• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

justjim89

This game's multiplayer reminds me a lot of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. By itself, it's challenging and sometimes a bit unfair to the lone player, but get 4 people going and it can get hectic and stupid really fast. My games have usually involved me panicking when I or a teammate makes some mistake, instantly running around like a headless chicken and soon thereafter getting killed by one of the four pursuing guards. And then of course apologizing to my teammates for the umpteenth time.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Have only played a bit over an hour in single player (was waiting for a buddy last night but he fell asleep :( ) and am enjoying it so far. I can really see it being a lot of fun with a couple more people.

justjim89

Just discovered a pretty big fault in the multiplayer. If someone bails during a game, all the coins they collected get reset where they originally were. Meaning, if you're on the last floor of a level and a rather important team member disconnects, you have to go back through every floor and re gather all their coins. That's not good at all.

how do you guys go about playing when you play multiplayer? Are you collecting all the coins before you leave, or are you just hitting the objectives?

Also, what's the reward for grabbing coins?

Also, what's the reward for grabbing coins?

Three reasons to collect coins.

#1 - Score. For each coin you miss in a stage, it adds 10 seconds to your completion time. If you want to have the best leaderboard rankings, you need to get everything.
#2 - Unlock new levels. For each 2 levels you complete with all of the coins, you unlock an additional level in the second campaign.
#3 - Power-up uses. Every 10 coins, adds another power-up use to your inventory.

Niraj

Here's the completed PA comic:

i-jK4xVgt-950x10000.jpg

duckroll

Isn't the mole really noisy? Sounds like he will attract every guard in the building the way he goes on.

He's really noisy but he's also pretty fast. If you know which walls are the quickest direct shortcuts, you can finish a level in no time at all, skipping entire floors sometimes.

legbone

it's on xbla if you do a search. it seems it may be the free trial only though. maybe there is an option to buy once i get it downloaded. i'll let you guys know.

edit: that's what i was afraid of. when you try to buy it, it shows a cost of -1 points. at least i can play the trial i guess.

papercamm

it's on xbla if you do a search. it seems it may be the free trial only though. maybe there is an option to buy once i get it downloaded. i'll let you guys know.

edit: that's what i was afraid of. when you try to buy it, it shows a cost of -1 points. at least i can play the trial i guess.
Ah well, at least I'll be ready when it goes on sale.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the completed PA comic:

Dear god, that was literally my first game with friends. "Why don't we just go into the room from the start" and they howled when I set off all the shit and tried to leave.

Niraj

Isn't the mole really noisy? Sounds like he will attract every guard in the building the way he goes on.

He is, but seems like you can find some really awesome shortcuts with him. Haven't used him too much yet, but you can finish Banque Albert in like 10 seconds (actual time, not game recorded time, since you'll be skipping most of the coins) if you just dig straight up right at the start lol

He's really noisy but he's also pretty fast. If you know which walls are the quickest direct shortcuts, you can finish a level in no time at all, skipping entire floors sometimes.

In MP he seems extremely powerful for exactly what the comic showed; you can make a hell of a mess and let your team draw the attention. In SP I'm finding him quite difficult to use in later levels as you run into undiggable concrete, thin walls, and few hiding places.

Given enough repetition he probably makes the most sense for speedruns though

duckroll

In MP he seems extremely powerful for exactly what the comic showed; you can make a hell of a mess and let your team draw the attention. In SP I'm finding him quite difficult to use in later levels as you run into undiggable concrete, thin walls, and few hiding places.

Given enough repetition he probably makes the most sense for speedruns though

SP = MGS Lite. So you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself.

MP = Smash Brothers Heist. Chaos = Profit.

:)

JulianImp

So... we ended up playing a 2-man game, and it was ridiculously fun. My workmate didn't know what to do and kept alerting guards and triggering every alarm he came across, but somehow we still managed to beat the second and third missions.

Even if he was just playing badly and attracting everybody's attention towards us, I had a lot more fun than when I played through those levels alone! I guess duckroll's right about the SP=MGS, MP=SSB comparison.

I'm definitely going to buy some cheap controllers so we can play 4p missions soon (360 ones are just too freaking expensive).

hilarious.

But in all seriousness, seen some levels where the mole's gotta be careful not to enable cameras and security lasers to see into other rooms, so i think there's some strategy there.

I think I was on the 4th mission or so, and I said "He lets dig in here"

Long story short, I found a shortcut from the start straight to the goal, but I instantly tripped 3 lasers.

Also, GODDAMN ANIMALS.

Jira

My own searching and googling has failed me...where is the editor? Do I need to beat the game before unlocking it or something?

Salsa

How is this game in 2-player co-op? Seems meant for 4 players...

I would also like to know this.

it's fine, and probably more effective since it's less frantic

wether it's as fun as 4 or not depends on the player. Having more players means having more abilities so there's that, but after playing offline co-op for a bit with a buddy I can safely say that it'd still be a blast to play through it that way

it's easy for shit to go south as 4 players

Mandoric

Banned
Hey I wasn't running anywhere. I was sneaking. You guys did the running... into the guards... and then you brought them back to me, every time! :p

I said to stick together! When we did, things usually worked!

I liked splitting up better. He always brought the guards back to -you-, and I could clean up during the chaos.

Top Bottom