• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
You think there would be no backlash if contenders were never named, but they settled on Jones vs. Sonnen out of the blue?

iL5tuSy5KER3.gif

Well all this crap about who deserves what and who should wait and all this stuff would have stopped.

For starters, Henderson probably would have fought again had he not been basically guaranteed a shot before Jones and Evans even fought. Randy had it figured out, the worst thing an older guy can do is sit and wait for fights instead of being active.

This is probably the worst year in the history of the UFC as far as injuries go fucking things up, so yeah, maybe he should just stop naming contenders before the champion actually DEFENDS his belt before a scheduled fight.

Like right now, Sonnen is getting a shot, so there should be no more talk of who gets the next fight until Jones has that fight.

There should be no shit about GSP or Condit getting Hendricks or Kampmann or Rory if this or this happens.

It would be a lot better for the sport to just shut the hell up about contenders until the champion of that division takes on his next scheduled fight. With all the injuries, suspensions, interim champs, and Frankie Edgar ties and rematches what good is it doing? The success rate of a champion versus the originally #1 contender fighting has to be around 10% or less the last year and a half.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Friday is a terrible time slot for TUF. Maaaaaaybe if it was on at 8, but 10? People that watch that show are out on a Friday Night at 10 pm. TUF would be good on a Monday - Wenesday night at a 9, 10 or even 11pm time slot. Having it on a Friday is even overwhelming as some cards fall on a Friday.

What an awful decision. Did the UFC and Fox think people would stay home on Friday to watch TUF?

My favorite part of the conference call is when Shael openly wondered if Jon would be fighting Scott Ferozzo next. The man might be onto something.
He said that? BAAAAHAHAHA

How can someone not like Shael, srsly.

I wish I wasn't so caught up with family stuff during this tumultuous time for the Ultimate, the lulz are definitely coming.

Spy

Whether I agree with it or not the Sonnen/Jones fight is happening. I want to see Dan Henderson next in line (without having to fight again) and...

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Shogun
Glover Teixeira vs. Machida

Winner of each matchup gets a shot at Jones but I'll be rooting for Gustafsson and Teixeira just to see some fresh faces in the ring. Hopefully during this time Anderson Silva will fight Weidman and Bisping and possibly GSP then finally give us the match we all want to see. Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva. After all of this is accomplished Jon Jones can move up to heavyweight.

I realize I just posted my completely unrealistic UFC wishlist. Think about how crazy it would be though if Jon Jones faced...

Chael Sonnen
Dan Henderson
Alexander Gustafsson
Glover Teixeira
Anderson Silva

before moving up to heavyweight.

SteveWD40

Absolutely. He made himself into one of the biggest draws. He even did it without being that great a fighter. How others aren't learning from him boggles the mind.

People find it a very hard act to pull off, he manages it by having skin thicker than a rhino's ball sack.

Most fighters who try and play the heel end up looking like Kos, hated but not clever or witty enough to get people interested. He also came closer to tooling Silva in their first fight than anyone ever has, so that helps.

His Joe Rogan podcast was good (just after the Bisping fight), he was out of character and an interesting guy with some great storys (his DB Cooper one for example) who seems to have nothing but good things to say about any fighter.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
What an awful decision. Did the UFC and Fox think people would stay home on Friday to watch TUF?

No, they rightly determined that any other programming in the time slot on another night would school them.

Just looking at the schedule now @ 9 pm:

Sunday would put them against Football, 666, and Good Wife/Mentalist (and Homeland and Treme)

Monday would put them against Revolution, Hawaii 5-0, and Castle.

Tuesday would put them against Parenthood, Vegas, and Private Practice (and Covert Affairs and Sons of Anarchy)

Wednesday would put them against Chicago Fire, CSI, and Nashville (and American Horror Story)

Thursday would put them against Rock Center, Elementary, and Scandal

Friday currently puts them against Dateline NBC, Blue Bloods, and 20/20 (and Bill Maher).

Friday night right now is the weakest night of programming (for obvious reasons)... two news magazine shows and something for people who are too old and conservative for even Mark Harmon to watch after they finally get home from their 4 hour quest to find both Luby's and the way back home. Thursday looks weak too, but usually networks don't send shows out to die on Thursdays, and next year it might be a little rougher. Wednesday might be a good target if there's no overlap in CSI and UFC fans. Tuesday would be a blood bath, as I guarantee you there's overlap with SoA and/or sports widows who want to see Shonda Rhimes latest man-hating plot. Monday would be as well, and I have a vested interest in keeping poly employed.

Whether I agree with it or not the Sonnen/Jones fight is happening. I want to see Dan Henderson next in line (without having to fight again) and...

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Shogun
Glover Teixeira vs. Machida

Winner of each matchup gets a shot at Jones but I'll be rooting for Gustafsson and Teixeira just to see some fresh faces in the ring. Hopefully during this time Anderson Silva will fight Weidman and Bisping and possibly GSP then finally give us the match we all want to see. Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva. After all of this is accomplished Jon Jones can move up to heavyweight.

I realize I just posted my completely unrealistic UFC wishlist. Think about how crazy it would be though if Jon Jones faced...

Chael Sonnen
Dan Henderson
Alexander Gustafsson
Glover Teixeira
Anderson Silva

before moving up to heavyweight.
Glohver and Lyoto are bestest friends and won't fight each other FYI.

Glover ain't fighting Machida. Both are at Blackhouse

It should have been

Shogun vs Glover/Little Nog/Rampage
Machida vs Gus

Hendo gets next shot at Bones no matter what.

TheNatural

My Member!
Glover ain't fighting Machida. Both are at Blackhouse

It should have been

Shogun vs Glover/Little Nog/Rampage
Machida vs Gus

Hendo gets next shot at Bones no matter what.

'Shad said he wants a chance to avenge stinky leg:

The guy who i really want to fight more than anything is a guy I lost to, my first loss, and it's Machida. I would love to get a chance to fight Machida again. He looked good against Bader and I want to get that one back. I want to get it back bad. That's the one I really want the most."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/17/3518484/ufc-rashad-evans-jones-sonnen-anderson-silva-machida

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
That's me back from Hong Kong. I take it I missed nothing big.

Absolutely. He made himself into one of the biggest draws. He even did it without being that great a fighter. How others aren't learning from him boggles the mind.

Well, some fighters subscribe to the Jon Fitch Athletic Competition Society and refuse to tarnish their completely honourable sporting profession with the transgressions of the evil corrupting element that is "entertainment."

Other fighters lack eloquence, charisma or mic skills to put on a good verbal show.

And other fighters are just straight-up boring.

Take your pick.

Machida is kryptonite to Shad. He has nothing to offer Machida with his superb TDD and striking. Machida double flawless and fatalityed Evans in the first fight.

GungHo

Since MMA sucks.

Jesus Christ, BBC on NPR is doing a turkey farm show in preparation for the Thanksgiving exectutions. You can barely hear the reporter because the turkeys are barking (sounds like dogs, actually). Which makes me think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeCGURWzjwE

GungHo

Considering that the average post on NeoGAF is less than one page of text in a normal journal, the fact that people cannot read for comprehension is actually quite sad.

Imagine what would happen if we had dream write a few threads.

UFC 153 medical suspensions announced...

Fabio Maldonado: 180 days or neurological clearance. Minimum suspension of 60 days no contest, 45 days no contact.

Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Heel

He said that? BAAAAHAHAHA

How can someone not like Shael, srsly.

I wish I wasn't so caught up with family stuff during this tumultuous time for the Ultimate, the lulz are definitely coming.

Shael borrowed heavily from the MMA-GAF playbook, painting Jon's career as nothing but a bunch of has-beens and never-was. It was masterful.

Sonnen: "So what I talked my way into it? I wanted it, and I got it. I talked a cat out of a tree earlier today. I'll do whatever I want. ... I've got plenty of jobs that I wasn't qualified for and I got promoted anyway. At the end of it all, good for me and chalk one more up for the bad guy."

TheNatural

My Member!
Shael borrowed heavily from the MMA-GAF playbook, painting Jon's career as nothing but a bunch of has-beens and never-was. It was masterful.

Sonnen: "So what I talked my way into it? I wanted it, and I got it. I talked a cat out of a tree earlier today. I'll do whatever I want. ... I've got plenty of jobs that I wasn't qualified for and I got promoted anyway. At the end of it all, good for me and chalk one more up for the bad guy."

I never understood his claim he's never watched wrestling though. He obviously has, and even finished with a Scott Hall Razor Ramon era catchphrase there.

Top Bottom