• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Centurion

Banned
Wait a second, the fans wanted to see Fedor fight Ogawa? Get out of town. That couldn't be why they booked that fight, could it? How outrageous!

that's why it's cute when trying to "debate" with the spike tv era fans who go back and pretend they've been fans since UFC 1, and go look up fight finder or wiki fight records to pretend they know their shit :)

tens years from now.

"Couture?!? The can who fought James Toney who has an 0-1 record?!?!?! LULULULZ"

Boogie

Wait a second, the fans wanted to see Fedor fight Ogawa? Get out of town. That couldn't be why they booked that fight, could it? How outrageous!

Yes, but the fans' interest for Fedor/Ogawa was nothing compared to their frothing demand for the superfight that was Fedor/Zuluzinho. :p

that's why it's cute when trying to "debate" with the spike tv era fans who go back and pretend they've been fans since UFC 1, and go look up fight finder or wiki fight records to pretend they know their shit :)

tens years from now.

"Couture?!? The can who fought James Toney who has an 0-1 record?!?!?! LULULULZ"

That's why the Fedor arguing will never die. Me must educate the uneducated. Otherwise MMA fan base will get even worse. Spike tv fan base will claim Cain with his 10-1 record wasn't padded with at least 8 cans.

Heel

Yes, but the fans' interest for Fedor/Ogawa was nothing compared to their frothing demand for the superfight that was Fedor/Zuluzinho. :p

Perhaps PRIDE booked based on spectacle and fan demand to put butts in the seats? What a novel concept. Someone get Joe Silva on the line with this revelation.

Heel

Who doesn't enjoy a fun freak show fight every once in a while? It's exciting to see Royce Gracie vs Akebono.

Seriously, let's quit worrying about legacy and take a lesson from fans of the era. Who wouldn't wanna see JDS fight Big Show on New Year's Eve? Badr Hari vs. Frank Mir? I think you get the point. We're here to be entertained, a concept that seems to be lost to many who are worried about numbers.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Who doesn't enjoy a fun freak show fight every once in a while? It's exciting to see Royce Gracie vs Akebono.
Seriously, let's quit worrying about legacy and take a lesson from fans of the era. Who wouldn't wanna see JDS fight Big Show on New Year's Eve? Badr Hari vs. Frank Mir? I think you get the point. We're here to be entertained, a concept that seems to be lost to many who are worried about numbers.
And with that said Uncle Dana needs an Open Weight Grand Prix.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Well I'd like a bit of Both.. I was on the Hunt vs JDS train before they gave it to Mur
I don't want wrastlin but they need to get some damn personalities..all the recent TUF guys that graduate are complete shit when it comes to star power..

TheNatural

My Member!

Eduardo Ferreira ‏@dudutatame

This fast? RT @ ufc_brasil: Not even debuted, Bibiano Fernandes out of the fight against Roland Delorme in UFC # 149. Replacement will be announced soon

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Joey Beltran back in the UFC .. as LHW apparently as his first fight back is against James Te Huna.

I'm going to need to contact Shogun to know whether or not he'd rather be cut than face Diet Beltran before making any predictions.

'The following is a list of all the main card fighters who have pulled out of UFC 149 for one reason or another: Jose Aldo, Erik Koch, Thiago Alves, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Shogun Rua, Thiago Silva, Michael Bisping and Bibiano Fernandes.' -mmafighting.com

What in the hell is going on? That's just one event!

tens years from now.

I've been following this long enough to remember fighters going up in the rankings after losing to Fedor. The hype around the guy was incredible, and it was mostly based in this circular "Fedor is great, this guy gave Fedor trouble, therefore he's a great fighter and Fedor is fighting great fighters". Look at some of his old fights, that defense he tried against Werdum's triangle actually worked against Cro-Crop (which says a lot about Cro-Crop's submissions at that point), in the first fight against Nog Antionio couldn't walk without painkillers due to an injury (and in the second he used a headbutt as an ejection button), he nearly got americana'd by Mark Hunt of all people and he started to lose at a point when most fighters are in their prime. Do you remember his camp trying to say that Silva had been using mind control beams?

Fedor is a joke that clowned on cans and took fights he knew he would win stylistically. Tell me, how many competent wrestlers with good submissions did he fight? He was a decent fighter in an era where everyone else was terrible and when people started to actually train for MMA in the 2000s he stopped being competitive with the top fighters.

...This was a tournament. Do you not remember how big of a joke it was when they paired Fedor against a professional wrestler that he beat in a minute and then put two good fighters against each other where they wore themselves out? And then Fedor had to cheat by headbutting to get a NC?

Centurion

Banned
derp derp derp...

XZgQr.jpg

Heel

...This was a tournament. Do you not remember how big of a joke it was when they paired Fedor against a professional wrestler that he beat in a minute and then put two good fighters against each other where they wore themselves out?And then Fedor had to cheat by headbutting to get a NC?

iMhyi6eNSPICl.gif

Yes, the Japanese fans wanted to see a 7-0 Japanese born Pro Wrestler beat the big bad foreigner and the promoter actually booked it. What a joke of a company. They should've been worried about Fedor's legacy a decade down the road instead of putting butts in the seats. I'm outraged...why was that crowd going crazy when the bell rang? The arena should've been empty!

What, was Fedor fighting Big Nog, the best submission artist of his era, 3 times not definitive enough for you breh? Get mad.

What, was Fedor fighting Big Nog, the best submission artist of his era, 3 times not definitive enough for you breh? Get mad.

Fight 1: Nog literally couldn't walk until they injected painkillers directly into his spine and Fedor couldn't even finish it.
Fight 2: Fedor got the Pro Wrestler earlier in the tournament, Nog got a real fighter and then had to force a NC.
Fight 3: "The floor is lava".

I mean, the final fight was a legitimate win based on gameplanning that diving into the guard of an excellent grappler is a bad idea when you have a sambo base, but if you're trying to use it to say something about his grappling skills and not the Brazilian Double Leg Takedown then I'm not sure what you're thinking.

I'm sorry you can't admit that a fat, racist punchman might not have been all that people thought he was.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking the whole "Post GIFs then retarded opinions" shtick you've got going on here.

Heel

Fight 1: Nog literally couldn't walk until they injected painkillers directly into his spine and Fedor couldn't even finish it.
Fight 2: Fedor got the Pro Wrestler earlier in the tournament, Nog got a real fighter and then had to force a NC.
Fight 3: "The floor is lava".

I mean, the final fight was a legitimate win based on gameplanning that diving into the guard of an excellent grappler is a bad idea when you have a sambo base, but if you're trying to use it to say something about his grappling skills and not the Brazilian Double Leg Takedown then I'm not sure what you're thinking.

I'm sorry you can't admit that a fat, racist punchman might not have been all that people thought he was.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking the whole "Post GIFs then retarded opinions" shtick you've got going on here.

Okay that was a big step for you.

Retarded like reducing your argument to "he had to cheat!" and petty insults instead of addressing why fans wanted to see Fedor fight guys like Ogawa?

Nored fam.

Okay that was a big step for you.

Retarded like reducing your argument to "he had to cheat!" and petty insults instead of addressing why fans wanted to see Fedor fight guys like Ogawa?

Nored fam.

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to admit that throwing somebody a can to thrash for a random fight is different than throwing somebody a can in a tournament...

Centurion

Banned
you're just drenching in derpness.

I've been following this long enough to remember fighters going up in the rankings after losing to Fedor. The hype around the guy was incredible, and it was mostly based in this circular "Fedor is great, this guy gave Fedor trouble, therefore he's a great fighter and Fedor is fighting great fighters".

you mean like with Chael Sonnen or anyone else who gives Anderson Silva trouble right?

Look at some of his old fights, that defense he tried against Werdum's triangle actually worked against Cro-Crop (which says a lot about Cro-Crop's submissions at that point),

for a guy who claims to have been a fan since the early days, I've never heard of "Cro-cop"... do you mean Cro cop? Let me guess, you've been an X-box fan your whole life too right?

No one has EVER said cro cop has an elite ground game. What he does have is excellent striking and good TDD. Another derp.

in the first fight against Nog Antionio couldn't walk without painkillers due to an injury (and in the second he used a headbutt as an ejection button)

this derpness needs no comment.

he nearly got americana'd by Mark Hunt of all people

first off, Mark Hunt only got into that position because Fedor threw Hunt to the ground, and they landed sideways, so Mark Hunt used his lovely fat body to roll on top of him. The americana was never a real threat, if you knew anything about submissions, you'd know that. Not to mention Fedor managed to get out of Mark Hunt's full mount seconds later.

and he started to lose at a point when most fighters are in their prime.

another derp comment, when do you know a fighter has reached his prime? His prime wasn't all those years in Pride, after countless defenses? And that fight against Werdum? He rocked him, chased him to the ground, and got caught in the triangle trying to finish an opponent. He paid the price for it.

Do you remember his camp trying to say that Silva had been using mind control beams?

the fuck does this have to do with anything? How is it any different than Jon Jones believing god helps him win his fights? Religious zealotry helps a fighter mentally, believing they are destined to win the fight. Fedor isn't the first or the last. You're what people call, a hater.

Fedor is a joke that clowned on cans and took fights he knew he would win stylistically. Tell me, how many competent wrestlers with good submissions did he fight? He was a decent fighter in an era where everyone else was terrible and when people started to actually train for MMA in the 2000s he stopped being competitive with the top fighters.

lol how many competent wrestlers with good submission do you know of from that era (I know you didn't watch back then, but still, name some)? Try to name some from the era (don't go looking up fight finder again). Only one comes to my mind, Josh Barnett, and he avoided fighting Fedor like the plague.

In short, STFU for pretending to be a long time fan, and another STFU for being a troll.

Heel

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to admit that throwing somebody a can to thrash for a random fight is different than throwing somebody a can in a tournament...

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to admit that the Japanese fans actually wanted to see a 7-0 Olympic medalist judoka and Japanese Pro Wrestler fight Fedor and there wasn't actually some massive conspiracy afoot to "throw Fedor a can so we can protect his legacy".

You reachin' really hard right now, breh.

you mean like with Chael Sonnen or anyone else who gives Anderson Silva trouble right?

Kind of, except that it's generally easier to figure out what's going on there. Chael Sonnen is a decent striker and probably the best offensive wrestler in the Middleweight division right now, but he is a terrible submission wrestler which is a serious hindrance if he wants to take fights to the ground. He has the tools to beat Silva and you don't get to be an Olympic alternate by being bad, but he will have trouble keeping the belt if he wins.

for a guy who claims to have been a fan since the early days, I've never heard of "Cro-cop"... do you mean Cro cop? Let me guess, you've been an X-box fan your whole life too right?

I'm trying to decide if you're joking or if you're actually that spergy in real life.

No one has EVER said cro cop has an elite ground game. What he does have is excellent striking and good TDD. Another derp.

Right, which is why the point isn't particularly controversial. Fedor lacked an effective submission defense, but Mirko was unable to capitalize on this. What did you think I was saying?

this derpness needs no comment.

The truth hurts, but you need to let it in.

first off, Mark Hunt only got into that position because Fedor threw Hunt to the ground, and they landed sideways, so Mark Hunt used his lovely fat body to roll on top of him. The americana was never a real threat, if you knew anything about submissions, you'd know that. Not to mention Fedor managed to get out of Mark Hunt's full mount seconds later.

I always love it when people go "if you trained". I'm not training now after a chipped tooth from a boxing injury (I need a new mouthguard) but I've fucked up enough Kimuras to know what an Americana is. The fact remains that he allowed himself to be put in a dangerous position and he came out ok due to his opponent's incompetence. That's nothing to be proud of.

another derp comment, when do you know a fighter has reached his prime? His prime wasn't all those years in Pride, after countless defenses? And that fight against Werdum? He rocked him, chased him to the ground, and got caught in the triangle trying to finish an opponent. He paid the price for it.

You don't get "caught" in a triangle, if you trained at all you'd know this. You either fuck up and hand it to them, or they grind you down and force an error. Fedor fucked up and lost because of it.

the fuck does this have to do with anything? How is it any different than Jon Jones believing god helps him win his fights? Religious zealotry helps a fighter mentally, believing they are destined to win the fight. Fedor isn't the first or the last. You're what people call, a hater.

Fedor's people didn't say this because he won a fight.

lol how many competent wrestlers with good submission do you know of from that era (I know you didn't watch back then, but still, name some)? Try to name some from the era (don't go looking up fight finder again). Only one comes to my mind, Josh Barnett, and he avoided fighting Fedor like the plague.

During the earlier run you're right. He didn't retire in 2005 though, and he wasn't rushing to jump into the UFC when it was Cain, Carwin and Lesnar at the top.

In short, STFU for pretending to be a long time fan, and another STFU for being a troll.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by making fun of a fat racist?

You're giving yourself away here. In no rational world was the clash of heads in that fight an intentional headbutt. Fedor was leaping in with a punch as Nog was leaning up from guard.

That one's mostly hyperbole but what can I say. I like making fun of fat racists.

Heel

To get off the endless Fedor discussion that's been reduced to discussing the difference between "Cro-cop" and "Cro cop" plus "caught" and "fuck up and hand it to them", this kind of touches on a broader point in sports.

The greatest always have their detractors (or straight up haters) who try to diminish them when they're on top and in the rear view when they're on the decline. We've seen it in every sport throughout history.

The only surprising thing about this behavior is the length at which people will go to do it in MMA. I mean, we're talking about that time Fedor almost lost in a sport where the greatest to ever do it have lost. That's some next level Haterade if I ever saw it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
My thoughts exactly. Same generic CAF in UFC 3 and Uncle Dana does not like entrance attire on fighters to bring out some personality to the same bland boring Ryan Baders and Jon Fitches of the roster
My CAFs in UFC 3 are more entertaining than everyone from the last two seasons of Ultimate Fighter/Ultimate Fighter Live. I created a Greek God among men who punch-fought all the way to the top. Joe Rogan was touting my one-hit knockout power and how my game had completely changed when I joined AKA. Until Quintin Jackson's avatar was used to pull a Tekken juggle fest and I was stomped into oblivion after three punches. The Yukes team was more EA Sports than they realized.

UFC is going the same route as boxing is now. Within the next 5+ years the entire roster will be filled with generic wrestlers with beards, shitty tattoos and from the mid west while all lacking personality. I have always thought the MMA should look at Wrasslin on ways to grow and not boxing. MMA and wrasslin go hand in hand. Wrasslin fans will migrate to MMA not the boxing fans.
It already is filled with generic guys with shitty tattoos, thanks to the afore-mentioned Ultimate Talent Show genericicity injection. Zuffa has an opportunity to try to bring in the facepaint and promo cutting now to pull it out of the death spiral, but they're going to have a hard time doing it when the only real heels in their organization cannot manage to show up to press conferences without being bribed with weed money.

Top Bottom