• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
They're both very athletic. I'm not sure what the problem is.

tumblr_lk5tyfa6nw1qcz1gq.gif

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Nice. Bummer his only two losses are on the big stage. Nerves? Wow - 7 KO wins / 7 rd 1 wins?

I just don't think he was ready. But its hard to say no when that call comes.

First fight was a shitty situation and match up. He was originally supposed to fight Brad Tavares which was pretty good match up cuz they both like to stand and trade. Tavares got hurt the week of the fight and they replaced him with a D1 wrestler. Wrestling is by far Dustin's biggest weakness. He was so worried about the takedowns that he never let his hands go.

Never have seen the second fight with Camozzi.

I would just like to propose to those that say Jon Jones shouldn't have to fight Chael because he's undeserving and beating a guy smaller so that proves nothing.... well, he shouldn't have agreed to fight Dan Henderson who's 42, on the down side of his career, one fight back into the UFC and has a 13inch reach advantage over. What does that prove?

Does anyone here think Chael would be a more dangerous fight? If I were in Jones shoes I would be thinking " Wow, easier fight , still say I never turned down a fight and look like the hero because *I'm fighting for greatness* just like I put on my Twitter."

And this "It's only 8 days notice !" Isn't that a push cuz its both fighters? Plus Jones is already in camp training. I would think its all check marks in the credit column. Someone enlighten me.

I would just like to propose to those that say Jon Jones shouldn't have to fight Chael because he's undeserving and beating a guy smaller so that proves nothing.... well, he shouldn't have agreed to fight Dan Henderson who's 42, on the down side of his career, one fight back into the UFC and has a 13inch reach advantage over. What does that prove?

Does anyone here think Chael would be a more dangerous fight? If I were in Jones shoes I would be thinking " Wow, easier fight , still say I never turned down a fight and look like the hero because *I'm fighting for greatness* just like I put on my Twitter."

And this "It's only 8 days notice !" Isn't that a push cuz its both fighters? Plus Jones is already in camp training. I would think its all check marks in the credit column. Someone enlighten me.

Henderson is coming off 2 wins at light heavy. Chael is coming off an ass whooping by Anderson and a less then stellar fight against Bitchping AT MIDDLEWEIGHT. Don't act like they are in the same boat. Henderson was a legit contender. It might have only been because Bones already cleaned out the division, but Hendo was next in line. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't think he was the next logical opponent. Chael and Vitor, meanwhile, don't deserve to be anywhere near the LWH title picture.

Hendo knocked out Fedor.

TheNatural

My Member!
When someone gets injured and you're trying to save a show, who deserves what gets thrown out the window. I did like Jones backhanded arrogant "apology" though I saw on ESPN.com earlier.

When someone gets injured and you're trying to save a show, who deserves what gets thrown out the window. I did like Jones backhanded arrogant "apology" though I saw on ESPN.com earlier.

Then the UFC should have some back up fights lined up, or maybe not have a shit undercard. The answer is not "lets turn our light heavyweight title into a joke".

TheNatural

My Member!
Then the UFC should have some back up fights lined up, or maybe not have a shit undercard. The answer is not "lets turn our light heavyweight title into a joke".

The back up fight was a replacement fighter. This JDS-Reem card would have been canned too if Mir didn't take the fight, like plenty of other cards. No one has ever refused to fight when they were the ones scheduled on that date.

But then again, Cigano wasn't a fucking bitch and refused to fight someone he would obviously destroy because he was on the cock of some retard trainer.

The back up fight was a replacement fighter. This JDS-Reem card would have been canned too if Mir didn't take the fight, like plenty of other cards. No one has ever refused to fight when they were the ones scheduled on that date.

But then again, Cigano wasn't a fucking bitch and refused to fight someone he would obviously destroy because he was on the cock of some retard trainer.

1) Mir was actually a heavyweight
2) JDS got a month notice of the change

Not the same thing at all. Bones was more than willing to fight whoever the UFC wanted to throw at him on the Sept.22 date which is **guess what** A MONTH NOTICE. Same shit as JDS.

TheNatural

My Member!
1) Mir was actually a heavyweight
2) JDS got a month notice of the change

Not the same thing at all. Bones was more than willing to fight whoever the UFC wanted to throw at him on the Sept.22 date which is **guess what** A MONTH NOTICE. Same shit as JDS.

Whats your point that he was a heavyweight? It just makes the fight even MORE in favor of Jones and less likely to lose facing a middleweight.

Jones going in, as scheduled, facing Hendo who was a bigger threat than Sonnen. What is this pussy shit that the guy who has been training two months needs a month notice to fight on the same date he had been scheduled at all along?

This whole "well I'm fighting someone new, or fighting on a different day now" pussy bullshit needs to stop. It's not like two months of fucking training went down the fucking shitter because a lesser replacement fighter is there now.

Henderson is coming off 2 wins at light heavy. Chael is coming off an ass whooping by Anderson and a less then stellar fight against Bitchping AT MIDDLEWEIGHT. Don't act like they are in the same boat. Henderson was a legit contender. It might have only been because Bones already cleaned out the division, but Hendo was next in line. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't think he was the next logical opponent. Chael and Vitor, meanwhile, don't deserve to be anywhere near the LWH title picture.

I'll clarify my "deserving" point. Yes, I agree Dan was more deserving but under the circumstances of 8 days notice...?..? Maybe he is the most deserving to step up.

I guess I don't understand that mindset. I'd fight Kimbo Slice if he was the only guy they had. No matter how much better I think I am I wouldn't disrespect another fighter by saying he's not worthy of fighting me. If he's got the balls to get in the cage with me I'll give him his chance to take his beating like a man.

Whats your point that he was a heavyweight? It just makes the fight even MORE in favor of Jones and less likely to lose facing a middleweight.

Jones going in, as scheduled, facing Hendo who was a bigger threat than Sonnen. What is this pussy shit that the guy who has been training two months needs a month notice to fight on the same date he had been scheduled at all along?

This whole "well I'm fighting someone new, or fighting on a different day now" pussy bullshit needs to stop. It's not like two months of fucking training went down the fucking shitter because a lesser replacement fighter is there now.

What needs to stop is this narrative you are trying to push that a guy who fought and destroyed the entire division is somehow "scared" of Chael Sonnen. The dude obviously cares a lot about his prep time. It's a part of his game plan for fights, probably moreso than other fighters. But that's what got him where he is. If he likes having a few weeks to prepare for a guy than I don't see what's wrong with it, and it certainly doesn't make that person a "pussy".

TheNatural

My Member!
What needs to stop is this narrative you are trying to push that a guy who fought and destroyed the entire division is somehow "scared" of Chael Sonnen. The dude obviously cares a lot about his prep time. It's a part of his game plan for fights, probably moreso than other fighters. But that's what got him where he is. If he likes having a few weeks to prepare for a guy than I don't see what's wrong with it, and it certainly doesn't make that person a "pussy".

I'm sure he isn't scared to fight him on ample notice, but the fact is, he's afraid of not being prepared because he's a bitch. It's that simple. I don't care who the name of the fighter is, if you can't fight on the date you're scheduled on and be confident enough in your skills to face anyone, then you're a bitch in my book. That's Jones, he's a bitch.

And that's where it got him where he was? This is the same guy who won the title on a months notice. Maybe I'll regain respect for the guy when he gets out of Jackson's piece of shit camp who's singlehandedly shit up the sport with his "gameplan" stuff the past several years.

Heel

Call me crazy, but when multiple time trainer of the year Greg Jackson thinks 3 days isn't enough time to prepare to defend the world title I'll take his word for it. They aren't human cockfighting anymore and Jon isn't just bleeding for you.

In other news, Victor joined the Blackzilians and sealed his fate.

I'm sure he isn't scared to fight him on ample notice, but the fact is, he's afraid of not being prepared because he's a bitch. It's that simple. I don't care who the name of the fighter is, if you can't fight on the date you're scheduled on and be confident enough in your skills to face anyone, then you're a bitch in my book. That's Jones, he's a bitch.

And that's where it got him where he was? This is the same guy who won the title on a months notice. Maybe I'll regain respect for the guy when he gets out of Jackson's piece of shit camp who's singlehandedly shit up the sport with his "gameplan" stuff the past several years.

A MONTH IS NOT 3 DAYS. He was willing to take a fight on LESS than one month with that sept. 22 date. Maybe it's because he's an actual athlete who wants to be at his best, but no keep on thinking he's a "bitch". You are probably wearing an Affliction shirt as you type that.

TheNatural

My Member!
Call me crazy, but when multiple time trainer of the year Greg Jackson thinks 3 days isn't enough time to prepare to defend the world title I'll take his word for it. They aren't human cockfighting anymore and Jon isn't just bleeding for you.

3 days? They've been training for two fucking months. Lets not act as if Jones is at Rumble weight out of shape and getting thrown into the fire. The only thing that would have changed is a much weaker opponent. Quit with the weak ass trolling Heel, no one buys that bullshit.

TheNatural

My Member!
A MONTH IS NOT 3 DAYS. He was willing to take a fight on LESS than one month with that sept. 22 date. Maybe it's because he's an actual athlete who wants to be at his best, but no keep on thinking he's a "bitch". You are probably wearing an Affliction shirt as you type that.

Yeah you're probably wearing a Mayweather shirt. You know, the king of decisions, fight ducking, and wife beating - so you know all about bitch made fighters. No shocker you would ride the Jones train. Maybe Jones will win your athlete of the year once he slaps the shit out his girl a bit.

TheChits

Yeah after reading that I feel like the fight is pretty much already over. Not a very wise move for Vitor

Yeah you're probably wearing a Mayweather shirt. You know, the king of decisions, fight ducking, and wife beating - so you know all about bitch made fighters. No shocker you would ride the Jones train. Maybe Jones will win athlete of the year once he slaps the shit out his girl a bit.

Its the sweet smell of success. You think Bones' gonna put that Nike deal in jeopardy just so Dana can have his carnival show?

Heel

3 days? They've been training for two fucking months. Lets not act as if Jones is at Rumble weight out of shape and getting thrown into the fire. The only thing that would have changed is a much weaker opponent. Quit with the weak ass trolling Heel, no one buys that bullshit.

I'm such a troll for thinking Sensei Jackson knows more about what it takes to prepare for a fight than MMA-GAF poster TheNatural.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm such a troll for thinking Sensei Jackson knows more about what it takes to prepare for a fight than MMA-GAF poster TheNatural.

Yeah he sure showed that with that Clay Guida gameplan recently. I could take a shit on a piece of paper and put together a better gameplan than that clown.

Ninja is right when he says its the UFC's fault for having a weak under card. But one would think a guy that wears his faith on his sleeve might know a thing or two about sacrifice. This was his opportunity to show that he really is "carrying the cross of my company" and be the bigger man.

If I were Jon's dad I would say " I'm not mad, just disappointed."

Ninja is right when he says its the UFC's fault for having a weak under card. But one would think a guy that wears his faith on his sleeve might know a thing or two about sacrifice. This was his opportunity to show that he really is "carrying the cross of my company" and be the bigger man.

If I were Jon's dad I would say " I'm not mad, just disappointed."

Why should Jon feel like he has to go out of his way to "sacrifice" himself for his employer? They get as much out of him as he gets out of them. It's not like he owes them.

TheNatural

My Member!
Why should Jon feel like he has to go out of his way to "sacrifice" himself for his employer? They get as much out of him as he gets out of them. It's not like he owes them.

That's your problem. Apparently you think it's too much for a fighter to show up on the date he was scheduled to fight to .. you know .. fight. Against a much weaker opponent.

That's not a sacrifice, it's a gift. An NFL team wouldn't say "oh shit we fucking expect to play the #1 seed Patriots this week and planned for that, but turns out the 9-7 #6 seed wild card showed up!"

That's your problem. Apparently you think it's too much for a fighter to show up on the date he was scheduled to fight to .. you know .. fight. Against a much weaker opponent.

That's not a sacrifice, it's a gift. An NFL team wouldn't say "oh shit we fucking expect to play the #1 seed Patriots this week and planned for that, but turns out the 9-7 #6 seed wild card showed up!"

Jon Bones Jones is the gift. UFC should feel lucky to have him.

This is a man that will go down as one of the truly great and transcendent athletes of all time. This is a man that could be playing center field and leading a Major League Baseball team towards the playoffs. This is a man that could be finishing up the preseason as a starting NFL strong safety. This is a man who could be just getting home from London after winning Olympic gold in any number of sports. But instead he's in the UFC sharing his gifts and talents with the world of MMA and Dana and his immature, amateur hour antics are trying to turn his career into a freak show. But Bones and his team won't have any of that. The title of CHAMPION actually means something to him. And even if his actions mean you will have meatheads calling him a "bitch" and a "pussy", the sport, and the world, will be better off for it.

Heel

A much more apt, fight game comparison for you from MMA Mania:

This has been a criticism that Dana himself has leveled against boxing before: the one-fight card. But the UFC has gone and done it and all of a sudden, they're coming to terms with the risk/reward ratio of such things. Imagine if you would, the following scenario: current middleweight champion Sergio Martinez is scheduled to face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr three weeks from now. In two weeks, JCC breaks his hand and pulls out of the fight. Why would Martinez be obligated to take a fight against Jr. (light) middleweight #2 Miguel Cotto, who's fresh off his loss to Mayweather? It's an absurd notion. When you make a one-fight card, as this PPV was, and the fight gets monkey-wrenched by injury, that's your fault for setting yourself up this way.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also

67c6b_ORIG-I_Ain_t_Even_Mad.jpg

You know why? Because the fact Vitor is stepping up in weight on a month's notice with the Jackson Symbiote full in control of Jones, this one will go to a Jackson-esque finish or a tired Vitor stoppage late, thus proving Anderson is better because he KTFO of Vitor in one round with a front kick.

Can't wait.

The UFC is lucky they have Chael. I think he makes them more money.

I really am disappointed Jones made that choice. Life gave him a chance to show who he really is and I think he will regret it.

Unless he wants to be the new MMA villain. Then he made the right decision.

Has basically everything Jones said turned out to be a complete lie yet, or are there a few more to go at this point?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-jones-explains-ufc-sponsorship-ahead-of-showdown-with-rashad-evans

April 13th 2012

“We came up with a strategy to keep it clean and be sponsored by the UFC itself. I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me as well, and I think that they trust that I’ll never make them look bad. You never have to worry about me with a DWI (driving while under the influence) or doing something crazy,” Jones explained.

“I think I’m a good company guy. The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it, and I never tell them no for anything. I’ve had to do more marketing than any other fighter because I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”

Nope, no lies here.

Has basically everything Jones said turned out to be a complete lie yet, or are there a few more to go at this point?
He's catching up to Mitt Romney pretty quickly, that's all I know.

Oh and I like seeing all the new faces in here.. Stay a while, friends. Don't let creeps like dream and Chamber scare you away. Now with yacob gone we especially need a lot of new blood.

strobogo

Banned
At the level of fighting these guys are at, I don't think any fighter who is training for someone else or isn't training at all is a bitch or pussy for turning down fights on super short notice. It isn't a tough man competition. It is highly, highly skilled athletes at the top of their divisions. Not getting a proper training camp and time for preparation for a specific opponent is risky and dangerous. I see nothing wrong with any of those involved turning down a fight on such short notice.

King Mo had a pretty good interview on the subject of the ufc 151 cancellation and Jon Jones.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13082.html

PC: You know I had to get your opinion on this Jon Jones situation. I don't feel as though he did anything wrong. what's your thoughts on it?

KM: I don't think he did anything wrong. I feel like Jon Jones did what's good for him and that's what's wrong; it's him fighting, not any of the fans, no other fighter, not Dana White or anybody else from the UFC who works behind the scenes. It's Jon Jones and they wanted him to fight a totally different fighter in Chael Sonnen. Chael is skilled. People can talk all the trash they want about Chael, but Chael is the real deal. People be bashing him and saying he got beat by Anderson, but he is Anderson's toughest fight to date. I think Jon Jones made the right decision for himself because it is a totally different style he is fighting. He was probably training for one thing and would have got another thing.

PC: And that's the thing. I see a lot of fans saying that he was just swapping out one wrestler for another, but you totally disagree with that, right?

KM: You know, here is the thing, right, when it comes down to it, that would be like somebody saying, "I was gonna fight Mo, but now I'm fighting Mark Munoz." I'm a power wrestler and Mark Munoz is a finesse wrestler. If you train for me, you train for a double leg, knee pass, and power pull, but with Mark Munoz, if you train the same way for him, it's going to work against you because Mark is finesse. Mark Munoz is a finesse wrestler, so now you got Chael who is good at freestyle, good at collegiate style, and he can scramble. Then you got Dan, who is mainly good in the clinch, but not really known for takedowns. He can take you down, but more upper body stuff. With Dan, he is more limited than Chael. He is skilled and Dan be doing his thang, but Chael has a wider variety of offense and defense. When you look at Chael's body type, Chael is taller, Chael is longer and quicker. Chael can fight in two stances, orthodox and southpaw.

PC: What do you say to the people that say, "Well, Jon has been training for a fight and Chael has been at home chilling"?

KM: Those people are idiots because obviously Chael is not stupid and Chael probably sees some weaknesses and that's why he wants to take it. For instance, look at Shogun vs. Rashad. Shogun was probably training for Rashad looking for the sweep, that helicopter sweep he's known for, looking for certain knees and trained for a certain body type and certain style. All of sudden, he gets a dude that is 6'3" with the longest reach in sports combat history and he can fight southpaw or orthodox and has good knees. And he has a good top game with good elbows, so Shogun pretty much trained for something and got the exact opposite 6 weeks later. How much props and credit did Shogun get from fans for taking that fight on short notice? None, because you don't get credit for losing fights; you get credit for winning.

PC: Jones went from being the future and unbeatable and this and that to basically being ridiculed, and I think that's unfair given he has bailed the UFC out on a few occasions in which Dana said may be the best run in UFC history when he beat Bader, Rua, Rampage and Machida within a 10-month span in 2011.

KM: Let me tell you something, Chael is not an idiot. He is one of the smartest dudes in the game. Fans think just because they just hearing about the injury that it's new. Chael may have heard about Dan possibly being out weeks ago and started training. Chael, Roy Nelson, Matt Hume, Bob Cool, Jav Mendez and Mike Kogan…the list goes on and I could name a lot of people who are some of the smartest people in MMA, but they get no credit for how smart they are.

PC: You would be in that mix too.

KM: I just feel like some people don't watch any other sports. They just watch MMA and they don't come up with their own perspective on things. They have to let someone else, a person who is a figurehead, tell them what they need to think, and to me, that's an idiot.

PC: The thing is this, when they are watching the Machida/Jones 2 countdown, they are not gonna say, Jon Jones, who recently turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen; they are gonna be re-selling you this unbeatable guy who is the closest thing to Anderson Silva we've seen and blah, blah, blah.

KM: Ah mayne, and that's the thing; some people don't see the big picture. I feel the UFC is making a big mistake by bashing Jon Jones. They should have been like, hey, we gonna move everybody else up and try to find a replacement fight or just put the card on tape delay and bring it to FX or Fuel. Everybody still gets paid; they can still get their sponsorship checks and whatever. But now, because one person says, "I don't think that's the fight that I should take at the moment because I need more time to train for this opponent," they scrap the entire card. He may have just said, "I need more time to train." I don't know what was said because I wasn't there. Everybody just talking down on this kid and I don't see what he did wrong.

PC: I didn't even care for Dana saying it would affect their relationship because I tell you what, if Jones has a close fight and it goes the other way, I can see some people pointing the finger at Dana now.

KM: Let's see if Jon Jones loses his UFC sponsorship, because if he is not still sponsored by them, that's messed up. That's like the NFL telling Peyton Manning we're gonna sponsor you for 2 seasons and Manning saying, "My neck hurts. I'm not gonna play this season," and they be like, "What? Well we revoke your sponsorship and we're gonna sponsor somebody else." If the fans don't see that, then something is wrong.

PC: If you were speaking to Jon Jones, what do you tell him right now?

KM: Do what's best for you, fuck what everybody else talking bout, because those people don't see the big picture. Instead of the guys on the card being mad at Jones, they should be like, "I'm ready to fight and just because one person on the card is off, one man don't stop a show." They should have kept the fight card going and fought on Fuel or FX or put that bitch on Facebook; the entire card. All of the fights should be on Facebook; it doesn't matter, people would still tune in if it's still going on. They chose to cancel it and they had to find a scapegoat and Jon Jones is the one. That's what he is right now. I'm not that cool with Jon Jones. I talked to him a few times awhile back. I ain't no diehard Jon Jones fan. I really don't know him, but when I see something wrong, I'm gonna say something. People like, "You on Jon Jones' dick," and I'm not riding his dick. I really don't know him. I would love to fight him. I think I can beat him, but at the same time, if I see something wrong, I'm gonna speak on it. I feel like more people should be doing this. If GSP gets offered Nick Diaz because Carlos Condit gets hurt, would he accept it? I'm not saying he would, I'm not saying he wouldn't, but would he get this treatment? I don't know. And I couldn't fault GSP if he doesn't because he is a champion; it's almost disrespectful to ask a champion to take a fight on 8 days notice. Same goes for Anderson Silva. Would he had taken a fight on 8 days notice against a top guy? Again, I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have, but it doesn't make him wrong if he wouldn't have.

Lets not forget about the blame for Ryu in all this (although my honest opinion is not 1 fighter deserves any blame whatsoever for the event being cancelled)

@FrontRowBrian: Machida has turned down 3 PPV main events in past year plus... 133, 151 and 152.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Lets not forget about the blame for Ryu in all this (although my honest opinion is not 1 fighter deserves any blame whatsoever for the event being cancelled)

@FrontRowBrian: Machida has turned down 3 PPV main events in past year plus... 133, 151 and 152.

Well, he is known for his "elusive" style.

Top Bottom