• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Have you guys been seeing the women's mma twitter drama? My apologies if I'm getting this wrong but I'm retarded when trying to figure out twitter conversations. Felice Harrig's manager happens to be the ex-manager of the girl she's going to fight next, Michelle Guttierez. The manager retained login info to Guttierez's emails and social networking logins. This Guttierez girl announces she's injured and can't fight Harrig. Harrig's manager (Guttierez's ex-manager) goes into her email and finds out she's lying about the injury and posts about it. Manager guy thinks he's a hero catching Guttierez out but mma fans on twitter are lashing out at this manager guy now. This is crazy and entertaining.

BTW manager dude's name = @BrianButler_Au

No problems. I just found it interesting for the aspect that it proves what we were all strongly suspiscious of in that fighters get 'injured' conveniently. And from the standpoint that professional fighters and managers are melting down in the public eye. Even DaMarques Johnson is getting involved somehow. I think maybe this Brian dude managed him at some point? Either way he seems to talk shit about him all the time.

Now time for Boardwalk Empire season finale! (dvring Downton Abbey for later when I'm having my menses and cranberry juice)

And I call dibs on 155.

Also, what in the holy fuck were they thinking with that Dana White/Rob Riggle sketch thing? Dana tweeted that he was flying out to LA to hang with Riggle earlier in the week and this is what he came out to do? That's the entire extent of promo he did for his Fox show while he was in town? What a fucktard. That whole bit is completely nonsensical.

JXMsml.jpg

What the fuck is with the UFC lately, they're photoshopping the fighters' faces to make them look mean/angry. It looks fucking horrible. Focus on the eyebrows.

JXMsml.jpg

What the fuck is with the UFC lately, they're photoshopping the fighters' faces to make them look mean/angry. It looks fucking horrible. Focus on the eyebrows.

They are trying to make these guys more interesting and marketable but its hard when the average UFC fighter has the personality of a bag of dog food.

Joe Riggs talking shit.
Did you see my response, lol

Oh and here's the full Rob Riggle skit, makes a lot more sense when you watch the whole thing even though its still kind of lame.

http://youtu.be/CtJP83EKp6c
They are trying to make these guys more interesting and marketable but its hard when the average UFC fighter has the personality of a bag of dog food.
So basically, you can tell when the UFC thinks they have a relatively weak headliner solely based on the presence of photoshopped eyebrows on the poster, lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Which is basically every card that doesn't include Silva or GSP. Can't wait for this shitty organization to fold.

Yeah, a fresh start would be nice. Can hardly be bothered to watch the cards anymore :/

Although I am more excited for saturday's card than I've been in a long while.

Michael Chiesa is sick and won't be fighting Marcus LeVesseur at UFC on Fox 5.

And Heel, you're gonna love this: Max Holloway wants to fill in, he tweeted that he wants the fight. It'd be a gimme for him anyways, this LeVesseur guy is fucking horrible and Max will stroll in there, smash him and get dat chedda.

It's funny how the MMA gods have spared pretty much the whole main card of this show and have ravaged the prelims.

also, cumbr pls

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Michael Chiesa is sick and won't be fighting Marcus LeVesseur at UFC on Fox 5.

And Heel, you're gonna love this: Max Holloway wants to fill in, he tweeted that he wants the fight. It'd be a gimme for him anyways, this LeVesseur guy is fucking horrible and Max will stroll in there, smash him and get dat chedda.

It's funny how the MMA gods have spared pretty much the whole main card of this show and have ravaged the prelims.

also, cumbr pls

Quiet you, there's still almost a whole week for things to go wrong! Don't jinx it now

SteveWD40

Yeah, a fresh start would be nice. Can hardly be bothered to watch the cards anymore :/

Although I am more excited for saturday's card than I've been in a long while.

I feel the UFC needs to revamp their brand a bit, we have long thought an official feeder league was a good idea and now with SF gone it's easily time to get it done.

Have a heap of smaller cards, don't cut any fighters, just demote them to the huge feeder org (keep the name for branding, so UFC Div 1 or w/e).

Then have the BIG PPV's ever 2-3 months so you avoid injury stacked cards, you can promote them and spend money on getting the casual's in, have 3-4 amazing fights on the main card with the "big names".

Right now it feels like they are trying to squeeze too many cards out of a small pool of fighters.

I feel the UFC needs to revamp their brand a bit, we have long thought an official feeder league was a good idea and now with SF gone it's easily time to get it done.

Have a heap of smaller cards, don't cut any fighters, just demote them to the huge feeder org (keep the name for branding, so UFC Div 1 or w/e).

Then have the BIG PPV's ever 2-3 months so you avoid injury stacked cards, you can promote them and spend money on getting the casual's in, have 3-4 amazing fights on the main card with the "big names".

Right now it feels like they are trying to squeeze too many cards out of a small pool of fighters.
Dana seems to want to stay the course until they run the fucking thing into the ground.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Fortnightly FX/Fuel cards to establish & build-up talent. Smaller scale, smaller venues. Invite local talent to the prelims.
Monthly PPVs to determine No. 1 Contenders, championship matches, etc.
Quarterly Fox shows with stacked cards for championships, superfights, etc.

But in all honesty that's just my desire to see a more structured UFC instead of the current ad-hoc nature that just seems to invite injuries and a perceived unwillingness to fight. I'm not asking for a full-blown Bellator-esque "seasonal" structure, I just want all of the divisions to keep moving at a good pace and for there to be a present & established carrot-and-stick so that fighters know what's on the line - from the fortnightly shows to the quarterly ones.

SteveWD40

Fortnightly FX/Fuel cards to establish & build-up talent. Smaller scale, smaller venues. Invite local talent to the prelims.
Monthly PPVs to determine No. 1 Contenders, championship matches, etc.
Quarterly Fox shows with stacked cards for championships, superfights, etc.

But in all honesty that's just my desire to see a more structured UFC instead of the current ad-hoc nature that just seems to invite injuries and a perceived unwillingness to fight. I'm not asking for a full-blown Bellator-esque "seasonal" structure, I just want all of the divisions to keep moving at a good pace and for there to be a present & established carrot-and-stick so that fighters know what's on the line - from the fortnightly shows to the quarterly ones.

Yeah, I like that idea.

Right now it just feels so chaotic, people given title shot's based on who might sell / who isn't injured, no structure, no real ranking.

I don't want Fitches level of "no entertainment!" but then there is a balance between that and just giving Sonnen every title shot ever because he sells PPV's to "middle america".

Have you guys been seeing the women's mma twitter drama? My apologies if I'm getting this wrong but I'm retarded when trying to figure out twitter conversations. Felice Harrig's manager happens to be the ex-manager of the girl she's going to fight next, Michelle Guttierez. The manager retained login info to Guttierez's emails and social networking logins. This Guttierez girl announces she's injured and can't fight Harrig. Harrig's manager (Guttierez's ex-manager) goes into her email and finds out she's lying about the injury and posts about it. Manager guy thinks he's a hero catching Guttierez out but mma fans on twitter are lashing out at this manager guy now. This is crazy and entertaining.

BTW manager dude's name = @BrianButler_Au
Those names seemed familiar so I google'd them. They were the females in that shitty death-metal MMA game.

EDIT: Supremacy MMA

Its pretty much impossible to market JDS vs Cain II. How can you market a fight that one guy got embarrassed and lost in 64 seconds from somebody that torn his meniscus. Now that JDS is fully healed he will KO him in 30 seconds. Time to just move on and give us JDS vs Reem.

DKehoe

Its pretty much impossible to market JDS vs Cain II. How can you market a fight that one guy got embarrassed and lost in 64 seconds from somebody that torn his meniscus. Now that JDS is fully healed he will KO him in 30 seconds. Time to just move on and give us JDS vs Reem.

It's the number 1 and number 2 heavyweights in the world. Show highlights of both of them looking like badasses. Easy enough.

I've said before on here but I don't think you can take a 1 punch KO in a 1 minute fight to mean much really. If they were to fight a bunch more times its not like that is how the fight is going to play out every time.

It's the number 1 and number 2 heavyweights in the world. Show highlights of both of them looking like badasses. Easy enough.

I've said before on here but I don't think you can take a 1 punch KO in a 1 minute fight to mean much really. If they were to fight a bunch more times its not like that is how the fight is going to play out every time.

But Cain really isn't the number 2. Hes more like 4. I have Overeem and Werdum above him.

DKehoe

But Cain really isn't the number 2. Hes more like 4. I have Overeem and Werdum above him.

Overeem's only real opponents at Heavyweight have been Wedrum and Brock. He didn't look good against Werdum and broke the conditions of his license (which really he shouldn't have been granted anyway) to fight Brock, who was also coming back from major surgery. I would definitely put Cain above him.

Overeem's only real opponents at Heavyweight have been Wedrum and Brock. He didn't look good against Werdum and broke the conditions of his license (which really he shouldn't have been granted anyway) to fight Brock, who was also coming back from major surgery. I would definitely put Cain above him.

Cains only real opponents were post surgery Brock and a waaaay out of prime Nogeuira. Once Cain fought a legit JDS get got terribly smashed.

JDS took a pretty bad ass path to the title pretty much clearing out the division on the way.

Werdum
Gonzaga
Crocop
Nelson
Carwin
Struve

just decimated Mir.

JDS only needs to beat Overeem and than he pretty much clears out the division. Maybe Barnett/DC/Hunt will give him a scrap too

Where? Will I have to choke a bitch?

That reminds me that some dude told me grammar is a science the other day. I felt like slapping him.
The soul thread. Too many people read soul and automatically think of the religious definition. After class I am going back into the thread.

MjFrancis

Overeem is a likable guy, I mean who could possible hate MMA's premier connoisseur of horse meat? His friendly pedigree aside, I'll agree with the people here who call him untested. He's a top 5 guy for sure, but his tenure of can crushing in DREAM did more to pad his highlight reel than prove his meddle versus the better heavyweights in the UFC. And we all know how shallow that division is, so it's not like we'll have to wait too long for him to prove himself. Three fights in 2013 should be enough to let us know where he stands.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I keep telling you guys you can't judge Heavyweights this way. There's only about 6 or 7 legit fighters in the division. Save the who beat who stuff for divisions with actual depth.

VASPER

Banned
I keep telling you guys you can't judge Heavyweights this way. There's only about 6 or 7 legit fighters in the division. Save the who beat who stuff for divisions with actual depth.

Roy nelson says hi. JK
Do you guyzz think Bigfoot could have beaten Brock?

Can you have an interim champ in a division that nobody cares about?
Best thing ever to happen to that division. Hope he loses the title and never gets back to the top.

Now we just need to be rid of Mighty Mouse, though I guess by relegating him the the flyweight division we kind of are.

Top Bottom