• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

Mobius 1

Trin3785 said:
Since I have almost nothing unlocked, my first creations are basic as can be haha. I still love it tho!

ModNationRacers.jpg

with the "tree" Kart and all!!:lol

princess-mononoke-9.jpg

I just wanted to say, this is brilliant. I think you convinced me to get the game now. :lol

No45

George Claw M.D. said:
2) I hate that you can't customize the controls. It limits my ability to use all the buttons, in the most effective manner. For example, I'm constantly drifting whenever I can, which makes it hard to swipe opponents, fire weapons, or use my shield, since it requires me to release the drift button. Sometimes, I'll be sliding right alongside another kart, and I can't swipe them, since my right thumb is stuck holding the drift. Mapping the drift function to a shoulder button would fix that. Another example, is I'll be performing an air spin, and a weapon starts homing-in on me, mid-spin. I release the right stick, to activate my shield, and I end up not completing the spin, and land backwards or worse. Mapping the shield function to a shoulder button would fix that, too.
Agreed. Shield on R1 would be fantastic.

expy

Banned
No45 said:
Agreed. Shield on R1 would be fantastic.
Then again, everybody has the same handicap. Controls go for everyone, nobody has the advantage over the other... part from getting used to it faster.

No45

When you're mid drift through it really is difficult to roll your finger from X over to O. Unless... you do have to HOLD X while drifting, right?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Man I got owned over and over on the desert track (3-1?). Getting blasted from 2nd to 6th on the last lap sucks. They need to turn aggression of the other drivers down, they seem to go after you more then themselves. I finally realized you can boost off the starting line, after watching the other drivers rocket into the lead for all this time.

expy

Banned
No45 said:
When you're mid drift through it really is difficult to roll your finger from X over to O. Unless... you do have to HOLD X while drifting, right?
Yep, gotta keep X pressed... I just rotate my thumb.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Man I got owned over and over on the desert track (3-1?). Getting blasted from 2nd to 6th on the last lap sucks. They need to turn aggression of the other drivers down, they seem to go after you more then themselves. I finally realized you can boost off the starting line, after watching the other drivers rocket into the lead for all this time.

Drift and do a lot of trick, also do not use Boost outside the starting line (Hold R2 and when you see GREEN press L1 aka Boost). Always keep the Bar for shield, that will save you always. Also try to see the map on the left, that will show you how close the attacks are, then you will be able to use shield later and not sooner than you need.

netguy503

-DarKaoZ- said:
Drift and do a lot of trick, also do not use Boost outside the starting line (Hold R2 and when you see GREEN press L1 aka Boost). Always keep the Bar for shield, that will save you always. Also try to see the map on the left, that will show you how close the attacks are, then you will be able to use shield later and not sooner than you need.

Yea but I'm on a race right now in the Grim Tour, I believe it's called the sinkhole, where you need all your boost are you will be left behind in the race. Leaves little room for shield power and that is, like you said, where they will get you. It's frustrating. The AI is so CHEAP on that track. Any tips for this race? I'm about to give up on career until they make a patch for the difficulty in this game.

RagnarokX said:
Did you get the new version? I just uploaded it almost an hour ago. Was there a big hole in the road under the highway?

Yeah I noticed it had just recently been uploaded (at like 3:30 am or something?) I don't recall any big holes though, but I do remember it being recently uploaded. I'll check again the next time I get in the game.

Also Alpine Cross looks pretty sweet I'll download that and play it when I get a chance too.

expy

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Yeah I noticed it had just recently been uploaded (at like 3:30 am or something?) I don't recall any big holes though, but I do remember it being recently uploaded. I'll check again the next time I get in the game.

Also Alpine Cross looks pretty sweet I'll download that and play it when I get a chance too.
Did you publish yours yet?

expy said:
Did you publish yours yet?

Not yet, although it's close to being ready. if you or anyone else is willing to test it out for me though I'd be cool with publishing it under some obscure name temporarily to get some feedback though.

Sumasshu

I just published my latest track Desert Downpour. It's a longer track than my last one with alternate paths and water hazards. Check it out.

modnationracers9.jpg

modnationracers8.jpg

modnationracersf.jpg

expy

Banned
Holy crap, just went into a 12 player casual game with Shadow780 with my track... That was pretty intense... I totally didn't balance it for 12 players though. :lol

JoNike

Neo Member
expy said:
Holy crap, just went into a 12 player casual game with Shadow780 with my track... That was pretty intense... I totally didn't balance it for 12 players though. :lol

Yeah I was the host. Wanted to thank you for the habs jersey so I downloaded and set up your track:) Pretty good, the different choice you have to make through the track are pretty good.

expy

Banned
JoNike said:
Yeah I was the host. Wanted to thank you for the habs jersey so I downloaded and set up your track:) Pretty good, the different choice you have to make through the track are pretty good.
OH damn that was you! lol

paskowitz

Has anyone made a Nurburgring track? If not here are some great references.

nordschleife-map.jpg

If anyone wants to take it seriously I would suggest looking at this link, and at least one video of a lap of the entire circuit. Also in that link view the topography and earth views of th track to get a better idea of the elevation changes and surroundings.

paskowitz said:
Has anyone made a Nurburgring track? If not here are some great references.

[]http://www.xinu.nl/autosport/images/nordschleife-map.jpg[/IMG]

If anyone wants to take it seriously I would suggest looking at this link, and at least one video of a lap of the entire circuit. Also in that link view the topography and earth views of th track to get a better idea of the elevation changes and surroundings.

Too big to make on that editor.

No45

netguy503 said:
Yea but I'm on a race right now in the Grim Tour, I believe it's called the sinkhole, where you need all your boost are you will be left behind in the race. Leaves little room for shield power and that is, like you said, where they will get you. It's frustrating. The AI is so CHEAP on that track. Any tips for this race? I'm about to give up on career until they make a patch for the difficulty in this game.
You don't need the boost all that much for that track actually, you can make sure you're in the running by nailing the sinkhole itself, start drifting well before you're in the tunnel and keep it going all the way down - hitting all of the boost pads and making sure you're turning sharply as you come out of the drift at the bottom and hit the first jump.

For the second jump make sure you're on the right track so you have the best line to take the tight left. I'll usually use a bit of boost on the track after that turn because there's not much in the way of trickery you can use. I find that shortcut very risky as well.

Make sure you have your speed at +2 and make no mistakes and winning that race isn't too hard. Completing the bonus objective however is a bitch.

I just played through Alpine Cross, it was a really fun track man! I gave it and Modopolis 5 stars. I need to play Desert Downpour soon.

I think it would be really cool if sometime soon we organize a GAF tourney using our maps in the tourney rotation. We could make it a classic Mario Kart-ish GP cup type thing where you get awarded a certain number of points per win based on how you placed (EX: 1st place you get 6 points, 2nd place you get 5, etc. etc.). We could order all our creations based on their difficulty and organize the races to be easiest > hardest.

I just got this game with the Gamestop 50%+ trade in deal and a gift card. It was a little intimidating at first, but now I'm really enjoying it.

I'm horrible at making things but am currently the Joker and riding a batmobile. People are crazy talented at this stuff.

I think the game is super fun but the power ups are a little lame. They're no where near as fun or varied as the ones you'd find in Mario Kart. It's also frustratingly easy to get caught onto something, like a fence right next to a boost pad. It's like the walls are karts are made of velcro.

jonnybryce said:
I just got this game with the Gamestop 50%+ trade in deal and a gift card. It was a little intimidating at first, but now I'm really enjoying it.

I'm horrible at making things but am currently the Joker and riding a batmobile. People are crazy talented at this stuff.

I think the game is super fun but the power ups are a little lame. They're no where near as fun or varied as the ones you'd find in Mario Kart. It's also frustratingly easy to get caught onto something, like a fence right next to a boost pad. It's like the walls are karts are made of velcro.

I honestly hated the weapons at first, but whats great about the weapon system in this game is that EVERYTHING is blockable, unlike Mario Kart. The key is to get good at timing the shield for each weapon. Eventually as long as you learn how to use your boost meter efficiently you should almost always be able to prevent getting hit by weapons. And I personally find using them very fun. Also, something that took me a while to figure out: Hold square to turn whatever weapon you have into a bomb/mine to lay behind you.

RagnarokX

MisterAnderson said:
I honestly hated the weapons at first, but whats great about the weapon system in this game is that EVERYTHING is blockable, unlike Mario Kart. The key is to get good at timing the shield for each weapon. Eventually as long as you learn how to use your boost meter efficiently you should almost always be able to prevent getting hit by weapons. And I personally find using them very fun. Also, something that took me a while to figure out: Hold square to turn whatever weapon you have into a bomb/mine to lay behind you.
Shield is definitely > boost, but I've been noticing a problem with online races. The level 3 lightning weapon lags to a point where it is pretty much impossible to block. The warning will go off and I'll see people around me getting shocked, all the while my shield is draining, and then well after the warning and my shield are gone, I get blasted. It's annoying.

r1chard

To answer my question from a few pages ago: yes, it's worth buying the full game over just playing the demo, even if you don't play online.

My daughter (who still can't really drive the carts very well) and I had a ball with the new track creation options. I'm getting much better at making nice little easy-to-drive tracks. I'll be putting some up online soonish I think.

I don't think it'll have the same lifespan as LBP did, but the career mode is fun enough at the moment.

I need to find the mic mute option though so we don't have swearing pouring out of the speakers while we're in the main menu :-(

expy

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Game says you're in my modspot, but I don't see you anywhere. lol

paskowitz said:
It does not have to be a 1 to 1 creation. Obviously its not going to work perfectly, but someone has already made a pretty good Monaco GP.

Still impossible even if its not fully accurate. The ring just has too many corners and elevation changes that attempting one will just end up being a long track with a bunch of random corners.

Dont even mention Monaco in the same boat as Nurburgring. You said it yourself, its a GP Track therefore its shorter and can be created.

If you want a modnation nur, why not make the Nurburgring GP Circuit then? ;)

expy said:
Game says you're in my modspot, but I don't see you anywhere. lol

I was idle in the modspot for a few hours there, not sure why it wasn't showing me but I wasn't at the ps3 anyway. I'm gonna get online now though and decorate my track some more.

expy

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I just played through Alpine Cross, it was a really fun track man! I gave it and Modopolis 5 stars. I need to play Desert Downpour soon.

I think it would be really cool if sometime soon we organize a GAF tourney using our maps in the tourney rotation. We could make it a classic Mario Kart-ish GP cup type thing where you get awarded a certain number of points per win based on how you placed (EX: 1st place you get 6 points, 2nd place you get 5, etc. etc.). We could order all our creations based on their difficulty and organize the races to be easiest > hardest.

Thanks man! Can't wait to play yours!!!

That's a great idea as well, I was thiking "what if we got all the GAF guys together for a GP?"... We should try for it once we get a good # of maps in! :D

snap0212

I've read about long loading times, but it just took me 102 seconds to load one single track? When is a patch coming? Do we have any information? :(

No matter how good the content is, I really can't see why this game reviewed as well as it did. There's just no justification for this. Sorry for being late to the bitching-about-the-loading-times party, but I haven't really had a chance to play this game. ;-)

MrPliskin

Banned
snap0212 said:
I've read about long loading times, but it just took me 102 seconds to load one single track? When is a patch coming? Do we have any information? :(

No matter how good the content is, I really can't see why this game reviewed as well as it did. There's just no justification for this. Sorry for being late to the bitching-about-the-loading-times party, but I haven't really had a chance to play this game. ;-)

That's almost certainly the exception, and it's not the standard. Generally to load a track it's about 30 to 45 seconds depending on complexity and length. Honestly I'm not very confident they can improve the load times at all, but we'll see.

I think they can do a number of UI enhancements to improve loading though, like removing the "Press Any Button to Start". Also, let me view and accept invites while in the create studio.

Lastly, there shouldn't be a spot to spend your tokens in the modspot if all it does it take you into the create studio. Tighten that up so I stay in the modspot.

snap0212

MrPliskin said:
That's almost certainly the exception, and it's not the standard. Generally to load a track it's about 30 to 45 seconds depending on complexity and length. Honestly I'm not very confident they can improve the load times at all, but we'll see.

I think they can do a number of UI enhancements to improve loading though, like removing the "Press Any Button to Start". Also, let me view and accept invites while in the create studio.
I could understand if this were a track I downloaded, but this is data that's on the disc and you'd think that the big install would prevent such long loading times. I can see why there'd be longer loading times when you want to play a downloaded track (those downloads are really fast even on my slow connection) but there's just no excuse to have that long loading times for content that I've installed on my hard drive. I don't know anything about programming, but something went horribly wrong here!

AndyD

aka andydumi
paskowitz said:
It does not have to be a 1 to 1 creation. Obviously its not going to work perfectly, but someone has already made a pretty good Monaco GP.

I made a Hockenheim if you are interested. Under my PSN AndysPants. Its not fully realistic, only the track path is. I added a tiny shortcut for gameplay purposes and spiced up the landscape around it a bit to make it look better.

Someone made a realistic one with stands/trees in the appropriate spots but its very boring in the kart racing sense and it looks pretty weak.

itschris

snap0212 said:
I could understand if this were a track I downloaded, but this is data that's on the disc and you'd think that the big install would prevent such long loading times. I can see why there'd be longer loading times when you want to play a downloaded track (those downloads are really fast even on my slow connection) but there's just no excuse to have that long loading times for content that I've installed on my hard drive. I don't know anything about programming, but something went horribly wrong here!

The load times don't really have much to do with where the track file is stored. The way they built the game, they kept the track files extremely small by making them just contain instructions for how to build the track. So during those long loading screens, the game is actually building the track from scratch each time.

RobbieNick

A bit of a Newb question, but when I take a picture on ModNation, where Can I pick it up online. I joined the official website, but I can't find them.

Is it possible to make a Delorean back to the future looking car? would love to see someone try it with what seems to be a sports car base in silver, black skirts, DMC badge an the BTTF license plate :lol and if possible the huge boxy exausts on the back.

Must be possible to make Doc Brown too :lol

Just played "Desert Downpour." Was a lot of fun man. Lots of rolling hills and branching paths to take; made each lap feel unique. I ran into the water a few times but by the third lap I was able to position myself for the ramps correctly lol.

Not that I ran into the wall or anything, but the 2nd turn in the race (it's a right turn) didn't have any chevron to indicate that a turn was coming up. This was slightly confusing to me since I was just then reacting to a left turn signal (since the first turn is a slight left, but then there's an immediate right). You may want to add a chevron or something on that turn, but it might just be me.

r1chard

For me the issues with loading time are all about the game wasting my time with pointless crap.

1. spending time to load videos that I don't care about (starting the game), and
2. spending even more time loading that overblown modspot crap when I just hit "start" and use that menu anyway.

Apart from those couple of loading delays it's not so bad to play IMO. Certainly the time spent loading tracks is a leeetle long but bearable...

Found the mic mute too, which is good for my kid's ears.

Really enjoying the career mode :)

Diablohead said:
Is it possible to make a Delorean back to the future looking car? would love to see someone try it with what seems to be a sports car base in silver, black skirts, DMC badge an the BTTF license plate :lol and if possible the huge boxy exausts on the back.

Must be possible to make Doc Brown too :lol

http://community.modnation.com/en-gb/creations/karts/search?q=delorean

there are, like, a hundred delorean created in the game.

Top Bottom