• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck, how long can you guys talk about Fedor??? Who cares!?!?! :(

duty_calls.png

It's better than buyrate talk.

ww goat matt hughes
michaeljordanlaughing.gif

DKehoe

The UFC really should do seminars in which they teach guys how to promote themselves. Bring in old school pro wrestlers like Roddy Piper (who has been advising Chael), Terry Funk and Ric Flair. In fact, Austin and Rock are both big UFC fans so they could quite possibly even get them to talk to the fighters. Can be infuriating just how dull some of them are intent on being.

dream

It's so safe. Everything is so safe. Joe Silva books safe fights where nobody gets too far ahead with a win or falls too far behind with a loss. The fighters fight so safe because they misguidedly believe they're lucky to even be there in the house that Randy, Tito, and Chuck built. They say the safest things because they want to be seen as classy gentlemen worthy of blue chip sponsorships. Everything is just so goddamn safe.

UFC is going the same route as boxing is now. Within the next 5+ years the entire roster will be filled with generic wrestlers with beards, shitty tattoos and from the mid west while all lacking personality. I have always thought the MMA should look at Wrasslin on ways to grow and not boxing. MMA and wrasslin go hand in hand. Wrasslin fans will migrate to MMA not the boxing fans.

Heel

It's so safe. Everything is so safe. Joe Silva books safe fights where nobody gets too far ahead with a win or falls too far behind with a loss. The fighters fight so safe because they misguidedly believe they're lucky to even be there in the house that Randy, Tito, and Chuck built. They say the safest things because they want to be seen as classy gentlemen worthy of blue chip sponsorships. Everything is just so goddamn safe.

Oh, like Shogun vs. Vera? I agree completely.

Something shocking like Sokoudjou / Lil' Nog will never happen in the Ultimate because of this pay your dues mentality. This is a guy who was coming off a loss to Glover in the WEC and became a name in the MMA world overnight.

Bring back some wild west booking. Give somebody a chance. Mark Hunt is a prime example of this shitty UFC mentality.

Oh, like Shogun vs. Vera? I agree completely.

Something shocking like Sokoudjou / Lil' Nog will never happen in the Ultimate because of this pay your dues mentality. This is a guy who was coming off a loss to Glover in the WEC and became a name in the MMA world overnight.

Bring back some wild west booking. Give somebody a chance. Mark Hunt is a prime example of this shitty UFC mentality.

Yeah totally. Also some more catchweight fights would be fun. They are terribly underutilized in the UFC.

yacobod

Banned
i think ultimately it's about the fighters. guys used to have an aura surrounding them, real, manufactured, or otherwise. it used to be an event to watch Chuck Liddel fight, or Wand fight, he was the fucking axe murderer.

i'd pay 100 USD to see a staredown as epic as Crocop vs Wand in the UFC. instead this new breed of fighters would rather hug it out.

DKehoe

Pride was basically booked for free Japanese TV though right? Is a different situation than when you are booking for PPVs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I feel like I'm watching my parents talk about the good old days of 25 cent gas. Nobody cares, you old foggies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i think ultimately it's about the fighters. guys used to have an aura surrounding them, real, manufactured, or otherwise. it used to be an event to watch Chuck Liddel fight, or Wand fight, he was the fucking axe murderer.

i'd pay 100 USD to see a staredown as epic as Crocop vs Wand in the UFC. instead this new breed of fighters would rather hug it out.

You said the 'A' word. I do agree though.

Heel

Sorry, I really can't help myself.

UFC on FX 3 ratings: 1.1 million FX viewers and 84,000 FUEL TV viewers

The complete list of ratings figures for UFC on FX events as compiled by MMAjunkie.com includes:
UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann - 1.4 million viewers
UFC on FX 1: Guillard vs. Miller - 1.3 million viewers
UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall - 1.1 million viewers

And the corresponding ratings figures for FUEL TV's "UFC Prelims" broadcasts include:
UFC on FX 1: Guillard vs. Miller - 148,000 viewers
UFC on FX 2: Alves vs. Kampmann - 113,000 viewers
UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall - 84,000 viewers

This is all Florida's fault.

I've been saying for years that Dana and the current corporate people in place may have taken the UFC as far as they can, but to go beyond that they need to ditch the shitty "Bro/nu-metal/neck tats" embarrassing marketing target and try and reach a bigger demographic. Let a guy come out in pink tights if he wants to. Have bigger entrances and intro music.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've been saying for years that Dana and the current corporate people in place may have taken the UFC as far as they can, but to go beyond that they need to ditch the shitty "Bro/nu-metal/neck tats" embarrassing marketing target and try and reach a bigger demographic. Let a guy come out in pink tights if he wants to. Have bigger entrances and intro music.

This is true Danna's "I'm the king Douche" persona has run its coarse.
I love watching him in UFC 35..so meek and unassuming..now LOL tough guy
http://youtu.be/wh-P0cPWqfA

TheNatural

My Member!

They should have kept just the HBO esque new UFC intro and dropped the end the suffering shit.

Oh and ban all Eminem intros.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Lunatic Fringe and Sandstorm...two greatest walkout songs ever
Well rampages Pride theme walkout in japan was epic too..but the fight.not so much

DKehoe

They should have kept just the HBO esque new UFC intro and dropped the end the suffering shit.

Oh and ban all Eminem intros.

I was so glad when I heard they were getting rid of the gladiator intro since I thought that meant face the pain (easily worse than the Gladiator) was gone too. Sadly it was not to be. It really is embarassing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I was so glad when I heard they were getting rid of the gladiator intro since I thought that meant face the pain (easily worse than the Gladiator) was gone too. Sadly it was not to be. It really is embarassing.

Face the Pain starting up right after the new intro debuted was a classic nerd chat moment.

Dana just needs to ban training for fights. Let guys just show up in whatever shape or weight they are at and duke it out. Ryan Martinez becomes the new GOAT.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dana just needs to ban training for fights. Let guys just show up in whatever shape or weight they are at and duke it out. Ryan Martinez becomes the new GOAT.

Like Ive been saying, if guys fight 4-5 times a year in a semi active state instead of putting on 20 lbs after a fight and then peaking, then less injuries.

I don't like this stuff where we retroactively call everyone a can.
That's why I don't post as often as I used to...thread title gets referenced like 20 times a day and not always in a joking manner.

I was listening to BatB from Friday and TJ De Santis basically admitted he doesn't care about fights like Pyle vs. Neer because they're not in the upper echelon of the division right now and they probably aren't going to be anytime soon. Dude does this for a living and still operates on the unstoppable/can dichotomy.

Yea, best way to put it. I'm done with the Ultimate. They are better at fixing fights than boxing though...

Top Bottom