occurred. They should have had Hendo checked earlier and had a prepared and reasonable opponent waiting in the wings. Best practice would probably be a top contender or top 5/10 matchup scheduled on every card with a title fight (or the nearest possible card). It worked out great for 137, we got Diaz/Penn.

That said, it shouldn't have been Greg Jackson's or Jones' choice to make. Aerts fought Hoost wearing Semmy Schilt's shorts because he didn't have a pair of his own. Overeem cut short a vacation for Hunt. Less on the line in these examples obviously. Whose to say how Greg and Bones would have acted if the UFC had got their shit sorted and left less wriggle room for these sly coils and twists around the belt, immobilising it safe and sound in New Mexico.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Are you guys arguing about who is the biggest douche here? They are all douches. Only douches get in the fight business, or for that matter watch ultimate fighting.

Also Andy can't fight again until 2013 when it's for the belt but he can fight on 8 days notice?

think silva did it more to save the other fighters expenses and probably as a favor for dana.

TheNatural

My Member!
Somehow I see like two dozen posters who never post in here just based on Bones yellow streak.

As Dusty Rhodes would say, "its good for bidness"

BLACKLAC

Once again, Anderson proves he has all the class and honor of the GOAT, offering to save the show to help fighters earn their pay and fans save their tickets and travel costs.

Glad tonight could end on a good note, with the true GOAT showing the heart of a champion. Glad to know one champion is trying to save shows instead of wreck them (and Bentleys.)

100% agree.

Top Bottom