• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

I ain't mad at number one, and any capital Sapp built up by going to war with Nog has been squandered hundreds of times over, especially lately.

However, liking Face The Pain should be punishable by death.

What are everybody's favorite non-UFC fights from this year? Two that come to mind for me are Marquardt/Woodley and Curran/Warren. Melendez/Thompson III was also great despite the crappy split decision. I'll try to add a few more later.
You should narrow it down a bit to favorite non-Zuffa fights.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
JDS only needs to beat Overeem and than he pretty much clears out the division. Maybe Barnett/DC/Hunt will give him a scrap too

By beating Cain he becomes the joint-best HW champion with 2 defences.

If he manages 3 defences he's the top HW champion of all time.

The HW division gets way too much of a bad rap all because of one era of time in one organization.

The elite-level HWs (JDS, Overeem, Cain, Werdum, etc) provide more entertainment than any other division, but the problem with the HW division getting a bad rap purely comes down to the fact that 90% of the world's HWs are unskilled fat dudes.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Here I already made a banner for Fox 5
fox5lkkjo.png

Saved.

Guys I am such a hopeless romantic. I wonder if this is how Dream feels when he gets rejected by a white girl.

Edit: Oh and I am going to write Mélanie Laurent a crown of sonnets and send it over twitter. Is that weird?

SteveWD40

Some observations after submitting a few MMA stories to Reddit the last few days:

1) People love Wand (#1 story in the subreddit)

2) People hate Bob Sapp (was instantly downvoted when I tried to celebrate his greatness...disgusting.).

3) The dealbreaker: The community likes "Face the Pain"

I'm never leaving our insular community again.

Reddit is an echo chamber / circle jerk and the donwvote arrows are killing the community, they need to remove the arrows altogether.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Some observations after submitting a few MMA stories to Reddit the last few days:

1) People love Wand (#1 story in the subreddit)

2) People hate Bob Sapp (was instantly downvoted when I tried to celebrate his greatness...disgusting.).

3) The dealbreaker: The community likes "Face the Pain"

I'm never leaving our insular community again.

Imagine what would happen if someone used Face the Pain as a walkout song...... it would be like typing Google into Google.

Cruz being out for another year blows my mind. The man(child) is in the midst of his fighting prime and could be raking in sponsorship money. In all he'll have missed at least two years when he finally returns .. btw can they just strip of him of the title? Two years is a little much to put a division on hold (Faber needs to get those quarterly title shots in!). Has there been an 'interim' title held open for two years before? What's the longest that has gone?

industrian

Cruz being out for another year blows my mind. The man(child) is in the midst of his fighting prime and could be raking in sponsorship money. In all he'll have missed at least two years when he finally returns .. btw can they just strip of him of the title? Two years is a little much to put a division on hold (Faber needs to get those quarterly title shots in!). Has there been an 'interim' title held open for two years before? What's the longest that has gone?

If you can't defend the belt for a year you should be stripped of it. Obviously a dude like GSP will be "immune" to this sort of thing, but considering that Dominic Cruz couldn't sell a PPV if it was given away with a box of Cheerios I figure that Renan Berao should be promoted immediately to full champion - ESPECIALLY since Berao has stated that he will take the Carlos Condit route to ensuring a "proper" title fight.

industrian

I wonder how weird brazilian pizza is. To be fair being a new yorker everyone elses pizza is weird to me

How about Scottish pizza?

PN5hM.jpg

SwpB7.jpg

That's a curry pizza. Absolutely divine. Like eating fire.

*eagerly awaits Noo Yawk pizza elitist response.*

Marku Hunto vs Stefan Struve at UFC on FX 8

TUF moves to Tuesdays next season, which starts 1/22/13.

And finally - yaco better get those tickets now .. Bader vs The Janitor in Chicago!

By beating Cain he becomes the joint-best HW champion with 2 defences.

If he manages 3 defences he's the top HW champion of all time.

The elite-level HWs (JDS, Overeem, Cain, Werdum, etc) provide more entertainment than any other division, but the problem with the HW division getting a bad rap purely comes down to the fact that 90% of the world's HWs are unskilled fat dudes.

Barnett
Mir
Carwin
Arlovski
Crocop
Coleman
Struve
Randelman
Frye
Fedor
Sergi
Brock
Randy
Nog

are not unskilled fat dudes. Tim Sylvia is the only one that might fit that category. HW division is/was awesome except for UFC 2002-2006. Thats the only time it was terrible.

Oh and Scottish pizza looks like Freddy Kruger's face compared to New York pizza. WAAAAAR NYC PIZZA. PvP best pizza in the world

industrian

That's not the real Scottish pizza

2775199531_188bdf2cf7.jpg

We are the land of battered pizza

Madras Pizzas > Fried Pizzas.

Homesickness has on many occasions made me almost ask a fried chicken vendor in Taiwan to deep fry a pizza for me. And to top that off I've actually seriously asked my girlfriend about the potential of setting up a Scottish takeaway inspired night market stall in Taipei. I figure it'd be relatively profitable, and maybe even get me on Reporting Scotland at the very least.

industrian

[...] are not unskilled fat dudes.

"90% of the world's HWs."

As in: the entire world. Not just the Zuffa bubble.

Most HWs are just really out-of-shape MWs or (to be be polite) unmotivated LHWs. Watch any AXS MMA show for more details.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
How about Scottish pizza?
Ah, yes... pizza with the meat of a recently-felled Haggis Beast would be a feast to behold...

That's a curry pizza. Absolutely divine. Like eating fire.
Yes, curry is something I think of when I think of Scotland. Claymores. The Stone of Scone. Fair glens. Peat. And curry...

No wonder you were subjugated.

We are the land of battered pizza
This is more like it.

SteveWD40

*eagerly awaits Noo Yawk pizza elitist response.*

Not even from the US but the Pizza I had at Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge was the finest I have ever had and I have eaten several in Italy.

It's the hard water in the dough I heard, as opposed to soft water in Italy.

I've posted this in nerd chat, but

CvPX9.jpg

Gp4iB.jpg

It is a bit heavy so I like to get their white pizza (5 cheeses, basil, tomato) as a counterbalance.

You can get their pizzas in sub sandwich form too, for a portable but still huge meal.

I had to stop going during elections though cuz they had republican candidate signs everywhere. The other good pizza place here was worse though; they would talk to you about religion along with their dumb right wing politics if you were foolish enough to make conversation.

industrian

Surprise surprise I'm really fucking hungry right now.

But the only avenues open to me for pizza over here is Pizza Hut. Then again they've got a constant buy-one-get-one-free on large pizzas and the thin-base is decent enough.

But still fucking nothing on the takeaway/fast-food nexus of the world that is the Dalry/Gorgie Road area of Edinburgh.

Yes, curry is something I think of when I think of Scotland. Claymores. The Stone of Scone. Fair glens. Peat. And curry...

In all fairness the "concept" of the modern curry is a British invention, with the Chicken tikka masala in particular a Scottish development.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
In all fairness the "concept" of the modern curry is a British invention, with the Chicken tikka masala in particular a Scottish development.
I know, I'm fucking with you. One of my coworkers is an Edinburgher and I torment him mercilessly.

VoxPop

The HW division gets way too much of a bad rap all because of one era of time in one organization. HW division was always awesome except in UFC from 2002-2006. Great HW fighters were around Randelman, Severn,Tank, Shamrock,Frye,Smith,Goodridge, Coleman, Randy, Vitor, Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Herring and I can go on. It's unbelievable how people still say its not a stacked division. I guess Tim Sylvia being a champion really destroyed the image of the HW division even to this day.

That's cause everyone you mentioned are a joke except Fedor & Nog. Fedor also spent half of his career fighting cans despite being the top dog.

Speaking of HWs, not sure if this has been posted

Struve vs Hunto @ UFC on Fuel 8 Japan

Struve by 1st RD Gogo

Also Diego Dirty Sanchez vs Gomi on that card. Remember this was originally supposed to happen when Pride first folded? Matt Hughes would've smoked all these talentless Pride 'fighters'

ufc-pride-lightweight-tournament.jpg

It's official, TUF will get the Tuesday 9pm ET slot on FX starting in January for Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen.

Thank fucking god. This is the perfect time slot. Whoever thought Friday was a good slot should be fired. I can't think of a worse time slot than Friday at 10pm hahahaha

So now everyone can not watch TUF on Tuesday instead of Friday. Big fuckin deal.

Tuesday night is the shittest night of the week so its fitting.

I am thinking of getting Yakuza Dead Souls today after work. Its $17 now at Gamestop. I love the series. How is this version? been waiting on the BOMBA price drop for months.

I'm late but New York and Italian pizza sucks ass. The best pizza I have ever had was in the Bay area and I remember this one place in Chicago from when I was 14 that was good. Although the actual Chicago style pizza sucks ass. Most of the places I have tired in L.A. are okay but I really wish they had better chains around here.

As far as chains go Pizza Hut and Domino's sucks ass compared to Me and Ed's.

I'm late but New York and Italian pizza sucks ass. The best pizza I have ever had was in the Bay area and I remember this one place in Chicago from when I was 14 that was good. Although the actual Chicago style pizza sucks ass. Most of the places I have tired in L.A. are okay but I really wish they had better chains around here.

As far as chains go Pizza Hut and Domino's sucks ass compared to Me and Ed's.

You must REAAAALLY hate pizza than. But yeah, Domino's and Pizza Hut are down right disgusting.

So now everyone can not watch TUF on Tuesday instead of Friday. Big fuckin deal.

Big fucking deal indeed. Friday night is where TV shows go to die and putting it on Tuesday shows that FX is confident in the next season pulling in the ratings necessary to put it in this slot.

Top Bottom