• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

Torillian

Neo Member
expy said:
The game may be tough and intimidating at times, especially when trying to unlock those last few challenges, but when you start racing online at higher levels, you'll thank that experience you've gained, because those races are sometimes tougher than the challenges.

I agree, the online races can be vicious. Couple of days ago I had this great moment in the last race of an XP series where I was in second for the last turn of a race just behind the guy in first. I cut inside on the corner and as I get next to him I sideswipe him and take the lead to win the series. There was alot of yelling and pelvic thrusts in my room and probably alot of swearing and throwing controllers wherever that guy lives.

Sadly I've also been on the receiving end of some just as vicious events that I don't want to talk about. One in particular where I finished in 12th place in a full online XP race which completely killed my skill rating.

No45

Apeboy said:
I'm working through the career mode now and completely agree. Modnations claimed the races would involve at least a bit of strategy or skill but all the races boil down to dumb luck to complete.
None of the races themselves require any luck to complete (At least not as far as I am, which is 100% on all but the last four races) - that's not to say that you wouldn't benefit from a slice or two. There are one or two challenges that do need a slice of luck, but they're not needed to advance in the career mode.

MrPliskin

Banned
Volcynika said:
Where the hell in my post did I say that? I just said I prefer to judge the entire experience a game has to offer. I was pointing towards your post where you said you shouldn't judge a game based on experience with AI, and only judge it with real players online or whatever.

Shit! I'm sorry dude, I was posting from my phone and could have SWORN you were the guy I originally quoted! I apologize man, sorry!

Anyway, to continue our discussion:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't judge the game as a whole, well, not necessarily. I'm saying, more importantly, that something like AI shouldn't weigh as heavily on a game that is clearly meant for a multiplayer experience (hence the 12p online and 4p splitscreen). The mechanics themselves shine so much that I simply cannot say in good faith that the singleplayer should hold it back because it is unfair and difficult.

There is a point in Geometry wars where the game literally becomes "unfair" throwing massive amounts of enemies at you just to kill you, and the same can be said for Super Stardust HD, and many other arcade titles (even classic titles). Sure, I think in some cases poor design can come into play, but when a title like this is such an outstanding experience offline and online with other players...I can't really say that the AI should be a part of it's downfall.

Again though, I apologize for the mixup!

So just as I'm about to finally publish my track and post screenshots, the PSN is undergoing maintenance and when I try to edit my track or mods, it says "you don't have permission to remix this creation"?? Wtf...

Edit: Oh wow...it's down till like late late tonight :/ anyone know anything about the error I'm getting regarding me not having permission to "remix" my creations? Is that error because I'm not online?

We just have to accept that we live in an age where, to many gamers, difficulty = "this game sucks."

I love the challenge in the single player. You can't really call it "unfair" when the game leaves a heck of a lot more up to player choice than, say, mario kart does. Knowing how to drift, boost, and shield to your advantage make all the difference.

Alright...so after about two weeks of working on it I can finally say that I'm finished with my first track. It's published and ready to go! Thanks goes out to Expy for testing it for me!

Temple Turnpike
PSN ID: Leonidas2123

hx0ynl.jpg

The massive walls of the temple ruins form large trenches to race through.

I tried to put as many branching paths/shortcuts/alternate routes as I could.

Large statue walls

fn8f1g.jpg

Be wary of temple ruins scattered throughout the track. Good drift control is essential for navigating these treacherous turns. After lap 1 a pressure pad is activated which opens up a shortcut to the racers.

Another perilous shortcut awaits the brave.

24vtt0p.jpg

Although dangerous, the overpass is quite shorter than the normal route.

More rubble to be on the lookout for.

This intersection features blocker traps wired to the adjacent road. Activate yours to trigger a small pop-up blocker to give merging opponents some extra trouble. If they are quick enough to react they can hop over safely, though.

Boost pads.

The bridge is out.

2nrls09.jpg

Jump the gap in the bridge to land on the mountain shrine, and from there jump into the temple entrance.

ju9ybq.jpg

2wobr02.jpg

Be careful coming out of this turn as you exit the temple tunnel as the skull path is narrow and winding.

208acqp.jpg

There are four paths to choose from in this lush overgrown section of the ruins, each with their own combination of rewards and perils.

Two paths to the right...

...and two to the left.

2qur6n6.jpg

A pressure pad activates this shortcut ramp. Use a trigger shot on the switch to block off any opponents trying to follow you up the ramp, or use it to temporarily deny the shortcut while you go around the longer main path if you miss the pressure pad or want to get item pods.

nd7z4h.jpg

Be sure not to fall off the final turn! It could cost you the race.

The race is a bit on the long side but not too long, and it is best played with human opponents as the AI have some trouble navigating through some of the rubble paths and for some reason they rarely can make the first jump onto the mountain shrine even though I am able to make it every time without even manually jumping off the ramp. I arduously placed each prop individually, including trees and shrubs. I hope you guys like the track and have fun with it! A few parts are a bit tricky, but once you learn the turns it shouldn't be trouble at all. Please download and rate it! :)

Edit: To shorten this gigantic post I hyper-linked some of the redundant screenshots.

Lol, had to take it down for a bit to fix something...but should all be good now :p

My anal ways have struck again! Only lost 3 downloads worth of stats so no biggie.

RagnarokX

MisterAnderson said:
Lol, had to take it down for a bit to fix something...but should all be good now :p

My anal ways have struck again! Only lost 3 downloads worth of stats so no biggie.
Tell me about it. I had 50 downloads already on Modopolis Rush when I discovered that some glitch durring the publishing process screwed up my track :( And a few people have complained that my tracks have "invisible walls". I don't experience anything of the sort, so I think it's those people having bad connections or something.

Anyway, your track looks great. I will try it out later.

RagnarokX said:
Tell me about it. I had 50 downloads already on Modopolis Rush when I discovered that some glitch durring the publishing process screwed up my track :( And a few people have complained that my tracks have "invisible walls". I don't experience anything of the sort, so I think it's those people having bad connections or something.

Anyway, your track looks great. I will try it out later.

Thanks man, and yeah it's pretty inexcusable if you ask me that the publishing system is so terrible. You'd think they'd have taken a hint from LBP and just stuck with that...I loved being able to make revisions since there are sometimes only things you can catch when a lot of people play your level.

I also hope the way levels/mods are "showcased" is changed because as it is now, new uploads get lost in the shuffle so quickly that the only way to get any type of exposure really is to rely on forums like this. I guarantee that if the system isn't changed that Iron Man, Mario, and Spider-Man will be the top 3 mods for the entire lifespan of the game.

RagnarokX

MisterAnderson said:
Thanks man, and yeah it's pretty inexcusable if you ask me that the publishing system is so terrible. You'd think they'd have taken a hint from LBP and just stuck with that...I loved being able to make revisions since there are sometimes only things you can catch when a lot of people play your level.

I also hope the way levels/mods are "showcased" is changed because as it is now, new uploads get lost in the shuffle so quickly that the only way to get any type of exposure really is to rely on forums like this. I guarantee that if the system isn't changed that Iron Man, Mario, and Spider-Man will be the top 3 mods for the entire lifespan of the game.
I post tracks here, on the official forums, and on modnationonline.com. On the official forums, they have announced that they are changing the algorithms so that top mods/karts/tracks won't be the same forever. They are also going to start adding user made tracks to Hot Lap and XP Race.

No45

HappyBivouac said:
We just have to accept that we live in an age where, to many gamers, difficulty = "this game sucks."

I love the challenge in the single player. You can't really call it "unfair" when the game leaves a heck of a lot more up to player choice than, say, mario kart does. Knowing how to drift, boost, and shield to your advantage make all the difference.
Absolutely, can't agree more. The times when I feel this game has given me no way out of a situation I can probably count on the fingers of one hand (And having no meter for shield because you've boosted too much doesn't count).

Having said that, does anyone have tips for the 'Sideswipe three opponents on the cliffside' challenge on Fracture? I have the camera distance slider at maximum, and I still can't see enough around the kart to anticipate someone passing me there and, for some reason, this is the easiest track by far to win on. The AI does properly stupid stuff on this track.

expy

Banned
Had a blast just jamming to some tunes from the 80's, 90's and 2000's, as well as some other genres, like anime and foreign music. The modspot was pretty lively and everyone enjoyed it, just chilled there listening to music. haha

The first iteration of the Slutmobile has been finished.
I'll post pictures sometime.

My friends' companion car is the Pedomobile with "Free Candy" sprawled on the side. '

What the fuck is wrong with us

AndyD

aka andydumi
Buckethead said:
The first iteration of the Slutmobile has been finished.
I'll post pictures sometime.

My friends' companion car is the Pedomobile with "Free Candy" sprawled on the side. '

What the fuck is wrong with us

I hope the pedomobile is a van...

Purist

Neo Member
Torillian said:
There was alot of yelling and pelvic thrusts in my room and probably alot of swearing and throwing controllers wherever that guy lives.

:lol

People gotta know to save those boosts for that last lap when you're in front. And I agree on the need for new ways of showcasing the noteworthy tracks. I'm sick of the top mods already, sick of the same 5 top tracks as well. When are we going to have non-UFG tracks up for XP?

expy

Banned
Purist said:
:lol

People gotta know to save those boosts for that last lap when you're in front. And I agree on the need for new ways of showcasing the noteworthy tracks. I'm sick of the top mods already, sick of the same 5 top tracks as well. When are we going to have non-UFG tracks up for XP?
Probably never, and I think it's better that way.

j-wood

GAF, is this game really worth it? It's got some legs and a ton of content? Can you do split screen online in this one?

j-wood said:
GAF, is this game really worth it? It's got some legs and a ton of content? Can you do split screen online in this one?

Yes it's worth it. As far as split screen online goes...I'm not sure? Can anyone confirm that?

OSHAN

j-wood said:

2 player split you can, but 4 player is limited to local.

So after Temple Turnpike I'm taking a track making break and decided to make some Contra goodies.

(edited due to old pics. Scroll down for up to date ones!)

Grindjaw

Neo Member
AndyD said:
Also, how did grindjaw get those nice pictures with front/back and the kart, self made photoshop, or is there a gadget on the website?

I extracted my mods from screenshots with the use of Photoshop and then made a simple little banner to use as my personal template. :D

Mudo

Thread is moving slowly. I wonder if it's because everyone else is waiting for the reduced loading time patch like I am in order to actually start playing the game again?

patsu

Some what true, but I'm also swarmed by work.

Kid is playing Modnation Racer. Then again, it'd be summer soon. He'll play outdoor more and more.

slewis7

Mudo said:
Thread is moving slowly. I wonder if it's because everyone else is waiting for the reduced loading time patch like I am in order to actually start playing the game again?

I am. Also, I hit the hard part of the campaign where progress is painful.

How are people making cigarettes on their characters? All I've managed to do is get a single colored cylinder (as seen in the pic of Bill up above) but to get it thin enough to be the proper width of a cigarette I have to scale it down so far that it is very short and stubby. I've seen cigarettes created by users that are the proper length and even two colors. How are people doing that?

RagnarokX

MisterAnderson said:
How are people making cigarettes on their characters? All I've managed to do is get a single colored cylinder (as seen in the pic of Bill up above) but to get it thin enough to be the proper width of a cigarette I have to scale it down so far that it is very short and stubby. I've seen cigarettes created by users that are the proper length and even two colors. How are people doing that?
Use advanced edit to scale the cylinder on x and y without affecting z?

No45

Mudo said:
I've been concentrating on getting 100% on the career mode. Finally done, and what a roller coaster ride it was. ^_^

Going to spend some time seeing what I can come up with in the create mode now, although I suspect it won't amount to much. Hopefully by then there'll be some news on the online.

j-wood said:
What does the "match colors" option do when you're creating a mod?
It matches the other parts of the costume (Not eyes or skin) with the colours you currently have selected as best it can.

Sorry to constantly be posting pics of my Contra stuff, but I'm currently torn and could use some advice. Do you guys think the pics above with the brown boots and gloves look better than this silver version? Or maybe go grey with Bill and keep the brown for Lance?

2mcg8qx.jpg

PS all the mods posted look amazing. Keep it up guys. And yeah, it sucks how slow this thread has become :/

Shinriji

I bought the game yesterday full of hope that it was CTR for the PS3, but I find the game dissapointing. The loading is horrid, the graphics is nothing to speak of and the modspot is an excellent idea on paper, but on practice it make you spend more time on menus than anything.

And what about have to do a tutorial and the Modspot BEFORE playing? That was downright retarded decision. Me and my friends were bored to death waiting someone doing some laps, loading, watching a tutorial about the modspot to finally play some multiplayer.

But the actual racing is really fun and some of the downloadable tracks are awesome. I don't really care for customization, but download karts and tracks was easy enough and some of the creations are top-notch (the mystery machine).

I just hope that the fix the loading, fix the framerate and remove completely the modspot (or make it totally optional). I really wanted to love MNR, but the finished product is really rushed and sloppy, like Socom Confrontation. I can't imagine someone playing MNR on his final development stages and saying "that's good".

A question: it is possible that my friend can bring his customized mod and kart to play local multiplayer?

Shinriji

Yeah, good idea, but if I let they goof around the download center, they will say "oh, but I really want another Conan model" and we will never get any games going. It happened yesterday. :lol

Anyone here getting freezing issues? It's not a complete hard lockup of the PS3, because the XMB is still accessible, although it runs very slowly. Quitting the game once this happens will result in the PS3 rebooting with three beeps however.

Information around the net is really patchy, it's not isolated to me and it's not a slim/fat issue either. It is completely ruining my enjoyment of the game though. It can happen anywhere from 10 mins to 2 hours, during any mode of the game, and when it happens as you're putting the finishing touches on a creation it's completely crushing.

On the other hand it's not very widespread either. Anyone know more about it than I've been able to glean through a few google searches?

It's sad 'cos I love making tracks, I think I've spent more time making tracks and testing them than any other part of the game.

Doel

UFG is going to add friend support to XP Race and XP Series. Thank god! I asked and they responded :D (first comment/reply)

David2Crazy | June 14th, 2010 at 7:07 am
I think you REALLY need to add the ability to gain XP when playing with friends, even if its just half of a regular XP Race.
Since you don’t allow us to play with even 1 friend in XP race, XP race is a barren wasteland and everyone plays casual games. Motorstorm PR allowed us to play with up to other 3 friends in a ranked XP race, so I’m not quite sure why this feature was overlooked at UFG when you were creating the online for ModNation.
Otherwise though, I love the game, and the creation community is constantly turning out awesome new content.

William Ho | June 14th, 2010 at 9:59 am
We definitely want to allow Friends to compete in XP Races and XP Series together too. We’re working on it!

So I just tried to share my thoughts in the comments section of that blog. I typed up a really long message, hit post. It said it was too large. So I cut the second half and post with (more) under the message intending to post the second half underneath it. I click post, no message about it being too long, success!

I copy and paste the next bit and hit post, oops that one's too long too, so I cut the last sentence or so intending to post a 3rd one. I post, success! I go to check to see the posts real quick, and only the middle portion is there... so now my chance to try to get a dev response on my concerns is reduced to a mess of a post that makes no sense without the first part of it. I tried posting my first half with a note that it's meant to be prior to my other comment, but it keeps not letting me.

"Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!" lolwut

If anyone could post this on the comments section of that blog I'd REALLY appreciate it since currently my post on there makes little sense without this:

**This is meant to go before Leonidas2123's previous post. He thought his first post registered but it didn't and was unaware about the 1 post rule.**

I've spent around 115 hours into MNR and have been loving every minute; it's a blast. I think it's great that you guys are fixing the loading times among other things, and the fact that you keep us updated is greatly appreciated :) I'd like to take this opportunity, however, to share a concern I have.

What really bugs me as a creator is the fact that currently you are unable to make a change or tweak to a creation and republish over it and keep that items' stats. LBP was awesome in this regard. I probably republished my levels at least 10 to 20 times before I finally polished everything out. I understand that the file distribution system is completely different from LBP (in LBP you never actually download the levels, you stream them from the server) but there has to be a way for publishing to not lock out the creator's influence.

I even made another PSN account so I could post this and it still won't let me. Guessing because it detects my IP address. :/

Edit: Nvm, it's not a big deal.

This thread has died...it's depressing lol. I'll do my part and post some WIP screens of my latest mod. A StarCraft Ghost:

2mn0nl1.jpg
23uaekz.jpg
qnw5xt.jpg

It still needs work. I haven't started on his legs/feet yet, and there are other changes I am thinking about trying on his upper body/helmet but it's coming together decently I think.

Top Bottom