• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

ShaneB

So basically: "lots of stuff of Jones being an idiot"

Jones just laid down a mandate for early retirement with a quote like that which - in effect - boils down to "I've got so much to lose so why bother.

He needs to hire a decent PR guy.

So I wake up and try and fathom that Bonnar is facing Silva... and that Jones is an idiot looking to fight cans to get some meaningless record.

This sport is a sham. Sigh...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So Silva finally saved a card.
And props to the UFC for giving Bonnar the biggest fight of his career as retirement fight.
Oh and LOL

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Bonnar is fighting Anderson Silva in the main event of 153
There's a part of me that hopes that Bonnar brings his punch-sponge game and ends up pulling off a Rocky Balboa performance and gives Silva some humility and it leads them to become BFFs.

rocky-apollo-hug-o.gif

Then there's the realist in me that knows that Bonnar is going to get moiderized.

what-s-your-prediction-o.gif

Was this mentioned yet??

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/09/12/jon_jones_record_tim_and_sid_fan590/

"UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon (Bones) Jones said Wednesday one of the reasons he turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen on short notice was because in didn’t want to haphazardly jeopardize his chance at history.

Jones, who has successfully defended the light-heavyweight belt three straight times since capturing it with a win over Mauricio (Shogun) Rua in March 2011, is two wins away from breaking the record for most consecutive title defences in the 205-pound division, a distinction currently held by Tito Ortiz.

"If I were to somehow come up short against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record," Jones told Sid Seixeiro during an appearance on Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Tim and Sid show. "And right now I don’t have any records, besides being the youngest champion in (UFC) history and having the longest arms in the sport’s history, which isn’t really an incredible record. So, to work as hard as I’ve worked and to just risk losing it all, it just didn’t make sense to me.

"If I had lost against Chael Sonnen, I would have had to start all over on that record, which is a long journey back. It was too much of a gamble for me."

Jones was a guest on the show ahead of next week's UFC 152 in Toronto and discussed a number of topics, including his title defence against Vitor Belfort and the cancellation of last month’s UFC 151 in Las Vegas after Jones declined a fight with Sonnen as a replacement for an injured Dan Henderson.`

There are no words.

Fuck this guy. Who can defend him now?

I like watching him fight, but surely everyone can agree this kind of shit should be unacceptable. We've hated on plenty of other fighters for suspecting they act this way, let alone publicly voicing it.

I wouldn't risk my chance at a record on a guy who trolls his way into a fight on short notice either. I'm sure Bones will kick Sonnen's ass soon enough.

Fighting careers are too short for that.

Friends, I'm so ridiculously excited about Silva vs Bonnar. I love Bonnar and hate Silva (respect the hell out of his talents though) and hope Bonnar is finally the one to put him on the ground. It should be more interesting than I assume most people will think. Bonnar is heavier, taller, has the longer reach, and has never been KOed or submitted. Call me crazy but I think he's gonna put up more of a fight than most people will suspect. At least he can't look as bad in there as Griffin did.

ShaneB

I know right, jesus, who can def...

I wouldn't risk my chance at a record on a guy who trolls his way into a fight on short notice either. I'm sure Bones will kick Sonnen's ass soon enough.

....oh wait, this guy did. Seriously? I have no respect for these goons picking their fights and ducking opponents. If you're a fighter, you better take pride in your ability and feel like you can beat anyone. You're the champ ffs, prove you're the best by fighting anyone and be confident you can win. This "oh yeah Joe Silva, I'll fight whoever you put in front of me" mentality suddenly stops when you're on top. Fuck this stupid shit. What a fucked up sport where the inmates run the asylum. (I'm also pissed at their being no NHL agreement yet...) Heaven forbid the Patriots if they decided not to play the Giants in that Super Bowl to ruin their perfect season a few years ago, and so on.

Friends, I'm so ridiculously excited about Silva vs Bonnar. I love Bonnar and hate Silva (respect the hell out of his talents though) and hope Bonnar is finally the one to put him on the ground. It should be more interesting than I assume most people will think. Bonnar is heavier, taller, has the longer reach, and has never been KOed or submitted. Call me crazy but I think he's gonna put up more of a fight than most people will suspect. At least he can't look as bad in there as Griffin did.

Wish I had your enthusiasm.

Also, I watched In Bruges last night. Good times.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I think he will definitely make it interesting if nothing else.

Boogie

Silva v Bonnar? With Weidman basically waiting in the wings begging for a shot?

*Daniels from The Wire "this is bull-shit.gif*

....oh wait, this guy did. Seriously? I have no respect for these goons picking their fights and ducking opponents. If you're a fighter, you better take pride in your ability and feel like you can beat anyone. You're the champ ffs, prove you're the best by fighting anyone and be confident you can win. This "oh yeah Joe Silva, I'll fight whoever you put in front of me" mentality suddenly stops when you're on top. Fuck this stupid shit. What a fucked up sport where the inmates run the asylum. (I'm also pissed at their being no NHL agreement yet...) Heaven forbid the Patriots if they decided not to play the Giants in that Super Bowl to ruin their perfect season a few years ago, and so on.

The patriots would be acting outside the rules, Bones was perfectly within his rights. If Dana wanted the power to force fights he should have contracted for that.

Fifty

Silva v Bonnar? With Weidman basically waiting in the wings begging for a shot?

*Daniels from The Wire "this is bull-shit.gif*

Well putting aside that Silva had basically decided to wait for a GSP fight and didn't plan on fighting this year until this easy pay day and chance to be a hero in front of his home fans arose..

Weidman just had surgery and wouldn't have been ready. http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/7/3302053/chris-weidman-undergoes-successful-elbow-surgery

I like watching him fight, but surely everyone can agree this kind of shit should be unacceptable. We've hated on plenty of other fighters for suspecting they act this way, let alone publicly voicing it.
It's not his first time voicing this sentiment.. He basically said the same thing when talking about fighting Anderson.

Hunt should only fight guys like Carwin, JDS, Cain, Overeem, Nelson etc. Take a different path than Werdum. Should avoid Mir and Nog, though he has a decent chance of beating both.

Andy vs Bonnar is a 3 rounder as well? Wow thats lame. Its a fucking main even. Also Fuck Jones. I hope Vitor knocks his fucking ugly head off.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

A better answer would've been something along the lines of "Chael doesn't deserve a title shot, you can't just go around losing upward. Can I beat Sonnen? Absolutely, but just because I can beat someone doesn't mean I should face every single person who wants a chance at the title, you have to earn that chance. Otherwise you devalue the division."

Some shit along those lines. Yes/no?

The way he comes across now seems petty and is representing him in a poor light. People are thinking him weak despite his tremendous talent and likely ability to put away anyone at that weight. Hell, I think he could lose and still comeback and reclaim his title. He's still young and has so much more he can and does improve with each fight.

DKehoe

Andy vs Bonnar is a 3 rounder as well? Wow thats lame. Its a fucking main even. Also Fuck Jones. I hope Vitor knocks his fucking ugly head off.

Since its short notice they won't be able to train properly for 5 rounds. I guess I'd rather they go all out for 3 rounds (if it goes that far) than pace themselves so they don't gas out by the end.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
At least Jones admited that he was scared of Sonnen.

A better answer would've been something along the lines of "Chael doesn't shoot deserve a title shot, you can't just go around losing upward. Can I beat Sonnen? Absolutely, but just because I can beat someone doesn't mean I should face every single person who wants a chance at the title, you have to earn that chance. Otherwise you devalue the division."

Some shit along those lines. Yes/no?

The way he comes across now seems petty and is representing him in a poor light. People are thinking him weak despite his tremendous talent and likely ability to put away anyone at that weight. Hell, I think he could lose and still comeback and reclaim his title. He's still young and has so much more he can and does improve with each fight.

Oh no, I absolutely agree that he could have handled it better. I just think the decision was rational given his interest in his own career, and it had little to do with being "afraid to fight."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If anything he's overrated. "Hunto" has already been steamrolled by Overeem and wouldn't last much longer against JDS or Cain.

I said JBJ is not a "fighter" earlier. He just proved he's not a fighter. A fighter fights. A guy that fixes cars, fixes cars. Etc. I don't want to sound like a Tapout wearing meathead. But JBJ is setting a bad example. I just don't understand not wanting to do your chosen career. He should love stepping into the cage with anyone. Even Chael. Not sure how beating Chael diminishes his legacy. Especially if he wants to pad his record with cans because that's how it sounds.

And yes, Dana is moron too.

I'm on the Bonnar wagon! Who's with me?

ShaneB

I said JBJ is not a "fighter" earlier. He just proved he's not a fighter. A fighter fights. A guy that fixes cars, fixes cars. Etc. I don't want to sound like a Tapout wearing meathead. But JBJ is setting a bad example. I just don't understand not wanting to do your chosen career. He should love stepping into the cage with anyone. Even Chael. Not sure how beating Chael diminishes his legacy. Especially if he wants to pad his record with cans because that's how it sounds.

Well said.

I guess by default I'm on the Boner wagon as well since I hate Andy Silva. Still doesn't make the matchmaking any less ridiculous. :(
typo intended. It made me laugh. I'm so bored at work.

If you are a mechanic and you don't agree to the terms that someone wants you to fix their car under, guess what, you dont fix their car. Dana just wants these guys to be his personal stable of fighting dogs. That might work on guys who have no pull or are afraid of crossing him, but Bones has clout I'm not gonna blame the guy for using it.

If anything he's overrated. "Hunto" has already been steamrolled by Overeem and wouldn't last much longer against JDS or Cain.

I'd say he matches up well with JDS and if he hits Cain than Cain will be dead. If Hunt fought JDS in a ring id say he might even win, since he must be more accustomed to the ring because of K1.

thefro

Yeah, styles make fights and Bonnar matches up pretty well with Silva actually. Bonnar usually gets beaten when he gets taken down and Silva isn't going to do that.

Bonnar was able to get a hold of Machida and rock him with a knee before that fight got stopped for cuts under Bonnar's eyes (which probably wouldn't have stopped a UFC fight). Silva's striking usually doesn't cut people open either.

Heel

Yes, Anderson is going to fare worse than Krzysztof Soszynski. Might want to read about the first time Stephen decided to take a boat ride down the Amazon.

It's nice to want things, but y'all are seriously reaching right now. He's a damage sponge who is going to get styled on. Even I can see that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yes, Anderson is going to fair worse than Krzysztof Soszynski. Might want to read about the first time Stephen decided to take a boat ride down the Amazon.

It's nice to want things, but y'all are seriously reaching right now. He's a damage sponge who is going to get styled on. Even I can see that.

Yeah but he's not gonna go for a takedown, and he might last for longer than 16 seconds.

Heel

Yeah but he's not gonna go for a takedown, and he might last for longer than 16 seconds.

lol that's true.

People thinking that 'styles make fights' should realize how bad Anderson's hand and foot speed is for someone like Bonnar. He's going to get whopped no matter how long he survives.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yes, Anderson is going to fare worse than Krzysztof Soszynski. Might want to read about the first time Stephen decided to take a boat ride down the Amazon.

Friends, when Heel thinks you're reaching on a main event underdog, it's time to reevaluate your position.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
lol that's true.

People thinking that 'styles make fights' should realize how bad Anderson's hand and foot speed is for someone like Bonnar. He's going to get whopped no matter how long he survives.

Let us not forget what Candy did to Bonnar's BFF Forest. There's a huge power discrepancy that is not in Bonnar's favor either.

Not sure if you're referring to Bonnar with that first statement, but Bonnar is almost assuredly going to go for takedowns. His last two fights were one-sided grappling clinics with him going for a takedown every chance he got. And I don't see Silva doing too well if he does get taken down, though it probably wouldn't get to that point.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Not sure if you're referring to Bonnar with that first statement, but Bonnar is almost assuredly going to go for takedowns. His last two fights were one-sided grappling clinics with him going for a takedown every chance he got. And I don't see Silva doing too well if he does get taken down, though it probably wouldn't get to that point.

Company man Bonnar knows whats expected of him friend.

Top Bottom