• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
It kind of sucks, because in other sports there's kind of a clear path; you do this, this and this, and you get this.

Fitch is so stupid and bitchy, and mainly wrong.

First, he's talking about TEAM sports. With leagues. And cities representing the teams. And fans representing the teams going to the games. Jon Fitch isn't in any of these, and has none of these, especially the fans part.

Of course you have a fucking playoff and schedule in team sports, because you have the cities that will go to see their team play at home, but in individual sports? Golf, tennis, racing, and other shit doesn't have a "clear" path. They have scheduled events, and math point formulas to decide a "champion" - which is mostly meaningless when competitors would rather win a Wimbledon, Masters, or Indy 500 event than a "tour title." So there's never really a clear path for individual sports like there are in team sports, because the event itself matters more than some overall formula crowning a league champion.

In the end, fighting is completely about if people want to see you fight and how good the guy you're fighting is. Totally about entertainment and excitement, and being good as what you do along with it. Fitch is none of these. And in individual sports, even 20,000 people from your hometown wouldn't go to support you at an event, because they don't give a fuck. And that's especially true with Jon Fitch.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Fitch is so stupid and bitchy, and mainly wrong.

First, he's talking about TEAM sports. With leagues. And cities representing the teams. And fans representing the teams going to the games. Jon Fitch isn't in any of these, and has none of these, especially the fans part.

Of course you have a fucking playoff and schedule in team sports, because you have the cities that will go to see their team play at home, but in individual sports? Golf, tennis, racing, and other shit doesn't have a "clear" path. They have scheduled events, and math point formulas to decide a "champion" - which is mostly meaningless when competitors would rather win a Wimbledon, Masters, or Indy 500 event than a "tour title." So there's never really a clear path for individual sports like there are in team sports, because the event itself matters more than some overall formula crowning a league champion.

In the end, fighting is completely about if people want to see you fight and how good the guy you're fighting is. Totally about entertainment and excitement, and being good as what you do along with it. Fitch is none of these. And in individual sports, even 20,000 people from your hometown wouldn't go to support you at an event, because they don't give a fuck. And that's especially true with Jon Fitch.

Required viewing regarding Jon Fitch - http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/27/jon-fitch-is-afraid-mma-will-become-pro-wrestling

I stumbled across a hilarious, if not completely well done Dana White GIF:

danasmoke.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Saw the TUF episode, Dana really shouldn't speak poorly of the contestants. If he wants exciting fighters than why not change the rules to get into the house? Make it so that only allow those who finish their fight get in. It would give them the pressure to truly earn their keep and go for the high risk, high reward shit Dana so desires.

ShaneB

Saw the TUF episode, Dana really shouldn't speak poorly of the contestants. If he wants exciting fighters than why not change the rules to get into the house? Make it so that only allow those who finish their fight get in. It would give them the pressure to truly earn their keep and go for the high risk, high reward shit Dana so desires.

I keep saying, this is exactly why last seasons premiere was so damn awesome. When you've only got one round to make a statement, you damn well better come out with guns a'blazin and dominate early.

His attitude is truly remarkable for someone who is basically the most important person in mixed martial arts. He seems more interested in professional wrestling or boxing than true mma. And the funny thing is I just watched an interview a week or two ago with Bruce Buffer complaining about UFC fans that boo the second the action gets stale. Its hard to blame those people who are not only putting out $200 a ticket plus travel expenses, but who are following an organization whose own president is quicker to boo what he considers boring fights quicker than they are. I know Dana loves the attempts at KOs and what not but he has to realize that there is benefits to wrestling, grappling, and submissions too.

ShaneB

His attitude is truly remarkable for someone who is basically the most important person in mixed martial arts. He seems more interested in professional wrestling or boxing than true mma. And the funny thing is I just watched an interview a week or two ago with Bruce Buffer complaining about UFC fans that boo the second the action gets stale. Its hard to blame those people who are not only putting out $200 a ticket plus travel expenses, but who are following an organization whose own president is quicker to boo what he considers boring fights quicker than they are. I know Dana loves the attempts at KOs and what not but he has to realize that there is benefits to wrestling, grappling, and submissions too.

To clarify, in the episode as well Dana did specify that a great grappling/wrestling match can just be as exciting as a stand up brawl.

I just assumed his viewpoint was riffing on point fighters, grinding out a win and not doing anything besides make the judges happy instead of the fans.. Not to mention he picked apart a guy for gassing as well.

It might have just been how the voiceovers were edited but he sounded like he was getting upset as soon as anyone went for a takedown or clinch.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
They started going that way last season.

I think they're under the mistaken impression that we give a shit about the house stuff. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a vignette about someone's personal journey and finding out who they are as a person. But, the SpikeTV hold over of "we got drunk and peed in the watermelon" portion of the show is embarassing.

VoxPop

They started going that way last season.

I think they're under the mistaken impression that we give a shit about the house stuff. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a vignette about someone's personal journey and finding out who they are as a person. But, the SpikeTV hold over of "we got drunk and peed in the watermelon" portion of the show is embarassing.

Yeah all the house stuff is actually why I don't watch it as I don't care for it at all.

On another note, do you think Anderson will be the first person to brutally finish Bonnar? I wouldn't mind seeing him bust out some Aikido moves either.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I enjoy the downtime of news, means no one is hurt this week and shit.
This, so much this.
Man, I remember when I used to plan my weekend around UFCs.
This too. I might not even watch this weekend's event since I'll probably be clubbing with co-workers instead. I remember when I'd get upset when I missed an event and downloaded them afterwards. Now? It's "eh, I'll just read the results".

GungHo

On another note, do you think Anderson will be the first person to brutally finish Bonnar? I wouldn't mind seeing him bust out some Aikido moves either.
In my mind, I'm hoping it will be a battle worthy of a Rocky movie, with one ultra-skilled asshole slowly developing respect for a guy who's best move is blocking with his face.

In my heart, I realize that it will be 30 seconds of punching followed by
Silva+belfort+2.gif

FACE

Banned
Since when is being honest frowned upon here?

Edit: Very well then, a nice picture with a bunch of legends in it. *chuckle*

Heel

So disrespectful to the legends.

Disgusted.

Let's get to choppin' this fable...

YO HOL' UP.

HE GON' GET THIS WORK!

Let's get to choppin' this fable
You a softie, Starbucks coffees moccasins bagels
Lemme vent, time to get some shit on the table
I bet every red cent, you want the lint in McKayla's young navel

luxd5ujl.gif

Landslide.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

YO HOL' UP.

HE GON' GET THIS WORK!

luxd5ujl.gif

Landslide.

iba7T1WGbjwmFP.gif

GungHo

YO HOL' UP.

HE GON' GET THIS WORK!

luxd5ujl.gif

Landslide.
Sorry, boss. You're giving me no choice here.

29_twdkotw-5b.gif

Top Bottom