• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Silva/GSP is not going to happen, lets cut the delusion friends.

Bu-bu-bu Cowboys Stadium! Fit GSP! Silva cashing in! It has to happen, just has to... ;_;

Have you seen the Strikefarce roster? When you're biggest draw is a woman with 3 moves in her arsenal, you have problems.

Like I said, every Strikeforce event should have 2 title fights on it. That way they're injury-proof and actually have "talent" in them.

In the one thread that I mustered up the energy to argue, my point was .. in the very same night as Jones/Belfort, why didn't Walel Watson beat Magnon? Watson towered over Magnon and had a HUGE reach advantage but still got his clocked clean. The height/reach advantage only works if you know how to use it or Struve would be the HW champ and Semmy Schilt would be ruling the world.

Cheick Kongo would also be unstoppable with his 82" reach. But just like the betas on GAF always say: it's not the size that matters it's what you do with it.

For Jones it's just another multiplier along with his skillset, energy, workrate, confidence and athleticism.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Cheick Kongo fights at heavyweight, friend. I have serious doubts about Jones maintaining his dominance at that weight class.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I do have to say that I loved when Vitor tried to kick JJ after he came out crawling and Big John is like, "Tough shit, you wanted to play the game."

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Cheick Kongo fights at heavyweight, friend. I have serious doubts about Jones maintaining his dominance at that weight class.

Kongo would just attempt to push Jones against the cage and would get his paper mache chin cracked in the process.

Heel

You mofukkas thought Super Fight League was dead? Sanjay Dutt ain't about that life.

Super Fight League launches Friday Night Fight Nights

First event: Friday 12th October

- 3 hours of programming delivered each week

- To take place in specially designed studio in Mumbai

- 4 – 5 Indian MMA fights (various weight categories)

- 2 female bouts (Indian & International)

- One main event fight

- Total = 8 fights per night

- Invite only audience (100 – 200 VIP guests)

- Pre – fight entertainment

- Live & free to air globally on SFL dedicated YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/sfl

The press release says they're partnering with Invicta to become a feeder league for girlfight talent.

t6pmP.png

Lot of good fights this weekend. Sadollah and Pickett are two of my favorite fighters. Looking forwarded to the bolded ...

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV, 4 p.m. ET)
•Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
•Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
•Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
•Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

•John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
•Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 1 p.m. ET)
•Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa
&#8226;Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle <-- I wan Ogle to KO Corassani in the worst way
&#8226;Brad Tavares vs. Tom Watson
&#8226;DaMarques Johnson vs. Gunnar Nelson
&#8226;Robert Peralta vs. Jason Young

Yeah Igor is a fool for that one, bitching about getting subbed. It'd be one thing if he got Fitched, no one likes to see that... But Igor got tapped. This is MMA.

Every time Jones fights I feel that people are discovering more holes in his game. Machida proved that hes vulnerable on the feet and Vitor just proves that he's a bit sloppy from the top. If he goes to HW id like to see him fight a guy like Werdum.

SteveWD40

Lot of good fights this weekend. Sadollah and Pickett are two of my favorite fighters. Looking forwarded to the bolded ...

&#8226;Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
&#8226;Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
&#8226;Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
&#8226;Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

&#8226;John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
&#8226;Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills

&#8226;Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa
&#8226;Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle <-- I wan Ogle to KO Corassani in the worst way

I hate that Hathaway is fighting Maguire as I love them both. I think they both have a huge potential but I give the edge to Hathaway.

Will be good to see if Poster Boy has what it takes as well...

Every time Jones fights I feel that people are discovering more holes in his game. Machida proved that hes vulnerable on the feet and Vitor just proves that he's a bit sloppy from the top. If he goes to HW id like to see him fight a guy like Werdum.

Yep, his air of invincibility is slipping at least.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Jones has KO power now? His striking is no good, friend.
He doesn't need KO power. He has fillet knives for knees and elbows. Making someone look like a tampon works psychologically.

Yeah Igor is a fool for that one, bitching about getting subbed. It'd be one thing if he got Fitched, no one likes to see that... But Igor got tapped. This is MMA.
"I woulda won if it hadn't been for that cheap grabbin shit. C'mon, guys! I want a do-over."

Or, put him in there with someone who is good with armbars. Like Myrrh. Or Honda Housey.

WaltJay

I do have to say that I loved when Vitor tried to kick JJ after he came out crawling and Big John is like, "Tough shit, you wanted to play the game."

That was great; that crawling crap is so annoying. I wondered what the ref said; he seemed pretty chatty all fight. He kept saying something when Jones was blocking Vitor's headkicks, but I couldn't make it out.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm alive, after downing about a year's worth of Naproxen and Ibuprofen this weekend, I think I'm a little better now. Didn't even watch the UFC show, first time I could say that in a while, that's how shitty I felt. No NFL yesterday either.

So where's my avatar Heel? I thought we agreed on an amended 80's band clause last week in chat.

I'll take my moral victory. Jones apparently almost got subbed and hurt his arm, and it took him 3 rounds later to beat the same guy at LHW who Anderson destroyed in one round.

Is this show even worth reviewing? Seems like there is absolutely no post show hype here, didn't even notice the PPV thread when I checked yesterday. UFC in decline apathy, or am the protagonist that keeps this MMA thread rolling?

DKehoe

Showtime didn't even want to show the revised show, so they canned it altogether. Sheesh, just end this shit fed.

Probably won't happen anytime soon. Showtime are happy enough with the ratings it does and Zuffa are happy with the amount they get paid from Showtime for it.

Hex

Banned
That was great; that crawling crap is so annoying. I wondered what the ref said; he seemed pretty chatty all fight. He kept saying something when Jones was blocking Vitor's headkicks, but I couldn't make it out.

Mainly all I kept hearing was him telling Jones to watch his open hands and fingers.
Not really sure what to make of the fight itself.
Everyone is all of the sudden acting like Vitor is special again.
All I saw was one good attempt at an arm bar and not much else, especially for someone supposed to be such a puncher.
The guard attempts that followed gave me bad flashbacks to Reem vs Werdum.
Now the rumors are flying about training injuries - broken hand, broken rib...

Bisping- Stann was better than I thought it would be, I like Bisping and have since TUF.

Cub Swanson looked great.

Hamill is still the one trick pony who can scoop up anyone but has no damned clue what to do with anyone while they are on the ground and then gasses himself.
How someone who trained with Tito in the early days can have such terrible conditioning.

Flyweights were crazy, did not understand the booing at all.

I've been saying both of these things since before the Shogun fight. He has bad habits that should have been worked out by now but they are still there. Which is all Jackson's camp fault. They care more about developing a game plan than developing the fighter.

JDS or Reem would knock him the fuck out as soon as he jabbed at them. When he is someones guard he leaves his arms fully extended across their chest.

Well, its up to the opponent to take advantage and beat him but so far his strengths are able to cover for his weaknesses

Yeah I know but he wants to move up right? HW have some guys that take advantage of all the holes he has.

Honestly he needs to train with someone like Cesar Gracie. He actually helps people close the gaps in their game.

yeah I just said something nice about Cesar Gracie.

VoxPop

Lackluster event overall. Any one think 125 is overkill? As if 135 wasn't bad enough for midget fighting. 145 needs a little more depth as well. Too many guaranteed decisions @ 125/135

lol.gif

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Lackluster event overall. Any one think 125 is overkill? As if 135 wasn't bad enough for midget fighting. 145 needs a little more depth as well.

I am fine with 125, but that is my limit. I don't want to see Super heavys, either. I'd like to see Women's added to UFC and then that would be that. With the majority of UFC champions getting injured, having other champions to parade around is helpful for the promotion.

VoxPop

•Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
•Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
•Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
•Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

•John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
•Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills

•Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa
•Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle <-- I wan Ogle to KO Corassani in the worst way
•Brad Tavares vs. Tom Watson
•DaMarques Johnson vs. Gunnar Nelson
•Robert Peralta vs. Jason Young

I have high hopes on Miocic. Hoping he does what CroCop couldn't come close to doing. Bang and Mills should be fun.

VoxPop

I am fine with 125, but that is my limit. I don't want to see Super heavys, either. I'd like to see Women's added to UFC and then that would be that. With the majority of UFC champions getting injured, having other champions to parade around is helpful for the promotion.

Yeah I don't think super heavies is a great idea. If anything they should just raise the bar to 300lbs. Women's MMA imo will have a place in UFC one day once a few more stars are established. Strikeforce did a very good job with their HW/Women's MMA shtick making you care about fighters who had no business in the cage (big foot, fedor, barnett, rogers, sergei, etc).

The thing with 125 is that 135 is already stale with Cruz at the top. A rematch with Faber and a Barao fight is probably the only thing left in that division in terms of marketability. 145 will also be rather slim after the eventual Korean Zombie, Koch fights and Aldo making his eventual jump to 155. His fight with Edgar should be a scrap though. It's rather ridiculous that they made a whole division just because Benavidez and Mighty Mouse both got clobbered by Cruz.

I really have no opinion on 125. I'm not gung ho on them, but I wont hate at all. I would rather see women or even a cruiser or even a super HW division added than fly. I mean isn't 135 small enough? Whatevs, as long as the fights are good right?

I think Featherweight is filling out though. Way better than Bantam. Aldo, Zombie, Hioki, Koch, Edgar and rumored Clay. Not bad. What is also good about Feather is that they can easily get fighters from 155 and vice versa. The weight discrepancy is very small between the two divisions

Heel

&#8226;Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
&#8226;Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
&#8226;Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
&#8226;Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman

&#8226;John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
&#8226;Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills

&#8226;Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa

Such a great card top to bottom. Dare I say I'm excited for this one? Along with the bolded, don't sleep on Kong Watson's debut and The Mills vs. Bang scrap.

I'm alive, after downing about a year's worth of Naproxen and Ibuprofen this weekend, I think I'm a little better now. Didn't even watch the UFC show, first time I could say that in a while, that's how shitty I felt. No NFL yesterday either.

So where's my avatar Heel? I thought we agreed on an amended 80's band clause last week in chat.

I'll take my moral victory. Jones apparently almost got subbed and hurt his arm, and it took him 3 rounds later to beat the same guy at LHW who Anderson destroyed in one round.

Is this show even worth reviewing? Seems like there is absolutely no post show hype here, didn't even notice the PPV thread when I checked yesterday. UFC in decline apathy, or am the protagonist that keeps this MMA thread rolling?

You do know Fedor had a band in the 80's, right?

Let's ask Shogun about how lacking Bones' striking is. Who cares if he doesn't have pure KO power. Neither does GOAT BJ Penn.

While we're at it, let's ask Machida about the punch that folded him and sent him into a death spiral. Point me to anyone that managed to hit him that hard standing. I dunno how anyone can say his striking is "not that good."

While we're at it, let's ask Machida about the punch that folded him and sent him into a death spiral. Point me to anyone that managed to hit him that hard standing. I dunno how anyone can say his striking is "not that good."

It's the same world where people use a debatable at best round 1 vs. Machida and the fact that he had the balls and the mental toughness to get out of a BJJ black belt's arm bar as negatives towards Bones.

Pimpwerx

Why would Bones move up in weight when he can dominate his current division forever? He doesn't seem to have any problems making weight, and his frame looks too slight to be really effective at HW. PEACE.

DKehoe

Let's ask Shogun about how lacking Bones' striking is. Who cares if he doesn't have pure KO power. Neither does GOAT BJ Penn.

I was kidding about the Jones striking thing. I can't tell if you are about BJ though? Nothing is ever as it seems on MMA GAF

It's the same world where people use a debatable at best round 1 vs. Machida and the fact that he had the balls and the mental toughness to get out of a BJJ black belt's arm bar as negatives towards Bones.

If anything it's a positive, shows Jones can stay composed if things aren't going his way.

VoxPop

Why would Bones move up in weight when he can dominate his current division forever? He doesn't seem to have any problems making weight, and his frame looks too slight to be really effective at HW. PEACE.

He said it himself that he looks to move up in 2013-14.

He's gonna need the Reem style transformation

43016d1298755736-incredible-bulk-overeem-discusses-diet-overeem-timeline.jpg

I can see him taking down most of the lower tier HWs like Big Foot, Mir, Nog, and Cormier. I'm pretty sure he would take out Cain as well. Not too sure about JDS or Reem though.

Rur0ni

Fair enough Heel. But as a whole I don't think his striking is very threatening. Just good enough to keep fighters on the outside until he can work his superior clinch/mount. In his case that's all that's required.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fair enough Heel. But as a whole I don't think his striking is very threatening. Just good enough to keep fighters on the outside until he can work his superior clinch/mount. In his case that's all that's required.
You don't understand, Jon Jones cannot be criticized. At all.

Heel

I would say Bones' striking is very green, but even with that said he's accomplished more than most. It's scary to think that he has a lot of room to improve in virtually every category of MMA. The more comfortable he gets with his tools the more dangerous he'll become.

He should definitely refine his skills before he thinks about going to heavyweight. He'd most likely need to be a smaller heavyweight and use his range and movement, and will need to be very sound technique wise in a world where one mistake can mean game over. I'm not so sure he'll has the luxury of taking the fight to the ground when he wants at HW either.

Such a great card top to bottom. Dare I say I'm excited for this one? Along with the bolded, don't sleep on Kong Watson's debut and The Mills vs. Bang scrap.

Its hard for me to get excited for Kong after watching him at MFC push his body underneath Jesse Taylor's body for 3 rounds when he had multiple chances to stand up and strike. I thought his corner was gonna have a heart attack yelling at him to stand up and break away but he refused to do it for some reason and lost a decision.

Top Bottom