• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 08

OzDE9SG.jpg
OH2fitn.jpg
1SntFeX.jpg
fmppPIR.png

This show retroactively makes One Punch Man's fight look weak. The raw power that Mob exerts when he's emotionally charged is sublimely conveyed.

FluxWaveZ

Shit just got real in this episode. That was absolutely fantastic; I thought Mob was just an easy analogue to Saitama, so I was surprised to see there was someone who could actually compete against his non-awakened self.

Personally, I think OPM has nothing on this. I liked it, but Mob Psycho 100 is far better and more compelling to me.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows ever.

NEO0MJ

Fuck, this episode was so good. Also, I love how each esper has their own unique aura, except for Ritsu who shares the same aura as his brother.

Shit just got real in this episode. That was absolutely fantastic; I thought Mob was just an easy analogue to Saitama, so I was surprised to see there was someone who could actually compete against his non-awakened self.

That was painful to watch.

I just don't know how Mob Psycho can keep getting better, the characters are well personified, the artwork is amazing and the story is well written. Hopefully the anime goes beyond episode 12 or has a second season.

ONE is without a doubt the Manga industry's top talent.

I just don't know how Mob Psycho can keep getting better, the characters are well personified, the artwork is amazing and the story is well written. Hopefully the anime goes beyond episode 12 or has a second season.

ONE is without a doubt the Manga industry's top talent.

Eh, comically this is a brilliant show and the action and character relations are great but ultimately its mainly a comedy rather than an emotionally drive story. Same with OPM, though I find the narrative to be better here.

A-V-B

Eh, comically this is a brilliant show and the action and character relations are great but ultimately its mainly a comedy rather than an emotionally drive story. Same with OPM, though I find the narrative to be better here.

Hm... I'd argue that this show is free of being defined as solely comedy. It has funny elements, sure, but when it gets down to its fundamental core, the story is serious as fuck. Unless you wanna define it using Shakespeare's terms, that in a non-comedy when everyone fucks up, everyone dies, and in a comedy when everyone fucks up no one dies.

FluxWaveZ

I disagree that Mob Psycho is mainly comedy. I'd say that, while there's a good amount of humour peppered around, fundamentally, a lot of the episodes revolve around thoughtful concepts and problems various characters are dealing with. Even when serious scenes have levity to them, I'd hardly call Mob Psycho 100 a comedy.

Ontoue

Wow, I really shouldn't have stopped reading the manga where I did. Do we know how long this season is going to be?

The show is has comedic bits sure but I believe it's far from being a comedy anime. It has serious bits, MP!00 really goes into Shigeo's emotional struggles. All the characters feel well developed, I empathize with the characters because I'm able to feel some sort of connection to them. Something that other anime or manga's fail to do because how underwhelming the supporting cast can be, new characters are typically brought in as plot devices and nothing more.

Hypron

Absolutely amazing.

Someone should change the thread title to something more eye-catchy like "it's from the same guy as One Punch Man, yo" or something. More people need to watch this shit.

Absolutely amazing.

Someone should change the thread title to something more eye-catchy like "it's from the same guy as One Punch Man, yo" or something. More people need to watch this shit.
I've been recommending this show to all of my friends and all of them fell in love with it! Even those who don't watch anime.
Spread the love, guys.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
The show is has comedic bits sure but I believe it's far from being a comedy anime. It has serious bits, MP!00 really goes into Shigeo's emotional struggles. All the characters feel well developed, I empathize with the characters because I'm able to feel some sort of connection to them. Something that other anime or manga's fail to do because how underwhelming the supporting cast can be, new characters are typically brought in as plot devices and nothing more.

Yep. The fact that Dimple and the blonde kid (forgot the name) are coming back and have pretty well-defined characteristics (well, the blonde-kid kinda changed) is cool, in most anime that would've just been some set-up and the characters would be thrown out quickly after. But we'll see what happens with them later.

One thing that did bother me is the blonde kid knowing about the organization and other espers. In his introduction episode it seemed like he was unaware of any espers, and advertised his abilities quite frequently so it's odd they wouldn't try kidnapping him again.

Absolutely amazing.

I generally don't like to have titles that are "LIKE X MEETS Y" or "THE DARK SOULS OF X" and I opted not to go with the from the makers of OPM thing because then I'd have to clarify "Ok, Madhouse did OPM which was adapted from Murata's manga which is an adaptation of ONE's webcomic and this is Bones doing a different webcomic by ONE that has nothing to do with madhouse, murata or OPM" 100,000 times

Hypron

I generally don't like to have titles that are "LIKE X MEETS Y" or "THE DARK SOULS OF X" and I opted not to go with the from the makers of OPM thing because then I'd have to clarify "Ok, Madhouse did OPM which was adapted from Murata's manga which is an adaptation of ONE's webcomic and this is Bones doing a different webcomic by ONE that has nothing to do with madhouse, murata or OPM" 100,000 times

Yeah, to be honest, I like it as a title, it's a nice pun. But on the other hand, it feels like something maybe a bit worse but more eye catchy could bring more viewers in.

I totally feel like tons more people would enjoy the show since it's very well animated, funny, smart, the characters are great, and the soundtrack is good. It's got all the right elements and we just need people to give it a shot.

Maye someone could make a separate thread with a clickbait title essentially saying "WATCH THIS. NOW.".

I just feel like this thread is not seeing a level of activity proportional to the quality of the show. Some shittastic shows gets page upon pages of comments and here we're struggling to get more than 1 or 2 pages per episode :/

FluxWaveZ

I just feel like this thread is not seeing a level of activity proportional to the quality of the show. Some shittastic shows gets page upon pages of comments and here we're struggling to get 1 page per episode :/

Welcome to the norm, where a show like Kill la Kill manages to be one of the most popular in a season and voted the #1 best anime in our community.

The standout but less conventional shows like a Death Parade, Ping-Pong or Mob Psycho 100 tend to not be as popular as the typical stuff, regardless of their quality. It's a shame.

One thing that did bother me is the blonde kid knowing about the organization and other espers. In his introduction episode it seemed like he was unaware of any espers, and advertised his abilities quite frequently so it's odd they wouldn't try kidnapping him again.

Oh yeah, that bothered me a bit but I didn't really didn't much of it because of how great the episode was overall.

Towards the end of the episode I felt like there was something missing, something that should have been explained because mister cactus head suddenly knew about this secret organization and somehow was able to elude them without them attempting to find him.

Maybe there was something omitted from the manga?

I just feel like this thread is not seeing a level of activity proportional to the quality of the show. Some shittastic shows gets page upon pages of comments and here we're struggling to get more than 1 or 2 pages per episode :/

This anime needs more tiddies, plot information being spoon fed and characters feelings displayed outright to be popular.

Welcome to the norm, where a show like Kill la Kill manages to be one of the most popular in a season and voted the #1 best anime in our community.

Thankfully Kill la Kill wasn't #1 in 2013 or 2014 where it got crushed by Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Ping Pong, far superior shows

Hypron

The standout but less conventional shows like a Death Parade, Ping-Pong or Mob Psycho 100 tend to not be as popular as the typical stuff, regardless of their quality. It's a shame.

Yeah, it makes me sad.

Hell, freaking Berserk is getting more posts than this. But I guess half of them are talking about the manga and the other half is complaining about how bad the show is lol

Kill la Kill is one of those anime that comes up fairly often in lists or threads about good anime and I'm just like "but why?". Like, it's not terrible I guess, but to think it'd that popular...

Edit:

Nevermind I got my answer

anime needs more tiddies, plot information being spoon fed and characters feelings displayed outright to be popular.

This anime needs more tiddies, plot information being spoon fed and characters feelings displayed outright to be popular.

I'm fairly certain the manga is popular in Japan, but not on the same level as OPM. I would attribute MP100's lack of catching on here as having a less immediately intriguing premise, far more inventive art style and character designs and being less about awesome fights.

Yeah, it makes me sad.

Hell, freaking Berserk is getting more posts than this. But I guess half of them are talking about the manga and the other half is complaining about how bad the show is lol

Berserks a known property and has been popular in the West forever so thats not surprising.

FluxWaveZ

Number 1 was Yamato 2199.

Thankfully Kill la Kill wasn't #1 in 2013 or 2014 where it got crushed by Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Ping Pong, far superior shows

You're right. The reception to KlK must have left such a mark on my mind and, frankly, being #2 on that 2013 list is practically the same thing.

I'll be gunning for Mob Psycho 100 in the next one.

Edit: And yes, this show has a distinct lack of fanservice, which naturally hurts its popularity. OPM didn't have that much (though it did have more), but it had the crazy action and very simple story to back it up.

A-V-B

Oh yeah, that bothered me a bit but I didn't really didn't much of it because of how great the episode was overall.

Towards the end of the episode I felt like there was something missing, something that should have been explained because mister cactus head suddenly knew about this secret organization and somehow was able to elude them without them attempting to find him.

Maybe there was something omitted from the manga?

Did I miss a line in the anime? In the "mob wakes up in teru's room" scene from the manga, I believe Teru says Claw once tried to kidnap him, but he kicked their asses, got some info, and then they left him alone.

Hypron

Berserks a known property and has been popular in the West forever so thats not surprising.

Yeah, I'm not surprised this particular one is attracting traffic. It's got the popularity and it's not a good adaptation - it's got everything GAF loves to talk about.

You're right. The reception to KlK must have left such a mark on my mind and, frankly, being #2 on that 2013 list is practically the same thing.

I'll be gunning for Mob Psycho 100 in the next one.

Edit: And yes, this show has a distinct lack of fanservice, which naturally hurts its popularity. OPM didn't have that much (though it did have more), but it had the crazy action and very simple story to back it up.

Yeah, the show is clearly lacking on that respect
(it's a good thing)
. We should have best husbando contests, though. Weeaboos love that, right?

:p

KHlover

Banned
KLK was pretty good...until episode 6 to 8 or so. Then it went downhill FAST.

OT: Best episode of MP100 so far. I think this ep nudged it slightly ahead of 91 Days in my personal AOTS list. Might just be the disappointment about "Episode 7.5" speaking, though.

Apparently Kameda was on MP100 #8. Rewatched the episode in lieu of the missing Danganronpa episode and maaaan its some fantastic stuff. The episode is just a never ending barrage of cool shit. If I wasn't so JoJo biased I'd say this episode put MP100 over JoJo for me...but I'm JoJo biased.

Here
are
some
examples.

This part by here by Yutapon is just absurd. It puts his Concrete Revolutio and One Punch Man parts to shame.

Really this is the best case scenario we could've got when we heard who the staff was on Mob Psycho 100. From the first PV it looked impressive but its blown past that, good shit. Episode of the season?

Chase17

That episode was fantastic! Really loving this show. Also just noticed that Teru's crazy hair is actually in the OP for a second.

Visuals are excellent and the characters+themes have been hitting home as well.

Ascheroth

I said it in the general anime OT already, but One Punch Man has nothing on this show. And I'm saying that as someone who really liked OPM.
God damn, this episode was insanity.

Tizoc

"...but I'm an asshole!"
Now that's a great villain.

Ep. 8 was superb, and Reigan continues to be the best thing in this show.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Is Death Parade really good?

Top Bottom