• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

THRILLH0

Banned
We've been "blessed" with appearances from JBJ-GAF, Ryuto-GAF and now Silver-GAF. Safe to say this is the worst day in MMA-GAF history.

Eh cry me a fucking river. Shut up and be glad that this clusterfuck of a sport is relevant for more than 5 consecutive minutes.

Despite our different opinions on JJ, I agree with Ninja's criticism of the UFC management. Dana is pretty much the Zuckerberg of UFC. The sooner someone with a semblance of an idea steps in, the better.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
wow the midweek MMAmadness just continues into the weekend..what a bunch of chaos to wake up to...jesus.

For the record I'm ok with anyone that is championship calibre getting a freebie shot if they're stepping up to fill an injury hole.

Good for Vitor, hope he wins and becomes LHW Champ again.

Just woke up to the news about Belfort. WTF and lollercoasters all around. Also lol at Ryu-GAF not being able to say shit about Jones now that their hero is revealed to be even more of a pussy than Jones supposedly is.

Also - why was Sonnen good enough for UFC 151 but they wont put him against Jones at 152? Jackson even said they welcome fighting him in Toronto they just want a little time to prepare for him.

ITT, people expose their blind hatred for JBJ. We, his fans, don't care.

The man didn't become champion by being a moron. Taking a fight against an opponent that fights the opposite style of the guy you trained for is D-U-M-B. Chael isn't some lumbering can, he can take anyone down. Jones trained for a striker. Why should he risk his belt and money just to wing it? It's only 3 days notice. That's just not smart.

It's not his fault the card got cancelled. Apparently he would have taken the Machida fight, but Machida declined. Why isn't Machida getting blame for getting the card cancelled?

Bones is a Greg Jackson fighter. Jackson is all about planning and strategy. It's no surprise at all that Jones would want to have time to strategize for his next opponent. It sucks, but that's just how it is. The cards have been getting weaker and weaker, and if you cancel an entire card due to one lost fight, then you blame the promoter, not the one fighter who managed to stay healthy.

Bones has faced the champion on short notice, and won. He's taken on the best guys in his weight class and won. He's not just won, but won handily. He's not a coward. Anyone claiming that is a fucking moron. He's not scared. He's just being careful. You don't get to stay at the top by being a retard. PEACE.

Excellent points friend. You've glassed everyone else's weak arguments in my opinion.

JimiNutz

Banned
Does anyone think Belfort has a decent chance against Jones?
Belfort has better hands than Henderson and still has power. Jones should out grapple him with ease though. I think it could be an interesting fight... Maybe closer than Henderson vs Jones would have been anyway.

SteveWD40

Does anyone think Belfort has a decent chance against Jones?
Belfort has better hands than Henderson and still has power. Jones should out grapple him with ease though. I think it could be an interesting fight... Maybe closer than Henderson vs Jones would have been anyway.

It may be wishful thinking, but yes.

@FrontRowBrian: Vitor's last LHW win? James Zikic. Put Jones on shelf if Vitor is best you can do. These are the cards that are killing the UFC's popularity

thefro

@FrontRowBrian: Vitor's last LHW win? James Zikic. Put Jones on shelf if Vitor is best you can do. These are the cards that are killing the UFC's popularity

If Vitor's so bad Jones will crush him like a can and then be ok to take Machida or Hendo fight by Dec/Jan.

Pimpwerx

Since there is only about 5 of ya, nor do we

LOL! It wouldn't surprise me that the vocal minority can't count. Just like you can't see the irony of blaming the one champion who's taken on the best competition since winning his belt over a year ago. Yeah...that guy is the problem. Not GSP who can't stay healthy. Not Silva who is ducking fighters. Not the carousel at HW. NO! The real problem is the best champion the sport has had for 2 years.

I think Tampax makes a product for your tears. PEACE.

^And to take it a step further, before Dana took his ball and went home this was gonna be Jones' 4th title defense in the past year. How many has Silva had? 2 .. how many has GSP had? 0 point 0

ShaneB

I'm not going to blame Jones solely for the cancellation of a card, that's the UFC's fault for putting on an apparently shit card that they clearly figured it was just worth it for the main event (which they did earlier this year when they cancelled that Montreal card that was going to be set for March I believe).

But I've spoken before about how much I hate when fighters turn down fights or any of that bullshit, so I find that completely ridiculous. And now it's Belfort stepping in? How completely random. Oh well, I hope Belfort wins to fuck up their plans even more. What a fucked up "sport"

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I wonder if they'll rename it to 151, or just forget it never happened. I'm sure all their promo material is already printed up.
It will be the Not-Named-Card.

I, GungHo, of Clan BadMMA, declare Batchall: A Trial of Abjuration against Jon Jones to cast him out of GAFspace. Jon Jones may render a Trial of Refusal against us to remain among the Clans. In this event, we nominate the Elementals Alistair Overeem, Bob Sapp, Diverticulitis Lesnar, Hong Man Choi, Minowaman, Junior Dos Santos, and Dolph "If He Dies, He Dies" Lundgren to engage Jon Jones and the rest of the freeborn Jackson Touman in mass combat. Jon Jones should consider himself lucky we do not consider a Trial of Annihilation and thereby eliminate his genetic legacy.

How says Clan BadMMA? Quiaff?

UFC continues their anger and puts out a childish, spiteful press release. If they want to be a major sport, they should behave like one.
Even Vince McMahon knows how to be a fucking professional when the lights turn off (not-withstanding various screw jobs).

Dana is a moron. I guarantee he had the event canceled just to teach Jones (and by way of Jones the other primadonnas who now want to choose their fights) a lesson and assumes all the fans and other fighters will be angry at him.
It has all the Machieavallianism of a Hollywood DI making soldiers do pushups because some lazy bastard couldn't get over the wall in the confidence course.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
machida earned a shot, he doesnt need to pick up a fight as a replacement even if it is a month off. guy has a hellava challenge in taking on jones. also, if he loses again there is likely very little chance of getting a 3rd shot. dont blame him at all for wanting a full camp to be prepared for what will be his last chance at the 205 crown.

its apples and oranges to jones ducking chael. a HUGE and dominant 205 champ prepared to fight versus a 185'er coming off of 3 loses in a row (yup, counting his showing against bisping!) that would have 8 days notice and likely zero gym time. chael has nothing to lose here.

but yeah, now with vitor fighting, after announcing machida, this has become a silly "uncle dana production" joke.

machida earned a shot, he doesnt need to pick up a fight as a replacement even if it is a month off. guy has a hellava challenge in taking on jones. also, if he loses again there is likely very little chance of getting a 3rd shot. dont blame him at all for wanting a full camp to be prepared for what will be his last chance at the 205 crown.

its apples and oranges to jones ducking chael. a HUGE and dominant 205 champ prepared to fight versus a 185'er coming off of 3 loses in a row (yup, counting his showing against bisping!) that would have 8 days notice and likely zero gym time. chael has nothing to lose here.

but yeah, now with vitor fighting, after announcing machida, this has become a silly "uncle dana production" joke.

Lmao someone defending machida for not taking a fight on one month and digging Jones for refusing to fight on 8 days.

op_ivy

Lmao someone defending machida for not taking a fight on one month and digging Jones for refusing to fight on 8 days.

well, i retract the "i dont blame him" bit. its an excuse and i understand it, but it is a bit flimsy.

Machida has earned jack shiet. Two title shots, in his last 4 fights and the other two fights being against Couture and Bader? That mixed with getting his soul taken from him in the first fight deserves a title shot? Everyone deserves a title shot than.

op_ivy

Machida has earned jack shiet. Two title shots, in his last 4 fights and the other two fights being against Couture and Bader? That mixed with getting his soul taken from him in the first fight deserves a title shot? Everyone deserves a title shot than.

he "earned" it according to dana and the ufc. doesnt matter what you or i think about the legitimacy of that, it is what it is.

apparently his camp will be releasing a statement today. who knows.

would be neat to have a behind the scenes documentary covering all the angles of this epic fiasco.

This is some crazy shit thats going down. This shakes things up in both divisions. Now we got Vitor and Sonnen at 205. Is 205 is stacked again?

thefro

This is some crazy shit thats going down. This shakes things up in both divisions. Now we got Vitor and Sonnen at 205. Is 205 is stacked again?

Yep, so we got:

Jones v.s. Vitor
Jones v.s. Machida II (if Machida decides he wants to fight)
Jones v.s. Hendo (once Hendo heals up)
Chael talking trash for the next 4 months straight on how Jones is a coward and ducked him and working his way into a title shot if he can beat TUF Griffin & some other tomato can in a row.

Also - why was Sonnen good enough for UFC 151 but they wont put him against Jones at 152? Jackson even said they welcome fighting him in Toronto they just want a little time to prepare for him.
Chael's only chance was jj not having a game plan in time. I think Sonnen could wrestlefuck anyone on a good night, but he has little chance with Jacks On game planning against his one talent.

Vitor fought Rumble this year.

Also I like Vitor's chance as much as Hendo's. Who is Jesus going to support?

On a brighter note, there's a Titan and Bellator tonight. I haven't watched Bellator in ages. I don't even know who is in it anymore.

Chael's only chance was jj not having a game plan in time. I think Sonnen could wrestlefuck anyone on a good night, but he has little chance with Jacks On game planning against his one talent.

Vitor fought Rumble this year.

Also I like Vitor's chance as much as Hendo's. Who is Jesus going to support?

On a brighter note, there's a Titan and Bellator tonight. I haven't watched Bellator in ages. I don't even know who is in it anymore.

Rumble fight was 195 catch weight. Vitor hasn't had an actual LHW fight since 2007. And yet he's apparently worthy of a title shot.

Rumble fight was 195 catch weight. Vitor hasn't had an actual LHW fight since 2007. And yet he's apparently worthy of a title shot.
Rumble made 195?

Speaking of, he's actually fighting tonight, although probably thanks to everyone obsessing over this Worst-MMA circus, I can't find anything on whether he made 205.

Any other options? Ryu/Hendo are not available and who knows WTH is going on with Sonnen. So Vitor it is. I wouldn't be surprised if Vitor gets injured and Chuck or Wand step in or hell, why not Bisping at this point?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Yep, so we got:

Jones v.s. Vitor
Jones v.s. Machida II (if Machida decides he wants to fight)
Jones v.s. Hendo (once Hendo heals up)
Chael talking trash for the next 4 months straight on how Jones is a coward and ducked him and working his way into a title shot if he can beat TUF Griffin & some other tomato can in a row.

I think that in all probability Machida has burned his title shot. If Dana hasn't already said this, then expect it to happen soon. Something like "Well, Machida had his chance. We had Anderson Silva Money ready and everything, but he didn't want to fight."

Also, you're forgetting the winner of Shogun/Gus, which has No. 1 Contender written all over it.

I see Chael getting a title shot for the July 4th weekend event after proving himself "contender worthy" by defeating Forrest. 1-2 million buys easily for a July 4 card headlined by that fight.

Top Bottom