• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

Tunahead

What I really like about Mob Psycho 100 is that it's a deconstruction of shounen, in a similar way to One Punch Man's deconstruction of super hero comics.

One Punch Man ignores the physical challenges an invincible demigod allegedly faces in favor of mental challenges. Mob Psycho 100 ignores the shounen protagonist's struggle to become better at punching people in favor of focusing on his struggle to actually grow as a person to become strong in the real way.

Mob showed a lot of power when he fought that esper, but he showed a lot more power when he fought Ritsu by being too mature to be a shounen protagonist. When he refused to have a dumb shounen battle with his brother for childish reasons, Ritsu essentially just broke down into a tantrum. I think part of his becoming more frantic as the scene went on was that deep down he realized he was being childish. Mob just completely shut him down and it was great.

Looking forward to Mob and Ritsu's next encounter.

Those dunks were so good.

The frame of two where Mob like was out of the universe for a second during it was even more amazing.

*EDIT* From Tumblr, they ruined the color but the effect is the same:

tumblr_ocompnziFd1uob8tfo6_r1_500.gif

Glad to see we're gonna see Mob tested and questioning when it's right to fight and go all out.

What I really like about Mob Psycho 100 is that it's a deconstruction of shounen, in a similar way to One Punch Man's deconstruction of super hero comics.

One Punch Man ignores the physical challenges an invincible demigod allegedly faces in favor of mental challenges. Mob Psycho 100 ignores the shounen protagonist's struggle to become better at punching people in favor of focusing on his struggle to actually grow as a person to become strong in the real way.

Mob showed a lot of power when he fought that esper, but he showed a lot more power when he fought Ritsu by being too mature to be a shounen protagonist. When he refused to have a dumb shounen battle with his brother for childish reasons, Ritsu essentially just broke down into a tantrum. I think part of his becoming more frantic as the scene went on was that deep down he realized he was being childish. Mob just completely shut him down and it was great.

When mob says that he knows that half of what he said is true I guess it was the part that he feared his brother and that the adoration came from deep seated insecurities and the fear. But in terms of hating his brother that wasn't true, we saw how sad he got when he was begging for the forgiveness of others and when he was getting absolutely wrecked.

Parshias7

Ritsu was pulling a full-on Sasuke heel turn and Mob was all like, "nah."

Usually its pretty annoying to watch exceedingly naive protagonists cling to their morals but Mob I find endearing, like Thorfinn in VInland Saga. Although Thorfinn I wouldn't call naive.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I read some chapters of the ONE manga a while ago and liked it. I need to check the anime out eventually.

Aikidoka

Man, this adaptation is ridiculously good. I really love the manga, but this anime, so far, really elevates it. Hope the entire manga gets animated.

Also, I have to agree that Mob is more interesting than OPM just because themes in MP100 seem to be better/more deeply explored. Which is to be expected, since MP100 is ONE's main series and OPM is just something he puts up every once in a while.

When mob says that he knows that half of what he said is true I guess it was the part that he feared his brother and that the adoration came from deep seated insecurities and the fear. But in terms of hating his brother that wasn't true, we saw how sad he got when he was begging for the forgiveness of others and when he was getting absolutely wrecked.

Essentially Ritsu felt a strong sense of guilt and self-loathing due to his darker feelings towards Mob and his recent actions with the student council. While he did have those fears and insecurities, he was really trying to bait Mob because he felt he didn't deserve the love and admiration Mob directed towards him. He wanted Mob to be alienated, punish him for his actions, and also cement the idea that he was really just a bad person which is why he couldn't help doing bad things with his powers (thus removing his own agency).

Just wanted to chime in to join the love wagon on this show. Episode 8 was just...so good. I was going to write an explanation for why MP100 is so great but then I read this:

Cosigned. Can't wait for next week's episode.

Yonafunu

Finally got around to watching episode 8 and holy shit. That might be the best (action) animation I've seen in an anime in a looong time, probably since OPM episode 12. Did I spot some Yutapon in there, at last?

i liked how it shows how much mob cares about his family he wiling to beg apologize for his brother with no ill will but the second some threatened his brother he barely hesitated it fight back really shows that mob has a real character hidden under his mask and that he becomes alive the most when hes able to use his powers without fear

faridmon

This is on the top of my AOTY list right now, not even Re:Zero is stopping it.

Personally, I find it insulting that RE:Zero is even mentioned in the same bracket as Mob Psycho.

Its not even in the top 5 Anime this season alone, let alone this year.

Qvoth

the thing is, the effects don't really match what mob actually did
like, after giving such cool effects, turns out mob didn't even destroy the whole building? the aftershock only blew out the glasses of 1 other building?

that's what disappointed me, whereas in saitama vs boros, the hits really made huuuuuuuuge impacts to the surroundings (boros' ship, the earth's atmosphere)

Hypron

the thing is, the effects don't really match what mob actually did
like, after giving such cool effects, turns out mob didn't even destroy the whole building? the aftershock only blew out the glasses of 1 other building?

that's what disappointed me, whereas in saitama vs boros, the hits really made huuuuuuuuge impacts to the surroundings (boros' ship, the earth's atmosphere)

Saitama and Boros are both on the planet buster level, of course, they're going to do more damage. You can't really compare that to what's been shown in Mob Psycho 100 so far (idk, maybe it gets really over the top later on though - MANGA PEOPLE, DON'T ANSWER THIS).

It seems like a weird complaint to me... It's like saying that Saitama vs Boros doesn't really make enough impact because at the end of Gurren Lagann they're
throwing galaxies at each other

Qvoth

my point is that the cg (i think?) effects are too awesome for what they actually did, which i feel is a mismatch
maybe they could've toned it down?
anyway it's just my personal opinion

Jasoneyu

The action in eps 8 really stood out to me because it was earned. There was real emotional weight behind his actions and it makes you really root for Mob when his 100%ing all over that dude.

FluxWaveZ

Sorry, totally OT, but did GAF not get a Re:ZERO OT? Can't find anything.

Just asking here 'cause it was discussed previously before in comparison to Mob Psycho. Obviously don't want to go further on the tangent but:
I'm at episode 13. Verdict: not good.

Yeah I'm gonna start looking up those names and seeing their work. I'm getting all kinds of excited at this craft again like I did years ago.

Just asking here 'cause it was discussed previously before in comparison to Mob Psycho. Obviously don't want to go further on the tangent but:
It was around this episode where I started to feel down on it as well. It gets a bit better after that episode if you're still interested. Have yet to watch the last two eps though.

Subitai

It does pick up again by the last 4 eps, but it might not reach the same level of satisfaction for you.
The thing that surprised me the most was finding out how OP the cat spirit turned-out to be.

Kyuur

Yes, this is Yutapon's cut.

Finally got around to watching episode 8 and holy shit. That might be the best (action) animation I've seen in an anime in a looong time, probably since OPM episode 12. Did I spot some Yutapon in there, at last?

Haha, I didn't realize that the 'cubes' were associated with a particular animator. I guess they only really do come out in well animated places so I should have suspected. I love his work so much.

Yonafunu

Haha, I didn't realize that the 'cubes' were associated with a particular animator. I guess they only really do come out in well animated places so I should have suspected. I love his work so much.

Yeah, I think Yutaka Nakamura's work is probably one of the most easily recognisable of any well-known animator, especially for people who watched a lot of (Bones) anime in the mid 2000's with stuff like FMA (at least, that's the case for me). Just watch any Bones series and you'll see him pop up. Aside from the telltale cubes his action choreography and camerawork is very easy to spot.

Top Bottom