• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

W1SSY said:
I tried to do the hot lap and was easily outpaced by the guy that has the best time. That same thing happens when racing online with some people, I just have almost no chance against them and I don't know what I have wrong. Is it better to set the car for top speed over acceleration?
Yes. Set the speed to +2. I also set drift to +2. It gives you better handling during drifts, which can really boost your average speed, if you're good at it. The thing about the hot lap, is that the best time is almost guaranteed to be a near-perfect lap. One small wall bump could cost you 7 seconds, since it takes a while to accelerate back up to top speed. Even if you race a clean lap, never letting up on the accelerator, you still need to follow an optimal racing line, and even the angle of exit out of a drift makes a difference. You can't pop-out of a hard drift turn at full speed, like in Mario Kart. I did over 100 laps on my last hot lap run, and the best I could muster was 4 sec behind the leader.

Tiktaalik

Purist said:
This, and also drop bombs, by holding square and then letting go. Works for any weapon, which is great when you're in the lead. I swear I think this one guy I pwned 5 times must've thought I had something against him.

The other thing about dropping bombs is that when you get kills you'll gain meter, which will allow you to do a bit of boosting while still keeping a reserve of meter for shield. Laying down bombs at key choke points where you'll get near guaranteed hits is a key strategy while being in first place.

expy

Banned
Shana (not yet published)
(from Shakugan no Shana)

5drupz.jpg

e1c01u.jpg

MattNY

peull said:
After some experimentations, I decided to make a MOD based of Montreal Canadiens hockey team. Here it is :

ya.jpg

It is called canadiens Montréal for those who wants it (can't be remixed though)
I'm loving this game!

PS (Pour ceux qui parlent français et qui ont un micro, PM moi pour que l'on s'échange nos PSNID)

That is awesome. :D

Eteric Rice

I'm getting kind of pissed.

Whenever I try to update the game so I can play online, it kills my internet. I mean it quite literally kills my internet. As soon as I try to download it, when I try to surf the net I get "PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED," and it won't come back until a few seconds after I turn my PS3 off.

What the fuck is this shit? Anyone have any ideas? I have a Linysys WRT54GS

Other than that its a great game, I just wish it'd let me fucking play online. :(

Hypereides

Gold Member
Wow, while browsing people's creations, Ive seen alot of players steal each others stuff as mentioned. Its pretty ridiculously stupid how they dont even do any effort in creating stuff.

So I've been working hard on my first track, it's not yet finished and still needs a lot of work and tweaking here and there but I thought I might show some screens of it in the meantime.

Tentatively calling it Tropical Ruins:

ogfgpe.jpg

333yj4o.jpg

r8s655.jpg

2j2jjop.jpg

5khydj.jpg

2nk2zpc.jpg

2jb4h6v.jpg

I've pretty much used up all of my track budget so as you'd expect it's a long track, which is part of the reason it's taking me so long to finish it. I've almost used up all of the brush/prop budget too and there's tons of places I can improve the look...so it will be coming down to the wire to get the level of quality prop/terrain wise consistent looking but I'm almost done. I tried to put a lot of different breadcrums and branching tracks wherever I could, so hopefully it works out and is fun to play while being balanced.

CzarTim

Posting for new page:

In creation mode, how do you make it so there is no track? Like for big jumps and moving platforms.

Also in creation mode, how do you make a really wide off-road section? I know how to widen tracks, but sometimes I see really wide areas that appear to not be part of the main track.

czartim said:
Posting for new page:

In creation mode, how do you make it so there is no track? Like for big jumps and moving platforms.

Also in creation mode, how do you make a really wide off-road section? I know how to widen tracks, but sometimes I see really wide areas that appear to not be part of the main track.

You have to go to mod track > track styles (race styles? I forgot what it's called...) and then you can highlight the track you want to "delete" with the triangle button. After you do that, the track wireframe will remain in the editor but the carts will drive over whatever terrain you have underneath the invisible track.

And that's also basically how you make really wide off-road sections as well. You can make them even wider than the track would allow by stacking breadcrumb paths on the sides to allow players to go there without resetting.

On one of the loading screen tips a few days ago I saw it say something about moving the location of the start/finish line but I can't remember how to do it, can anyone enlighten me?

MisterAnderson said:
On one of the loading screen tips a few days ago I saw it say something about moving the location of the start/finish line but I can't remember how to do it, can anyone enlighten me?

Go into place props > place along track, then switch to select props. It'll let you select and then move the starting line.

Purist

Neo Member
MisterAnderson said:
So I've been working hard on my first track, it's not yet finished and still needs a lot of work and tweaking here and there but I thought I might show some screens of it in the meantime.

Tentatively calling it Tropical Ruins

Really nice work here. Looks like there's lots of options as far as pathways, and you have an eye for capturing the subtleties of the track with the camera. Let us know when it gets published.

John

peull said:
After some experimentations, I decided to make a MOD based of Montreal Canadiens hockey team. Here it is :

ya.jpg

It is called canadiens Montréal for those who wants it (can't be remixed though)
I'm loving this game!

PS (Pour ceux qui parlent français et qui ont un micro, PM moi pour que l'on s'échange nos PSNID)
Looks great. How'd you get that hair? Whenever I try something like that I run out of memory.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Is there any way to change the controls? I've had a look but couldn't see any obvious way. I would to set 'drift' to the Left Trigger and the boost button to 'X'.

Nyx

Ainigma said:
Is there any way to change the controls? I've had a look but couldn't see any obvious way. I would to set 'drift' to the Left Trigger and the boost button to 'X'.

No there isn't unfortunately.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Nyx said:
No there isn't unfortunately.

Thanks. Is there any way to improve the controls of the Karts, sometimes they just seem to bounce all over the place, part of it is me I know, but coming out of corners after drifting doesn't seem easy.

Nyx

Ainigma said:
Thanks. Is there any way to improve the controls of the Karts, sometimes they just seem to bounce all over the place, part of it is me I know, but coming out of corners after drifting doesn't seem easy.

You can get more control by double-tapping X when coming out of a drift.

No45

Nyx said:
Didn't know that. I've been using a quick stab on the boost to straighten up when coming out of tight bends.

Nyx

No45 said:
Didn't know that. I've been using a quick stab on the boost to straighten up when coming out of tight bends.

I found out late too, it was a hint in one of the many loading screens. :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Played the demo last night from PSN. It was fun, but the load times are horrible!!! Did they fix this at all for the full game?

There's a patch coming soon to reduce loading times.

Also, take this as a rumor until confirmed, but I'm reading on several sites this morning that they are supposedly removing the region lock for online play with the same patch due to sheer community backlash. The patch is also supposed to address online matchmaking and disconnect issues.

Modnation loads so much because of how it builds and renders tracks (and mods) when loading a new game. It's kind of understandable, but everyone is hoping they've found a way to improve their rendering scheme so that the patch knocks a significant chunk out of the loading.

W1SSY

I have been loving this game so far. The challenges are not easy and the races are already becoming difficult to get first in, and I am just in the second set. I do not find the load times to be bad, but that is because I am always doing something else and not paying attention to the loads. I am Really glad I picked this up.

No45

Nyx said:
I found out late too, it was a hint in one of the many loading screens. :D
The game just keeps on giving me new things to play around with, it really is fantastic.

Kaijima said:

Also, take this as a rumor until confirmed, but I'm reading on several sites this morning that they are supposedly removing the region lock for online play with the same patch due to sheer community backlash. The patch is also supposed to address online matchmaking and disconnect issues.

Modnation loads so much because of how it builds and renders tracks (and mods) when loading a new game. It's kind of understandable, but everyone is hoping they've found a way to improve their rendering scheme so that the patch knocks a significant chunk out of the loading.
If they can cut the loading down and fix some of the issues people are having with online (I still haven't taken it online yet) then I can't think of many games that will knock this from my GOTY slot.

W1SSY said:
I have been loving this game so far. The challenges are not easy and the races are already becoming difficult to get first in, and I am just in the second set. I do not find the load times to be bad, but that is because I am always doing something else and not paying attention to the loads. I am Really glad I picked this up.
It just keeps on getting harder. It'll seem frustratingly so, but after a while you'll be able to come back to those tracks you're playing now and finish first without breaking a sweat.

Purist said:
Really nice work here. Looks like there's lots of options as far as pathways, and you have an eye for capturing the subtleties of the track with the camera. Let us know when it gets published.

Thanks man, and will do. A quick question about publishing though; if I publish and then make a tweak or update to the track and publish again, will it publish over the existing publish and keep all download stats and such like LBP? Or not? Furthermore anyone who has already downloaded my track I'm guessing would need to download it again since unlike LBP the levels actually are downloaded and not streamed?

peull

John said:
Looks great. How'd you get that hair? Whenever I try something like that I run out of memory.

I didn't made it. You get it from one of the challenges in career mode, I just changed the color

No45 said:
Nyx said:
I've been doing the same thing as No45, though you still lose a lot of speed, even with boost. This little tip will have a huge effect on my racing, if it allows you to come out of drifts at full speed, a la Super Mario Kart.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Kaijima said:

Ok that's awesome to hear then. I'll keep lurking here and see how the load times look after the patch comes out. I have plenty to play right now so its actually good that i will wait on this...:lol

Eteric Rice

I hope it's true, the loading times are the only real issue I have with the game.

That an the sort of annoying lag in the hub area.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Eteric Rice said:
I hope it's true, the loading times are the only real issue I have with the game.

That an the sort of annoying lag in the hub area.

The loading is not that bad after a while, if they made the hub optional it would go a long way for me. I hate loading the game, then it says press Start, only to be greeted by another load into the hub where I am for 5 seconds before I jump into create, race or career.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Working on a Duke Nukem mod, here's a preview of the WIP:

jheibs.jpg

m9vgjm.jpg

23ifq6u.jpg

Im doing the best I can with what I have so far. I still have yet to polish off the details, Im also working on a fitting car for the duke.

American Air Raid code = DJCP-QGBB-TPRP

If anyone has an extra european Air raid code would greatly appreciate it, no idea why the american site sent me one and the european one didn't...

Branson

highluxury said:
Working on a Duke Nukem mod, here's a preview of the WIP:

Im doing the best I can with what I have so far. I still have yet to polish off the details, Im also working on a fitting car for the duke.

Well damn. Now I'm Going to have to unpublish my Duke mod from the downloads cuz this just kills my Duke. :lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm trying complete the 4k wall ride challenge and it's definitely being a pain. Does anyone know if you get more points the higher up the wall you go? I always seem to complete it at the 2.5 lap mark but I'm always coming in second. If I could complete it sooner, I could concentrate on trying for faster laps.

So much fun!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Since I have almost nothing unlocked, my first creations are basic as can be haha. I still love it tho!

ModNationRacers.jpg

with the "tree" Kart and all!!:lol

princess-mononoke-9.jpg

expy

Banned
About time I made a mod to honor my favorite team!

Here's a random mod (named it after myself) with a Reebok Edge Montreal Canadiens HOME jersey equipped. It isn't locked, so it can be downloaded and modified (change the name, numbers, or whatever). Will be doing an AWAY version of the jersey as well!

Expy Habs Jersey

qn2q9h.jpg

vzjyjd.jpg

Amneisac

I've been looking for something fun to play with the wife. We have Mario Kart, just got it actually, and we're enjoying it, but we're a little sick of the horrible rubberbanding, constant barrage of blue shells and crap and the lack of two player GP racing.

Does Modnation Racers have a two player story-ish mode? Basically the equivalent of 2 player GP?

Also, is the difficulty 'organic' or is it just a bunch of the AI teaming up on you and rubberbanding?

JoNike

Neo Member
Dude, thank you so much!:) I'm sure gonna get this later! You'll get a download and a 5 stars from me;) You'll see a 13, Cammy running around soon!:)

expy

Banned
JoNike said:
Dude, thank you so much!:) I'm sure gonna get this later! You'll get a download and a 5 stars from me;) You'll see a 13, Cammy running around soon!:)

For the lettering, use the first set of letters, but skew them to the left slightly to remove the tilt. For the numbers, use the 3rd set of numbers.

Can anyone confirm with me how publishing works in this game? As in, if I want to publish my incomplete level just to show someone, but can I publish it locked? (like in LBP) And say I publish a public level, if I make changes and republish over it, will that make a new slot or will it keep all the download stats and such (like LBP)?

Top Bottom