• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

FACE

Banned
While Bones is on the shelf going TUF and eventially legit murdering Chael, the UFC should do a LHW Grand Prix to determine a true no. 1 contender. Glover, Rampage, Machida, Hendo, Gus, Cormier, Shogun and Phil Davis in a tournament. The kicker? Do it all in the same night, like the old Ultimates.

Fucking Athletic Commissions.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
PUKE!..thats are champion right there folks..the best in the world
Speaking of puke-inducing quotes and serpentine champions:

Anderson Silva said:
"I'm old, guys, I'm getting old. I'm retired. I'm nearly there. I've only got another five years.

I think [GSP] would be a great challenge for me. I prefer him over Jon Jones. He's smaller. It'll be a little bit easier. I'll be hit less."

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
We already agreed long ago that this is Sports Entertainment and that's how title shots are not based on merit.

Yes MMAGAF has been ahead of the curve and seen whats up for years.

However when you got named fighters coming out publicly and saying.."ya all you cynics are right..its not about merit.." You know we're in a weird place in MMALand

FACE

Banned
Host it in Brazil.

iefx8fTIICxAW.gif

Jones/Sonnen TUF?

Really?

So the Sonnen/Griffin fight is off and he gets an immediate LHW title shot?

Remember that Fox show in LA where the LHW that had the best performance would get the next title shot and its not some short notice thing?

Lemme get that sportscenter laughing gif Heel.

Jones/Sonnen TUF?

Really?

So the Sonnen/Griffin fight is off and he gets an immediate LHW title shot?

Remember that Fox show in LA where the LHW that had the best performance would get the next title shot and its not some short notice thing?

Lemme get that sportscenter laughing gif Heel.

Well, Machida is an idiot

bone_and_sinew

The only thing GSP is the best ever at is putting the audience to sleep with his title defenses in the last few years.

bone_and_sinew

It's either him or Hughes and I honestly don't care enough to debate. All trolling aside, GSP still has a lot of career left, it's too early to crown him for anything.

FACE

Banned
"I'm old, guys, I'm getting old. I'm retired. I'm nearly there. I've only got another five years."

This makes no fucking sense, but coming from Silva it's expected.

You know what? GSP doesn't get enough credit for fighting the actual contenders in his weight class. After Diaz/Bj he was begging for the Diaz fight to happen.

Diaz's trash talk plagued his mind.

Opening line for Jones/Sonnen is -650 to +450 (this means you'd have to bet $650 on Jones to win $100 and if you bet $100 on Sonnen you'd win $450 right?)

Friend

Diaz's trash talk plagued his mind.

Opening line for Jones/Sonnen is -650 to +450 (this means you'd have to bet $650 on Jones to win $100 and if you bet $100 on Sonnen you'd win $450 right?)

Thats correct. Considering those are about equal odds to the Rashad Evans fight, i think betting on Jones is actually a good value. Rashad's a way better lhw than Chael.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Can you see it now?

I can now. It's appropriately dismissive. Good show.

This will be the first season that I skip.
If you kept watching after Rich Franklin literally suggested that one of the competitors take a knee if he was worried about head kicks, I don't think that good taste or high caliber competition is really a barrier in your entertainment.

The only thing GSP is the best ever at is putting the audience to sleep with his title defenses in the last few years.
That man kept Vaseline afloat for 5 years. The oil crisis almost shut them down. Do you want to live in a world where the only anal sex alternatives are Astroglide and KY?

Friends, as one of the few people in the country who still watches TUF, I think this news about Jones vs Sonnen is a good thing temporarily but does it make anyone else nervous that rewarding Sonnen's antics has potential to one day turn UFC into a mixture of mma and pro wrestling where everyone is corny or a heel or has a persona? And what sort of message does this send to all of those hard working fighters in every weight class who sees that being a carnival barker is more important than stringing wins together? Example: Weidman = 5-0 in the UFC with 3 finishes (and 2 bonuses).. not worthy. Sonnen = coming off a title challenge loss in a lower weight class and gets a title shot.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Friends, as one of the few people in the country who still watches TUF, I think this news about Jones vs Sonnen is a good thing temporarily but does it make anyone else nervous that rewarding Sonnen's antics has potential to one day turn UFC into a mixture of mma and pro wrestling where everyone is corny or a heel or has a persona? And what sort of message does this send to all of those hard working fighters in every weight class who sees that being a carnival barker is more important than stringing wins together? Example: Weidman = 5-0 in the UFC with 3 finishes (and 2 bonuses).. not worthy. Sonnen = coming off a title challenge loss in a lower weight class and gets a title shot.

Possibly. It'll probably go down just like boxing did. Belts will become (more) worthless and a handful of dominant champions will fight superfights at catch weight while journeymen and up and comers clobber each other for an off chance that someone gets injured and they get to step in.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I would submit that this has already happened. Prepare your Die Bonesy Die posterboards.

Possibly. It'll probably go down just like boxing did. Belts will become (more) worthless and a handful of dominant champions will fight superfights at catch weight while journeymen and up and comers clobber each other for an off chance that someone gets injured and they get to step in.

Exactly. And I'm not saying we have to get scientifically accurate about this shit to determine who gets the title challenge slot but what happens if we keep throwing people's records and histories out the window and just focus on who can get the most mentions on mma blogs?

I'm not gonna complain too much though because all in all I think this is a great move for TUF and for the first time in awhile I'll have an emotional investment in the outcome because I actually believe Jones and Sonnen will have a beef. BTW Nelson was trying to sell the fact that they hate each other. Yeah right. They're both as boring as watching paint dry and are following the lame script. I'm not sure Carwin is even capable of feeling emotion (or speaking with inflection). He probably watches Star Trek and thinks that Spock dude needs to chill out.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Meanwhile no journalist will call Dana and Joe Silver on their shit.

Heel

WEC vet plans two-on-two MMA fights for upcoming Desert Rage event

As far as weight classes, a team's collective bulk is added together to classify their division. The lightweight class is 350 pounds and under; middleweight is 425 pounds and under; and heavyweights tip the scales at 500 pounds and under.

Farrar said the individual weights of each team don't matter, so, in theory, a 300-pound fighter could be paired with a 125-pound fighter and qualify for middleweight.

iM0mH9Vtr7ZW2.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Honestly Dana just needs to shut the fuck up about naming any contender, ever again, to be honest. 90% of the time they don't work out. Someone gets hurt, interim champs, interim #1 contender in waiting, then the next #1 contender after that.

I mean seriously, just shut the fuck up with this shit it just makes things worse.

Chael really doesn't have a shot, he's looked like shit his past two fights and going bigger but he's entertainment value, which is what the UFC needs right now. Especially with Jones who couldn't draw a fly to a PPV these days. With Chael's mouth, and how sensitive Jon boy is, there won't be any BBQs offered that's for sure.

Enough with the contender shit, the goal of UFC now should be to get superfights, fightsthat will guarantee finishes, or fights that guarantee at least someone cares enough on either side to be interested enough watch their ass get kicked.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

jumpgif.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Farrar, who is semiretired, said the fights will be contested under the Unified Rules of MMA with the exception of no elbows and knees allowed. There will be no rounds and no time limits, he said, as trial runs indicated they weren't needed. Two referees will corral a foursome in a 30-foot cage.

Things get even more interesting when a combatant is stopped by strikes, submission, or referee stoppage. Farrar said a one-minute rest is called to give officials time to remove the eliminated fighter, and the round then resumes.

The fight ends, obviously, when one sides loses both fighters.
If an eliminated fighter is unable to leave the cage within the one-minute period, the other side wins by forfeit. Rounds will be five minutes each with a one-minute rest period between each round, as with standard pro MMA bouts. But Farrar said there will be no limit to how many rounds a fight can go.

holy shit

Hendo gets screwed hardest in all this. Who the f*ck does he need to beat the crap out of now?

I like Sonnen but Dana is on some WWE shiet right here.

Top Bottom