• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fitch didn't reinvent anything. Silver came out like Fitch was just some punk and got punished for it. Most guys who fight Jon actually realize you can't fight like that at the upper level.

Agree with Cucumber. Erick fought like Fitch was a punk. If he had fought smarter it probably would have been a typical Fitching.

Was a great fight though and I hope this is a new Fitch. Also hope Erick continues to be as fun even though this fight should teach him to fight safer.

I don't see how that's a bad thing or fighting smarter. As Dana White (a guy who has shown open disdain for Fitch's style) astutely put it, Fitch's fights are usually the way it is because a lot of people aren't able to stop his takedowns and overall pressure and that the fight was as good as it was due to Silva being able to do a lot to Fitch and even put him in danger. Though part of it was also Fitch being even more aggressive than he usually is.

Not shutting down the minute the fight starts (only to complain about wrestlers post-fight) isn't fighting like a punk. There was a skill gap, but look at Prado who barely threw strikes even on the feet and it was clear he wasn't going to get anywhere fighting like that.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is on TV now. I've not seen this movie since I was a kid. I forgot how good an actor Junior Dos Santos is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't see how that's a bad thing or fighting smarter. As Dana White (a guy who has shown open disdain for Fitch's style) astutely put it, Fitch's fights are usually the way it is because a lot of people aren't able to stop his takedowns and overall pressure and that the fight was as good as it was due to Silva being able to do a lot to Fitch and even put him in danger. Though part of it was also Fitch being even more aggressive than he usually is.

Not shutting down the minute the fight starts (only to complain about wrestlers post-fight) isn't fighting like a punk. There was a skill gap, but look at Prado who barely threw strikes even on the feet and it was clear he wasn't going to get anywhere fighting like that.

Erick Silver has said in the past that he fights to his own strengths with no regard for what his opponent does well. That works when you're super talented and fighting Charlie Brenneman but you have to gameplan well when you hit the upper level of a division.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Thank you for the endorsement brother, but GAF can't handle a Ninja Scooter modship. I'll clean this place up like Harvey Dent. First order of business would be permabanning everyone who posted pictures of themselves wearing fedoras in that "Nerds and fedoras" thread.

You should add bronies to that list.

Heel

Replay: K-1 RISING 2012 WORLD GP FINAL 16

K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16

Raul Cati­nas (Roma­nia) vs. Ben Edwards (Australia)
Makoto Uehara (Japan) vs. Hiromi Amada (Japan)
Xavier Vigney (USA) vs. Zabit Same­dov (Azerbaijan)
Hesdy Gerges (Egypt) vs. Sergii Laschenko (Ukraine)
Singh Jaideep (India) vs. Ismael Londt (Surinam)
Jar­rell Miller (USA) vs. Arnold Oboro­tov (Lithuania)
Paul Slowin­ski (Poland) vs. Catalin Morosanu (Romania)
Mirko Flipovic (Croa­tia) vs. Randy Blake (USA)

Super Fights

Genji Umeno (Japan) vs. Chan­hyung Lee (Korea)
Jafar Ahmadi (Iran) vs. Ben­jamin Adeg­buyl (Nigeria)
Saulo Cav­alari (Brazil) vs. Pavel Zuravliov (Russia)
Rick Rou­fus (USA) vs. James Wil­son (USA)

Wait, there was a K-1 show?

Why isn't Spike streaming their shows for free like they do Bellator to at least get a small viewership before they actually get on Spike?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I recognise maybe half a dozen names from that K-1 card. Are they relying on the promise of stand up fighting real knockouts being enough to draw an audience or hoping people tune in for the ghost of Filopovic? I mean, isn't kickboxing/thai rules basically dead as far as mainstream recognition goes in most western countries? Australia has an ok scene, probably due mostly to proximity to Thailand, but an alarming number of people in a reputable drinking establishment will see someone throw a kick during a UFC PPV and say "ah, so it's kickboxing."

I'm beginning to think that there's something about the way the bouts themselves play out that hamstrings its appeal when compared to mma or boxing. Maybe a bigger ring would help.

Nog is toast. UFC needs to just feed him scrubs to send him on a good will farewell tour to give his fans something to cheer about. Mir is probably toast too, but he's more credible as a gate keeper. Give him some young fighters like Browne to see what they are made of.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Big Nog is still a top 10 in 2012. Does anybody else think it makes sense for Mir/Nog 3?

i1nrHBrEdJhu4.gif

I just want to see Mir vs Nog till Nog wins. Nog is not done yet. He's far from what he was, but only lost 3 fights in the UFC and he had Mir beat in the last fight. Mir 1 and Cain were his only bad loses. He can beat the Kongos and Nelson's of the division.

Yeah I'm down with Nog vs Barnett 3. It makes sense too.

industrian

Fitch didn't reinvent anything. Silver came out like Fitch was just some punk and got punished for it. Most guys who fight Jon actually realize you can't fight like that at the upper level.

Reinvention or not, if Fitch can deliver the goods like then maybe - just maybe - GSP can too.

Heel

It really looked like Nog lost a step after being on the shelf. Maybe it was the shape he was in, but I'm thinking he's just shot at this point. His hand speed is out the window. Thankfully he was fighting a human statue.

I guess let him fight Rothwell? Decent fight.

VoxPop

A little late but overall an entertaining card. Silva did a much classier job on a much more game Bonnar than Bones ever could.

knockouts_Anderson_Silva_Knees_Stephan_Bonnar_UFC_153.gif

All hail the spider.

Nog submitting that turd was also great. Nog vs loser of Carwin/Nelson should be good. Also Glover vs Rampage should happen asap.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
You know, it wasn't until that GIF that I noticed that Silva set it up with that sweep. That was pretty slick.

Dave Herman is one of the two worst fighters in the UFC (other being The Hippo). So Nog beating him didn't really prove much of anything imo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You know, it wasn't until that GIF that I noticed that Silva set it up with that sweep. That was pretty slick.

Yea ive been wondering why sweeps aren't utilized in mma more for years. That short uppercut really fucked bonnar up too, he wasnt covering up to defend, he was clutching a wound.

industrian

Sure, just tell Condit to go at GSP like a fuckin idiot.

I wouldn't call Erick an idiot. He was constantly trying to attack and finish, but Fitch's experience shone through and Erick ran himself dry. Erick's young and will learn from this and I see a good future for him in the UFC.

I hope Condit goes for the KO against GSP in an attempt to redeem himself from his Running Man + Mr. Money In The Bank baggage. But we're more likely going to see GSP attempt to jab Condit whilst he just runs around in a circle. And since the judges don't want to be responsible for causing a riot: GSP will win by split decision, apologise, and then continue ducking Anderson.

Dave Herman is one of the two worst fighters in the UFC (other being The Hippo). So Nog beating him didn't really prove much of anything imo.

Well it proved that hes not gonna lose to complete scrubs at this point in his career like Cro Cop has been. Until Nog starts loosing to the Schaubs of the division than I say give him top guys. Barnett 3 and Werdum 2 are fights that can be good for him. Maybe even Struve. But I bet they give him somebody like Duffe.

ShaneB

Yea ive been wondering why sweeps aren't utilized in mma more for years. That short uppercut really fucked bonnar up too, he wasnt covering up to defend, he was clutching a wound.

If I remember right Erick Silva used a pretty neat sweep on fight, basically just kicked his feet or something, I'm sure I remember it coming out of nowhere and then Rogan or something claiming there was a sweep.

industrian

It really looked like Nog lost a step after being on the shelf. Maybe it was the shape he was in, but I'm thinking he's just shot at this point. His hand speed is out the window. Thankfully he was fighting a human statue.

I guess let him fight Rothwell? Decent fight.

I only see Nog fighting in Brazil until he retires from now on. So I'm guessing he'll be fed cans and/or guys that Dana wants cut. The next card will probably be Nog vs. Morecraft.

Top Bottom