• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100

I disagree that Mob Psycho is mainly comedy. I'd say that, while there's a good amount of humour peppered around, fundamentally, a lot of the episodes revolve around thoughtful concepts and problems various characters are dealing with. Even when serious scenes have levity to them, I'd hardly call Mob Psycho 100 a comedy.

While there definitely is focus on particularly Mob's psyche, the dominance of comic scenes is what makes me feel like thats the shows forte.

Thankfully Kill la Kill wasn't #1 in 2013 or 2014 where it got crushed by Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Ping Pong, far superior shows

Yamato 2199 crushing KLK was the best thing to happen for AOTY.

Moaradin

I have no idea how a niche show like Yamato managed to beat a really popular show like Kill la Kill, but I'm glad it did.

Holy shit these last two episodes were goddamn amazing. Best of the show yet.

Also, Reigen coming in to save Mob from the con men felt so nice. It's not a moment you'd expect to enjoy so much, but it does such a damn good job showing that he cares for Mob.

I have no idea how a niche show like Yamato managed to beat a really popular show like Kill la Kill, but I'm glad it did.

Yamato isn't that niche in content, except in that its distribution method caused it to have difficulty gaining visibility outside Japan. It's basically Star Trek.

Sure but most of the time it doesn't. This show will probably be lucky to get into the top 3 this year sadly.

I don't know; I don't think there's too many more popular contenders for 2016 TV anime. My Hero Academia and Re:Zero I guess would be the other broadly popular anime I've noticed. Kabaneri and Erased started out popular, but people lost interest in them as they wore on.

Grexeno

I don't know; I don't think there's too many more popular contenders for 2016 TV anime. My Hero Academia and Re:Zero I guess would be the other broadly popular anime I've noticed. Kabaneri and Erased started out popular, but people lost interest in them as they wore on.
I foresee a top 4 in some order of Rakugo, DiU, Mob Psycho and Re:Zero

Moaradin

I'll be extremely surprised if Re:Zero doesn't win. I mean, I like that show, but there's probably 5 other shows I liked more this year. But nothing that got anywhere near as popular as Re:Zero.

MartyStu

I'll be extremely surprised if Re:Zero doesn't win. I mean, I like that show, but there's probably 5 other shows I liked more this year. But nothing that got anywhere near as popular as Re:Zero.

Should I be watching Re:Zero? Been out of the Anime loop all year.

FluxWaveZ

I've heard a lot about Re:Zero, so I guess I'll check it out sooner than later.

popularity is boosted a lot by basically being a fantasy about a normal dude whisked away into a world of waifus rather than being that interesting.

...*sigh*

'Course. I was originally gonna write some snide remark at the end of the original post but I figured that'd be too cynical. Well, I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's... okay? I started watching it only because of how popular it seemed. I feel like its popularity is boosted a lot by basically being a fantasy about a normal dude whisked away into a world of waifus rather than being that interesting.

Chase17

I started watching it after seeing a lot of positive reaction to it. Was not a fan at all after watching a good chunk of the season, although I won't get into why due to spoilers. However, it seems that many do enjoy it so I may be in the minority here.

Moaradin

I think Re:Zero is very good. It's well executed and if one trapped in another world Light Novel is gonna get popular, I'm glad it's that one.

But there's no doubt it wouldn't be nearly as popular if it didn't have tons of waifu characters to drool over lol

Re:Zero is far more interesting then something like Sword Art Online, but not interesting enough for me to watch all the way through and get invested enough in to wait forever for continuations. It ran into the Attack on Titan problem where nothing got resolved and more and more mysteries got piled up as a distraction, and that never ends up satisfying (FUCKING LOST)

I really can't wait for the claw arc finale (I imagine that'll be done as the climax of the next cour) to be animated. Should be incredible

Mob Psycho 108 Dalmatians

jgCTRnq.gif
jgCTRnq.gif
jgCTRnq.gif

BONES

BONES

BONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
K1DKT8w.jpg

Moaradin

Zero²;215386456 said:
I'm more interest in the arc before it, personally way more intense for mob I think.

The arc that starts right after the anime ends is my favorite. The anime would do such an amazing job with it. This NEEDS a second season.

A-V-B

Zero²;215386456 said:
I'm more interest in the arc before it, personally way more intense for mob I think.

very light post-season 1
Same here. That was the most incredible part of the manga. It takes Mob deep down into hell and pulls him back out again. I was excited like you could not believe after that was over, knowing how unbelievable season 2 was going to be with that in it.

Moaradin

Jesus, I wonder if they went all out in this fight scene because by the end of this season no other fight comes near so they had to

Anything is on the table with Bones. If you told me that this fight would be better than the Teruki one based on the manga version, I wouldn't believe you.

sonicmj1

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. Man, am I thrilled with how it's been turning out.

This episode might be the most spectacular yet, with the most intense and technically marvelous animated fight between superpowered beings since... Birdy? At the very least, it certainly rivals the spectacular setpiece at the end of One Punch Man. But it's not merely a series of impressive fights. Mob Psycho 100 has surpassed its rival ONE adaptation by being a real story, about adolescence, the emotions we keep hidden inside, the struggle to be true to oneself in the face of the apparent superiority of others.

Mob Psycho expresses itself in pretty much every frame, using any animation technique available to push its story forward. When I look back on this show, I'm not just going to remember the fights. I'll remember Onigawara being erased in shame by his classmates' taunts in a blur of oil-on-glass smudges, the student council president being literally dwarfed and hounded by the presence of his successful older brother, Mob tainted with shadow by the realization that his brother had always feared him. This show rarely wastes an opportunity to show what it might otherwise just be telling.

Thanks to ONE's diverse, exaggerated character designs, as well as BONES's sharp attention to detail in every aspect of production, Mob Psycho 100 has built a surprisingly large cast of well-defined characters I like spending time with, and a tale of personal discovery I'm thrilled to see through. It's the obvious frontrunner, in my mind, for Anime of the Year. Nothing else has been in its orbit of quality so far since Ping Pong.

kurahador

My god, this episode made me think less about One Punch Man as a concept.
What an amazing series this has been and it's about to get crazier it seems.

StoneFox

Just started watching this anime this past week and I had no idea going in that it would be this entertaining and with such amazing animation! :O

Mob Psycho 100 for AotY.

jstripes

Banned
I keep being impressed.

This week's episode was hype as fuck.

I love shows that know when and how to drive that intensity.

Plus, the OP is one of the best I've seen recently.

Tuck

Holy shit what an episode!

We are nearing One Punch Man level of greatness here.

The animation was fantastic.

In terms of animation, pretty sure we're past OPM now lol.

I wasn't feeling Mob Psycho at first but its grown on me big time.

ONE is probably my favourite manga creator in the industry right now.

Top Bottom