• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

ShaneB

I agree with alr1ght, first half of fight was great, the near finish was great, and then the last 2 rounds were predictable. Still, a great fight to see live. It's not going to be nearly as fun to watch for Host and Shane today since they know the results.

I remained spoiler free until I watched the card this morning :p

Decent card, but glad I didn't watch it live. Sad to see Hominick lose again, but I hope he sticks around, he is always agressive and pushes fights to be scraps. But 3 loses in a row never looks good.

Bocek ran into a wall, couldn't get the takedowns he needed and Dos Anjos picked him apart.

Didn't care at all for the other fight.. in which I can't even remember the guys names.. Francois Carmonotjotj or something.

Hendricks, oh man. That fight pretty much echoed his Fitch KO, fake the right, and that killer left hook to the jaw. Kampmann out like a light.

The Main Event, great fight, but a perfect example of why the UFC needs to do better at building stars. It was awesome knowing how excited the fans were for the fight. Sure it's GSP in Montreal, but still, a great fight elevated by a great crowd. When GSP got rocked with that kick, it was definitely tense, and it was definitely a lot more back and forth than what the scorecards made it seem.

Also, LOL at gsp ducking the question about Silva.. "yeah, I think about vacation maybe".... what the fuck kind of layoff were you just on Georgie??? If you don't fight again within 5-6 months, fuck you.

edit: I watched Layer Cake instead of the card last night. I made the right choice.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
really impressed with gsp's injury comeback. his wrestling looked as good as ever. is this a sort of injury that will greatly effect him going forward as he ages and slows down, or is this indicative that hes all healed up for good?

Dana on the super fight pre press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pamZXpr5Zc&feature=relmfu

I get his train of thought but I really think he should flip the next fights to a title defense for middle weight/welter weight and then the super fight.

He's creating a log jam in the divisions. Hendricks is waiting in the wings. Diaz is waiting in the wings (even though he'd get destroyed by GSP).

Weidman is waiting for a middle weight title shot.

Then we also have a few strike force fighters who could get injected into the mix like Nate Marquardt (sp).

Also, Anderson seems like a troll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=V2roJH2JmPY&feature=endscreen

Why does he need more than 6 months to get ready for GSP? Does he plan on going to college and becoming a collegiate wrestling star to prepare for the takedowns/ground'n'pound?

Lame how after a that hype GSP won't fight Anderson. If he's not gonna fight Silva tha he should fight Diaz already.

Too bad about Kampman. I was hoping for the upset victory as the dude was on a roll.

And no, Weidman needs to stop bitching about a title shot. Dude has had a ridiculous easy path to contention. I would rather see Bisping get it if he beats Vitor, which will never happen. So when Vitor beats Bisping does he get another shot at Anderson or do you think he will cash in his Money in the Bank shot against Jones again?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Nail on the head. I think there's hostility toward Canada amongst MMA-GAF.

I think it was a good fight..but besides the moment where GSP got rocked..it was a typical victory for GSP..

He dominates everyone with his ability to take down and control the fight on the ground..with minor ground and pound. Its just very predictable.
I think everyone just wants to see GSP do something else.

For all the valid criticisms of Silva he at least finishes fights.

Lame how after a that hype GSP won't fight Anderson. If he's not gonna fight Silva tha he should fight Diaz already.

Too bad about Kampman. I was hoping for the upset victory as the dude was on a roll.

And no, Weidman needs to stop bitching about a title shot. Dude has had a ridiculous easy path to contention. I would rather see Bisping get it if he beats Vitor, which will never happen. So when Vitor beats Bisping does he get another shot at Anderson or do you think he will cash in his Money in the Bank shot against Jones again?

Well, I can understand GSP's line of thinking. Anderson walks around at 220ish and is a great, precise striker. Though he did seem like he was against the fight at the press conference.

I don't think Vitor should get a title shot. He lost to Jones AND Anderson. It should definitely be the winner of a Weidman and winner of Vitor/Bisping.

And there are multiple #1 contenders at light heavy weight. Machida, Henderson and Shogun are technically next in line after Sonnen.

I didn't knock Dana for trying to come up with other matches due to injuries. But it really takes away from the legitimacy of his divisions when he's like Brock should get a title shot after being 1-1 or Sonnen, who has a lost of off of Anderson, should get a title shot at Jones. Same applies for Vitor. Yeah, they're being company men, but we're starting to get guys returning from injuries and we have to look at the long term booking/star building.

And does UFC plan on reducing the price of tickets to try to fill up Dallas? Their prices are ridiculous.

Heel

Caio tha Gawd on blast.

A7-HOFXCYAAlRFN.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
Didn't watch last night, is it worth going back or watching, or did GSP just dominate in usual style? At least sum up in GIF form, it's less work.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
lol how has Weidman's road to the title been easy? People have done much less to get title shots.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Weidman but I'm hard-pressed to see how anyone could be ranked above him on the contender list. Bisping has done nothing but fight easier competition for a longer time.

knee

Also, LOL at gsp ducking the question about Silva.. "yeah, I think about vacation maybe".... what the fuck kind of layoff were you just on Georgie??? If you don't fight again within 5-6 months, fuck you.

edit: I watched Layer Cake instead of the card last night. I made the right choice.

The dude just went through months of rehab / training camp. It'll be nice for him to kick back and do nothing for a while.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol how has Weidman's road to the title been easy? People have done much less to get title shots.

the guy who said that also thinks diaz should be next in line against gsp. the same diaz that is coming off a loss to condit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think he meant he wants to go somewhere nice for a week or two and then he'll decide, not that he is going on vacation for months

Exactly, not sure why it needs to be made that obvious.

I think the combination of salt to due to the Gawd's victory along the realization that MMA-GAF is getting X-Pac heat from the rest of GAF is clouding the thoughts of our friends.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You guys are only realising now that we get X-pac heat from the rest of GAF? I thought that was part of the joke for us wanting to be insular.

Also, none of these cross-weight super fights will happen because the smaller guy doesn't want to fight the bigger guy. The closest thing to one of those we're getting is Frankie v Aldo, someday when Aldo is not injured.

TheNatural

My Member!
You guys are only realising now that we get X-pac heat from the rest of GAF? I thought that was part of the joke for us wanting to be insular.

Also, none of these cross-weight super fights will happen because the smaller guy doesn't want to fight the bigger guy. The closest thing to one of those we're getting is Frankie v Aldo, someday when Aldo is not injured.

Heat from who? I never even see people mention this thread.

FACE

Banned
Exactly, not sure why it needs to be made that obvious.

I think the combination of salt to due to the Gawd's victory along the realization that MMA-GAF is getting X-Pac heat from the rest of GAF is clouding the thoughts of our friends.

Realisation? We've been getting heat from UFC-Gaf for a long ass time now.

Heel

Lets discuss this a bit, though. What other sport are you expected to universally appreciate the talent of every participant? Do these butthurt UFC-GAF'ers on the sidelines go to basketball games and cheer when each team scores because they're just so, so talented?

Ribbing is a part of sports culture. Guess what, not everyone likes Tom Brady. Not everyone likes Lebron James. Not everyone likes GSP. You're going to have the piss taken out of your favorite fighter. Can these dudes not handle that?

"You lose a game, you're a bum. You win a game, you're a God." -Barack Obama on Monday Night Football

FACE

Banned
Chamber, how are you liking your WiiU so far?

Lets discuss this a bit, though. What other sport are you expected to universally appreciate the talent of every participant? Do these butthurt UFC-GAF'ers on the sidelines go to basketball games and cheer when each team scores because they're just so, so talented?

Ribbing is a part of sports culture. Guess what, not everyone likes Tom Brady. Not everyone likes Lebron James. Not everyone likes GSP. You're going to have the piss taken out of your favorite fighter. Can these dudes not handle that?

"You lose a game, you're a bum. You win a game, you're a God." -Barack Obama on Monday Night Football

Those cookie cutter motherfuckers can't handle anything but unrelenting praise for their canadian overlord.

Gamepad - Great
New Super Mario Bros. - Great

The hardware itself? Questionable, to say the least. Slowest OS I've ever seen on a console.

Watching the Giant Bomb stream off and on all day and that's been the biggest takeaway for me. The OS looks and runs like fucking trash. Can't believe you have to enable old Wii mode to play your old VC games instead of just letting you transfer the licenses into the Wii U proper. Nintendo should hire that OS designer Apple just fired, because this is shit.

Top Bottom