• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

SteveWD40

I like Sonnen but Dana is on some WWE shiet right here.

Yeah, but they are trying to save TUF, the one thing that "made" the UFC back in the day and I doubt they want to let it die. They needed to give casual fans a reason to watch and they love them some Sonnen. It's ridiculous yes, but Dana gives not one fuck at this point, they are in panic mode as they expected to be doing much better than they are right now but they seem to have stagnated while chasing the developing world dollar.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
6796322641_42f5050361_b.jpg

Too much?

Before you answer look up "Rosee Divine shows you how to take a bath" on youtube...... NSFW.

DKehoe

If Jones is doing TUF, then Dana isn't serious about trying to make the Silva fight? Can't they at least give us more than 3 days to forget what he said?

I think the Silva/GSP fight would get more PPV buys and is the more likely of the two to actually happen.

Sonnen/Jones TUF should be entertaining. People who are complaining about it are fools.

thefro

Sonnen/Jones TUF should be entertaining. People who are complaining about it are fools.

I don't have a problem with Sonnen & Jones as TUF coaches, but giving Sonnen a title shot at LHW immediately is pretty goofy when Henderson should be healthy in theory by then.

The most interesting thing about the Jones/Sonnen TUF announcement is the announcement itself. TUF is still going to be TUF, Sonnen will still be Sonnen. Jones might be kinda interesting, maybe. Only because he's young and still growing as a person.

But the TUF format stopped being entertaining for me a long time ago. It served needs once, to get casuals into the UFC and to find young talent. It doesn't seem to be doing either of those things anymore. It needs to find a purpose again.

I guess there's a small niche audience that likes reality tv and MMA, but I know literally no one who watches it. On here there's Mak and maybe a couple others, but no one really talks about it.

That said, ya, I'll watch the first episode, but I would anyway since they changed to the qualification format. See, a change like that is great. I'd watch it if it had a higher concentration of fighting and training.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I guess there's a small niche audience that likes reality tv and MMA, but I know literally no one who watches it. On here there's Mak and maybe a couple others, but no one really talks about it.
No one talks about it because it's a shameful, debasing experience, not unlike getting a male Brazilian wax.

SteveWD40

Yeah I was pretty sure that they were good friends. This whole situation seems really dumb

I know Sonnen talked about being his friend on Rogan's podcast, also said he was the one guy he wouldn't fight, seems odd for Hendo to call him out on this, but then I guess he is actually calling out Dana / the UFC. Can't fault Sonnen for taking the shot / payday.

I also think Hendo needs a warm up fight pre Jones, he hasn't fought in nearly a year...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

And please, if you're going to be one of those people who claims any fight that puts butts in seats and adds pay-per-view buys to cable bills is, by virtue of that accomplishment alone, a good idea, then you'd better be ready to carry that viewpoint to its logical conclusion. You'd better be all for the New Year's Eve in Tokyo freak-show approach that gives Bob Sapp a paycheck just for falling down on the same fight card that includes dudes in masks fighting juiced-up science experiments. You'd better be willing to apply the same logic to anything that the masses will pay for – pro wrestling, Katy Perry concerts, ventriloquist acts – and conclude that sheer financial viability is the only measure of quality that counts.
0058_eaqab.gif

I don't understand the Sonnen/Jones matchup. I'd rather wait for Jones/Hendo, to me if Jones beats Hendo he achieves superfight status, waiting for an inevitable Silva matchup.

I mean Jones creates more problems for Chael than Silva did. He's got better take down defense and is just as dangerous in terms of striking. It's a bad fight.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I predict Chael gets hurt 2 weeks out from fightnight. Hendo will volunteers to sub in ..Jones will then reject the fight claiming not enough time to properly prep for Hendo.

He is willing to fight Wandy if Wandy moves up to 205 and the Circle will be complete.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I predict Chael gets hurt 2 weeks out from fightnight. Hendo will volunteers to sub in ..Jones will then reject the fight claiming not enough time to properly prep for Hendo.

He is willing to fight Wandy if Wandy moves up to 205 and the Circle will be complete.

Lmao. Wandy windmills him in the first 15 seconds and then retires. This sport is such a cluster fuck that it actually seems like a plausible scenario.

ShaneB

Ben Fowlkes writes like a man who does not value his UFC press credentials and I fucking love him for it.

I've become accustomed to feeling like MMA press is just like video games press. Basically extended PR that is afraid of criticizing the UFC in fear of losing a deal or something. I mean here in Canada, Showdown Joe is a pretty big mouth piece for Sportsnet, but he'll never bad mouth anything just because of the relationship sportsnet has with the UFC.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I mean Jones creates more problems for Chael than Silva did. He's got better take down defense and is just as dangerous in terms of striking. It's a bad fight.
0426_gjrtd.gif

Shael will still get destroyed. He has no chance to LNP JJ like he could Anderson.

wow am I late but, did they really just give chael next the shot at bones. That sucks by time the Jones vs Sonnen fight is over and the next light heavy weight contender is picked it will have been over a year since Jones has fought a real light heavy weight contender.

So I wonder how high Chael Testosterone levels will be for the fight? He'll probably come in with hulk levels of testosterone.

So now no Jones vs Hendo? FUCKIN FUCK FUCK. Looks like they ar throwing Hendo to Machida, which is probably an even worse fight for him over Jones. Hendo aint never getting his shot : (

I am a fan of seeing an entertaining fight like Sonnen vs Jones, its entertainment first, but Hendo is one of the most entertaining guys. Machida and Hendo both need shots at Jones before Sonnen does.

LOL, do you guys really think Jones vs Sonnen is a freak show fight? Do people even know what a freak show fight is? Comparing Sonnen to Bob Sapp, Zulu, Hong Man Choi and Giant Silva is a joke. I love freak show fights, but come on now. This is a fun fight between 2 popular legit fighters.

Also a Sonnen vs Jones fight hasn't even been signed yet. Just TUF coaches. Sonnen might lose to Forrest. Don't get your panties in a bunch yet. Hendo still might get the shot.

Heel

Shael should have been Hendo's Jimmy Hart on TUF. Then it would actually be somewhat interesting.

Imagine Shael being a manager for a stable, err gym when he retires. He could walk around with a racket like Cornette and cut promos for his Joe wrestlers.

GungHo

No. Sure the occasional freakshow fight was cool but the real draw of Pride was always the ruleset and the production.
I came for the crazy PRIDE lady, I stayed for the soccer kicks.

And Shael is more Bobby Heenan than Jim Cornette.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fedor fighting a fat guy with a made up record or other guys with no record isn't the same as this.

This is true. Dana can't compete with the best of the sideshow. Yakuza fixes, Ken Shamrock pulling fighters from the ring, and Fedor vs. GIANT GONZALEZ IN A STEEL CAGEEEE.

LOL, do you guys really think Jones vs Sonnen is a freak show fight? Do people even know what a freak show fight is? Comparing Sonnen to Bob Sapp, Zulu, Hong Man Choi and Giant Silva is a joke. I love freak show fights, but come on now. This is a fun fight between 2 popular legit fighters.

It's worse than a freak show fight. At least with those there was a chance of something interesting happening in the fight. Here the only interesting thing will be the lead up. Sonnen will get manhandled by Bones and everyone will be left to wonder what they wasted $60 on. This is the kind of shit that will drive the sport into the ground if Dana is continued to do it.

TheNatural

My Member!
It's worse than a freak show fight. At least with those there was a chance of something interesting happening in the fight. Here the only interesting thing will be the lead up. Sonnen will get manhandled by Bones and everyone will be left to wonder what they wasted $60 on. This is the kind of shit that will drive the sport into the ground if Dana is continued to do it.

I disagree. It's always interesting to see a fight knowing at least one dickhead is going to lose.

The other dumb thing about all this is ruining your heel. The heel should be fighting lower rent competition once in a while to build him up plus he's a good ratings grabber. You're just killing his sell quick.

GungHo

Exactly. It's like going to a titty bar where you know there's no chance the girls will give you a handsy and the DJ is only going to play shitty music he likes.

Top Bottom