• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That one's mostly hyperbole but what can I say. I like making fun of fat racists.
fly_fishing_animated.gif

You seem desperate to pursue this course to discredit the HW GOAT.

Please go on.. tell us really why you hate Fedor

dream

Tito Ortiz will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame on 7/6 in Las Vegas, the day before what is scheduled as his retirement fight with Forrest Griffin.

Ortiz, 37, is the longest reigning heavyweight champion in history, holding the title from 2000, when he beat Wanderlei Silva, to 2003, when he lost to Randy Couture. That record for most title defenses (5) and longest reign (41 months) held up until the Anderson Silva era. His feud with Ken Shamrock was among the greatest in UFC history when it comes to business, even if the three fights were all one-sided wins for him. In 2006, Ortiz, in a loss to Chuck Liddell, became the first non-boxing PPV show ever to break 1 million buys in North America.

Ortiz will have his 27th career UFC fight on 7/7, also a record.

:)

ShaneB

Having 5 fights between 2000-2003 seems absolutely laughable to me for a champion.

I guess it's common for champions to sit around and wait for contenders, but actually realizing stats like that, jesus.

Also.. hahahhahahahahaha at MM delaying the flyweight final.

TheNatural

My Member!
Tito Ortiz will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame on 7/6 in Las Vegas, the day before what is scheduled as his retirement fight with Forrest Griffin.

Ortiz, 37, is the longest reigning heavyweight champion in history, holding the title from 2000, when he beat Wanderlei Silva, to 2003, when he lost to Randy Couture. That record for most title defenses (5) and longest reign (41 months) held up until the Anderson Silva era. His feud with Ken Shamrock was among the greatest in UFC history when it comes to business, even if the three fights were all one-sided wins for him. In 2006, Ortiz, in a loss to Chuck Liddell, became the first non-boxing PPV show ever to break 1 million buys in North America.

Ortiz will have his 27th career UFC fight on 7/7, also a record.

:)

Wheres the rest of wall of text?

Centurion

Banned
Having 5 fights between 2000-2003 seems absolutely laughable to me for a champion.

It makes sense from a financial perspective. The majority of their money comes during their reigns (sponsorship, appearances, bonuses, etc). They're afraid to lose that, so they try to milk it as long as possible.

Tito's reign/record will forever be tainted by ducking Chuck for years though.

dream

I guess it's common for champions to sit around and wait for contenders, but actually realizing stats like that, jesus.

Also.. hahahhahahahahaha at MM delaying the flyweight final.

Well, Tito had a lot of contract issues, ducked Chuck for a bit, and a bunch of "entertainment commitments."

ShaneB

Well it's not so much I meant my comment towards Tito specifically, but it was just a reminder of how little the champions actually fight per year.

dream

You know how NBA people had their floating head avatars? I propose we all stand in solidarity and photoshop flaming beanies onto our avatars on the week of Tito's induction into the Ultimate Hall of Fame.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
You know how NBA people had their floating head avatars? I propose we all stand in solidarity and photoshop flaming beanies onto our avatars on the week of Tito's induction into the Ultimate Hall of Fame.

Cant we just photoshop cracks in the skulls? That would be easier and more symbolic.

Mo Smith on the card? Holy shit.

Tito should be fighting Wand on a double retirement fight. Tito won the belt from him and they can build off that. Nobody asked for Tito vs Forrest.

dream

Dana White told Kevin Iole today the next season of Ultimate Fighter will go back to the previous taped version. White also said in the article at Yahoo.com that if the next season doesn't draw better ratings, FX has promised to move the show in 2013 to Tuesday or Wednesday.

They will begin filming the new season in three weeks and it will debut in September.

TUF is completely unnecessary at this point. IF they are going to keep it, spin it off into a Bellator style tournament and get rid of all the pointless training/coaches shit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dana White told Kevin Iole today the next season of Ultimate Fighter will go back to the previous taped version. White also said in the article at Yahoo.com that if the next season doesn't draw better ratings, FX has promised to move the show in 2013 to Tuesday or Wednesday.

They will begin filming the new season in three weeks and it will debut in September.

lol like that will help. The show is just tired.

Centurion

Banned
The live format was doomed to fail.

Imagine having a tough semifinal fight, it could kill the finale of the show due to injuries. It was the more exciting format but could lead to injured fighters which can't be cleared to fight in time for the finale. I guess they could have a one month gap between the final episode and the finale? But that would sort of drain the suspense/interest in the fight, not to mention the worst case scenario of injuries that could take 3-4 months before being cleared.

Top Bottom