• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
For the UFC's sake I hope they never entrust the midgets to headline a PPV. And FOX events too for that matter. There's absolutely zero entertainment value in them.

Its funny - since the end of the fight I've read Belfort went in with a broken rib and a broken hand. It might be true but to me it just sounds like damage control from Jones haters.

industrian

Dana just gave us the ok for not paying to watch ppvs.

I just watched that highlight right now. I understand that it's typical Dana hyperbole when his new midget champion is sitting right next to him, but c'mon son, you gotta pick your words better than that. There's a million other ways you could have phrased that - even within the limitations of an Angry Dana vocabulary.

And seeing Jonesy and Demmy sitting together... Demmy looks like Jones' son.

Its funny - since the end of the fight I've read Belfort went in with a broken rib and a broken hand. It might be true but to me it just sounds like damage control from Jones haters.

The first thing I thought of when Jones kicked Vitor in the stomach, and Vitor delayed to go down was Werdum vs Fedor.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I just watched that highlight right now. I understand that it's typical Dana hyperbole when his new midget champion is sitting right next to him, but c'mon son, you gotta pick your words better than that. There's a million other ways you could have phrased that - even within the limitations of an Angry Dana vocabulary.
You know, if I was a company employee, I would be happy to have my boss stand up for me in a public forum like that, especially when I'm being pissed upon.

However, I'd also hope my boss is a bit more eloquent than "don't buy our product, you're a moron".

Dana on Benavidez vs Johnson to the press: "You're an asshole if you didn't like it!"

Dana on Benavidez vs Johnson if they were fighting to get into the TUF house: "These guys don't want it."

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I miss the days that the UFC would bring in sideshow attractions to help their talent look better.

Kimbo Slice, James Toney, Brock Lesnar (who turned out better), etc. While the first two weren't expected to do much, they at least created a lot of excitement and talk among many. I am surprised Herschel Walker hasn't fought again, he's another sideshow attraction that can help attracting PPV buys.

I miss the days that the UFC would bring in sideshow attractions to help their talent look better.

Kimbo Slice, James Toney, Brock Lesnar (who turned out better), etc. While the first two weren't expected to do much, they at least created a lot of excitement and talk among many. I am surprised Herschel Walker hasn't fought again, he's another sideshow attraction that can help attracting PPV buys.

Silva/Bonnar is a side show.

FACE

Banned
2mgm4ax5wuja.gif

"Natch, come out to play-i-ay."

Vitor breaking Jones arm would've been awful for the UFC. The second best fighter you have who consistently fights now is out for a while and a dude who is always injured is your champ.

I miss Brock. Say what you will about him but you can't deny the dude put on a show. I loved how aggressive he would come out. Guys just don't bull rush like he did.

I miss Brock. Say what you will about him but you can't deny the dude put on a show. I loved how aggressive he would come out. Guys just don't bull rush like he did.
True, I always got excited watching him fight. Even his entrance would get me pumped up and I didn't even like him, but you knew he was going to be super aggressive the whole time. Well, unless he got punched, but even that was really entertaining. Watching him spin away on the ground, like as long as he did some flips it's not really running away.

Caspel

True, I always got excited watching him fight. Even his entrance would get me pumped up and I didn't even like him, but you knew he was going to be super aggressive the whole time. Well, unless he got punched, but even that was really entertaining. Watching him spin away on the ground, like as long as he did some flips it's not really running away.

I concur. Even though I knew Randy Couture was going to win easily against James Toney, I still was pumped for the fight since there's always a chance for something wild to happen. UFC didn't use Kimbo that well, so he was there and gone within a flash against no-name opponents that weren't easy to build up.

Even though Dave Batista and Bobby Lashley are worthless, I'd still like to see fighters like Frank Mir, Big Nog, and those on the outside looking in take a fight against them to keep me entertained.

Same goes with say Herschel Walker against Forrest Griffin. It's a win-win for the UFC that is marketable. Forrest is not going to challenge Jones, so him losing (unlikely) to Walker wouldn't hurt the UFC.

I remember I was most excited about The Ultimate Fighter Heavyweights show because it gave the illusion that athletes from other sports would be attempting to try out MMA.

Oh you lost me on Toney. That was embarrassing for everyone. I wasn't excited at all. I was disturbed that the commission allowed it, considering Toney had like 6 months of grappling training.

Caspel

Oh you lost me on Toney. That was embarrassing for everyone. I wasn't excited at all. I was disturbed that the commission allowed it, considering Toney had like 6 months of grappling training.

Perhaps it was compelling to me since I was tired of the boxing critics downplaying MMA. Allowing Couture, a posterboy for MMA, to face Toney and add another victory to his popular career was great.

industrian

I concur. Even though I knew Randy Couture was going to win easily against James Toney, I still was pumped for the fight since there's always a chance for something wild to happen. UFC didn't use Kimbo that well, so he was there and gone within a flash against no-name opponents that weren't easy to build up.

Even though Dave Batista and Bobby Lashley are worthless, I'd still like to see fighters like Frank Mir, Big Nog, and those on the outside looking in take a fight against them to keep me entertained.

Same goes with say Herschel Walker against Forrest Griffin. It's a win-win for the UFC that is marketable. Forrest is not going to challenge Jones, so him losing (unlikely) to Walker wouldn't hurt the UFC.

I remember I was most excited about The Ultimate Fighter Heavyweights show because it gave the illusion that athletes from other sports would be attempting to try out MMA.

Blame the push by the UFC to be both considered and accepted as a "sport" for this. There's no desire from them to put on "freakshow" fights or to give screen-time to part-time or "curiosity" fighters such as those you describe as it just damages their attempts to be taken seriously. The obvious drawback being from this push to be taken seriously as a sport is obvious though: only enthusiasts of the sport will watch the fucking thing.

industrian

If I were running Strikeforce, I would only have around 6 events a year with at least two title fights per event. Their current event scheduling combined with lack of talent isn't sustainable.

That and Strikeforce's website is a pile of shit.

industrian

Villante was supposed to be hyping his fight on the MMA Hour as well. That's going to be a short interview. :p

I love the salt on Sherdog ...

1. Belfort went in with broken ribs
2. Belfort went in with a broken hand
3. Jones has an unfair reach advantage
4. Jones illegally spiked Belfort to escape the armbar
5. Jones opening crab walk s/b illegal because he's not standing to answer the bell
6. Jones should have points deducted for attempted eye pokes
7. The knee kick Jones uses should be illegal
8. Jones was unfairly digging his forehead into Belforts eye

I'm sure there's more than that even but thats all I can remember off the top of my head right now.

Anderson knows:

1) He can't sell cards on his name alone.
2) Weidman has no name to casuals and doesn't cut promos to sell fights.
3) Weidman is too dangerous to risk losing to for a small PPV buyrate with a GSP superfight looming on the horizon.

SteveWD40

Anderson knows:

1) He can't sell cards on his name alone.
2) Weidman has no name to casuals and doesn't cut promos to sell fights.
3) Weidman is too dangerous to risk losing to for a small PPV buyrate with a GSP superfight looming on the horizon.

I expect Silva to move around weight classes doing superfights now, he can't be far away from retiring and probably wants to earn a few million first. Bonnar (lol), GSP, maybe Wand.

The only fight I think he would take right now at MW is Bisping, just due to the fact Bisping is a well paid draw who can actually hype / sell a fight, it would also be a gimme for Silva..

DKehoe

The only fight I think he would take right now at MW is Bisping, just due to the fact Bisping is a well paid draw who can actually hype / sell a fight, it would also be a gimme for Silva..

Anderson has spoken quite a bit about wanting to fight Bisping. Bisping is well known and a stylistically a good match up for Anderson to beat.

SteveWD40

Anderson has spoken quite a bit about wanting to fight Bisping. Bisping is well known and a stylistically a good match up for Anderson to beat.

I seem to recall he had, and he should as well, would be a big draw (would sell out the O2 in London easily, Silva is still well liked here from his Cage Rage days) and Silva would be able to have some fun fucking with a guy who will engage him on the feet out of necessity.

industrian

With Silva nearing the end of his career, and GSP too fail to risk it any longer, I can see Dana shooting for the Silva vs. GSP superfight on the July 4 weekend next year or close enough to that date.

So this is the roadmap I see:

Boetsch vs. Weidman at NY.

Bisping vs. Boetsch/Weidman at around the same time as Silva vs. GSP.

Silva vs. Bisping/Boetsch/Weidman around September/October in Brazil.

Depending on circumstances though (GSP being on his period, etc) I can just see them having Silva vs. Bisping next summer though.

SteveWD40

The winner of Makler/Weidman having to fight Bisping for a title shot is utterly hilarious. Weidman will have 3 top 10 wins in a row with a victory. God, I hate this sport..

I don't think he should. I think if Weidman wins he is next on paper but Silva wants no part of another low payday, he isn't getting any younger.

Weidman would likely lose to Bisping as well, bad match up for him (won't be held down, high work rate, busy standup). I think the reason Mike wasn't calling for a title shot (as he usually does) after 152 was that they might have told him behind the scenes that he is next but in reserve, if someone gets injured or a fight goes the way they don't like they will call on him. He is a company man after all.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It used to be that the tattooed man/lady were a side show attraction. Now you gotta see people drive carpentry nails into their pinky toes to get a thrill.

You know what, I'm going to disagree with that. If a professional athelete wants to get in and get his ass kicked, that's ok with me. What was most disturbing about that was that I'm pretty sure James Toney is brain damaged and shouldn't be licensed to fight in the base case.

Other than that, I'm ok with taking all comers. I'm even ok with Celebrity MMA. Let's see how mush shit Joe Rogan talks after Dolph Lundgren legit kills him.

I love the salt on Sherdog ...

How do they wish to address this one?

tumblr_m6y5yfLZle1ql7spi.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't care what Silva wants. Dana needs to make his champions defend the title if they're healthy. Sick of the BS with this sport.

industrian

The winner of Makler/Weidman having to fight Bisping for a title shot is utterly hilarious. Weidman will have 3 top 10 wins in a row with a victory. God, I hate this sport.

If Silva vs. GSP is a reality for Q1/2 2013 then it's inevitable. Both potential challengers (Bisping and winner of Boetsch/Weidman) would either have to wait to see which one of them Dana/Soares preferred, or instead leave them no choice by fighting.

I agree fully. The fact that his arms are bigger than his competition is one of the top reasons why he's the undisputed champion. Just like Kendall Grove and Stefan Struve are.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Silva/GSP is not going to happen, lets cut the delusion friends.

lol. In before Uncle Dana demonizes Showtime like Jon Jones for what ultimately is yet again their fucking fault for putting on thin cards. God. How many clear messages does this motherfucker need to get it through his thick skull? One injury should not destroy your card.

Thank you to Showtime for sending a message.

Have you seen the Strikefarce roster? When you're biggest draw is a woman with 3 moves in her arsenal, you have problems.

I agree fully. The fact that his arms are bigger than his competition is one of the top reasons why he's the undisputed champion. Just like Kendall Grove and Stefan Struve are.

In the one thread that I mustered up the energy to argue, my point was .. in the very same night as Jones/Belfort, why didn't Walel Watson beat Magnon? Watson towered over Magnon and had a HUGE reach advantage but still got his clocked clean. The height/reach advantage only works if you know how to use it or Struve would be the HW champ and Semmy Schilt would be ruling the world.

Top Bottom