• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I've been out clubbing with our dear leader! I did try to sneak in a mention of our friend Yaco, but I was drunk so I don't think it worked. Fun telling him about last night's UFC shenanigans though!

FACE

Banned
310px-beta_negative_dufkxc.png

strobogo

Banned
I'm not a big fan of Chael and he annoyed the fuck out of me for the past two years with all the stuff with Silva. I am a fan of Bones. However, I fully support Chael trolling the fuck out of JBJ and I hope a video comes out of him crying over how mean it is.

Has there been a single card this year that hasn't had at least one major fight, if not the main event changed? Also, I have to wonder how long it has been since a guy got a title fight who was the true number one contender from strictly wins and not from having a big name and one big win. It seems like it is very rare when guys who should by rights be the top contender. Like, Hendo drops out and they tap Machida, who had his title match, lost, and has only had one fight since then. How could he possibly be the top contender after one fight? Similarly, Chael coming off a loss in a title fight in a different division would deserve a LHW title shot? Vitor is coming off a title fight loss (in a different divison), a win over a guy on a two fight losing streak, and a win in a catchweight fight.

There has to be someone who is the actual legitimate number one contender for the LHW that should be getting a title shot here. I realize it is a business, but it is also a sport and I feel it works to delegitimize the sport a bit when guys are consistently hand picked for title shots due to their name status over guys who are more deserving based on fights. And this is not even a secret or anything, as Dana has said he will pick fights that are easier to promote even if someone is more deserving. It's been really bad in the past 2 years or so in the UFC and it kind of bothers me. I guess that is the nature of combat sports. Happened/s in boxing all the time. But can you imagine that happening in the NFL or NBA when a team wins their conference and should be in the finals/Superbowl, but the league decides to put a more well known team in instead?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Machida apparently refused the fight because he wanted the fight to take place on UFC 153 in Brazil.

Someone needs to inform Machida that in order to dictate the location of a championship fight you have to be - you know - the champion.

Nameless

Machida apparently refused the fight because he wanted the fight to take place on UFC 153 in Brazil.

Someone needs to inform Machida that in order to dictate the location of a championship fight you have to be - you know - the champion.

If I was Dana I'd strip Machida of the Money in the Bank Briefcase; he doesn't deserve to be the # 1 contender. Take your fuckin title shot, help out the people that made you rich, don't pussy out. These are the paths a real man would have walked. I remember when MMA-GAF was screaming Revelations after Machida won the title, claiming no one would be able to deal with his [cherry picking] Karate. Well...

picsay-1323579158.jpg

Machida tends to dwell here--unconscious at the feet of superior fighters.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
It has definitely already been said but I am just going to say that I am baffled by Jones not taking the fight with Chael.

Based on the fact that he has to move up 20 pounds in weight, thing about what Jones must weight for that fight...at least 220, gives a weight and strength advantage (granted he trained properly) for the fight.

As many fans I dislike champions picking their fights but honestly weight the risk and reward Jones should smash Chael easily.

I know nothing in this sport is guaranteed but I don't understand not taking this fight.

That is my two cents.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Chael doesn't get him much. You win "Oh you beat a guy way smaller than you" you loose "oh you got beat by a guy smaller than you". He'll keep clearing out his shitty division.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Chael doesn't get him much. You win "Oh you beat a guy way smaller than you" you loose "oh you got beat by a guy smaller than you". He'll keep clearing out his shitty division.

I just don't see why not take the fight, you are in a combat sport...someone wants the fight you are offered the fight, take the fight.

Regardless of the risk if you are confident in your skills and abilities take the fight.

Just my opinion, same thing with boxing...don't pick you fights, just fight.

industrian

It has definitely already been said but I am just going to say that I am baffled by Jones not taking the fight with Chael.

Based on the fact that he has to move up 20 pounds in weight, thing about what Jones must weight for that fight...at least 220, gives a weight and strength advantage (granted he trained properly) for the fight.

As many fans I dislike champions picking their fights but honestly weight the risk and reward Jones should smash Chael easily.

I know nothing in this sport is guaranteed but I don't understand not taking this fight.

That is my two cents.

First off, Chael walks around at around 210-220lbs. There's no "moving up" required, just less of a cut.

Secondly, this fight was lose-lose for Jones and win-win for Chael. Lose-lose for Jones in that when he won it wouldn't ever be considered a "big" victory, it would just always be seen as a fight that shouldn't have happened and when people look back on his record it would just be considered padding. And if Jones fucked up and managed to LOSE well he would fall hard, he'd immediately go from champ to laughing stock. It would be win-win for Chael basically because the fight would either lead to him being champion or it's an "well I took this fight on a week's notice, so yeah" excuse that could handwave away any flaws in his performance. That and Chael would get paid.

I just don't see why not take the fight, you are in a combat sport...someone wants the fight you are offered the fight, take the fight.

Regardless of the risk if you are confident in your skills and abilities take the fight.

Just my opinion, same thing with boxing...don't pick you fights, just fight.

Welcome to the play-it-safe world of the UFC. It has nothing to do with being confident about your skills/abilities, it has everything to do with managing your brand. Jones didn't have to take this fight, had everything to lose from it, so he didn't take the fight.

I'm not defending anyone here but I also wonder how the question was put and whether a discussion happened, or it was just, DO YOU WANT TO FUCKING FIGHT CHAEL SONNEN YES OR NOT? NO? FUCK YOU, EVENT CANCELLED! NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF ZUFFA HAS A CHAMP TURNED DOWN A FUCKING FIGHT!

Things moved super fast that day and seemed like media outbursts were one of the main methods of communication.

industrian

I'm not defending anyone here but I also wonder how the question was put and whether a discussion happened, or it was just, DO YOU WANT TO FUCKING FIGHT CHAEL SONNEN YES OR NOT? NO? FUCK YOU, EVENT CANCELLED! NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF ZUFFA HAS A CHAMP TURNED DOWN A FUCKING FIGHT!

Things moved super fast that day and seemed like media outbursts were one of the main methods of communication.

I would like to think that when negotiating with Jackson for Jones to fight Sonnen, Dana used the threat of cancellation to play a game of brinkmanship with Jones and Jackson in order to get them to agree to the fight. When Jackson disagreed with the Sonnen fight, Dana had to save face.

I would like to think that when negotiating with Jackson for Jones to fight Sonnen, Dana used the threat of cancellation to play a game of brinkmanship with Jones and Jackson in order to get them to agree to the fight. When Jackson disagreed with the Sonnen fight, Dana had to save face.

I also think this is Dana lashing back at the bigger name fighters who want to dictate where and when they fight. *cough* Silva *cough* Ryu

He's attempting to put the fighters in their place and let them know that you fight when UFC wants and you'll fight whoever Joel Silva puts in front of you or else.

EDIT: Also sherdog mods amaze me - the one major, interesting UFC news stories in months and they want to bury all discussion in a single master thread. Guess they need all that room down in the main section of the UFC Discussion forum for those insanely interesting "Who would win .. Bas Rutten in his prime or Bruce Lee?" type threads.

industrian

I also think this is Dana lashing back at the bigger name fighters who want to dictate where and when they fight. *cough* Silva *cough* Ryu

He's attempting to put the fighters in their place and let them know that you fight when UFC wants and you'll fight whoever Joel Silva puts in front of you or else.

I don't think Dana needs to do much to threaten fighters about where/when they fight, especially with the only other viable MMA organisations (Bellator and ONE FC) being so far behind the UFC in terms of visibility and money that they may as well not exist to mainstream fans.

But I see what you mean. Dana feels the need to rein in some of the personalities. I wonder if this episode was motivated somewhat by Condit and Barao refusing to fight.

industrian

“I felt great. I was walking around 225 (for this fight) and day of weigh-ins I only had 2 pounds to go,” said Johnson of the difference in moving up to 205 pounds. “So I felt awesome.”

Congratulations Rumble.

industrian

Good to see him at the weight he belongs, hope he can put a streak together and maybe get back to the UFC, 205 could use some younger talent.

I know that he's desperate to get back in the UFC and is dismissing any other organisation, but he should give Bellator a shot. He'd be able to tear through their entire LHW setup without any issues to prop up another claim to the UFC. Knowing Dana though, he'd say "You know, Rumble, Strikeforce does need a new LHW champion" and we'd see him fight OSP and Mousasi every six months.

now all we need is for Vitor to piss hot.

I'm guessing Overeem got the "bu-bu-bu painkiller injections" excuse from Vitor in the first place.

Amazing at all these injuries. I think guys are training too hard because of the spotlight and pressure of being in the UFC right now. Sometimes less is more and I think a lot of these guys are going beyond what a human should be doing in the span of 2-3 months.

Also feel bad for Belcher. Dude got skills to pay the bills, but always has shitty luck with injuries, like that time he had a detached retina and almost lost an eye. Guy must go super hard in sparring with 16oz gloves to detach a retina at his age/frequency of fighting.

Looking at schedule I'm thinking now maybe I'll go to the UFC event in Seattle instead of Minneapolis.

My buddy Dustin Jacoby won his second fight of the summer since getting cut from the UFC. Another first round TKO.

Nice. Bummer his only two losses are on the big stage. Nerves? Wow - 7 KO wins / 7 rd 1 wins?

FACE

Banned
What's the difference between Kos' and Mckayla's bodies? One looks like a male and the other is Kos.

By our good friend Heel.

SteveWD40

On my mobile so can't link it, but have you seen Bones non-apology? He is "carrying the cross for his company"

Bones is Jesus confirmed.

strobogo

Banned
Lol. JBJ either needs to go full heel (maybe he already has?) or not be allowed to speak for himself for another 5 years. I'm sure he doesn't mean to come off the way he does, but even for a guy his age, he says some of the dumbest shit.

I feel like him getting the blame for the show getting canceled will eventually lead to him being the biggest heel in the sport, and therefore becoming an actual draw when people pay to see him get beat. Even against guys with a less than zero chance. They'll be able to have huge PPV cards with JBJ vs a 3rd place TUF winner. It'll be for the best.

Top Bottom