• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wasn't aware Suloev, Babalu, Vitor, and Overeem were wrestlers. Can't fault Chuck for the UFC's top LHWs all being wrestlers at the time. One of whom had beat Wand.

Also the only good striker Wand ever beat was Rampage (who's striking wasn't even top notch till he joined Ibarra) so I wouldn't really tread in that direction.

These are some opponents after the first Saku fight where talks of him being the #1 LHW emerged.

Oyama
Otsuka
Tamura
Iwasaki
Kanehara
Cro Cop in special rules fight
Saku (2nd time)
Yoshida
Minowaman
Kondo
Rampage
Hunt
Yoshida again
Nakamura
Arona 2x (lost both imo)
Fujita

How are you going to say he wasn't protected?

Considering chuck barely edged out a shellshocked wand your argument holds absolutely no water. Had the same fight taken place under pride rules there were at least 3 spots where chuck would have been eating feet. CC and Hunt were world class strikers an entire division above wand, and wand arguably won both those fights. The first quality striker chuck fought put his ass in the ER. Pack it up.

VoxPop

Otsuka was solid
Crocop is a beast
Saku? really?
Yoshida was also a HW
Kondo was undefeated
Minowman is solid
Rampage, is the guy that destroyed Chuck
Hunt was an undefeated HW beast
Arona was a top guy
Fujita is solid

U are also forgetting Hendo and Crocop 2 and Rampage 2. How was Wand protected when hes fighting Mark Fucking Hunt? Who has Chuck beat? Tito? Babalu? Protected or not, its still much more impressive than Chuck.

Yep 4-13 Otsuka was solid

It was CroCop's first MMA fight and was held under special rules. Ended in a draw

It's not a matter of fighting Saku. It's the fact that they paired them 3 times knowing what the outcome would be every single time.

BJ Penn fought at HW. Lindland fought at HW. Doesn't mean anything. Yoshida fought Wand at 205 in a middleweight grand prix. Yoshida is not a threat to the "top 205er" in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kondo. He was not anywhere close to undefeated nor a top 205er at the time.

Minowaman is good for nothing more than freakshow fights.

I didn't mean Rampage was a protection fight. He's one of the few that weren't.

Lol. Hunt was not undefeated. He was 1-1 in MMA with his biggest win over Dan Bobish. Props to Wand for fighting a HW striker, but he didn't win.

Yeah Arona was a top guy. And what happened when he did finally fight a top guy?

Fujita is not solid.

Heel

Yep 4-13 Otsuka was solid

It was CroCop's first MMA fight and was held under special rules. Ended in a draw

It's not a matter of fighting Saku. It's the fact that they paired them 3 times knowing what the outcome would be every single time.

BJ Penn fought at HW. Lindland fought at HW. Doesn't mean anything. Yoshida fought Wand at 205 in a middleweight grand prix. Yoshida is not a threat to the "top 205er" in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kondo. He was not anywhere close to undefeated nor a top 205er at the time.

Minowaman is good for nothing more than freakshow fights.

I didn't mean Rampage was a protection fight. He's one of the few that weren't.

Lol. Hunt was not undefeated. He was 1-1 in MMA with his biggest win over Dan Bobish. Props to Wand for fighting a HW striker, but he didn't win.

Yeah Arona was a top guy. And what happened when he did finally fight a top guy?

Fujita is not solid.

Dat MMA rear view. Pack it up before someone mentions 0-1 XARM competitor James "The Sandman" Irvin

VoxPop

Considering chuck barely edged out a shellshocked wand your argument holds absolutely no water. Had the same fight taken place under pride rules there were at least 3 spots where chuck would have been eating feet. CC and Hunt were world class strikers an entire division above wand, and wand arguably won both those fights. The first quality striker chuck fought put his ass in the ER. Pack it up.

Barely edged out? He won all 3 rounds convincingly and was never in any real danger. Shellshocked Wand lol. What, Chuck wasn't? Not to mention he was over 40 years old. Wand never did or will beat Mirko or Hunt.

I would say Overeem and Vitor are both better strikers than Rampage. Didn't Vitor obliterate Wand?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Barely edged out? He won all 3 rounds convincingly and was never in any real danger. Shellshocked Wand lol. What, Chuck wasn't? Not to mention he was over 40 years old. Wand never did or will beat Mirko or Hunt.

I would say Overeem and Vitor are both better strikers than Rampage. Didn't Vitor obliterate Wand?

For someone trying to make a case about not using mma math to dictate results you dont seem to have an issue employing it. Never in danger? He got put on his ass and would have had his head kicked into the rafters. As for Cc and Hunt both were incredibly close decisions with two top ten heavies at the time. Also didnt rampage obliterate chuck? lolz. I do recall that the reason he got to do so is cause wand put him in a coma twice and chased his ass out of japan.

In a cage, Wands game plan is totally different in a ring. Vitor at that time was a beast, no shame. But Wand destroys Chuck with Pride rule set and could have even finished him in their encounter with kicks. Chuck lost to Jardine, the same Jardine that got KTFO by Wand with under unified rules. Are we also forgetting that a 2012 Wand also did much better vs Franklin than Chuck ever did? Ill stand by Wand would have finished Frankin in that 2nd round under PRIDE rules, while Chuck got KTFO.

Wand was one crazy bastard. Did you guys know he was going to fight Igor? What a nut job.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
68VKF.jpg

Are they serious with this deal, friends?

VoxPop

For someone trying to make a case about not using mma math to dictate results you dont seem to have an issue employing it. Never in danger? He got put on his ass and would have had his head kicked into the rafters. As for Cc and Hunt both were incredibly close decisions with two top ten heavies at the time. Also didnt rampage obliterate chuck? lolz. I do recall that the reason he got to do so is cause wand put him in a coma twice and chased his ass out of japan.

He got "put on his ass" by slipping. I don't understand the mentality that Chuck wouldn't use the same kick to send him into the rafters. Should watch the 2nd Babalu fight.

Wrong again. CroCop and Hunt were not top heavies at the time. It was their 1st and 3rd mma fight, respectively.

Pretty sure Wand didn't chase Rampage out of Japan. I'd say that was more of Shogun's doing. Pretty sure Rampage decapitated Wand in their 3rd fight after heavily training with Juanito.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
He got "put on his ass" by slipping. I don't understand the mentality that Chuck wouldn't use the same kick to send him into the rafters. Should watch the 2nd Babalu fight.

Wrong again. CroCop and Hunt were not top heavies at the time. It was their 1st and 3rd mma fight, respectively.

Pretty sure Wand didn't chase Rampage out of Japan. I'd say that was more of Shogun's doing. Pretty sure Rampage decapitated Wand in their 3rd fight after heavily training with Juanito.

CC and Hunt were both established top ten strikers coming out of k1. Water. Your argument holds none. The only real argument i need is this.

ibkwfc.gif

At least paper chinned wand didn't fold to a 3 inch broken right hand. Pack it up friend.

Wand did better against Rampage than Chuck in every one of their fights. How long did Chuck last in their UFC encounter? 30 seconds?

VoxPop

In a cage, Wands game plan is totally different in a ring. Vitor at that time was a beast, no shame. But Wand destroys Chuck with Pride rule set and could have even finished him in their encounter with kicks. Chuck lost to Jardine, the same Jardine that got KTFO by Wand with under unified rules. Are we also forgetting that a 2012 Wand also did much better vs Franklin than Chuck ever did? Ill stand by Wand would have finished Frankin in that 2nd round under PRIDE rules, while Chuck got KTFO.

Wand was one crazy bastard. Did you guys know he was going to fight Igor? What a nut job.

Fact is they didn't fight in that rule set and imo wouldn't have gone that differently if not worse for Wand.

Jardine is probably the most inconsistent fighter there is so that's a bad example.

Chuck was actually doing surprisingly well against Rich up until the KO. I'd say that was more of the glass chin rift created by Rampage and Rashad than a testament to Rich's KO power.

And Igor would have beat him like every other HW striker had.

VoxPop

CC and Hunt were both established top ten strikers coming out of k1. Water. Your argument holds none. The only real argument i need is this.

ibkwfc.gif

At least paper chinned wand didn't fold to a 3 inch broken right hand. Pack it up friend.

Do I really need to go look up the Leben, Vitor, Rampage, Hendo, CroCop gifs? Not to mention he never even beat Rich. Or you know the gifs from the fight where he actually did lose to Chuck?

TheNatural

My Member!
I've never seen a fighter's chin turn from granite to glass as abruptly as Chuck's did.

Supposedly when you get older the "lights out" effect of taking a punch is much stronger than younger guys.

Also, technique plays a big role since the whole 'getting hit and not giving a fuck' type of defense has a shorter shelf life than actually being better at standup. That's why Bernard Hopkins had a title belt at almost 50 fucking years old and hasn't been KO'ed ever.

PRIDE tried to protect Anderson Silva, but he couldn't even get past the cans they set up for him.

Shit, Silva did PRIDE a solid. No doubt the Yakuza put some money up for Silva to take a dive a couple times. I've seen Undertaker matches less fixed than the Chonan fight.

And it's not even necessary to get into how fixed Fedor's fights were.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Do I really need to go look up the Leben, Vitor, Rampage, Hendo, CroCop gifs? Not to mention he never even beat Rich. Or you know the gifs from the fight where he actually did lose to Chuck?

Wand should have retired long before leben and page3 ever took place, and yes those were embarrassing. Not nearly as embarrassing as getting tooled by both jardine and evans. And yea both chuck and wand lost to franklin but only one of them fought franklin twice and can actually remember the encounters. Prime wand against prime chuck would have been like setting mike tyson on an infant in a crib.

All very hard strikers. No shame in that. The fact that Chuck got KTFO by KO artist Rashad and Frankin speak wonders. The only strange KO on that list is Leben, which was a loss more or less do to retarded game planning. Its almost like he through the fight, and Hendo and Crocop would have KTFO Chuck way worse than Wand.

Heel

Can we just say VoxLiddell is entitled to his incorrect opinion and leave it at that? No use explaining why a foreign prize fighter in Japan would actually fight Japanese hopefuls.

Even Natch isn't buying this shit lol. Let's raise the bar gentlemen.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can we just say VoxLiddell is entitled to his incorrect opinion and leave it at that? No use explaining why a foreign prize fighter in Japan would actually fight Japanese hopefuls.

Even Natch isn't buying this shit lol. Let's raise the bar gentlemen.

As usual youre right friend Heel. Alas I will respect someone's right to be completely and utterly wrong.

VoxPop

Wand should have retired long before leben and page3 ever took place, and yes those were embarrassing. Not nearly as embarrassing as getting tooled by both jardine and evans. And yea both chuck and wand lost to franklin but only one of them fought franklin twice and can actually remember the encounters. Prime wand against prime chuck would have been like setting mike tyson on an infant in a crib.

Chuck is 6 years his elder. If anything, Chuck should have retired after or before Rampage. I'd say getting KO'd by Leben is much more embarrassing than taking a split decision loss to Jardine or getting KO'd by an undefeated top 205er (even to this day). Please don't disparage Mike Tyson's legacy like that. The only thing they had in common were can crushing. Only Tyson did it better and faster.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Chuck is 6 years his elder. If anything, Chuck should have retired after or before Rampage. I'd say getting KO'd by Leben is much more embarrassing than taking a split decision loss to Jardine or getting KO'd by an undefeated top 205er (even to this day). Please don't disparage Mike Tyson's legacy like that. The only thing they had in common were can crushing. Only Tyson did it better and faster.

You should save some wrong for the rest of the class. NOTHING is more embarrassing than losing to Jardine. Leben at least was known for throwing heavy shots. Chuck got ktfo COLD by a wrestler who had just learned how to punch that morning on the way to the venue. Smh.

VoxPop

You should save some wrong for the rest of the class. NOTHING is more embarrassing than losing to Jardine. Leben at least was known for throwing heavy shots. Chuck got ktfo COLD by a wrestler who had just learned how to punch that morning on the way to the venue. Smh.

Yeah you're right. Losing by split decision to Jardine is so much worse than getting KTFO in 27 seconds by a guy whose idea of fun is peeing in a person's bed.

Dan Henderson spent the majority of his career laying and praying and even earning himself the moniker 'Decision Dan'. He must have no power in his hands.

kthx

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah you're right. Losing by split decision to Jardine is so much worse than getting KTFO in 27 seconds by a guy whose idea of fun is peeing in a person's bed.

Dan Henderson spent the majority of his career laying and praying and even earning himself the moniker 'Decision Dan'. He must have no power in his hands.

kthx

Wasn't Dan the next in line for a shot at the belt? Didnt he beat up a guy who wiped his dick on chucks face to get it? yea. pack it up.

VoxPop

Wasn't Dan the next in line for a shot at the belt? Didnt he beat up a guy who wiped his dick on chucks face to get it? yea. pack it up.

Not sure who you're talking about. Hendo took that title from Wand after sending him to Neverland. He got that title shot after having 1 win @ 205 against Vitor.

Who wiped who's dick on Chuck's face? Pretty sure it was Chuck doing all the dick wiping on Wand's face after beating him easily.

I don't even want to imagine for your sake what Rashad and Shogun would do to Wand. Rich beat him twice and Rampage made Wand abandon his weight class.

Did I mention Wand got KTFO in 27 seconds by a guy who was 3-3 in his last 6 and still wet the bed?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Not sure who you're talking about. Hendo took that title from Wand after sending him to Neverland. He got that title shot after having 1 win @ 205 against Vitor.

Who wiped who's dick on Chuck's face? Pretty sure it was Chuck doing all the dick wiping on Wand's face after beating him easily.

I don't even want to imagine for your sake what Rashad and Shogun would do to Wand. Rich beat him twice and Rampage made Wand abandon his weight class.

Did I mention Wand got KTFO in 27 seconds by a guy who was 3-3 in his last 6 and still wet the bed?

Hendo is CURRENTLY in line for the belt, he beat shogun who wiped his dick on chuck after tipping him accordingly. The only loss wand has that wasnt to someone actually good is leben. Chuck was getting sent to the mandalay bay Valhalla by dudes that were handpicked to job him. At least wand had a few pluses in the W column after he plummeted to legend status. Chuck got sent to retirement by Rich fucking franklin unconscious.

*edit* Im done friend Heel.

VoxPop

Hendo is CURRENTLY in line for the belt, he beat shogun who wiped his dick on chuck after tipping him accordingly. The only loss wand has that wasnt to someone actually good is leben. Chuck was getting sent to the mandalay bay Valhalla by dudes that were handpicked to job him. At least wand had a few pluses in the W column after he plummeted to legend status. Chuck got sent to retirement by Rich fucking franklin unconscious.

*edit* Im done friend Heel.

Are you implying Shogun wouldn't have destroyed Wand if Wand actually fought him? Again with the MMAth. Chuck wiped the floor twice with the guy who choked Shogun unconscious. Shogun must like the dick wiping on his face too, huh?

Lol the pluses on his Win column turn out to be Bisping, Cung Le and Jardine. Amazing.

Yup the same guy beat Wand twice. He was also losing to Chuck before the KO. Wand shoulda retired after getting KTFO by Leben. Yes Chris Leben. Top 3 MW in the world

TheNatural

My Member!
Are you implying Shogun wouldn't have destroyed Wand if Wand actually fought him? Again with the MMAth. Chuck wiped the floor twice with the guy who choked Shogun unconscious. Shogun must like the dick wiping on his face too, huh?

Lol the pluses on his Win column turn out to be Bisping, Cung Le and Jardine. Amazing.

Yup the same guy beat Wand twice. He was also losing to Chuck before the KO. Wand shoulda retired after getting KTFO by Leben. Yes Chris Leben. Top 3 MW in the world

Hahahaha.

I do like the PRIDE trolling, I must say.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Im implying that the only wrestler to ko wand is now in GOAT contention. Stick to your leben straw man all you like, its the only thing you got. We're done here.

VoxPop

Im implying that the only wrestler to ko wand is now in GOAT contention. Stick to your leben straw man all you like, its the only thing you got. We're done here.

Yet you bash Chuck's credentials against strikers when in fact he had beaten more strikers than Wand. Every top striker he ever faced aside from Rampage beat Wand. He beat more wrestlers ( real ones ) too. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see Rashad destroy Wand at 185 soon. Toodles

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Chuck barely beat Wand the first time, what makes you think he would've beaten Wand in 2003/4 ?
Stylistcly, their big difference was looping punches for Wanderlei and straight punches for Chuck. At that time, I'd have said that Chuck would win simply because Chuck would send more chin punches down the pipe while Wanderlei was missing haymakers, especially since at that time, Wanderlei kept his hands kinda wide when at the ready.

23-Chuck-Liddell-Wanderlei-Silva-UFC-79.jpg

It was even more exagerated than this.

Because of my parents I've fucking hated most celebrities since I was a kid.
I don't understand this comment.

Heel

Stylistcly, their big difference was looping punches for Wanderlei and straight punches for Chuck. At that time, I'd have said that Chuck would win simply because Chuck would send more chin punches down the pipe while Wanderlei was missing haymakers, especially since at that time, Wanderlei kept his hands kinda wide when at the ready.

23-Chuck-Liddell-Wanderlei-Silva-UFC-79.jpg

It was even more exagerated than this.

I don't understand this comment.

How many times does Chuck have to be put on Liberace Lane with looping hooks for you to think otherwise? Go watch the Page fights. I distinctly remember Chuck getting bullrushed by looping bombs on the same night that Wand would've dusted him. By the same guy that Wand had hanging over the bottom rope leakin' like a project faucet no less. That fight woulda been freeeeeee.

Top Bottom