• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

more or less.

the dude was next in line for a shot at the title and turns the fight down twice. The 8 days notice thing is understandable, turning down a Sept 22 date is a bitch move.

Shael is the only one who isn't scared for the fight.

Chael had nothing to lose. It would be like you or I turning down sex with Arianny versus Derk Jeter turning down sex with Arianny.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
OK Weidman is not scared for the fightch either.

It's hard not to feel for Weidman right now. It's bad enough that Anderson doesn't acknowledge him as a contender/threat, but I'm guessing that Joe Silva probably thought it was a prank call when Weidman phoned him up saying he'd fight Jones.

I'm hoping that Weidman fills Belfort's place against Belcher, but I'm sure they'll want a Brazillian instead. Hopefully Weidman gets the winner of Bisping vs. Stann, and there'll be no hiding place for Anderson then.

Vitor Belfort is now fighting bones at 152 and for the belt wow. What happened to the rest of the 205 pound fighters in the ufc are they all really just that scared of bones? It seems like quite a few 185 pound fighters were willing to make the jump Chael, Weidman, and Now Vitor.

It seems like Weidman got the shortend of the stick in all of this no shot at 185 or at 205 and no opponent in site, though now that alan belcher does not have an opponent I wonder will he take on belcher? Probably not it makes to much sense for The UFC to do that.

The UFC is a joke right now maybe Bjorn Rebney and Bellator have the right system where you actually have to fight to get your title shot not talk your way into like Chael almost did or luck your way into like Vitor did because the entire 205 pound division is running scared of the champion.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Vitor Belfort is now fighting bones at 152 and for the belt wow. What happened to the rest of the 205 pound fighters in the ufc are they all really just that scared of bones? It seems like quite a few 185 pound fighters were willing to make the jump Chael, Weidman, and Now Vitor.

I wouldn't ever accuse a professional fighter of being "scared" of anyone. What this is, if anything, is fighters basically saying "If I'm going to fight a guy like Jon Jones I need more prep time than Batman." Guys like Chael and Vitor are opportunists whom at their age are just hunting for high-profile, high-money fights whereas guys like Weidman are basically just looking for recognition or for people just to acknowledge they exist.

The UFC is a joke right now maybe Bjorn Rebney and Bellator have the right system where you actually have to fight to get your title shot not talk your way into like Chael almost did or luck your way into like Vitor did because the entire 205 pound division is running scared of the champion.

As much as I respect the tournament model that Bellator uses, it's flawed just like any other system. The lack of contenders is the biggest issue, meaning that champions who could be defending their belt 2-3 times per year have had zero title defences in over a year (M'Pumbu) or have only defended their belt only once in two years (Konrad). The only "fix" to this problem being non-title "super fights." And you just need to speak to M'Pumbu about how well that works out.

I think that in all probability Machida has burned his title shot. If Dana hasn't already said this, then expect it to happen soon. Something like "Well, Machida had his chance. We had Anderson Silva Money ready and everything, but he didn't want to fight."

Also, you're forgetting the winner of Shogun/Gus, which has No. 1 Contender written all over it.

I see Chael getting a title shot for the July 4th weekend event after proving himself "contender worthy" by defeating Forrest. 1-2 million buys easily for a July 4 card headlined by that fight.

I think the Shogun/Gus winner should face 1 more opponent before a title shot. Gus needs to face a wrestler if he wins.

Also where the hell is Shad now? 185 or no? It's been months since we've heard from him.

Friend

was wondering why Chael wasn't just entered in instead of Vitor. According to Ariel:

BTW, if you're wondering why it's not Chael vs. Bones at 152, (Dana White) said that ship sailed for now after Bones turned it down for 151. ... The rationale was it just wouldn't be right to put that fight on three weeks after canceling an event at Mandalay, a long-time partner.

Who's do you guys think has a better chance of beating Jones stylistically, Vitor or Sonnen? After watching the Rumble fight I think it's safe to assume that Vitor can easily be put on his back and get Hellbowed, but he has a better chance of finishing Jones. Sonnens only chance is to grind a 5 round fight.

zcbXH.jpg

Friend

Machida probably won't get his shot for awhile now. Presumably after fighting and beating Vitor, Jones will have to fight Hendo. I think they should just have Shogun and Machida fight in the mean time, sending the loser into eternal gatekeeper status.

Machida probably won't get his shot for awhile now. Presumably after fighting and beating Vitor, Jones will have to fight Hendo. I think they should just have Shogun and Machida fight in the mean time, sending the loser into eternal gatekeeper status.

Pretty sure I read that Machida isn't getting a title shot anymore, he blew his chance and will have to beat someone before he gets another one

Heel

MMA-GAF applicant questionnaire:

1) Who is Raj Kundra, and what does he want, baddy?
2) Who would parrotbeak dress up as to win lifetime ProElite tickets?
3) Who does Jon Jones fear?
4) Who in the MMA world would you consider good dick?
5) What is captyamato's racial background?

Feel free to add on, friends.

Top Bottom