• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Why would Bones move up in weight when he can dominate his current division forever? He doesn't seem to have any problems making weight, and his frame looks too slight to be really effective at HW. PEACE.

Because he cuts a ridiculous amount of weight and won't be able to when he is in his old 20's. Even he said he would have to move up.

Heel

I thought that was exclusive to Pride stars

ADX9T.gif

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Because he cuts a ridiculous amount of weight and won't be able to when he is in his old 20's. Even he said he would have to move up.

I cant see bones fucking with the upper echelons of HW. Everyone North of Murr would club him within an inch of his life.

VoxPop

Where are you getting all these Inoki slap gifs? o_O

Gr1mLock said:
I cant see bones fucking with the upper echelons of HW. Everyone North of Murr would club him within an inch of his life.

But there aren't many HWs above Mir except Werdum, Cain, JDS, Reem.

Jones if bulked up correctly can be a handful for any of them. I can see him beating both Werdum and Cain.

Ninja Scooter said:
Jones whooping ass.gif

Jones pretty much outstruck everybody he fought aside from Machida. Shogun got absolutely annihilated like a little kid losing his lunch money to a bully. He was a soccer kick away from ending his career. While he's good, I don't think Jones should be trying to be flashy like Silva at this point especially against more dangerous fighters. He should wait till he's a lot more finessed standing up before trying things like dropping his hands.

That side kick may have been sloppy but it put Vitor on his ass. The point is that too call Bones' striking "non-threatening" is ridiculous. James Shields striking isn't threatening. Hell GSP's standup isn't threatening (compared to Bones). Jones might not have top level kick boxing or boxing or muay thai, but his striking has been a difference maker in a number of his fights, and has won him fights.

Jones matches up terrible against the HW's. Guys like Mir and Nog would be nightmares for him. If Vitor can cause nerve damage to Bones arm than Mir, Nog and Werdum would damn near amputate his arm. Bones would never be able to pick Mir or Nog up like he did Vitor to break the hold.

On Jones striking. I think it's serviceable and not really bad, he can justify doing flashy shit cuz of his reach. I don't really think its threatening unless you eat a flying knee. His reflexes compared to Anderson really set Anderson apart. It's unbelievable on how fast Anderson can see a punch coming. Vitor was hitting Jones with kicks that would never hit Silva.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jones striking is mediocre at best. Quit listening to Joe Rogan.

I thought that was exclusive to Pride stars

Thought wrong. Half the posts in this thread are people trolling Pride stars while the rest of us fake laugh at their jokes.

Bones has mediocre striking from a technique perspective. He makes great use of his range and I think he does have power but he isn't maximizing it right now. And I think we should amend it to say that he can knock a guy out with volume but he doesn't have one shot KO power. If he developed his technique I think that would change.

Bones has mediocre striking from a technique perspective. He makes great use of his range and I think he does have power but he isn't maximizing it right now. And I think we should amend it to say that he can knock a guy out with volume but he doesn't have one shot KO power. If he developed his technique I think that would change.

The question was whether or not his striking is "threatening". To say it isn't is absurd. He can beat you with his strikes and can devastate opponents. It absolutely is a weapon. Good striking is not just one punch KO power. Some of the reaching people like Natch an HostSam do to discredit him is silly. You guys have a longer reach than Johnny.

TheNatural

My Member!
The question was whether or not his striking is "threatening". To say it isn't is absurd. He can beat you with his strikes and can devastate opponents. It absolutely is a weapon. Good striking is not just one punch KO power. Some of the reaching people like Natch an HostSam do to discredit him is silly. You guys have a longer reach than Johnny.

I'm not discrediting him, I'm saying Silva is better. And I'm questioning him ever reaching his potential under Mr Shit Gameplan Jackson.

I'm not discrediting him, I'm saying Silva is better. And I'm questioning him ever reaching his potential under Mr Shit Gameplan Jackson.

I don't think anyone ever argued that he wasn't.

Also Anderson/Bones won't happen because Anderson friended Jon on Facebook or some shit. Candy wants nothing to do with a Bones fight.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't think anyone ever argued that he wasn't.

Also Anderson/Bones won't happen because Anderson friended Jon on Facebook or some shit. Candy wants nothing to do with a Bones fight.

If Bones moves down I'm sure Anderson would take him on. GSP is a bigger fight anyway, why should Silva or UFC settle for the lesser superfight?

Not a fan of the GSP/Silva fight. The Jones fight just clicks. Hate to say it but Silva wants no part of Jones, which most people will even say that Silva would be the favorite.

And no. I am not discrediting Jones at all. The dude is a beast, I just don't think his striking is all that good. The reason why he outs trikes his opponents is because they fear to get on the inside because of the threat of the take down. He ran away from Rampage, wanted no part of Machida or Vitor when they began engaging. Silva would clown him on the feet. Silvia's only threat in that fight is to avoid the hell bows.

TheNatural

My Member!
Not a fan of the GSP/Silva fight. The Jones fight just clicks. Hate to say it but Silva wants no part of Jones, which most people will even say that Silva would be the favorite.

And no. I am not discrediting Jones at all. The dude is a beast, I just don't think his striking is all that good. The reason why he outs trikes his opponents is because they fear to get on the inside because of the threat of the take down. He ran away from Rampage, wanted no part of Machida or Vitor when they began engaging. Silva would clown him on the feet. Silvia's only threat in that fight is to avoid the hell bows.

Jones probably didn't draw shit this last fight based on the muted general response, and Silva and GSP have entire countries backing them in Brazil and Canada. It would be the biggest fight in UFC history, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to see it. Any time two guys dominate adjacent division for years and years, it should be a priority to get them to fight in any sport.

So Silva would drop to 170 and win a lighter weight class belt? It's always more exciting when a fighter moves up, not down. Silva already fought at 205 and can move up to take the title from the heavier Class like a boss.

TheNatural

My Member!
So Silva would drop to 170 and win a lighter weight class belt? It's always more exciting when a fighter moves up, not down. Silva already fought at 205 and can move up to take the title from the heavier Class like a boss.

It would be a catchweight fight, so GSP would be moving up as well. What the hell do titles matter anyway, I don't give a shit about that, I just want to see the two headliners of this sport for the past half decade plus fight each other. It would be the Mayweather-Pacquaio of MMA. Hell do a trilogy, one in Canada, one in Brazil, and one in the States somewhere.

It would be a catchweight fight, so GSP would be moving up as well. What the hell do titles matter anyway, I don't give a shit about that, I just want to see the two headliners of this sport for the past half decade plus fight each other. It would be the Mayweather-Pacquaio of MMA. Hell do a trilogy, one in Canada, one in Brazil, and one in the States somewhere.

Why would you need a trilogy? For GSP to lose 3 times in a row?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Why would Bones move up in weight when he can dominate his current division forever? He doesn't seem to have any problems making weight, and his frame looks too slight to be really effective at HW. PEACE.

Lack of challenge? Potential to to be a two-division champion? Metabolic changes in his body making it harder/riskier to cut weight?

I can see him jumping to HW in 2014. By that time he should have about 8-10 title defences and no records left to break in the LHW division nor any new challengers either.

TheNatural

My Member!
Cormier already said he would move down to face Jones, I think he could do it and it would be a good fight.

Whether or not you wish Jones and Silva would be forced to fight, the seed has already been planted of "respect" of the other's skills and at best it would turn out with as much action as the hesitant Jones vs. Rashad fight where neither guy wanted to take risks or get hurt by the other. Jones vs. Silva would likely be a boring stalemate.

Jones vs. Cormier and Silva vs. GSP is where it's at. Fuck it, put it on the same card in a dome. Break records.

TheNatural

My Member!
Not going to fight you to honor a bet to use an avatar on an internet board, Snatch. Fedor played bass for the Stary Oskol Allstars in '86 and you fucking know it.

I don't really give a shit, pick whatever you want. I'm turning avatars off anyway, so it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's not some underage girl Chamber or dream jerk off to.

industrian

Cormier already said he would move down to face Jones, I think he could do it and it would be a good fight.

I agree 100% with DC's Ultimate Fighter idea (in regards to both Jones and himself being coaches, and giving DC enough time to cut weight healthily.) That and the screentime would help put Cormier over as well.

TheNatural

My Member!
I agree 100% with DC's Ultimate Fighter idea (in regards to both Jones and himself being coaches, and giving DC enough time to cut weight healthily.) That and the screentime would help put Cormier over as well.

But first he must go put Arlovski or whoever in a home with his last Strikeforce fight. And when I say home, I mean funeral home.

industrian

But first he must go put Arlovski or whoever in a home with his last Strikeforce fight. And when I say home, I mean funeral home.

I really want to see DC vs. Werdum. It would set up either fighter as No. 1 Contender.

The problem for DC being if he beats Werdum and Cain (somehow) manages to beat JDS of course.

Top Bottom