• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Inb4 people use MMAmath to say Anderson > Bones because Anderson ko'd Bonnar but Jones didn't.

Bonnar getting KO'd? Unless Anderson brings a baseball bat into the octagon I don't see it happening. If anything it'll be a decision or a 4th round submission when Bonnar gasses.

VASPER

Banned
Dumb 3 round event, Bonnar better bring it and Anderson dose not give a shit about testing him self. Now Anderson really IMO doesn't have too but i would like to see him fighting someone bigger, i see this going down like the Forrest fight did.

I'd give props to Silva if he fought a top 205, but fighting Bonnar (who I like) is such a weak route to go.

Now White taking shots at Jon Jones again, saying real fighters/champs take fights like this and make sure cards don't get cancelled. Is this dude a moron or what?

Jon Jones has fought and destroyed what most would consider some of the best MMA fighters ever. I do think Jones has become somewhat of a diva but if we were to compare Silva's opponents to Jones'.....lol.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Bonnar getting KO'd? Unless Anderson brings a baseball bat into the octagon I don't see it happening. If anything it'll be a decision or a 4th round submission when Bonnar gasses.

I agree -- Bonnar has yet to be KO'd in his career, although he hasn't exactly faced the gamut of strikers.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I seriously thought the Silva-Bonnar thing was a joke. Awful.

Smart for Anderson. Smart for Bonnar. Smart to put Anderson in the Brazil show. Bad for anyone wanting Anderson to fight a top-tier opponent that is a contender in the Middleweight or Light-Heavy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Killing time until the GSP fight. If either he or GSP loses though, oh man Uncle Dana will hang himself. The only way Andy loses is if he doesn't train at all.

so Anderson is fighting at LHW, and the reason for the shake up is because a LHW, Rampage, got injured and couldnt' fight Glover...so wouldn't the logical decision be to have Anderson fight Glover? Oh that's right Glover isn't an over the hill punching bag gate keeper. But keep on pumping up how Anderson is a "real fighter" dana, you bald prick.

dem

so Anderson is fighting at LHW, and the reason for the shake up is because a LHW, Rampage, got injured and couldnt' fight Glover...so wouldn't the logical decision be to have Anderson fight Glover? Oh that's right Glover isn't an over the hill punching bag gate keeper. But keep on pumping up how Anderson is a "real fighter" dana, you bald prick.

To be fair... I think glover trains with blackhouse

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i mean the card actually looks pretty decent. Nothing in the way of contenders (other than Erick da god Silva), but there's some good fights there.

Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar
Glover Teixeira vs Fabio Maldonado
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Dave Herman
Erick Silva vs Jon Fitch
Phil Davis vs Wagner Prado
Demian Maia vs Rick Story

Sure as hell is better than the last Brazil card.

I'd take Bonnar vs Silva over Okami vs Silva any day though.

for free? Sure. For $60? I'd rather see Silva not waste what few fights he has left against scrubs. And make no mistake, Bonnar is a can. He's the definintion of a gate keeper. He's a less ugly Keith Jardine. And he's getting to fight the arguably the best fighter in the world. This is worse than the shit Dana used to rail on boxing for. Top heavy cards where the champs dont' even take risks or fight the best of the best.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hating on Anderson for taking a fight where he's not even training, on short notice, at a weight division above him. Yet, kiss Jones ass and defend him when he can't even take a fight in 100% shape for the date he was set to fight on, against a guy who hasn't been training and fights in a class lower.

Yeah, not hypocritical at all.

Hating on Anderson for taking a fight where he's not even training, on short notice, at a weight division above him. Yet, kiss Jones ass and defend him when he can't even take a fight in 100% shape for the date he was set to fight on, against a guy who hasn't been training and fights in a class lower.

Yeah, not hypocritical at all.

I'm not hating on Anderson. I'm hating on Dana and the UFC for putting this clown show together, just like I hated on Dana and the UFC for trying to put Bones in a clown show.

I bet he lasts longer than Sonnen. Plus it's only a 3 rounder.

Might as well charge $60 for a Anderson Silva sparring session. That's basically what this amounts to. The only hypocrite here is Dana. Listen to some of his interviews from a few years back, how he used to rip on boxing for being run by greedy promotes like Bob Arum, how boxing was going into the tank because the top fighters never fought each other. Because greedy promoters expected people to pay top dollar to watch the best fighters take risk-free fights against guys that don't belong in the same ring.

TheNatural

My Member!
Might as well charge $60 for a Anderson Silva sparring session. That's basically what this amounts to. The only hypocrite here is Dana. Listen to some of his interviews from a few years back, how he used to rip on boxing for being run by greedy promotes like Bob Arum, how boxing was going into the tank because the top fighters never fought each other. Because greedy promoters expected people to pay top dollar to watch the best fighters take risk-free fights against guys that don't belong in the same ring.

What's the difference between this and basically any other PPV where the card falls apart due to injury?

It's one thing to plan it this way, another to make do with what's there. They're in Brazil and Anderson is fighting there, I'm sure the people there appreciate that more than any other potential "better" matchup between two non Brazilians.

Fifty

Well Scooter, to be fair, the Aldo/Edgar fight was an example of the UFC at its best. It was a truly fair superfight. All of a sudden, Dana is now forced to cancel that and he's Don King?

The circumstances were really shitty, most guys were tied up, and this is what we've got now. I don't like it but I understand why they had to do it. It's hard to think of many options that made a lot more sense. From a pure sporting perspective, Glover vs Bonner would have been more fair as both guys were coming off of dominating wins over Kyle Kingsbury, but this is a business more than a sport and this is what we've got.

Heel

Gentlemen, I direct your attention to the first post of this thread for the MMA schedule. God has truly blessed us this weekend.

TheNatural

My Member!
This should have been the main event:

“She has great skill pulling off that armbar. Congratulations," complimented Gracie. "She has a good Judo background and managed to well adapt her skills to MMA."

However, Kyra trust her ground game in a possible confrontation against Ronda.

“I have pretty good armbar defense, I proved that already in Jiu-Jitsu tournaments”, said Gracie, who added in a submission or jiu-jitsu match, she would have the advantage over Rousey. "I am a submission expert" she said.

kyra1.jpg

Well Scooter, to be fair, the Aldo/Edgar fight was an example of the UFC at its best. It was a truly fair superfight. All of a sudden, Dana is now forced to cancel that and he's Don King?

The circumstances were really shitty, most guys were tied up, and this is what we've got now. I don't like it but I understand why they had to do it. It's hard to think of many options that made a lot more sense. From a pure sporting perspective, Glover vs Bonner would have been more fair as both guys were coming off of dominating wins over Kyle Kingsbury, but this is a business more than a sport and this is what we've got.

No, if Don King was Jon Jones' promoter, he wouldn't be out in the media ripping his golden goose to make himself look like a fake tough guy, so you are correct, Dana is NOT, in fact, Don King. That would be an insult to Don King.

I think it's time we all just accept the inevitable decline of the UFC, gentlemen.

There are too many meaningless and/or thin cards, good insurance that makes a fighter's decision to not fight much easier, an inability to build true stars, a production aesthetic that turns away lots of people who aren't dudebros, shitty judging, no control over their own rulesets, and a petulant child of a president who -- in addition to the normal embarrassing tirades -- publicly runs down the great fighters and champions he is supposed to be promoting...

I will continue to enjoy the Ultimate, but I think it has gone as far as it will go under the current leadership.

ShaneB

Was this mentioned yet??

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/09/12/jon_jones_record_tim_and_sid_fan590/

"UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon (Bones) Jones said Wednesday one of the reasons he turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen on short notice was because in didn’t want to haphazardly jeopardize his chance at history.

Jones, who has successfully defended the light-heavyweight belt three straight times since capturing it with a win over Mauricio (Shogun) Rua in March 2011, is two wins away from breaking the record for most consecutive title defences in the 205-pound division, a distinction currently held by Tito Ortiz.

"If I were to somehow come up short against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Jones was a guest on the show ahead of next week's UFC 152 in Toronto and discussed a number of topics, including his title defence against Vitor Belfort and the cancellation of last month’s UFC 151 in Las Vegas after Jones declined a fight with Sonnen as a replacement for an injured Dan Henderson.`

There are no words.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Maldonado vs. Texiera will be a scrap.

v33qqg9ydfz.gif

Also Stephan Bonnar is getting his last big fight before retiring. It's cool that the UFC is giving him this main event opportunity, but i swear every event is just filled with injuries.

5xqi0.gif

Hey guys, I no longer have time to tell if people are trolling. Is Bonnar really fighting Andy?

JBJ said a while ago that his goal was to surpass Tito's record, so ya...Bns pls

Also yes, people who stop completely at the end of the merge cause accidents. Last time I almost hit someone was cuz I was speeding up to merge and she stopped completely at the bottom of the onramp. I came very close to slamming into her. There was like 40 feet for her to change lanes too.

Perfect, thanks!

Manhoef vs Minowaman? Alright, my Saturday is set. Nerdchat?

And those are the random selection of posts I read today.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Was this mentioned yet??

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/09/12/jon_jones_record_tim_and_sid_fan590/

"UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon (Bones) Jones said Wednesday one of the reasons he turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen on short notice was because in didn’t want to haphazardly jeopardize his chance at history.

Jones, who has successfully defended the light-heavyweight belt three straight times since capturing it with a win over Mauricio (Shogun) Rua in March 2011, is two wins away from breaking the record for most consecutive title defences in the 205-pound division, a distinction currently held by Tito Ortiz.

"If I were to somehow come up short against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Jones was a guest on the show ahead of next week's UFC 152 in Toronto and discussed a number of topics, including his title defence against Vitor Belfort and the cancellation of last month’s UFC 151 in Las Vegas after Jones declined a fight with Sonnen as a replacement for an injured Dan Henderson.`

There are no words.

So basically:

"If I were to somehow come up short against Vitor Belfort, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against Vitor Belfort, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Or:

"If I were to somehow come up short against Dan Henderson, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against Dan Henderson, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Or even:

"If I were to somehow come up short
(oh my!)
against McKayla Maroney, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against McKayla Maroney, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Jones just laid down a mandate for early retirement with a quote like that which - in effect - boils down to "I've got so much to lose so why bother."

He needs to hire a decent PR guy.

Manhoef vs Minowaman? Alright, my Saturday is set. Nerdchat?

And those are the random selection of posts I read today.

Manhoef isn't fighting Minowa.

The UFC have taken so many steps back in their pursuit to legitamize the sport. This past year should have been a coming out party, not the last hurrah.

Top Bottom