• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

duckroll

This is definitely not my experience at all, I tried just now. Took 10 minutes to get into a game and then two players dropped making it pretty pointless. Tried to get another game going but nobody would join. I'm wondering if people are rinsing the game get frustrated with me because I have no idea what I'm doing and they're replaying for high scores or achievements... I had this problem with Portal 2 co-op.

Curious are you in the US? I'm wondering if the game has more appeal there purely 'cause of the grassroots efforts at PAX etc. Maybe the game will get some more buzz but right now I'm thinking about sitting on the game until it's in a sale and more people are playing it.

Did you try messing with the region filter?

Also, if you're not familiar with the game, I would recommend playing SP first anyway, or MP with people you know. The MP in this game is not really designed to be played with random strangers when you don't know what you're doing. It's kinda a waste of everyone's time unless you know them personally and everyone is learning together.

You can try setting the connection mode to LAN in the options.

We did try that but then I couldn't find the game he set up. The list of games was empty. Is there something that I have to do differently at that point? I don't know.

What we did discover was that if we plugged both of our controllers into his computer, we could both play on his screen.

Id prefer to play on my own screen though. Then we could even maybe get my sister in using the discovered method of 2 controllers on one screen with me on my own. That'd be cool.

AWintory

Neo Member
Hey everyone I'm like 2 weeks late to posting on this thread but I just wanted to thank everyone for checking out MONACO and looks like by and large there's plenty of enjoyment being had. :)

In case you didn't know the OST, a bonus album, and a bundle of the two can be found here: http://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/

I *think* that Andy Schatz and I are gonna do an AMA on Friday so keep an eye out in case there's any questions (I'm just the music monkey so networking issues I'm useless to you for). Can't overstate how fun this game was - as opposite JOURNEY as I could imagine.

As an OT side note, please check this out: it's free, and details are found in description:
http://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/the-forge

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Had a weird glitch last night where my character continued to move downward and I couldn't stop it. Exiting the game I was in and reentering did nothing, had to completely exit Monaco for it to fix itself. Anyone else experience this?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hey everyone I'm like 2 weeks late to posting on this thread but I just wanted to thank everyone for checking out MONACO and looks like by and large there's plenty of enjoyment being had. :)

In case you didn't know the OST, a bonus album, and a bundle of the two can be found here: http://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/

I *think* that Andy Schatz and I are gonna do an AMA on Friday so keep an eye out in case there's any questions (I'm just the music monkey so networking issues I'm useless to you for). Can't overstate how fun this game was - as opposite JOURNEY as I could imagine.

As an OT side note, please check this out: it's free, and details are found in description:

Woah, glad you stopped by man! Your music is really something and it helps pull the game together so well. One second it's suave as hell, the next it's full tilt three stooges panic mode.

Hey guys, I'm on the PC version, and I have a 1/4 lobby right now on the "Au Revoir" mission of the Pickpocket's story (2nd to last mission). There don't seem to be many biters right now, but maybe one of you'd want to join?

Edit: full

Edit 2: God damn that level is hard. 2 hours later and I'm out for the night, will try again tomorrow.

Qvoth

holy shit are you austin wintory?
off topic i know but i just gotta say i LOVE apotheosis

Con_Smith

Banned
Anyone up for a game right now? I'm on the scorpion level for the lockpick missions and would love to play with some fellow gaffers. Xbox tag: loki2kx

StarkFist

Yep. It looks wonderful and runs well, but after playing for a bit this afternoon I couldn't find too many people online. Maybe it's an issue with matchmaking? Or maybe it's an early adopter thing... either way, the game itself is great.

I did have 2 instances of the game freezing within 3 or 4 hours of play, which is rather annoying. No other glitches to report though.

Damn, for so much hype, I'm not sure I've seen interest just disappear so quick. Am I missing anything?

I realize that indie co-op stealthy unique art isn't the most attractive genre, but there should be more buzz, shouldn't there?

I've put in a couple hours exclusively playing with 2 other friends and we're still scratching our heads from time to time. The reviews were praising the intuitive nature, but I'm having a really hard time catching on. Maybe a combo of the look with a ton of new things that they throw at you...?

Little disappointed, I guess. But not giving up!

Niraj

Pearls Before Swine level is evil. Just plain evil.

No shit man. Can't be said enough. The penultimate level is a giant pain in the ass too.

Damn, for so much hype, I'm not sure I've seen interest just disappear so quick. Am I missing anything?

I realize that indie co-op stealthy unique art isn't the most attractive genre, but there should be more buzz, shouldn't there?

I've put in a couple hours exclusively playing with 2 other friends and we're still scratching our heads from time to time. The reviews were praising the intuitive nature, but I'm having a really hard time catching on. Maybe a combo of the look with a ton of new things that they throw at you...?

I don't know, I think it's pretty satisfying when you have a good team going. But you're right, there's not a huge amount of interest seems like. I played through most of the second campaign to help a friend out, and we were easily getting daily ranks of 1-2, maybe 5-10 at the worst, which seems super generous. Maybe people just give up after the first campaign, not sure.

Then again, I just about always fill up my games, so hard to say. Could just be playing at odd times.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I found the difficulty didn't scale fast enough, only a few of the stages presented an actual challenge. There's the upcoming level editor, hoping that gets addressed.

Ledsen

Me and a couple of guys are still playing, slowly but surely. Great game to have as a go-to multiplayer game. We haven't even finished half the game in like 6-8 hours.

duckroll

I just don't think there's much to talk about regarding the game. I'm still playing it, but what's there to say really? If I'm not playing the game, I don't really think much about it. It's basically an action puzzle game which shines most when it's being played, since you'll be communicating with the other players on how to approach a certain room, or figuring out the layout and the obstacles around the objectives, etc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

The game is simply not as good as all the hype and hope made it out to be beforehand. The game has tons of issues game design wise that dont make it overly appealing to play. Its still a decent action arcade game, but its simply not fun or varied enough for me. Thats why I (and probably others) forgot fast about it. Played it for a few hours on launch, got disappointed, barely thought about it since. There are plenty of other Indies out there which were more interesting to play lately, so I didnt feel any reason to dwell on my disappointment and moved on.

Ledsen

The game is simply not as good as all the hype and hope made it out to be beforehand. The game has tons of issues game design wise that dont make it overly appealing to play. Its still a decent action arcade game, but its simply not fun or varied enough for me. Thats why I (and probably others) forgot fast about it. Played it for a few hours on launch, got disappointed, barely thought about it since. There are plenty of other Indies out there which were more interesting to play lately, so I didnt feel any reason to dwell on my disappointment and moved on.

I think you should give it another chance thb. I agree with the other guy saying the difficulty curve ramps up way too slowly, but once it gets going it's a ton of fun.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why this game isn't getting more love, it's soo much fun with 3 or 4 people.

I bought this on XBLA and I'm not having much fun at all. Maybe it's the fact that I'm playing solo, and I don't like the game's style at all. Not sure. I was going to have a friend buy it, but I can't recommend it to him on good conscience.

JulianImp

I have yet to try playing online multiplayer, since I fear I might get thrown into a team whose skil lfar outclasses mine and I end up being the guy who drags everyone down.

Does anyone have any random MP experiences to share? It'd be great to play with a team that communicates over mic and doesn't talk down less skilled players.

I'm surprised at how much I've been enjoying this game. I was following the development for a while, and I started to get turned off seeing the later preview videos--the busyness of the levels combined with the simplistic art style made it seem very hard to read on screen. Combined with the fact that it looks like a stealth game but doesn't really play like one made me worried. But I bought it anyway on XBLA after all the positive reception and it's fantastic. It's the type of game you don't grok until you actually play it.

Not only that, but almost all of my playtime has been the single player so far, which is so satisfying. I love the experience of exploring what seems to be a complicated and oblique level until it becomes familiar and your route through it becomes rote. That gradual transition from mysterious labyrinth to obstacle course in this game feels compelling in the same way that Thief and Dishonored do.

I hope to play though with friends as well, and am interested to see how much it changes the experience.

Niraj

I have yet to try playing online multiplayer, since I fear I might get thrown into a team whose skil lfar outclasses mine and I end up being the guy who drags everyone down.

Does anyone have any random MP experiences to share? It'd be great to play with a team that communicates over mic and doesn't talk down less skilled players.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Even the best made plans have a tendency to blow up from a nosy guard or a tripped alarm. It's much more frantic. As long as you're helping with the coins and helping to revive, you're fine. I haven't seen anybody talk down to anyone else in probably 10+ sessions.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Even the best made plans have a tendency to blow up from a nosy guard or a tripped alarm. It's much more frantic. As long as you're helping with the coins and helping to revive, you're fine. I haven't seen anybody talk down to anyone else in probably 10+ sessions.

Yeah. For multiplayer games, it's pretty much expected that an alarm is going to trip or guards start shooting. I haven't experienced any rage in games. The most you'll get are people abandoning games and that's probably due to lag.

Finally maxed the last mission in the Pickpocket campaign. Damn, that's one unforgiving mission.

Is there anyway to max the final regular campaign mission? Or is that not possible due to the mechanic?

delume

Revisited actually playing video games after a long stint with model and card gaming (X-wing and Netrunner), the lure of E3 mania was just too much to resist. Downloaded this game and am loving it. Have yet to try the multiplayer where I am sure it would shine but even the single player is exciting and charming. I haven't felt like such a sneaky bugger since probably Chaos Theory. The Penny Arcade comic for it is perfect: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/26

duckroll

Finally beat the entire game today. It was really a blast in multiplayer. Mid-way through the Pickpocket campaign I felt the single player value of the game started to nosedive because of the ways the levels were designed. It was getting harder and harder, and was way more fun to play with a 4 player team with lots of different options for every scenario, rather than using a single character to slowly plough through the stage. It wasn't impossible, just more time consuming and a little boring. But in multiplayer the game remained extremely fun. Too bad the netcode seems pretty iffy.

I have to give the game respect for the way the final mission in both campaigns are designed. They're each a unique twist on what to expect from the usual gameplay, and a nice surprise as well. I appreciate effort put towards making the conclusion of a game memorable, and they definitely did a great job here. :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat the entire game today. It was really a blast in multiplayer. Mid-way through the Pickpocket campaign I felt the single player value of the game started to nosedive because of the ways the levels were designed. It was getting harder and harder, and was way more fun to play with a 4 player team with lots of different options for every scenario, rather than using a single character to slowly plough through the stage. It wasn't impossible, just more time consuming and a little boring. But in multiplayer the game remained extremely fun. Too bad the netcode seems pretty iffy.

I have to give the game respect for the way the final mission in both campaigns are designed. They're each a unique twist on what to expect from the usual gameplay, and a nice surprise as well. I appreciate effort put towards making the conclusion of a game memorable, and they definitely did a great job here. :D

that's exactly been my experience. I have a very fast internet connection but largely my only experience (PC) seems to revolve around picking a lock, kind of freezing and then skipping halfway across the level, setting off every alarm in the process. :(

love the game, just wish I had more folks to play with.. ah well.

JulianImp

I finally found my PS2-like USB controller while cleaning up my old consoles and stuff last Sunday, but when I plug it in and boot up x360ce it recognizes the input but only on the rightmost tab (the "Joystick 1" tab has a red square).

<rambling>
The application has little to no help anywhere, and I tried searching around to no avail. Also, whenever I reset the ini files and boot x360ce up, it tries to search for valid controller configurations and it fails to find any.

I don't know what to make out of this, but I'm really bummed about the whole XInput thing... what was the deal with rendering older input methods completely incompatible despite them still working the same from the hardware side? It's not like the 360 controllers are Wiimotes compared to older USB controllers in terms of input actions anyway, and x360ce being completely obtuse to use isn't helping things. Why can't I take my controller, map the actions to a 360 controller's input and have them work properly?
</rambling>

AWintory

Neo Member
Hey guys, FYI I am giving away free copies of the game on Steam (TODAY ONLY, May 23) with purchase of the OST:

http://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/monaco-gentlemans-private-collection-bundle

Bear in mind this principally supports the brilliant cover artists who contributed to the bonus album (Gentleman's Private Collection), so it's not a *totally* shameless plug

Actual giveaway language posted on my FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Wintory/219513938096171

:)

(in other news my FB page has almost 5,000 likes ... what should I do that's special when I hit it???)

Morthas

Neo Member
So you can finally try out the Editor (beta).

Tried it out and you have access to all game assets it seems. Tried to change the map size but it wasn't possible... There aren't any mouse controls in the editor which I cannot understand at all (it's still in beta but in videos of the editor, mouse control was absent as well).

And then, there was an update and my entire game progress (whole campaign clear) was lost... Great.

Lotto

Just completed the main storyline (Locksmith -> Epilogue) with a few friends. I gotta say, I'm impressed with this game. I loaded up the game a few weeks ago when it launched and played the first few missions and didn't really get a good impression of it. Decided to join a few friends that just got the game and were starting off and we played 2-3 missions every other day. The game progressively gets better. The game initially felt confusing due to the top down camera perspective, but the later levels really let the game shine. All the levels felt very heist-like despite the perspective and I ended up digging the art direction more and more as the levels opened up. By the end I really warmed up to the mechanics and when you finally get that good heist in, it's really satisfying. Awesome game, and the alternate story branches looks like they'll be a lot of fun too! I thought the Pickpocket was pretty useless in the beginning of the game but I think he ended up being one of my favorites
up there with the redhead and the lookout

Edit: Also, I played on my PC with a wired Xbox 360 controller, definitely felt more natural for me (and I usually find that keyboard + mouse > controller in most cases).

Ourobolus

Banned
Got this game gifted on my birthday last week. Having a bunch of fun.

Anyone know what the 3rd trophy is on the levels? I've gotten it a few times, but I can't tell if it's for

-ending a level with full health
-not using any health packs
-not losing any health

What is it?

Mac version is out on Steam as of a few hours ago. It seems it fully supports Steam Cloud and it has synced my Windows progress in the Mac version. Port looks to be great!

My Steam copy seems to be crashing when I try to quit the game – it just hangs on the ‘space to confirm esc to continue’ screen. It even stumps Task Manager. Anyone else having this issue?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
A friend bugged me for the longest time to get this, eventually he gifted it to me. The game seems like mad co-op fun. Any tips for a newcomer?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A friend bugged me for the longest time to get this, eventually he gifted it to me. The game seems like mad co-op fun. Any tips for a newcomer?

Stick together and don't pick the same character class all the time.

Game is awesome on PC.

Owzers

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but Monaco isn't working with my motionjoy xbox emulated setting ps3 controller. Was there some type of thing i'm not doing right to get this working?

.....okay i got it working once now and then never again. I missed the secret handshake that made it work.

Somax

Bought the 4pack in the Steam sale, the 4 player coop is GLORIOUS.
Extremely fun, and screwing up the missions is fun too :D

Cronox

Banned
Thinking about buying the 4 pack of this on steam, need to get rid of two copies for $5.50 each on paypal. Anyone game for one or two keys?

Ourobolus

Banned
Manged to beat this with a buddy of mine co-op, getting all of the coins along the way. Makes it much easier for me to solo, since in order to get all 4 trophies for each level I just have to make it to the end rather than spend time getting all of the coins.

Good game, I like how the story ends up playing out too.

For the final level
getting all of the coins was ridiculous. Finally, the last coins we needed were in the safe just north of the parking lot, but we weren't having any luck getting in there (I was Gentleman/Pickpocket, he was Cleaner/Hacker), so we ran the whole way back to the beginning and took the easy route up to the parking lot, and I noticed a rocket launcher nearby - fired it at the safe and not a single guard moved. Monkey went in and picked up the coins. Hilarious.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone see the new update yet? It's quite extensive - they've added a zombie mode - and a new miniseries of challenges covering the backstories of every character before they got locked up. (some of them are tough to ace).

It's also 60% off now on Steam
linky

This is on top of the custom levels and level editor that got added a while back.

Seriously wish this game got more love!

breakfuss

Just picked up the latest humble bundle with Monaco. How in the ever loving god did this fly under my radar for sooo long?! Crazy thing is I only bought in for Dust, but this has been such a pleasant surprise. Love it!

Top Bottom