• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom goes off on store clerk who made racist comment to her kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelatedBookake

I think some people in this thread shouldn't be afraid to label certain situations as racist as that doesn't make the person in a situation racist. And I do believe the clerk did deserve to get reprimanded but yelling up a storm in public like that? I don't want to say the mom could of handled it a different way because I don't wanna get accused of "endorsing the submissiveness of black people" or something (I'm black btw) but am I wrong for believing yelling up a storm in public isn't a good thing here?

Mr. X

Please be polite and don't swear at the lady who made a racist comment to some kids, there are children present. Y'know the kids who just endured the racist comment.

I think some people in this thread shouldn't be afraid to label certain situations as racist as that doesn't make the person in a situation racist. And I do believe the clerk did deserve to get reprimanded but yelling up a storm in public like that? I don't want to say the mom could of handled it a different way because I don't wanna get accused of "endorsing the submissiveness of black people" or something (I'm black btw) but am I wrong for believing yelling up a storm in public isn't a good thing here?

The real issue is why are you and others focused more on her yelling as a negative than the actual offensive comment by the clerk?

It's irrelevant to me given the context of the clerks comments to her children yet it remains a point of focus for some. Really dig deep and ask why that is.

Aselith

Ok in which case going nuts on someone still doesn't solve anything. As is almost always the case, screaming and swearing at people doesn't fix or prove anything.

I'm sure it'll solve her ignorant ass asking about clothes like it's a costume instead of saying "those clothes are beautiful" ie something kind instead of insulting shit.

*Sees lady with a lot of make up* "Are you in a circus, hunny? I didn't mean nothing just ignorant teehee!"

Tagg9

Or it's sets an example that one shouldn't allow themselves to be bullied by ignorant bigots. The mom touched on her yelling by explaining that she feels it's the only way that cashier will listen. Sadly sues probably right.

But I'm more offended by the comment that started it than the mothers reaction. I just wish there was more condemnation for the former instead of the latter. But I'm not shocked.

So you legitimately think that making a massive scene like that and giving her children even more unwanted attention was the best solution?

She should have tactfully walked up to the ignorant cashier, taken her aside, and then given her a piece of her mind. Will the cashier remember this incident more because she was being yelled and literally had every customer's attention focused on her? Of course. But the children also look awkward and embarrassed to be there, and that is the mother's doing (not the store clerk). Additionally, this encourages her kids to tackle their own future conflicts with aggression instead of diplomatically.

Tagg9
Quality arguments are not my strong point.

Duly noted.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation. If you have a counterpoint, let's hear it.

So you legitimately think that making a massive scene like that and giving her children even more unwanted attention was the best solution?

She should have tactfully walked up to the ignorant cashier, taken her aside, and then given her a piece of her mind. Will the cashier remember this incident more because she was being yelled and literally had every customer's attention focused on her? Of course. But the children also look awkward and embarrassed to be there, and that is the mother's doing (not the store clerk). Additionally, this encourages her kids to tackle their own future conflicts with aggression instead of diplomatically.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation. If you have a counterpoint, let's hear it.

Once again I think it's very telling that you seem more concerned about the mother making a scene than the ignorant and bigoted cashier that started the entire fiasco to begin with.

Once again the onus is on Black people to deal with ignorant shit like this with humility and grace instead of the burden being on the god damned motherfucking bigot to shut the fuck up and keep her dumb shit to herself.

How about instead of talking about what the mother shouldn't have done in reaction to this you talk about what the cashier shouldn't have done.

Go on, I'll wait....

PixelatedBookake

The real issue is why are you and others focused more on her yelling as a negative than the actual offensive comment by the clerk?

It's irrelevant to me given the context of the clerks comments to her children yet it remains a point of focus for some. Really dig deep and ask why that is.

I believe that the people like me who are focusing on the yelling mom are doing so because that is what was captured on video. Personally, I dislike to see conflicts being escalated with yelling and screaming and try to avoid situations like this. But, thinking about it now, if I had children and a similar situation happened to them plus the racial tension blacks have faced from whites for generations, I couldn't 100% say I wouldn't go off on the woman for making a comment like that.

Mr. X

Excuse me dear cashier, but I have reason to believe you made a rude remark to my children about their clothing. I find this incredibly unsettling and have printed out this wikipedia page about their clothing and the culture for you to read to so you are better learned to handle yourself in the future. I know that your inappropriate comment is just a manifestation of ignorance of other cultures, not spite are different than your own and I am willing to forgive.

NimbusD

And she was right to be furious but I'm not sure how good the lesson to her kids is with the cursing and screaming.

She's even cursing at the guy on the phone.

Yell. Make a scene. Or curse out of earshot of the kids. But cursing in front of your kids is counterproductive.

*rolls eyes*

Yeah horrible example. A much more shitty example would be her just accepting it and pretending it didn't exist. Her kids get to see a strong woman who doesn't let people shit all over the people she's there to protect.

My mom would've done the same thing.

Tagg9

But the clerk's feelings tho

FOH

No one is defending the clerk? She deserved what she got.

We're defending the children, who: a) were the recipient of racist comments, b) were likely embarrassed and given more undue attention when their mother started yelling to defend them, and c) are being incorrectly taught that this is the proper way to handle these situations.

Love watching racists get put in their place. You can't be anywhere, much less in a black neighborhood, saying that kind of mess and not expect to get called out and publicly shamed for it.

We're defending the children, who: a) were the recipient of racist comments, b) were likely embarrassed and given more undue attention when their mother started yelling to defend them, and c) are being incorrectly taught that this is the proper way to handle these situations.

Listen, not all kids need to be sheltered and protected. Sometimes this is exactly what kids need to see. It's called experience and growing up. No matter what you might think about how this mother approached the situation, it was every bit more important that this mother show her kids she is willing to go the extra mile to defend their right to wear whatever they feel comfortable wearing. Their mother showcased in as raw a fashion as possible that her kids don't need to be ashamed and shouldn't be ridiculed for any personal pride they take in their culture.

PixelatedBookake

If this prevents the clerk from making comments like that in the future and shows others how this would offend their culture, I can see the point of the mom reaching her boiling point and going off on her to show the effect racism can have on people.

I believe that the people like me who are focusing on the yelling mom are doing so because that is what was captured on video. Personally, I dislike to see conflicts being escalated with yelling and screaming and try to avoid situations like this. But, thinking about it now, if I had children and a similar situation happened to them plus the racial tension blacks have faced from whites for generations, I couldn't 100% say I wouldn't go off on the woman for making a comment like that.

Some of us can't avoid shit like this. Plenty of us tried to put our fingers in our ears and pretend racism isn't real but then you encounter shit like this and get fucking fed up.

Fuck that. Tired of being told how we should handle shit. As if if we only had the correct approach people like the cashier wouldn't say fucked up snide ass shit to kids.

Then again she prolly thought they were older than they were....

Who are you to say she's teaching her children incorrectly? "It's okay to react angrily to casual racism" seems like a pretty good lesson to me.

Absolutely not okay to start questioning her parenting here.

What's the proper way to handle the situation. Please tell us cause we obviously do not know and need your benevolent instruction....

She handled it fine. Don't assume kid is embarrassed. Just as likely they proud of their mom putting that jerk in her place and refusing to be submissive about it.

Sometime you gotta show your kids to stand up for themselves. That isn't always pretty.

Fuck the alternative: that they should grow to be quiet and humble in the face of racism and bigotry.

Mailbox

Probably because civil discourse is important in a functional society and at worst this situation was a ignorant micro-aggression that could have been resolved in a manor fitting of the infraction. In this case, a simple reprimand and education would have been enough and more beneficial to the situation.

No one is really saying that the Clerk did nothing wrong. She did. The question then stands what was the severity of what she did and what should be the proper social discourse should be applied. If the Clerk had called the child a slur or some blatant shit I REALLY don't think anyone would be saying ANYTHING in this thread defending her. Rather, some believe that the punishment did not justify the crime.

I also don't understand how everyone in this thread somehow expects people to know traditional garb when they see it. I know I personally have never seen that article of clothing, nor the design of it pretty much ever, much less in a western country. Being confused is kinda normal, and the expectation that people HAVE TO KNOW just because we have all the info in our pockets is being a bit on a high horse. If nothing in her life has ever asked of her to know of such information, then why should there be an expectation of her to know it? If you are pissed at that prospect, then go your congressman or protest about the current education system and its poor representation of the clothing and of the people. (Again, just so that people don't put words in my mouth, the Clerk did wrong. I'm just saying that a lapse in knowledge in and of itself shouldn't be demonized)

For some perspective, I'm Canadian and I sure as hell don't know every kind of traditional clothing Aboriginal People had, nor any French or Metis clothing. Am I expected to?

Pretty much this. I'm someone that hates to see yelling. Why? It solves jack shit. I 100% get why she is yelling but I get why people don't like that she is yelling because it's not going to solve anything. you aren't trying to give said person more info on why it was wrong with what they said and how they said it. Educating is the best thing to help someone not make a comment like that again. Actually it will help find out if they care to better themselfs or not. I know this might get twisted into some "Oh you are on the casher side." or some bs but it isn't. I feel like she should have handled it better but I'm not going to say she is wrong for yelling either. It just won't solve anything.

Mr. X

Pretty much this. I'm someone that hates to see yelling. Why? It solves jack shit. I 100% get why she is yelling but I get why people don't like that she is yelling because it's not going to solve anything. you aren't trying to give said person more info on why it was wrong with what they said and how they said it. Educating is the best thing to help someone not make a comment like that again. Actually it will help find out if they care to better themselfs or not. I know this might get twisted into some "Oh you are on the casher side." or some bs but it isn't. I feel like she should have handled it better but I'm not going to say she is wrong for yelling either. It just won't solve anything.

Who would've thought the cure for racism was this simple.

PixelatedBookake

Some of us can't avoid shit like this. Plenty of us tried to put our fingers in our ears and pretend racism isn't real but then you encounter shit like this and get fucking fed up.

Fuck that. Tired of being told how we should handle shit. As if if we only had the correct approach people like the cashier wouldn't say fucked up snide ass shit to kids.

Then again she prolly thought they were older than they were....

And yeah, I totally get it. I grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood/town in metro Atlanta so I can't say I've experienced my fair share of racism, and as a Nigerian, I can see how my native clothing can confuse people unfamiliar with the culture so a situation like this is not outside my realm of reality or anything. And I want to believe that someone could flip the script on this whole situation and turn it into something less shitty but its not possible and those who have attempted to do so in this thread have failed. If the mom's behavior can mean less people can question our culture and people see this video as an example of how everyone doesn't react to racism the same way and how it can really get to people, then good for us.

Breads

Banned

She should have tactfully walked up to the ignorant cashier, taken her aside, and then given her a piece of her mind. Will the cashier remember this incident more because she was being yelled and literally had every customer's attention focused on her? Of course. But the children also look awkward and embarrassed to be there, and that is the mother's doing (not the store clerk). Additionally, this encourages her kids to resolve disagreements in their future with aggression instead of diplomatically.
I legitimately think it was the best solution. And why not.

To who's end does a more diplomatic resolution serve. Neither the mother nor her children provoked the disrespect they were forced to suffer that day and it's not like she burned the place down. The mother felt like a lesson need to be taught and you can bet that her children and the cashier will remember it. Children aren't mindless drones who will suddenly be emboldened to end every disagreement with yelling and profanity. If it did have a lasting effect she taught her kids what righteous indignation looks like. She made a scene by outwardly expressing what she was forced to feel internally and some people seem to have a problem with that. This kind of thing doesn't belong in polite society you say? Well fuck that. Being polite is what keeps this sort of thing going. They didn't value respecting other cultures so why appeal to them within the realm of their own sensibility. Shame them and maybe they will learn to start caring out of their own self interest.

Mailbox

What's the proper way to handle the situation. Please tell us cause we obviously do not know and need your benevolent instruction....

She handled it fine. Don't assume kid is embarrassed. Just as likely they proud of their mom putting that jerk in her place and refusing to be submissive about it.

Sometime you gotta show your kids to stand up for themselves. That isn't always pretty.

Fuck the alternative: that they should grow to be quiet and humble in the face of racism and bigotry.

I honestly don't think that people are saying in ANY way that this is the alternative. Some have said that a reprimand should have been in order. No one is saying that they just should have taken it. Jesus, its not just 1 extreme or another you know!

I'm of this mind as well. Grew up in a household that had a lot of yelling and had negativity around me all the time. Yelling at people doesn't do jack shit. Education, integration, and understanding grows change.

Who would've thought the cure for racism was this simple.

Does this comment also come with the assumption that yelling amounts to racial equality? Not integration in schools or better education or better legislation or better state/provincial/etc financing/ policing etc etc?

Probably because civil discourse is important in a functional society and at worst this situation was a ignorant micro-aggression that could have been resolved in a manor fitting of the infraction. In this case, a simple reprimand and education would have been enough and more beneficial to the situation.

No one is really saying that the Clerk did nothing wrong. She did. The question then stands what was the severity of what she did and what should be the proper social discourse should be applied. If the Clerk had called the child a slur or some blatant shit I REALLY don't think anyone would be saying ANYTHING in this thread defending her. Rather, some believe that the punishment did not justify the crime.

I also don't understand how everyone in this thread somehow expects people to know traditional garb when they see it. I know I personally have never seen that article of clothing, nor the design of it pretty much ever, much less in a western country. Being confused is kinda normal, and the expectation that people HAVE TO KNOW just because we have all the info in our pockets is being a bit on a high horse. If nothing in her life has ever asked of her to know of such information, then why should there be an expectation of her to know it? If you are pissed at that prospect, then go your congressman or protest about the current education system and its poor representation of the clothing and of the people. (Again, just so that people don't put words in my mouth, the Clerk did wrong. I'm just saying that a lapse in knowledge in and of itself shouldn't be demonized)

For some perspective, I'm Canadian and I sure as hell don't know every kind of traditional clothing Aboriginal People had, nor any French or Metis clothing. Am I expected to?

No shit you're not expected to. But then if you're a cashier you're expected to shut the fuck up and keep snide comments to yourself about it. How are you having trouble figuring this part out? You don't have to know what it is to come to the conclusion you shouldn't try and poke fun at it. It's condescending and rude. The fact that she thought she could say it to black kids on the job speaks to her bigotry.

If the cashier wanted civil discourse she should learn to think before she speaks.

Not going to expect the mom to be docile because you demand civil discourse for the betterment of society blah blah blah.

Once again it's up to the mom to deal with bigotry and ignorance the "right" way rather than the onus being on the cashier. Disgusting.

Mr. X

Umm the sad thing is it is but guess what? People won't listen. As I said she is right in yelling but is that the best way to handle the situation? No it isn't.

Here's a fun fact: Telling people who want to hurt you that what they're doing is hurting you doesn't make them feel bad at all. Knowing that you and others will forcefully defend yourself is what scares them into acting right.

Tagg9

I already told you how the mother should handle the situation - walk up to the cashier without her kids, take her aside, and then give her a piece of her mind. No one has explained to me yet how publicly shouting at the clerk in front of her kids is better than doing so without her kids present.

I also didn't suggest that she should ignore the racist comment? I absolutely agree that racism should be tackled head on.

Your entire argument here is that two wrongs make a right. They don't. The mother had the chance of taking the high road and maturely putting the cashier in her place, but instead she took herself down to a similar level.

Plenty have defended the clerk.

Plenty have said nah not racist, that's defending the clerk.

PixelatedBookake

I legitimately think it was the best solution. And why not.

To who's end does a more diplomatic resolution serve. Neither the mother nor her children provoked the disrespect they were forced to suffer that day and it's not like she burned the place down. The mother felt like a lesson need to be taught and you can bet that her children and the cashier will remember it. Children aren't mindless drones who will suddenly be emboldened to end every disagreement with yelling and profanity. If it did have a lasting effect she taught her kids what righteous indignation looks like. She made a scene by outwardly expressing what she was forced to feel internally and some people seem to have a problem with that. This kind of thing doesn't belong in polite society you say? Well fuck that. Being polite is what keeps this sort of thing going. They didn't value respecting other cultures so why appeal to them within the realm of their own sensibility. Shame them and maybe they will learn to start caring out of their own self interest.

Mom is justified, those kids have seen and heard worse. Fuck that clerk, and fuck her harder for trying to deflect blame. It's the middle of fucking September! Just allow yourself to be called out!

They can and will find a way to be a victim. That's why I don't like explaining stuff to them.

The escalation of rhetoric on this forum, man.

You're expected not to think they're wearing a Halloween costume in mod September. You're expected not to say that out loud.

That's what you're expected

I honestly don't think that people are saying in ANY way that this is the alternative. Some have said that a reprimand should have been in order. No one is saying that they just should have taken it. Jesus, its not just 1 extreme or another you know!

I'm of this mind as well. Grew up in a household that had a lot of yelling and had negativity around me all the time. Yelling at people doesn't do jack shit. Education, integration, and understanding grows change.

Does this comment also come with the assumption that yelling amounts to racial equality? Not integration in schools or better education or better legislation or better state/provincial/etc financing/ policing etc etc?

Fucking shame the mothers reactions bothers you more than the actual incident that sparked it.

I already told you how the mother should handle the situation - walk up to the cashier without her kids, take her aside, and then give her a piece of her mind. No one has explained to me yet how publicly shouting at the clerk in front of her kids is better than doing so without her kids present.

I also didn't suggest that she should ignore the racist comment? I absolutely agree that racism should be tackled head on.

Your entire argument here is that two rights make a wrong. They don't. The mother had the chance of taking the high road and maturely putting the cashier in her place, but instead she took herself down to a similar level.

Fuck a false equivalence that both are wrong. The mother isn't wrong. Fuck that. She wanted to call the woman out publicly so she couldn't ignore it. Everyone got to see what happened. Now they know. That was the point of expressing it the way she did.

I love how we continue to dissect the mothers actions but the bigot? Nope.

But only in such a way that nobody is made uncomfortable, apparently.

But...for the children?

Mailbox

No shit you're not expected to. But then if you're a cashier you're expected to shut the fuck up and keep snide comments to yourself about it. How are you having trouble figuring this part out? You don't have to know what it is to come to the conclusion you shouldn't try and poke fun at it. It's condescending and rude. The fact that she thought she could say it to black kids on the job speaks to her bigotry.

If the cashier wanted civil discourse she should learn to think before she speaks.

Not going to expect the mom to be docile because you demand civil discourse for the betterment of society blah blah blah.

Once again it's up to the mom to deal with bigotry and ignorance the "right" way rather than the onus being on the cashier. Disgusting.

You have issues with projecting.
I never said that the cashier did anything right. I just said that the ignorance shouldn't IN AND OF ITSELF be demonized, rather (as implied but you are so easy to outrage that you didn't seem to see) the actions around that ignorance is what should be talked about.

I never said about any "right" way or dumb shit. I was simply implying that there was less theatrical and escalation needed in that situation. I never said she should have been Docile. NOT ONCE did I say anything of the sort. You have OPTIONS is what I'm implying. You seem to have it in your head that its 1 extreme or the other when that is NEVER the case.

Yell or accept. Scream or docile. There is no in between for you. if you would, imagine an outrage dial. 1 to 10. its not a switch. it has 10 settings. Not every single damn situation requires a 8-10. sometimes a 6 or a 7 will do. Something that gets the point across. That makes the person really reflect on their actions. That makes them see "SHit.. i've really done something wrong... I should change that, I should be better"

You're expected not to think they're wearing a Halloween costume in mod September. You're expected not to say that out loud.

That's what you're expected

And THAT is completely fair, I agree. I was just making a statement to a couple of poster implying that there is no excuse in not knowing whatsoever about the clothing.

Fucking shame the mothers reactions bothers you more than the actual incident that sparked it.

Yeah... its almost as if I already agreed that the Clerk was in the wrong and that the video only has the contents of the mothers reaction to which, we are all reacting to now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am not simplifying racism. I am saying people are fed up. Hundreds of years of "exposure" and shit is still the same. I get called racial slurs when I wear my traditional clothing or I'm seen as some sort of clown for wearing it. If some adult picked on my kid you bet I would go off on them like the women did here. Because at that point I'm not just standing up for myself, or my child, i am standing up for my race, and my culture. I am standing up for other parents who go through this shit.

and I apologize, i didn't know you had a biracial child.

My biracial child is largely an object of love and mild confusion. Hardly buys me a racism pass. I genuinely care about showing anger and aggression to kids. However maybe that has no business in a thread about racism. Lady isn't just mad about yesterday. She's righteously mad about two or three hundred years of that, that isn't fixed yet.

PixelatedBookake

I never said that the cashier did anything right. I just said that the ignorance shouldn't IN AND OF ITSELF be demonized, rather (as implied but you are so easy to outrage that you didn't seem to see) the actions around that ignorance is what should be talked about.

I never said about any "right" way or dumb shit. I was simply implying that there was less theatrical and escalation needed in that situation. I never said she should have been Docile. NOT ONCE did I say anything of the sort. You have OPTIONS is what I'm implying. You seem to have it in your head that its 1 extreme or the other when that is NEVER the case.

Yell or accept. Scream or docile. There is no in between for you. if you would, imagine an outrage dial. 1 to 10. its not a switch. it has 10 settings. Not every single damn situation requires a 8-10. sometimes a 6 or a 7 will do. Something that gets the point across. That makes the person really reflect on their actions. That makes them see "SHit.. i've really done something wrong... I should change that, I should be better"

I understand why the screaming had to happen, but I respect and understand why you feel this way and in most cases, I would agree.

And THAT is completely fair, I agree. I was just making a statement to a couple of poster implying that there is no excuse in not knowing whatsoever about the clothing.

Stop excusing the cashier as only ignorant. Cut that shit out. You REALLY REALLY think she bought it was Halloween? Or was she being an intentional asshole?

If you saying over and over how she too loud you're implying she need to be quiet. Handle it quietly. Aka: be humble and docile and act like fucking Morgan freeman in driving miss daisy and win her the fuck over through love and compassion.

Well I said I got no more of that shit for bigots. Fresh on Empty. No more in the tank.

Her children were insulted cause they didn't dress like Eurocentric folks should and yourbtakenaway is the mom could have done better? Fuck outta here.

Breads

Banned
if you would, imagine an outrage dial. 1 to 10. its not a switch. it has 10 settings. Not every single damn situation requires a 8-10. sometimes a 6 or a 7 will do. Something that
I imagined a dial. This is how it reads.

10 - human extinction
9 - genocide
8 - war
7 - mass shooting
6 - murder
5 - rioting
4 - violence
3 - assembly
2 - yelling
1 - talking

A 2 doesn't seem so bad.

Mr. X

Don't protest in the streets, think about hypothetical emergency vehicles
Don't protest by sitting during the anthem, think about the troops.
Don't yell and swear at the racist comments toward children, think about the children who might learn to defend themselves.

Here's a fun fact: Telling people who want to hurt you that what they're doing is hurting you doesn't make them feel bad at all. Knowing that you and others will defend yourself is what scares them into acting right.

You don't want to "scare" people into acting away. That's just wrong on so many levels.If someone is a racist you can't change that with yelling or education. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is this lady made a stupid comment and to help her in the future to not make a comment like that again to anyone a lesson on why the kids are wearing those clothing and why it offended her kids. Two possibilities come out of this. One she doesn't listen and goes on being a racist bitch. Two she learns what she said is wrong and learns why comments like this can offend someone. Is this going to be a 50/50 deal? No because I don't know her history or her. But I'll bet you one thing this didn't solve anything.

Kaeprnick sat quietly and didn't say a fucking thing.

And I'm 100% on his side.

I think the main point some of you are missing is I don't think she is wrong with what she did. I just think there are better ways with handling it because I have seen this way solve nothing other than cause more hate. I can't convince you other wise and I'm not going to try to. I'm just stating why I think educating someone about why there acting is wrong is the best form of fixing the problem and you don't have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom