• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

Ezahn

I tried the demo yesterday, and I must say I was totally won over by the art style (the lobby menus are fantastic!).
I'm not so sure about the game in itself, it seems really a Mario Kart clone.
What do you guys think are the main differences and peculiarities of ModNation over its inspirator (creativity aside)?

expy

Banned
Ezahn said:
I tried the demo yesterday, and I must say I was totally won over by the art style (the lobby menus are fantastic!).
I'm not so sure about the game in itself, it seems really a Mario Kart clone.
What do you guys think are the main differences and peculiarities of ModNation over its inspirator (creativity aside)?

Apart from the loading, everything in MNR sets it apart from Mario Kart imo. Creation tools are SO powerful and the online races are just too fun.

And while we're at it....

I hadn't seen a properly done Tifa Loackhart on ModNation, so decided to make one myself... This is the first of two versions (FF7, and FF7:AC) for Tifa Lockhart~

(I unlocked 5 additional creations slots somehow!!! :D)

Tifa Lockhart Final Fantasy VII PS1

zyae6s.jpg

ettttv.jpg

kcd1e.jpg

obaidr

Banned
expy said:
Apart from the loading, everything in MNR sets it apart from Mario Kart imo. Creation tools are SO powerful and the online races are just too fun.

And while we're at it....

I hadn't seen a properly done Tifa Loackhart on ModNation, so decided to make one myself... This is the first of two versions (FF7, and FF7:AC) for Tifa Lockhart~

(I unlocked 5 additional creations slots somehow!!! :D)

Tifa Lockhart Final Fantasy VII PS1

[IG]http://i50.tinypic.com/zyae6s.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i49.tinypic.com/ettttv.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i48.tinypic.com/kcd1e.jpg[/IMG]

no boobs :(

Finished the Career mode a few days ago, Dominator trophy and all. Overall, it was a fun ride, but ultimately very difficult. There were some races where if I got ran off the road, I just restarted the race due to the impossibility of catching up to the rest. My GF has been playing too, and she ended up quitting at the second tour finale because Hale was simply too cheap.

I'm rank 15 online, anyone know of a good setting for the kart? I've been experimenting with adding speed and drift, but nothing seems to stick. I can't get into a good groove.

And when is that fucking patch coming? Loading times in every single transition between menus is ridiculous.

No45

ConradCervantes said:
Finished the Career mode a few days ago, Dominator trophy and all.
That's not the hard one. See "Level of Merit" for the real pain (And it's a Silver, compared to the Dominator Gold). >_<

Volcynika

I tried to make a character or two from other games (Pamela Ibis from Mana Khemia / Atelier games), but I suck sooooooo bad at the creation thing it's not funny :lol I'm just kinda lost on most of it, I guess.

Played online last night for about 3-hours doing XP Series races only. I had a lot of fun and the wait times were minimal (waiting for the race to start that is - not load times!). The races usually had four or five other people, and the competition was fierce. The entire night there were only two other people who had mics! This game is so much better when you can talk to people - just wish more people would turn theirs on. Why play online and not use a mic? The XP Series would be great if you could get a bunch of friends together (with mics!).

MrPliskin

Banned
So I've started playing the career again, and I think the difficulty comes more from a lack of balance on some stages, rather than the game just being unfair. It seems some stages just have absurd amounts of weapon drops, basically requiring you to not boost at all, while constantly attacking from the front / rear. It's pretty difficult, to say the least, but I suppose I can get over it if I just finish out those few stupid tracks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Grindjaw said:

That ironman cart is great, but the Ironman mod that is #3 in top downloads is excellent and would pair better with your cart. That one actually built a helmet on the head.

MrPliskin said:
^^^ ROFL. Awesome. :lol

Anyone know if the servers are having issues? I haven't been able to connect all morning :(

I think it said there would be some downtime. Didn't quite catch when but maybe this is it.

expy

Banned
Finished up Advent Children Tifa Lockhart....

Tifa Lockhart Advent Children ver.

2csdqis.jpg

2zs19vo.jpg

2je8x2b.jpg

(I noticed that the bottom hair was discolored, I've fixed it) :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
Story time: So a few nights ago I had noticed that my HotLap time had been decimated (quite considerably) and that the fastest time was 6 seconds.

So, I was confused, and hopped on to watch the Ghost Replay. At the time there was only one person w/ a 6 second time.

So, I wanted to see if it was a 1 time bug, or a legit "exploit" and I attempted to copy what he did. Well, turns out that it wasn't an attempt, I succeeded. I finished the lap in EIGHT SECONDS. WTF right? Anyway, I thought nothing of it and moved on (admittedly I did use this exploit during the career mode to win a few races and challenges!).

Well, fast forward to today, and my account was banned from PSN for one day. I'm not upset in the slightest, since I did do it. In fact, I'm actually smitten, I really REALLY like that they are taking this much care of the community to punish people who use exploits and glitches. So, good on you UFG, I suppose I'll see you guy's in a few days :lol

Grindjaw

Neo Member
AndyD said:
That ironman cart is great, but the Ironman mod that is #3 in top downloads is excellent and would pair better with your cart. That one actually built a helmet on the head.

My brother made this ironman and the kart on the first day we had the game, we didn't have a clue of how far the creation mode could take us. Then after 3 days we started to play online and we saw the gazillion Ironman mods:D Wasn't really worth it to redo him.

So now we are focussing on making mods that are rare:p Check out his Speedy Service and Big Cheese from the Samurai Pizzacats cartoon. The link is in the previous post.:D

Sumasshu

MisterAnderson said:
Just played "Desert Downpour." Was a lot of fun man. Lots of rolling hills and branching paths to take; made each lap feel unique. I ran into the water a few times but by the third lap I was able to position myself for the ramps correctly lol.

Not that I ran into the wall or anything, but the 2nd turn in the race (it's a right turn) didn't have any chevron to indicate that a turn was coming up. This was slightly confusing to me since I was just then reacting to a left turn signal (since the first turn is a slight left, but then there's an immediate right). You may want to add a chevron or something on that turn, but it might just be me.
Thanks for the feedback. I really wish this game had a republish or revise option! There are always little things I'd like to go back and polish. Although, I could probably polish indefinitely and would never move onto new levels, so maybe it's good that it isn't an option. ;)

Sumasshu said:
Thanks for the feedback. I really wish this game had a republish or revise option! There are always little things I'd like to go back and polish. Although, I could probably polish indefinitely and would never move onto new levels, so maybe it's good that it isn't an option. ;)

I'm currently going through the "constantly polishing/adding shit" phase with my level because I'm so anal that I know that if I see a bunch of stuff that bothers me post-publish I will probably end up taking it down to tweak. So I'm trying to catch everything I can to make it better before I publish it lol.

Just to get some opinions...which title do you think is best out of these?

"Tropic Pantheon"
"Pantheon Parkway"
"Temple Turnpike"

...or anything else like that. I think I'm leaning towards "Temple Turnpike" my only concern with that is there are a ton of "temple" titled levels, and I actually found one named "Turnpike Temple" which is pretty similar to that one. Anyway, clearly I'm looking too far into this. Haha.

No45

Man some of these challenges are brutal. 100% now up to Breakwater in the Grand Tour. The final challenge in Dire Cliffs took me three hours and I'd guess somewhere in the region of 100 retries of varying lengths.

It speaks volumes that no amount of frustration ever puts me off playing this game.

Just managed to come 1st in all races and get all the tokens. That 2nd from last level (Mt Pain) certainly lives by it's name here. The comp is just brutal. Took me many, many goes to get 1st on this one. So I think I'm now done with the game and I feel relieved.

I had a love/hate relationship with this game. I felt there was many problems with it and it let the game down a lot. The game had potential to be a real Mario Kart condender but just falls so short.

A completely frustrating single player at times with difficulty all over the place. I think the controls had a few too many buttons and didn't like the idea of having to open up shortcuts manually or through switches, was over complicated. Thought the story was a waste of time and not needed again. I didn't mind the commentators for their banter though a bit too much bullying of poor Gary :(

Loading seriously needs sorting. A massive load every time at the start before the logos is like having to install the game over and over, then to be only faced with a "press any button" screen is just pointless. Then more loading.

Online is decent though and far less frustrating than single player. It's nice to get away from cheating AI and get down to racing. The create mode was great and as can be seen, lots of great creations are being made.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10

I am now stuck at the one race that ends a series where you need to come in first to advance. Fuck! This is causing me some grief. I may have to give up on the trophies and download a complete save file.

MrPliskin

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Just managed to come 1st in all races and get all the tokens. That 2nd from last level (Mt Pain) certainly lives by it's name here. The comp is just brutal. Took me many, many goes to get 1st on this one. So I think I'm now done with the game and I feel relieved.

I had a love/hate relationship with this game. I felt there was many problems with it and it let the game down a lot. The game had potential to be a real Mario Kart condender but just falls so short.

A completely frustrating single player at times with difficulty all over the place. I think the controls had a few too many buttons and didn't like the idea of having to open up shortcuts manually or through switches, was over complicated. Thought the story was a waste of time and not needed again. I didn't mind the commentators for their banter though a bit too much bullying of poor Gary :(

Loading seriously needs sorting. A massive load every time at the start before the logos is like having to install the game over and over, then to be only faced with a "press any button" screen is just pointless. Then more loading.

Online is decent though and far less frustrating than single player. It's nice to get away from cheating AI and get down to racing. The create mode was great and as can be seen, lots of great creations are being made.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10

I strongly disagree that the game falls short of Mario Kart. If anything, it does everything MK should do, and a lot better in some areas. Unless of course you were looking for a completely unbalanced experience ala Mario Kart.

As with any Kart Racer, you don't judge the game based on the experience you have against the AI, you base if off of the experiences you have playing with other people, be it locally or online.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am reading a book with WW2 fighter pilots and I thought I would make these:

The Red Baron (search under AndysPants for them)

preview_image.png

and
preview_image.png

US and European versions coming later. Please give some feedback. I already made a few changes to the German pilot and will republish later.

Also, how did grindjaw get those nice pictures with front/back and the kart, self made photoshop, or is there a gadget on the website?

Volcynika

MrPliskin said:
As with any Kart Racer, you don't judge the game based on the experience you have against the AI, you base if off of the experiences you have playing with other people, be it locally or online.

I prefer to judge my games based on the entire experience the game has to offer. It's completely fair.

Also, if I finish 1st in a race, then go back later to get tokens and don't finish first, does it still count that I have already beaten it by being in first?

Volcynika

carpediemdp said:
yes, you keep the tokens.

Yeah, I think I just didn't explain correctly.

If I win a race in career and come first, that's recorded. Then later I go back for whatever reason and don't finish first, does the game still recognize I've already come in first on that race?

expy

Banned
Volcynika said:

If I win a race in career and come first, that's recorded. Then later I go back for whatever reason and don't finish first, does the game still recognize I've already come in first on that race?
Yep.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Volcynika said:

Yes. It does, but in order to get the second and third unlocks, you must do the tasks and also be first in the same race.

No45

That's great. Was there a useful sticker for the dragon symbol or did you have to make that yourself? :eek:

100% on all but the last four tracks now. Getting all of the objectives on each track at the moment is incredibly hard, and incredibly rewarding. I WILL NOT GIVE IN!!

expy

Banned
No45 said:
That's great. Was there a useful sticker for the dragon symbol or did you have to make that yourself? :eek:

100% on all but the last four tracks now. Getting all of the objectives on each track at the moment is incredibly hard, and incredibly rewarding. I WILL NOT GIVE IN!!

Used all primitive objects to make it, the logo itself is about 130 layers... lol

No45

Wow. I don't think I'll ever have the patience to create anything useful out of primitives, perhaps that's why I'm so intent on unlocking everything the game has to offer.

Apeboy

Katana_Strikes said:

I'm working through the career mode now and completely agree. Modnations claimed the races would involve at least a bit of strategy or skill but all the races boil down to dumb luck to complete.

MrPliskin

Banned
Volcynika said:
I prefer to judge my games based on the entire experience the game has to offer. It's completely fair.

Also, if I finish 1st in a race, then go back later to get tokens and don't finish first, does it still count that I have already beaten it by being in first?
Why? You say the game falls short of MK, how? Because it has more alance and doesn't feature super wapons? Sure, we all know the AI has issues and rubber banding, but at the end of the day, the core mechanics of MNR are far more polished than any recent MK.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Apeboy said:
I'm working through the career mode now and completely agree. Modnations claimed the races would involve at least a bit of strategy or skill but all the races boil down to dumb luck to complete.
OH I think Your totally wrong. There is an EPIC amount of skill involved to unlock some of the achievements. Last night I tried for 40 minutes to knock out Hale by the grand stands and get first before I did it. I kept making all kinds of tiny mistakes until I finally did it. If you race out front (in first) in the harder races you have to have perfect timing with the shield. Which is possible. And it not you have to be able to knock out multiple drivers right before the finish.

Both take skill.

expy

Banned
The game may be tough and intimidating at times, especially when trying to unlock those last few challenges, but when you start racing online at higher levels, you'll thank that experience you've gained, because those races are sometimes tougher than the challenges.

Volcynika

MrPliskin said:
Why? You say the game falls short of MK, how? Because it has more alance and doesn't feature super wapons? Sure, we all know the AI has issues and rubber banding, but at the end of the day, the core mechanics of MNR are far more polished than any recent MK.

Where the hell in my post did I say that? I just said I prefer to judge the entire experience a game has to offer. I was pointing towards your post where you said you shouldn't judge a game based on experience with AI, and only judge it with real players online or whatever.

Top Bottom