• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

vellex

Neo Member
Here's my Wakka from Final Fantasy X mod:

modnationracers2.jpg

modnationracers1e.jpg

modnationracersf.jpg

At first I was loving the track editor. That is until I realized how fucking awful the undo system is. Once you "exit" the specific category you're editing (as in, if you decide to test drive the track or something) you can no longer undo jack shit. I've wasted so much fucking time redoing entire sections of my track because of this complete oversight.

I am really not crazy about the online portion. I have yet to get into an XP game. I choose that option and I enter some lobby with the host and wait, and wait, and wait. I just do not have patience for this shit as I have to work in the morning. So then to actually get some races in I join a casual race - and that works very well except all the hosts are doing is selecting tracks he and his buddies have made. And most of these tracks suck! Just give me a lobby with eight or ten other racers and a series of five or six tracks for us to race on.

Crisis

Banned
If I get disconnected from the servers while I'm in the middle of a race again I may trade this fucking game in. I am beyond tired of this shit.

Hypereides

Gold Member
~ Zyzomys ~ said:
I am really not crazy about the online portion. I have yet to get into an XP game. I choose that option and I enter some lobby with the host and wait, and wait, and wait. I just do not have patience for this shit as I have to work in the morning. So then to actually get some races in I join a casual race - and that works very well except all the hosts are doing is selecting tracks he and his buddies have made. And most of these tracks suck! Just give me a lobby with eight or ten other racers and a series of five or six tracks for us to race on.

Thats wierd.... I just 10 XP races & series in row something. European region though. It kinda sucks how its region locked. I got friends on my buddy list that want to buy the game but the region locks puts them off.

I think you just gotta be patient, it can take a little while but people eventually join up.

Also, I just won my first XP series! :D

EDIT: Sounds like you North American dudes are having quite alot of trouble server side :/

KaYotiX

Banned
Rented it and I loved the creativity ad everything you can make but the online just has so many problems.....especially after playing games like Blur and split/second

CzarTim

I usually have to wait ten to fifteen minutes for XP races. Luckily my PC is right next to my PS3, so I just surf GAF while I wait.

depward

How to join XP races:

1) Make sure you're connected to the servers. If not, push start and connect online (bottom right option)

2) WAIT about 10 seconds when it connects

3) Go to XP race. Now, it's very important that it says "joining an XP race" (or something to that effect, I'm not sitting in front of it right now) and NOT "starting an XP race". You ALWAYS want to join.

4) If it says "starting an XP race", it's probably because you went offline when you tried to join, and that's why you're sitting in the lobby by yourself for 15 mins. Cancel out if you see "starting" and you will ALWAYS see that you'll be offline. Connect online and wait about 10 seconds and start @ #2 again.

This method has served me very well (NA servers).

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just picked this up. Can't wait to start creating some stuff. I'm thinking mascots of my favorite teams complete with karts with logos. I did so much stuff in forza, I hope it's kinda like that. Lol

Haven't had any of the online issues people are talking about. Got the game on NA release date, and between my little brother and I there has been a grand total of one random disconnect, which happened while in the modspot. Getting XP races hasn't been difficult at all either. We're on a pretty standard Mediacom cable internet connection, and the PS3 is connected wirelessly.

Don't really know what to say. Unfortunately I don't know much about networking, but seeing if you can optimize the settings on your router and PS3 can't hurt. Things like that can definitely be contributing to the random disconnects and difficulties finding an XP race.

HappyBivouac said:
Haven't had any of the online issues people are talking about. Got the game on NA release date, and between my little brother and I there has been a grand total of one random disconnect, which happened while in the modspot. Getting XP races hasn't been difficult at all either. We're on a pretty standard Mediacom cable internet connection, and the PS3 is connected wirelessly.

Don't really know what to say. Unfortunately I don't know much about networking, but seeing if you can optimize the settings on your router and PS3 can't hurt. Things like that can definitely be contributing to the random disconnects and difficulties finding an XP race.

I bought the game today and i haven't had any issue whatsoever.

CzarTim

depward said:
How to join XP races:

1) Make sure you're connected to the servers. If not, push start and connect online (bottom right option)

3) Go to XP race. Now, it's very important that it says "joining an XP race" (or something to that effect, I'm not sitting in front of it right now) and NOT "starting an XP race". You ALWAYS want to join.

4) If it says "starting an XP race", it's probably because you went offline when you tried to join, and that's why you're sitting in the lobby by yourself for 15 mins. Cancel out if you see "starting" and you will ALWAYS see that you'll be offline. Connect online and wait about 10 seconds and start @ #2 again.

The problem (for me, at least) is that I'll join a game with another person, and then wait ten minutes for the other two people to show up. Meanwhile, if I were to keep backing out and joining XP races, I would be put into different matches with only one person waiting. The game needs to do a better job of making sure each race has 12 people before creating a new one.

Though another issue I have is that sometimes when I join a match that already has 4+ people, it acts like they all leave once I enter so I'm left alone.

Crisis

Banned
The issues mentioned above this post go for me as well. However my biggest gripe is that I will be right in the middle of an online race and the game will lose connection to the servers. Screwing me out of winning two races now, including one where I was on the home stretch to winning and one where I was about to take a shortcut and most likely win. And additionally in the middle of an XP series, costing me all the XP I had earned up to that point.

W1SSY

I just spent a good hour or so working on a car for V from V for Vendetta. I will post the pics in a bit. Also worked on making V but I need better hair and need to figure out how to make his hat.
ModNationRacers-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_2-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_1.jpg

CzarTim

A few quick questions:

How do you "drop" weapons? I see people leave behind sonic weapons sometimes as a trap.

In creation mode, how do you make it so there is no track? Like for big jumps and moving platforms.

Also in creation mode, how do you make a really wide off-road section? I know how to widen tracks, but sometimes I see really wide areas that appear to not be part of the main track.

rc213

czartim said:
A few quick questions:

How do you "drop" weapons? I see people leave behind sonic weapons sometimes as a trap.

In creation mode, how do you make it so there is no track? Like for big jumps and moving platforms.

Also in creation mode, how do you make a really wide off-road section? I know how to widen tracks, but sometimes I see really wide areas that appear to not be part of the main track.

To drop or shoot backwards you Hold Square instead of tapping it.

agaru said:
Air Raid code:

P4K2-4PB5-6EQB
Thank you, kindly. It still worked for me.

Well, I've been playing this game for a few days, and have gotten as far as Rumble Jungle in the last tour of career mode. I share the majority of players' gripes about the loading times, and long waits for online races. Aside from that, though, the game is amazing. I'm loving every aspect of it, from racing, to creating mods/karts, to the cutscenes and pre-race showdowns in career mode. The only thing I haven't put a lot of time in, yet, is creating tracks.

caligula13

Gold Member
bought the ps3 yesterday with this game. not really because i wanted this game, it was the only available bundle. but i knew that the game was good. played only for a few minutes. one online battle, was a little bit laggy. i have to get used to the controls, have been playing mario kart wii for too long

In track creation, is there any way to relocate the start/finish line after you've already laid your track?

There are a few completely horrible oversights in the track creator, most of which I'm willing to forgive due to the sheer amount of stuff that is possible with the tool. Hopefully there's a way to do this, though.

No45

Baki said:
Got the game today. Downloaded a new patch (1.01). Is this the loading patch?
No, that was a day one patch that I'm not sure we ever saw release notes for.

I can't get enough of this game. It's telling how good the track design is when after about twenty attempts trying to complete various challenges on Drift Paradise last night, it's now my favourite tracks in any racing game ever. Every new lap should have added to my frustration, but as it is all it did was force me to get better and better each time until I got to the point that I could reliably perfect the course every time - and I loved every moment of it.

I'd be 100% happy with my investment on this game if it were JUST the single player. Still working my way through the unlocks (I have 100% up to I think the second race in the Grim Tour) at the moment, then I'll hopefully spend some time with the online and creation.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think it was such a horrible mistake tying all the unlocks to single player Career Mode. There should have been a way to get unlocks in multiplayer.

No45

Bamelin said:
I think it was such a horrible mistake tying all the unlocks to single player Career Mode. There should have been a way to get unlocks in multiplayer.
I wonder if they might allow people to get all of that stuff through a purchasable unlock on the store? Makes sense, there are a lot of people that seem to be more interested in the create mode than either the SP or the MP.

The problem (for me, at least) is that I'll join a game with another person, and then wait ten minutes for the other two people to show up. Meanwhile, if I were to keep backing out and joining XP races, I would be put into different matches with only one person waiting.
This is exactly what happens to me. Frustrating. I have no other problems. I can race Casual Races all night and never see a disconnect, voice chat works, ... etc. Just cannot seem to find a XP Race that has more than one other person in it. After waiting around for 5-minutes I try again to find another XP race! After three attempts I switch to Casual for the rest of the evening.
The game needs to do a better job of making sure each race has 12 people before creating a new one.
Agree!

Just made my Parappa the Rapper (sure he's been done... but I think mines the best) and his car. Car isn't finished yet but it gives you most of an idea. What you guys think?

344f7dy.jpg

Purist

Neo Member
depward said:
How to join XP races:

This sounds like it might work. I've found that once you finish an XP race, the game does a better job of signing you up to the next one, with a group of players already in there. So it's a matter of getting that one race to kick it off and the re-joining the next one.

While I am waiting for a race to fill up or start, I:

1) Chat in the lobby

2) Check out and download the creations of other players in the lobby

3) Invite and Chat in an XMB chat room

I have found ways to keep me busy while those races start.

I use the Casual Races to promote my own tracks, but I have relied on friends to tell me what tracks are cool. I think they need to add a category like "Popular New Tracks" for new tracks that have been played a lot in the last couple days.

spats

Katana_Strikes said:
Just made my Parappa the Rapper (sure he's been done... but I think mines the best) and his car. Car isn't finished yet but it gives you most of an idea. What you guys think?

Great work, that looks wonderful!

Purist

Neo Member
MisterAnderson said:
At first I was loving the track editor. That is until I realized how fucking awful the undo system is. Once you "exit" the specific category you're editing (as in, if you decide to test drive the track or something) you can no longer undo jack shit. I've wasted so much fucking time redoing entire sections of my track because of this complete oversight.

The risk is that you might undo something you totally did not mean to undo (if you navigate away from the editor and forget about where you left off). But you can always place cursors over items and remove/edit them, and hitting D-pad right/left on an item will cycle through the various instances of that item so you can find it quickly.

vellex said:
Here's my Wakka from Final Fantasy X mod:

That is seriously awesome dude. Love the details.

Some really great stuff people have made. Very creative. I think the Drakes, Clanks, Kratos etc that have been made are better than the official ones.

I made a daft Patapon and Locoroco heads inspired by the Kirby one someone made. Problem is I also have to make a car to match now :(

It's kinda weird actually driving around as these characters. Playing a track with my Parappa almost felt like I was playing a Sony Kart game.

W1SSY

I find myself spending more time creating and tweaking my mods compared to actual racing. This is what I have created so far, it is my second attempt. I am slightly disappointed I can't add a cape. I couldn't find the right hair so I used odds and ends to attach mustaches around the hat to make it the way it is now. I also added stickers on the front that look like daggers but you really do not see them when he is in the car. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
ModNationRacers_3.jpg

No45

There's definitely at least one cape in the game, although it's very short (Maybe so it doesn't get caught in the engines?).

Looks great, although it's hard to see too much in that shot.

Adamm

Ok - am i missing something about this game?

No matter how good i drive (taking shortcuts, drifting, boosting etc..) i will always get blown up about 5 seconds before the end of the race and drop about 5 places.

Is it possible to build upa decent lead in this game? or is the AI always right up behind you?
It has to be one of the most frustrating games ive played in along time

Or am I just rubbish at this game? :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Adamm said:

No matter how good i drive (taking shortcuts, drifting, boosting etc..) i will always get blown up about 5 seconds before the end of the race and drop about 5 places.

Is it possible to build upa decent lead in this game? or is the AI always right up behind you?

You can build up leads.

I have been 5-6 seconds ahead before at the end. And I also have been able to catch up to AI who is 5-6 seconds ahead, so the way I can catch them is the way they can catch me. The worst is being stuck in the midpack with 5-6 other AIs blowing the crap out of you when you are trying to make up a 5-6 second deficit to the leader.

Now I understand why other kart games have been easier for me in the past, there were not as many racers around all with weapons and all trying to win.

I still don't agree to having tied all the bits and pieces to all the challenges. Some of them are very difficult and when winning the race is tough enough by itself adding some weird tough challenge on top of it makes it that much tougher.

W1SSY

No45 said:
There's definitely at least one cape in the game, although it's very short (Maybe so it doesn't get caught in the engines?).

Looks great, although it's hard to see too much in that shot.

I still need yo unlock it then because sadly I don't have it. I will take some better shots and post it later hopefully after I get the cape.

r.gun

Neo Member
Adamm said:

I've always found one simple rule works for me in MNR - if you're in the lead don't boost! Keep that boost meter full so that you can block any incoming attacks during the last lap!

peull

After some experimentations, I decided to make a MOD based of Montreal Canadiens hockey team. Here it is :

ya.jpg

It is called canadiens Montréal for those who wants it (can't be remixed though)
I'm loving this game!

PS (Pour ceux qui parlent français et qui ont un micro, PM moi pour que l'on s'échange nos PSNID)

The game definitely takes a lot of practice, especially if you're aiming to get the challenges done. I'm the kind of gamer that loves to be forced to retry something a bazillion times until I'm completely awesome at it. That way that when I finally beat whatever it is I've been trying for I get a fully satisfying "fuck yeah" moment. That's what the single player challenges boil down to in this.

No45

CryptiK said:
finally completed that no walls for 3 laps challenge that challenge is complete ass balls.
That's the Craggy Hills one right? It's funny, I managed that on my second proper attempt, but outscoring that fucker for the grudge match afterwards took me 10+ attempts. >_<

HappyBivouac said:
The game definitely takes a lot of practice, especially if you're aiming to get the challenges done. I'm the kind of gamer that loves to be forced to retry something a bazillion times until I'm completely awesome at it. That way that when I finally beat whatever it is I've been trying for I get a fully satisfying "fuck yeah" moment. That's what the single player challenges boil down to in this.
I get that feeling time and time again from this game, it's amazing.

Purist

Neo Member
r.gun said:
I've always found one simple rule works for me in MNR - if you're in the lead don't boost! Keep that boost meter full so that you can block any incoming attacks during the last lap!

This, and also drop bombs, by holding square and then letting go. Works for any weapon, which is great when you're in the lead. I swear I think this one guy I pwned 5 times must've thought I had something against him.

W1SSY

I tried to do the hot lap and was easily outpaced by the guy that has the best time. That same thing happens when racing online with some people, I just have almost no chance against them and I don't know what I have wrong. Is it better to set the car for top speed over acceleration?

No45

Purist said:
This, and also drop bombs, by holding square and then letting go. Works for any weapon, which is great when you're in the lead. I swear I think this one guy I pwned 5 times must've thought I had something against him.
The bombs are also the best way of getting the positional take-down challenge requirements (i.e. Take down three dudes on the bridge, take down named dude on the cliff side etc.).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
W1SSY said:
I tried to do the hot lap and was easily outpaced by the guy that has the best time. That same thing happens when racing online with some people, I just have almost no chance against them and I don't know what I have wrong. Is it better to set the car for top speed over acceleration?

Yes. I was having problems beating the career mode with default settings. Then I increased speed to the max and won every single race no prob.

Top Bottom