• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

full_rampage_gangnam_medium.gif

The question was whether or not his striking is "threatening". To say it isn't is absurd. He can beat you with his strikes and can devastate opponents. It absolutely is a weapon. Good striking is not just one punch KO power. Some of the reaching people like Natch an HostSam do to discredit him is silly. You guys have a longer reach than Johnny.
I didn't say it wasn't threatening. I amending something I said earlier to make the distinction that not having "one punch" KO power is not the same as not having KO power at all. Even then, I think he would have one punch KOs if he sharpened his technique because he sure as hell hurts guys and he doesn't really land cleanly all that often.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Tell Reem to stop shooting up and maybe one day we will.
I think Overreem is quite reliant on his Masters of the Universe physique as a method of intimidation and I'm not sure if people would quit so easily in the guillotine if he was just another Dutch beanpole and they weren't afraid of him ripping their head off.

More like Pancrazy!

Hah I would've never taken you for an Anticon fan, Tim. Not my cup of tea but I do enjoy me some Sage Francis. Jel is pretty good on his own, too. This is crazy talented.

Yes sir. Been a fan of Doseone, Deep Puddle Dynamics, Dan the Automator, Deltron, Hieroglyphics, Kid Koala, Jeru the Damaga, Sage Francis, Aesop, etc since the late 90s / early 2000s.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's going to take me a while to get used to this "Vergeified" MMAFighting.com redesign. It looks atrocious. Bloody Elbow and I assume all Vox/SB Nation sites have been vergified too.

Whatever happened to simple web design layouts?

industrian

Andrei Arlovski vs. Devin Cole at World Series of Fighting 1.

Fight card so far:

Andrei Arlovski vs. Devin Cole
Miguel Torres vs. ?
Gregor Gracie vs. Tyson Steele
Josh Burkman vs. Gerald Harris
Brian Cobb vs. Ronys Torres
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. John Gunderson
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

Looks like we've got a solid contender for No. 1 Bad MMA promotion.

VoxPop

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

All that can crushing. Throw in a few undersized asian fighters and we got a Pride card. Hope Torres can bounce back

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

two gracies on the card? yup definitely #1 Bad MMA candidate.

Whatever happened to simple web design layouts?

My thoughts on Facebook, digg, and minus.com. I feel like those got sites got popular because they were clean and very basic. Now they're all garbled to hell.

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

Wow its like a whos who of UFC/SF cast offs. Looking forward to the first event.

industrian

That's Star Movies (yes, the movie channel not the sports channel) showing a repeat of UFC 152 right now. I was changing channels and boom: straight to Hipster Rory. I can't remember what fight is next, but there's no way I'm forcing myself to sit through seeing Demmy & Joey dance through another half an hour.

TheNatural

My Member!

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

Damn I was hoping for Arlovski vs. Sylvia V.

industrian - Are you saying Starz Movie Channel? Or is Star something different? If Starz is gonna start showing PPVs 3 days after they air I'm gonna have to subscribe.

VoxPop

That's Star Movies (yes, the movie channel not the sports channel) showing a repeat of UFC 152 right now. I was changing channels and boom: straight to Hipster Rory. I can't remember what fight is next, but there's no way I'm forcing myself to sit through seeing Demmy & Joey dance through another half an hour.

I really wish they would create a pure MMA channel. Or at least a UFC one. FuelTV doesn't even have a HD channel on Time Warner Cable. And I hate thinking I could catch an episode of UFC Tonight only to be bombarded with Strangers In Danger.

industrian

My thoughts on Facebook, digg, and minus.com. I feel like those got sites got popular because they were clean and very basic. Now they're all garbled to hell.

Well, to its credit, Facebook has retained its usability even with its vast UI changes over time and has never looked messy (as far as my experience goes.) But over the last few years I've seen some major missteps in web design - the BBC Sport page in all its yellow glory springing instantly to mind.

As a web designer & developer myself I take a lot of this to heart. It's ok to make redesigns every now and then to keep things fresh - even if there are complaints (I remember GAF's most recent one and the backlash to that) - but fundamental principles should always been kept in mind: usability, the fold area, alignments, clean layouts, etc.

industrian - Are you saying Starz Movie Channel? Or is Star something different? If Starz is gonna start showing PPVs 3 days after they air I'm gonna have to subscribe.

Star Movies and Star Sports are (to my knowledge) part of FOX International. They're part of a pan-Asian network.

Star Movies has shown the last three UFC PPVs 12 hours after initial broadcast. In the future if a UFC event doesn't appeal to me I'll just watch it then and not post in the MMA thread all day (as I did with Henderson vs. Edgar 2.) The only drawback is having to tolerate a dubbed-over Chinese commentary track with Goldie & Rogan still slightly audible in the background.

SteveWD40

Some picks for Saturdays awesome scrapper card:

Struve def Miocic TKO (guess, don't know the latter that well)
Hardy def Sadollah UD or maybe a TKO
Hathaway def Maguire UD (sadface either way)
Pickett def Jabouin UD
Sass def Wiman Sub (wishful thinking maybe)
Ludwig def Mills UD

Prelims are a bit of a toss up, too many debuts to even guess. Brits over all have pretty favourable match-ups before I get accused of going all Gareth A Davies on picks, I imagine Hardy could lose just as easily and Sass has to have improved a fair amount.

SteveWD40

It's Numbnuts ;)

Hardy is a bit underrated I think, his losses were to some of the best and by the time he fought Lytle he was a mess. Training in the US full time won't have hurt either.

Besides, he has MMA-Math on his side ;)

industrian

I see Miocic knocking out Struve in the first round. But if it goes past the first round then I see Struve winning by sub.

I'm gunning for Miocic to win as he's in a good place to be considered the "next big thing" of the HW division. He seems to have the talent, confidence and physical attributes to do well. If he wins I can see him getting paired up with a top 10 contender to further test him.

gaff pls

Miocic just needs to throw a couple straight punches and Stefan Struve is KTFO'd.

Also, Che Mills is going to beat Duane Ludwig. Mills just lost to a fighter who is very well rounded and has some good grappling skills. Ludwig is a striker which is right up Che's alley, plus Bang is coming off a bad KO loss and will most likely be pretty gun-shy going into this fight as a result. Ludwig 2nd Round TKO.

Hardy will take a decision over Amir because Amir sucks more than Hardy does.

I think John Hathaway will eke out a decision against Maguire but it'll be a close fight.

Paul Sass will submit Watt Miman.

All in all I'm hyped for this Nottingham card, it's quite stacked for a free Fuel event. I'm also glad that I have DirecTV so that I actually get Fuel and can watch in HD.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Star Movies and Star Sports are (to my knowledge) part of FOX International. They're part of a pan-Asian network.
STAR (acronym for Satellite Television Asian Region) is owned by News Corporation. Its one of the few networks I am willing to watch over there, along with CTi.

You were probably on "vacation" during UFC 146, so I just assume you'd have said this back then.
I actually was on vacation during UFC 146, the location was Vegas and more specifically, the MGM Grand Garden Arena. But Frank Mir thought we were in Mandalay for some bizarre reason.

Lavar Johnson is a one dimensional brawler with absolutely no ground game and no gas tank. I mean for fuck's sake he got armbar'd by Shane del Rosario. Stipe Miocic on the other hand is a Golden Gloves champ plus a D1 wrestler to boot. Unlike the last few people Struve has fought, Miocic has some grappling skill which should be enough to avoid the sub. Struve has a horrible chin and should get KO'd with a few well-placed punches which Miocic is more than capable of landing.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why anyone would think Sadollah will win. He is awful and only won his last fight due to being the hometown hero. I see Hardy winning via UD or vicious KO like his last win.

industrian

Lavar Johnson is a one dimensional brawler with absolutely no ground game and no gas tank. I mean for fuck's sake he got armbar'd by Shane del Rosario. Stipe Miocic on the other hand is a Golden Gloves champ plus a D1 wrestler to boot. Unlike the last few people Struve has fought, Miocic has some grappling skill which should be enough to avoid the sub. Struve has a horrible chin and should get KO'd with a few well-placed punches which Miocic is more than capable of landing.

For the record I agree with everything here and believe that Miocic will KO Struve. But I never rule out Struve's submission skills. The longer the fight goes on, the higher the chance of Struve winning.

Heel

Yes sir. Been a fan of Doseone, Deep Puddle Dynamics, Dan the Automator, Deltron, Hieroglyphics, Kid Koala, Jeru the Damaga, Sage Francis, Aesop, etc since the late 90s / early 2000s.

Nice. I got started listening to underground around the same time with Rawkus stuff. Pharoahe Monche, Black Star, Reflection Eternal etc. I was big into Hiero at one point but I think I like their 90's solo stuff more these days.

Casual - Later On
Souls of Mischief - Tow-Away Zone

Though I don't really listen to Hip Hop much anymore. More into soul, funk etc.

Heel

Some picks for Saturdays awesome scrapper card:

Struve def Miocic TKO (guess, don't know the latter that well)
Hardy def Sadollah UD or maybe a TKO
Hathaway def Maguire UD (sadface either way)
Pickett def Jabouin UD
Sass def Wiman Sub (wishful thinking maybe)
Ludwig def Mills UD

Prelims are a bit of a toss up, too many debuts to even guess. Brits over all have pretty favourable match-ups before I get accused of going all Gareth A Davies on picks, I imagine Hardy could lose just as easily and Sass has to have improved a fair amount.

You're on notice!

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

Baddest card on the planet.

Bad™ meaning Good not Bad meaning Bad

most entertaining thing to happen would be if Gunderson beat JZ, Burkman beats Harris, Torres gets KO'd and Devin Cole just completely violates Arlovski.

ugh

fucking conduit

So I think we should start a new game called "Guess The Real Main Event".

When a card becomes official like the Fox 5 card just did, say what you think the real main event will end up being and why..

Here's the currently announced card for UFC on Fox 5 on December 8th in Seattle:

MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
Champ Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz (for lightweight title)
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn
Matt Brown vs. Mike Swick

PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV, 5 p.m. ET)
Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub
Dennis Siver vs. Ediie Yagin
Mike Chiesa vs. Rafaello Oliveira
John Albert vs. Scott Jorgensen
Ramsey Nijem vs. Joe Proctor
Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez
Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo

I think it'll end up being UFC on Fox 5: Siver vs. Yagin.

Hardy is a bit underrated I think, his losses were to some of the best and by the time he fought Lytle he was a mess. Training in the US full time won't have hurt either.

Besides, he has MMA-Math on his side ;)

I don't see why anyone would think Sadollah will win. He is awful and only won his last fight due to being the hometown hero. I see Hardy winning via UD or vicious KO like his last win.

I wish we could meet up in person to make a $ bet. Sadollah has this.

I think it'll end up being UFC on Fox 5: Siver vs. Yagin.

Nothing wrong with that. That's gonna be a great fight.

Fight card so far:

Miguel Torres vs. ?
Bobby Lashley vs. ?
Rolles Gracie vs. ?
James McSweeney vs. ?

More cans than a recycling bin

VoxPop

So I actually watched Silva/Chonan for the first time today. How the hell do people including Bas and Mauro assume Chonan was winning this fight before the heel hook? He got outstruck badly and did nothing on the ground.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Champ Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz by 209 style brawlin'
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua by peace treaty (Its going to be a war)
Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn by whatever he wants

Best card of the year.

I had no problem with how Condit won the Diaz fight, actually was a big fan but not fighting since is some straight BS. Plenty of dudes that should have their opportunity.

Top Bottom