• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

duckroll

I liked splitting up better. He always brought the guards back to -you-, and I could clean up during the chaos.

We had an interesting rhythm going yesterday with 4 players. It was essentially what you just described except with two 2-player teams. If one team alerts all the guards on a floor, the other team can clean up all the objectives and coins before hiding somewhere, and waiting for a chance to revive the dead team. :D

Jb

It must be so disheartening for the devs to miss out on so many sales because the XBLA version isn't out when all the press reviews came out. It reminds me of the Indie Game documentary where one of the Team Meat dude lost his shit when the game wasn't on the dashboard on hour 01.

I know I'm bummed :( It would have made for a great, relaxing, weekend game.

Wok

hey, so how do telephones and light bulbs work in this game? i can't seem to figure them out.

great game btw, really loving it

The telephones ring randomly and a guard comes to answer the phone.

As for light bulbs, I have not met any. I have just met electric power sockets, which the Hacker can use.

duckroll

Also, there might be some confusion between normal lights (they're inside walls and represented by a non-interactive sunlight icon) and the power switch (light bulb icon). The normal lights are turned off automatically by the virus stuff following you around if you hack a computer (or a power source as a hacker), and they lower visibility so guards can't see you unless you're directly on their flashlight sight. The power switch can be used by any character, and it turns all the power on the floor off for a period of time, similar to using an EMP item.

Tizzzzz

Neo Member
It's really exciting to play as the hacker and have like 5-6 virus sources at your fingertips in a short amount of time, makes you feel like some kind of god as you walk around. Having a lot of fun with the game, been mostly playing it two-player and haven't been the greatest at it but even the chaos is a good kind of tension and I feel like for the most part I have complete control over what I'm doing. The one thing I haven't completely understood yet is how to know when dogs will detect you, but otherwise everything has felt super clear to me and I typically find myself just REALLY avoiding dogs which largely solves that problem.

The power switch can be used by any character, and it turns all the power on the floor off for a period of time, similar to using an EMP item.
I think it turns the power off permanently until a guard switches it back on.

You can get some very effective stuff going if you sit one person near the switch and coordinate when they take the power down.

Wok

I have finally finished the Quartier Diamant solo with every coin. I was really cose to making my fourth character die while breaking the glasses to get the jewels.

NaUtvph.jpg

Wok

In some levels, I don't know why, it seems we can hear the news from a radio or the TV. Once, there was a reference to Phillipe Poisson, better known as Phil Fish.

Wok

The game is harder with 2p. If you play solo, you have four lives. If you play with other players, you have the power to revive someone else, as many times as you want, yet it is a risky move, and with 2p, it is easy to die while trying to revive the other. Playing with three others does make the gamer easier.

justjim89

Ugh, fuck the "Slippery" achievement. I've been trying to do that for the last hour and that is just infuriating. If it was just "finish the level in 1:10 or less" I could do it. I've gotten 1:10 twice now. But no, it's gotta be less than 1:10. It wouldn't be so bad if the guards and coins weren't randomized on the street level. That building gets me every time. Has anyone actually gotten it?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ugh, fuck the "Slippery" achievement. I've been trying to do that for the last hour and that is just infuriating. If it was just "finish the level in 1:10 or less" I could do it. I've gotten 1:10 twice now. But no, it's gotta be less than 1:10. It wouldn't be so bad if the guards and coins weren't randomized on the street level. That building gets me every time. Has anyone actually gotten it?

Yeah. It took like 2-3 tries, but I didn't find it to be too bad. Just ignore the guards completely. They can't do enough to you for it to matter.

JulianImp

So far I've only been playing on my own, except for that one time I played with a workmate (we desperately need two more controllers). I've been using the Cleaner and Gentleman (which I've just unlocked) so far. Disguises are great when playing by oneself, but I guess the Cleaner could be more useful when playing with others (to help them get across as well).

By the way, does GAF have a dedicated Steam group or some other way to look for fellow GAFfers looking for some co-op action? I'd love to try my hand at 4-player heists sometime.

Rahk

How many different stories are there? There's not one for each character, is there? I've played for about 7 hours and haven't even finished the Lockpicker story yet.

dk_

I still have the Monaco beta in my inventory. Any chance I can transform it into the normal release (save games)?

Wok

How many different stories are there? There's not one for each character, is there? I've played for about 7 hours and haven't even finished the Lockpicker story yet.

I think there are only 2 stories, and then the level editor.

As far as I can tell (I haven't unlocked everything yet), there are 32 missions (plus the prison break tutorial): 16 regular ones, and then the 16 harder 'remixes' that make up the Pickpocket's story.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing! I've just downloaded it and will try it out later.

What do I have to do to make the game recognize KB+M and the gamepad as separate players? When I tried to do it the game simply controlled Player 1's input with both devices.

How did you manage to fix this? I'm facing the same prob. :(

JulianImp

How did you manage to fix this? I'm facing the same prob. :(

Go to the settings menu (I think) and one of the bottom options should be "Keyboard Player #" or something like that. It seems like the game maps the keyboard independently of the gamepads, so you have to manually change the keyboard slot and make sure it doesn't overlap with the gamepads (ie: if you have three gamepads, you'll have to set keyboard to P4).

It looks like I won't be playing co-op at work for the time being (sadly), so I'd love to arrange some online games with anyone who's interested. My Steam profile can be found at /ultimatekiwi, and my current username is Ultimate Kiwi (with a hand-drawn TF2 spy image I found areound the Internet).

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Go to the settings menu (I think) and one of the bottom options should be "Keyboard Player #" or something like that. It seems like the game maps the keyboard independently of the gamepads, so you have to manually change the keyboard slot and make sure it doesn't overlap with the gamepads (ie: if you have three gamepads, you'll have to set keyboard to P4).

It looks like I won't be playing co-op at work for the time being (sadly), so I'd love to arrange some online games with anyone who's interested. My Steam profile can be found at /ultimatekiwi, and my current username is Ultimate Kiwi (with a hand-drawn TF2 spy image I found areound the Internet).

thanks, all working now!

Niraj

Just played through all of the locksmith's levels with 3-4 players. It's so much more fun that way! Holy shit, it especially gets crazy when you go for all the coins. Redhead is amazing for quick revives and charming guards to open doors. Really looking forward to the Pickpocket's levels.

Wok

A friend of mine has an Xbox360 gamepad, and I have one too. Both can be plugged on a USB port. Would the game work right away with two gamepads plugged in at the same time?

I know the game works fine with one gamepad, but I don't know whether the process is as smooth with two.

A friend of mine has an Xbox360 gamepad, and I have one too. Both can be plugged on a USB port. Would the game work right away with two gamepads plugged in at the same time?

I know the game works fine with one gamepad, but I don't know whether the process is as smooth with two.

Works fine for me. Me and a mate have played local co-op and the game recognized a 2nd controller as easily as it recognized the first.

Wok

Works fine for me. Me and a mate have played local co-op and the game recognized a 2nd controller as easily as it recognized the first.

Thanks. An additional question: is it possible to play 2p in local, plus 2p online, making it 4p all in all, but with 2p playing in local with the same game. Have you tried this?

I know that this game is better with friends, but is it markedly better with more? A few of us are on completely different schedules, and it's likely that we will only be able to play with two people at a time.

JulianImp

I know that this game is better with friends, but is it markedly better with more? A few of us are on completely different schedules, and it's likely that we will only be able to play with two people at a time.

I played some games with my cousin and it's fun how we had to stay in the shadows while planning our next move (since we couldn't just use a four-man team to cover all the bases), and the ensuing frenzy that came from one of us messing up and being spotted and the remaining player being forced to revive the other. We mostly played as the gentleman (him) and the cleaner (me), but we're trying pickpocket + mole for the redhead level, since it appears to be the best way to slip by. It's a bit annoying how you're basically forced to switch characters whenever you have to rescue someone. I haven't played three or four-player co-op yet, so I can't say how that works, but it'd probably be even more frantic and accident-prone.

By the way, what does the redhead do? So far I've seen her charm up to one person at a time, but they barely did anything other than following me around aimlessly. I thought you could get them to fight for you or something as well.

Niraj

I played some games with my cousin and it's fun how we had to stay in the shadows while planning our next move (since we couldn't just use a four-man team to cover all the bases), and the ensuing frenzy that came from one of us messing up and being spotted and the remaining player being forced to revive the other. We mostly played as the gentleman (him) and the cleaner (me), but we're trying pickpocket + mole for the redhead level, since it appears to be the best way to slip by. It's a bit annoying how you're basically forced to switch characters whenever you have to rescue someone. I haven't played three or four-player co-op yet, so I can't say how that works, but it'd probably be even more frantic and accident-prone.

By the way, what does the redhead do? So far I've seen her charm up to one person at a time, but they barely did anything other than following me around aimlessly. I thought you could get them to fight for you or something as well.

She'll charm one person before they get fully alert. The main utility of that, besides not getting caught, is that they'll unlock doors (including the hand alarm ones) for you. She also revives other players super fast. I used her most of the time during my 3-4 player playthrough because of how useful she was (mostly the reviving).

duckroll

I'll say that the game is very different in SP and in MP. Even in MP, playing with 2 players is very different from playing with 3-4 players. The first time you play through a mission, I don't think it's "better" or "worse" in SP or MP because the experiences are so different. But I do feel that in terms of replayability, it's definitely geared towards multiplayer.

Seems like the multiplayer for this game has really struggled to take off. 500 people playing, most alone evidently. Really difficult to get into a game with randoms.

JulianImp

Seems like the multiplayer for this game has really struggled to take off. 500 people playing, most alone evidently. Really difficult to get into a game with randoms.

That's why I said we probably could get a community going, so we can make looking for MP games easier. I'd love to play four-player locally, but that's out of the question for now due to the whole controller issue.

My cousin and I've beaten the pickpocket's story up to the Monte Carlo heist, but we died on the next one and stopped playing for a while. We've mostly been using a combination of Mole/Cleaner + Gentleman, and taken our sweet time in cleaning out the heists. It's been really fun, especially when one of us makes a mistake and we start haphazardly running around stealing what was left or dies and the other player has to cautiously get to the other's corpse and revive him.

Niraj

I had trouble getting randoms to join on some of the earlier levels, but when I played with a friend it filled up around banque albert. Didn't have an issue refilling after people dropped either.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Watched the TNT with this on Giantbomb. Painful to watch. Really hard to tell what is going on.

I have had no problem filling 3 or 4 slots.
I had trouble getting randoms to join on some of the earlier levels, but when I played with a friend it filled up around banque albert. Didn't have an issue refilling after people dropped either.
This is definitely not my experience at all, I tried just now. Took 10 minutes to get into a game and then two players dropped making it pretty pointless. Tried to get another game going but nobody would join. I'm wondering if people are rinsing the game get frustrated with me because I have no idea what I'm doing and they're replaying for high scores or achievements... I had this problem with Portal 2 co-op.

Curious are you in the US? I'm wondering if the game has more appeal there purely 'cause of the grassroots efforts at PAX etc. Maybe the game will get some more buzz but right now I'm thinking about sitting on the game until it's in a sale and more people are playing it.

Niraj

This is definitely not my experience at all, I tried just now. Took 10 minutes to get into a game and then two players dropped making it pretty pointless. Tried to get another game going but nobody would join. I'm wondering if people are rinsing the game get frustrated with me because I have no idea what I'm doing and they're replaying for high scores or achievements... I had this problem with Portal 2 co-op.

Curious are you in the US? I'm wondering if the game has more appeal there purely 'cause of the grassroots efforts at PAX etc. Maybe the game will get some more buzz but right now I'm thinking about sitting on the game until it's in a sale and more people are playing it.

I am in the US, yes. I guess it could depend on time playing as well? The time I was referring to was somewhat late at night (11 PM-3 AM EST). I haven't tried playing during the day at all.

I'd certainly be glad to play with you (and anyone else) at some point, so feel free to add me. I'm not always free, but usually it'd be around the time I mentioned above.

I'm playing a private game in the same room as my brother.

We kept getting random disconnects in the first few rooms. What gives? Absolutely unplayable.

Top Bottom