• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yZGo5.png

Living in the TUF house has to be one of Dante's circles of hell. I would snap if people fucked with my bed or if a guy with a pink mohawk and bedazzled sunglasses got in my face.

And a suggestion for a better TUF season: Get fighters who don't have kids so we don't have to hear about it every second.

FACE

Banned
Living in the TUF house has to be one of Dante's circles of hell. I would snap if people fucked with my bed or if a guy with a pink mohawk and bedazzled sunglasses got in my face.

And a suggestion for a better TUF season: Get fighters who don't have kids so we don't have to hear about it every second.

I feel sorry for their kids.

Heel

The crawling, bleeding-out wrecked carcass of ProElite probably.

Pretty curious about who it could actually be. The value in an acquisition is the contracts, and ProElite has none as far as I can tell. All of their fighters have moved on to other promotions.

There's really not a whole lot out there worth buying that would actually be for sale. Legacy, MFC, CFA? I guess...?

In any case, this is good news to me. RFA needed a broadcast deal and they put on way better shows than Titan.

Mo Smith comin'.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Pretty curious about who it could actually be. The value in an acquisition is the contracts, and ProElite has none as far as I can tell. All of their fighters have moved on to other promotions.

There's really not a whole lot out there worth buying that would actually be for sale. Legacy, MFC, CFA? I guess...?

In any case, this is good news to me. RFA needed a broadcast deal and they put on way better shows than Titan.

Mo Smith comin'.

Mark Ellis brah. Not even Martinez could derail that hype train.

In all truthiness: I didn't even know that RFA had the sort of clout to buy another MMA organisation. The only thing I really know about RFA really are their hilarious posters.

Right now they're showing the Countdown to UFC E-Oh-San on TV. Are Americans really that "closed off" culturally they need to give Glover Teixeira subtitles?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Right now they're showing the Countdown to UFC E-Oh-San on TV. Are Americans really that "closed off" culturally they need to give Glover Teixeira subtitles?
Brother, we'd put subtitles on you, too. Maybe if you were an Edinburgite, they might not, but a Glasweigan or Dundee? Ain't no fookin way.

For comparison, they subtitled Ross Pearson and Ross Pointon, but not Michael Bisping. Even though Bisping is a Yorkshireman, he had enough Received Pronunciation he could pull a Patrick Stewart and be intelligible to those of us in the US who are unintelligible ourselves (i.e. Southerners and Bostonians)

And since I'm in the mood:

Robert Burns said:
Is there for honesty poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave - we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that,
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an' a' that?
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine,
A man's a man for a' that.
Their tinsel show, an' a' that,
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

Ye see yon birkie ca'd a lord,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a coof for a' that.
His ribband, star, an' a' that,
The man o' independent mind
He looks an' laughs at a' that.

A price can mak a belted knight,
A marquise, duke, an' a' that;
But an honest man's aboon his might,
Gude faith, he maunna fa' that!
Their dignities an' a' that,
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
That man to man, the world o'er,
Shall brithers be for a' that.

industrian

Brother, we'd put subtitles on you, too. Maybe if you were an Edinburgite, they might not, but a Glasweigan or Dundee? Ain't no fookin way.

I'm a Glaswegian who was raised in the Borders. Or as I rather so eloquently put it to OuterWorldVoice: I'll stab you, but can then talk my way out of it when the police arrive.

For comparison, they subtitled Ross Pearson and Ross Pointon, but not Michael Bisping. Even though Bisping is a Yorkshireman, he had enough Received Pronunciation he could pull a Patrick Stewart and be intelligible to those of us in the US who are unintelligible ourselves (i.e. Southerners and Bostonians)

I've developed an incredibly neutral sounding accent with being in Asia so long. My natural voice becomes more prominent when speaking to other British folk, and then goes full-on Glaswegian/Borderer when another Scot enters the fray (which in two years in Taiwan has - sadly - only happened twice.) Then again I can do RP pretty well and have a convincing-enough American accent I use from time to time.

The most important thing for a Scot to remember when talking to non-Scots is to slow down. Punctuation is purely optional north of Gretna.

And since I'm in the mood:

Doesn't count, bro. Burns wrote in Lallans, not English. :p

Funny story: In 2006 I journeyed outside of the UK for the first time as an adult, and went to the Netherlands to see a couple of metal bands play live. At one of the festivals I met a French guy and got talking to him, but neither of us could understand what each other was saying - and we were both speaking English. It was after that where I focused on developing a more neutral accent so aw yoose cuid unnerstand ee's.

Heel

Apparently I missed a good Bellator. Gonna check that and Invicta 3.

Should I watch any SFL4 fights? Kinda soured on their schtick.

Yeah, it's looking like SFL gave up the Bad MMA ghost. I don't think they're going to have guys like Duffee, Monson, Thompson etc. anymore. :(

But Martinez did. And you know how? By standing in the center of the ring and not moving an inch.

Watch AKA's Fight Factory series. Ryan actually broke his MMA spirit in that fight. Dude was crying backstage and questioning his career. I'm pretty sure he retired. Captivating television.

industrian

Watch AKA's Fight Factory series. Ryan actually broke his MMA spirit in that fight. Dude was crying backstage and questioning his career. I'm pretty sure he retired. Captivating television.

After only his second fight too. From the way they built him up at the first ProElite I figure they had big plans for him.

I've still not seen his fight with Martinez - I'll watch it now before going to sleep.

Yeah, it's looking like SFL gave up the Bad MMA ghost. I don't think they're going to have guys like Duffee, Monson, Thompson etc. anymore. :(
Watched the first 3 on their YT site while waiting for Bellator and these are beatdowns. Mediocre mma fighters against kids who probably literally just started training this year.

The Chuhan fight has a nice slam though, reminiscent of WEC.

I've still not seen his fight with Martinez - I'll watch it now before going to sleep.
You gonna wake up for some BadUFC later?

Heel

After only his second fight too. From the way they built him up at the first ProElite I figure they had big plans for him.

He was definitely the guy expected to win that tournament. Watch the Fight Factory pilot to see how it all went down.

You can watch the whole series on there. It's good stuff.

industrian

I try to be nice, and this is the thanks I get. Fine, get back over, Pict.

hadrians_wall_region.jpg

Doesn't count Bro.

The Pictavians were natives of the north of Scotland. My ancestors were lowlanders. So a closer term would be probably a Gododdin (but my clan forebearers were straight-up Northumbrians.)

History class dismissed.

industrian

You gonna wake up for some BadUFC later?

I've set my alarm clock for 10am (10pm EST). Hopefully I wake up in time. If not, then I'll just be offline all day and watch it 12 hours later on Taiwanese TV.

He was definitely the guy expected to win that tournament. Watch the Fight Factory pilot to see how it all went down.

You can watch the whole series on there. It's good stuff.

Mak wasn't lying when he said Martinez just stood in the middle. If it weren't for Ellis shooting for takedowns, I don't think he would have left the middle circle. And those takedowns were instantly stuffed and even made Ellis' much-vaunted wrestling look distinctively amateurish too. Ellis was perfectly exposed: his only skillset didn't work and he was too scared of the KO to push the fight standing. The "take a punch, who cares?" comment from his corner summed it up perfectly.

I'll watch the Fight Factory videos tomorrow after UFC 153.

Just watched that. "I come out here and lose to some guy who was in prison while I was winning a national title!"

Dude ain't about that life the way Ryan "So Ruff So Tuff" Martinez is;

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I enjoy quality animation. My most recent girlfriend thought it was a less weird hobby than MMA.

There's nothing shameful about Young Justice, Clone Wars, and Avengers. It's good shit.

industrian

After 20 minutes of not being able to sleep I've decided on an all-nighter. I hope my girlfriend doesn't get angry when I inevitably pass out at 4pm.

industrian

Just watched that. "I come out here and lose to some guy who was in prison while I was winning a national title!"

Dude ain't about that life the way Ryan "So Ruff So Tuff" Martinez is;

The introduction with Cain Velasquez is quite funny in retrospect too. Hell, most of it is hilarious in retrospect in regards to Ellis and Cain.

So you guys remember suggesting the Big Nog fight was a work? Well guess who got the sub of the night bonus? Clue: Not Damian Maia for that gnarly rear naked that made blood gush out of Story's face and not Phil Davis' for the gator roll into an anaconda.

Other bonuses

FOTN = Story vs Fitch. Can you believe that? Fitch was involved with a FOTN. Good on him I say. He looked damn impressive and didn't just lnp for once.
KO = Rony Jason

industrian

Fitch reinvented himself pretty well. He was constantly looking for the finish. Erick Silva was no slouch either, and that loss takes nothing away from him in my eyes.

Top Bottom