• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Who is Harley Race?

One tough SOB. I have heard some crazy stories about him, but he would still gas faster than a HW in Denver

Harley-race_288x288.jpg

Heel

Sorry friend, that was an inside joke for roughly 3 people to enjoy.

You know what's great, though? Ric's marathon shoot interview.

DKehoe

Also, Haku, who Flair mentions as being tough, was actually approached to be in one of the early UFC (might have actually been the first one) since he had the reputation as being the toughest street fighter in the world. Once bit off a guys nose, another time he pulled someone's eye out.

I can honestly see some guys like Haku do well in the early UFC when everyone was 1 dimensional. Like mid 90's. They wouldn't stand a chance vs the next generation of fighters like Chuck, Randy, Hendo etc

I would say that being a pro wrassler is tougher than doing MMA currently. Wrasslers are taking bumps 300 nights a week and are injured all the time. While MMA fighters fight on average 2 fights a year and sometimes even walk away from fights undamaged.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Bas Rutten did say he found the couple pro wrestling matches he did tougher on his body than MMA.

Ken Shamrock is a good barometer here. His WWF career did a number on him.

Pro wrestlers need to be actors, stuntmen and choreographers who take constant bumps in training, on the road, on TV - you name it. There's a reason why half of them die from painkiller and steroid-related causes.

For as brutal a sport as MMA can be and as serious the toll can be on the body, at least it has a modicum of regulation and "fighting safe" is an option. In pro-wrestling you're at the mercies of the McMahons and the drive to put on an entertaining show.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Pro wrestlers work a pretty insane schedule, especially compared to MMA fighters. No doubt it's a tough thing to do.

Back in the 80's and 90's pro wrestlers also worked A LOT stiffer. I would say guys today like John Cena have had it MUCH easier than guys like Foley, Flair and Austin. Over the years moves have been banned as well as chair shots to the head. I don't really follow pro wrestling anymore but from time to time ill watch it for a bit if I am bored or put it on as background noise, but AFAIK guys don't take as many bumbs. I remember every Monday back in the 90's somebody would go through the announcer table...and who can forget ECW.

Ill also say MMA fighters had it much harder as well. The tourney style fights must have been brutal as fuck in both PRIDE & especially UFC where there we no rules at all. UFC fighters today too have it good. Fighting twice a year isn't a bad gig under unified rules.

industrian

Back in the 80's and 90's pro wrestlers also worked A LOT stiffer. I would say guys today like John Cena have had it MUCH easier than guys like Foley, Flair and Austin. Over the years moves have been banned as well as chair shots to the head. I don't really follow pro wrestling anymore but from time to time ill watch it for a bit if I am bored or put it on as background noise, but AFAIK guys don't take as many bumbs. I remember every Monday back in the 90's somebody would go through the announcer table...and who can forget ECW.

You're forgetting shit like blading as well.

As for working stiff, I'll just leave this here: http://youtu.be/Z-sVl95KI2c?t=1m00s

DKehoe

On latest Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer was mentioned something I hadn't heard before, when Arlovski was heavyweight champion BJ wanted to fight him for the title.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
LOL @ Hendricks.

That's a great example of why Dana should stop declaring the winner of such and such to be the #1 contender.

Heel

Dana has had a hard on for this fight since Diaz vs. Daley and won't let it go. Lost to Conduit? The fans...they want an automatic rematch! Disappear for a year? GSP...he really wants it!

Don't blame him. No one can say with a straight face that Hendricks would outdraw Nick, even now. Welcome to prizefighting, sport purists. If Bones vs. Sonnen wasn't proof enough, you can't deny it now.

industrian

Anyone want Titan Quest on Steam?

It's been added to the Humble Bundle and I've already got it.

charsace

I don't know if any of the current crop could compete. Maybe some guys from when they used to teach guys real catch wrestling. I'm not sure when sports entertainment guys stopped learning catch to become wrestlers though so I can't really call it.

I don't know if any of the current crop could compete. Maybe some guys from when they used to teach guys real catch wrestling. I'm not sure when sports entertainment guys stopped learning catch to become wrestlers though so I can't really call it.

Josh Barnett is a catch wrestler. Or a 'catch as catch can' wrestler as Mauro Renallo would say.

Top Bottom