• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom goes off on store clerk who made racist comment to her kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Because a middle aged white lady working a minimum wage job in Indiana isn't gonna be educated/cultured enough to be able to recognize every traditional ethnic clothing in the world.

She's more likely to be NOT able to identify that specific garment.

Then she should have not said anything.

If your first act on encountering something you don't normally see is to clown on it? That is still not a good look or valid defense

Because a middle aged white lady working a minimum wage job in Indiana isn't gonna be educated/cultured enough to be able to recognize every traditional ethnic clothing in the world.

She's more likely to be NOT able to identify that specific garment.

It doesn't have to be every traditional ethnic clothing.

It does have to be the clothing of the people that have been in America since its inception, beaten and enslaved and threatened for even tangential links to their culture and heritage. America has spent way too much time trying to rewrite and disparage African imagery and history for me to believe that a middle age white lady with a minimum wage job has never seen anything like their clothes.

This is of course assuming that she suffers a mental condition that compels her to say stupid and disrespectful shit to people when she sees something new.

I'm still not sure. because a person doesn't know about another religion, and made a side comment that IMO wasn't offensive?
I make small talk, IMO was making small talk, not trying to insult.

This isn't about you. Why are you trying to make this about you. You don't get to determine how somebody feels about a comment. You don't get to determine what is or isn't offensive.

statham

Religion? Breh I don't buy that whites are that obtuse when they love copying everything we do. She didn't have to know what it was but it being some sort of culture clothing is obvious. White people have a nasty history of doing nasty things to blacks whenever they decide to embrace their native culture or create their own identity. This problem is like 4 centuries. They don't get a benefit of the doubt in situations like these with a history like that.

WTF? well, you kinda went to far, joke account confirmed. and ignored. try better next time.

I'm still not sure. because a person doesn't know about another religion, and made a side comment that IMO wasn't offensive?
I make small talk, IMO was making small talk, not trying to insult.

Doesn't matter what YOU think. The kids obviously found it offensive enough to mention to their parents. Their momma actually has a spine and courage to confront the bullshit. My mom wouldn't do that shit. She from the south in the 1950's. Her spirit been broken when it comes to shit like this.

But this lady? She ain't having it. She spends her hard earned money to enrich mofo's that don't give two shits about the neighborhood they're sucking the money from and then on top of that got the nerve to have employees making snide comments about the way customers are dressed?

I've worked retail. You don't do that. We had customers wearing all types of shit we had no clue what it was but we knew well enough not to say shit.

Small talk isn't condescending. It's "Hey, how about this weather, eh?".

This shit is so frustrating ROFL. Ain't no way in hell proper coexisting with others is going to work. We should have listened to X :lolololololololol

He did have something to say about building up our own neighborhood economy. Cause you can't even get respect spending your money on another's business IN your own hood.

all cleared up, dummies blocked.

Dude, if you're gonna block someone just do it. We don't need announcements in the thread.

Dai101

Banned
blocking everyone. I can't tell whos real or not, You guys are just insane,.

UnY2Qs4.gif

hypernima

Banned
It's kind of funny you know, when I was growing up I had to deal with so much shit about wearing a Sokoto and Buba set outside of West African circles. Don't even get me started on if I wore an Agbada.

There would be days where I would bring in pictures to school to show some people for projects or whatever. There was positive reaction but ten times more negative reaction to the clothing of my people. These reactions instilled a shame in me of wearing the clothing of my culture casually, even in the summer when it was most appropriate. But luckily I have decoded myself from the eurocentric standard of fashion that I grew up with. I make traditional clothing and some in the style adaptable to western tastes, but not to fit those tastes completely.

Events like these imprint onto a child trying to find their own. There's nothing wrong with the Ghanaian clothing in the video, these kids are brave because it took me to my adulthood to finally wear the clothing without address all the lil quips I received in the past as a child, and current day by some ignorant people.

psaman17

Banned
Then she should have not said anything.

If your first act on encountering something you don't normally see is to clown on it? That is still not a good look or valid defense

She shouldn't have said anything, that would've been the right thing to do. I"m sure even this white lady would agree. NOT one person in this entire thread said what she did was right. Some of us only said it wasn't racist.

Is ignorance the same as racism?

If she didn't know that it was a Traditional African garment, is her halloween joke racist or just a stupid one?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I need a trigger warning on videos of moms making scenes in public, please.

She shouldn't have said anything, that would've been the right thing to do. I"m sure even this white lady would agree. NOT one person in this entire thread said what she did was right. Some of us only said it wasn't racist.

Is ignorance the same as racism?

If she didn't know that it was a Traditional African garment, is her halloween joke racist or just a stupid one?

There are many many places where ignorance and racism overlap. This is one of them. Stop excusing this shit as ignorance. She saw young Black kids dressed in ethnic garb an made a snide ass racist comment.

She knew what it was when she saw Black kids wearing it. She was a bigoted asshole with her comment. She doesn't have to know the exact name of it. But she sees it on Black folks and decide to be rude. How is that NOT racism?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn she brought a nuke to a gun fight.

The cashier would have been fine if she just asked if they were wearing the garments for a special occasion. Would still show ignorance, but a learning one. She was making a joke.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You will never have to defend your child on the basis of their skin tone, and ethnic background. .

OOOOH REAAAAAALLLLLLLY?

Luckily for you this hasn't already happened a few times with my biracial child and you caught me in a racist trap....

Look, there are plenty of dumbass racists in this thread. My issue here is literally cursing and exposure. I'm like, Casper white. But it's dumb to make assumptions and WORSE to simplify racism.

Racism is 200% real and complex. But if we simplify it like this, and ignore the fact that ONE OF OUR PREDIENTIAL CANDIDATES is a naked and avowed racist then we're wasting focus.

I PREFER that we deal with racism and every other issue as complex. Because it is.

Biske

Hot damn, I love a good rant.

So many great lines, such good flow, hard hitting.

"came in this store to spend money up in this raggedy mother fucker"

Fuck. Yes.

Tagg9

Entertaining to watch, but she mishandled the situation by going back in and outright yelling at the cashier. Sets a bad example in front of her kids that the only way to deal with these types of problems is by entering into a screaming match.

Christ, the comments on that video make me weep for humanity. Mom did good. Clerk knew what she was doing with that shitty comment.

Entertaining to watch, but she mishandled the situation by going back in and outright yelling at the cashier. Sets a bad example in front of her kids that the only way to deal with these types of problems is by entering into a screaming match.

Or it's sets an example that one shouldn't allow themselves to be bullied by ignorant bigots. The mom touched on her yelling by explaining that she feels it's the only way that cashier will listen. Sadly sues probably right.

But I'm more offended by the comment that started it than the mothers reaction. I just wish there was more condemnation for the former instead of the latter. But I'm not shocked.

Christ, the comments on that video make me weep for humanity. Mom did good. Clerk knew what she was doing with that shitty comment.

Comments are indicative of what most would LIKE to say in public most of the time but can't cause we don't tolerate that shit. Lucky for them we tolerating it a little more each day.

Soon it'll be like the good ole days my parents taught me about.

Youtube comment sections are where tact and brain cells go to die, so i highly recommend avoiding. It's 90% "vote trump" shit if race ,feminism, "sjw" etc. is involved

It was at very best, even if you give her the utmost benefit of the doubt, an incredibly stupid and ignorant thing to say. If you encounter anybody that happens to be dressed differently than you are accustomed to and it's not the end of October, asking them if they are going trick or treating is just stupid. Especially if you work in the service industry. Have some goddamn common sense.

Dai101

Banned

Tagg9
Quality arguments are not my strong point.

Duly noted.

Cashier made a dumb comment but

HOT DAMN

that woman was heated

You know how much shit they must get for not conforming to Eurocentric dress? And to get it from a cashier at your local store (that odds are ain't doing shit for your community except sucking the finances out of it)? Yea she mad.

SystemBug

OOOOH REAAAAAALLLLLLLY?

Luckily for you this hasn't already happened a few times with my biracial child and you caught me in a racist trap....

Look, there are plenty of dumbass racists in this thread. My issue here is literally cursing and exposure. I'm like, Casper white. But it's dumb to make assumptions and WORSE to simplify racism.

Racism is 200% real and complex. But if we simplify it like this, and ignore the fact that ONE OF OUR PREDIENTIAL CANDIDATES is a naked and avowed racist then we're wasting focus.

I PREFER that we deal with racism and every other issue as complex. Because it is.

I am not simplifying racism. I am saying people are fed up. Hundreds of years of "exposure" and shit is still the same. I get called racial slurs when I wear my traditional clothing or I'm seen as some sort of clown for wearing it. If some adult picked on my kid you bet I would go off on them like the women did here. Because at that point I'm not just standing up for myself, or my child, i am standing up for my race, and my culture. I am standing up for other parents who go through this shit.

and I apologize, i didn't know you had a biracial child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom