• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm not hating on the assassin class, they're the best counter to support and god-snipers such as myself. 49 out of 50 are complete garbage and just don't take the hint after their 10th consecutive 2-29 game.

Snipers rock though. Nothing takes down bots and stacks paper faster than the Sniper. Every match except for Lazerazor(? the one in the desert) can be dominated by a good sniper. Just upgrade your passive to level 2 at match start, drop a shaveice or longshot, then exclusively shoot for bots and idiots who like to stand still - don't hunt. Getting passive to level 3 and exploding rounds is essential. Once you get that, bomb turrets from a distance and rack up bot kills while your teammates cruise to victory like they're fighting the French.

Again, don't hunt with the sniper, play defensive - just pick off turrets, stack paper, and don't waste money on upgrades unless you're just in the mood to try something new.

For kicks, throw a trap out in front of you and just lol when assassins run right through it and set off the blue haze alarming everyone on your team to their presence. When juiced, you can kill anyone with one clip of the smg BUT reloading makes it less useful than other classes.

If you're going to create a custom class, feel free to drop critical hits - head shot = dead anyways so its not important. Gold rate of fire is a must.
forgeforsaken said:
I think the gunner with armor gold can survive it as well and the tank can survive it without armor gold.
Yeah, Gunners can survive it with armor gold. Slam on wake-up makes dumb assassins look really dumb. If you can, get one good slice in from the back before you go for the grapple to guarantee the kill.

another note: Assassins can't grapple a deployed gunner.

Lunchbox said:
we did. remember the 2 min victories on wednesday. i was in the party with 30+ kills. never lost a match when playing with a party

but everyones not always on at 3am :(
Ah right yeah that was awesome, we had a killer group.

I'm starting to see some real PITA tanks now, not including myself :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I've been playing Tank lately and I think I've been a PITA :lol

It's a custom, with Gold Armor Sponsor.
Literally no spy can take me down, it got to the point where I got double teamed by spies (both grapped me) and I still killed the bastards :lol

I also sit back and snipe with the railgun while lobbing grenades from afar.

Tank is also really good for taking out bots.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Any GAF want to play? MNC GAF is empty for this game atm. Also, let me know if I need to turn my 'friends only' chat off. I will open it up if needs be.

Fair warning, I've will be having 'beverages' ;)

d0c_zaius

DY_nasty said:
I shouldn't have said anything at all really ha

They try and try but I just lol.

Yea and most jump keep trying over and over to do it like its a bug :D

Deployed + smart support kept us laughing for a while.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had a crazy match with 17 kills, 13 assists, and 2 deaths as the assassin just now. Got the tag for an 11 kill streak too! Now I got enough money to buy a custom class and I set the armor to gold so she won't die so fast.

I feel like I play her a lot different from the other assassin's I see. I start the round off with a boost to assassin and cloak, then buy a cheap turret. I hang bang and just kill bots with her gun and before I know it I have her sword and cloak, and then I spend most of the money on more turrets to rack up assists. I usually only stealth kill people trying to get in, when they're focusing on turrets instead. With the gold armor boost I can now pretty much rush in and kill a jackbot in the middle of the map and still cloak out without dying.

Then if it reaches overtime and I buy some bots, stealth over, use juice and go to town. Just single handedly got a money ball to 50% in my last match. :lol

He also gains a faster hp regen when not under fire, not as good as a silver endorsement but it helps, plus he gives off an aura so any team bots close by will get a buff.

Shoogoo

Thanks guys. Now I understand the aura thing.

As custom class I take Support with G: Speed, S: Armor and B: Health Regen. Isn't the health regen useless with the passive at level 3?

Shoogoo said:
Thanks guys. Now I understand the aura thing.

As custom class I take Support with G: Speed, S: Armor and B: Health Regen. Isn't the health regen useless with the passive at level 3?
It will still help you but only a little bit, howcome you don't have skill regen as a support? his skills are quite important.

Shoogoo

Diablohead said:
It will still help you but only a little bit, howcome you don't have skill regen as a support? his skills are quite important.

I tried it but didn't really see any difference.. What do you use?

Sanic

Plasma said:
There are boards around the stadiums counting down.

Ahhh...that would explain why I haven't seen it.

Kinda inconvenient, but I can understand why they did it like that.

Shoogoo said:
I tried it but didn't really see any difference.. What do you use?
I think my current custom is skill regen, armour, speed. Many assassins tackle me from the front thinking I will die but the armour saves me, so I grapple back and shotgun them in the head :lol I have speed on so I can move around a little better and keep up with faster players when I heal, like assaults and snipers.

I think gold skill regen is only 25% quicker but I do a lot of hacking and moving my firebase about so it helps.

Pandoracell said:
I must be blind, but where is the match timer shown?
When you walk out in front of your spawn there is a large digital clock counting down with yellow numbers.

radjago

GuitarAtomik said:
Is there a good site yet that accumulates info or strategies for maps or classes yet? I've learned more about the classes and basic game mechanics from this thread more than I have from in game or the official site. I was hoping they'd have more class walkthrough videos by now too.
The best sites I've found so far are the official forums and this Wikia page.

parasight

Just played the trial. God this game is fun. I think I'll hold out for the PC version though, as I'd rather have the M+K combo.

Sanic

Assasin is, so far, the only class I seem to be able to use when I want to go on the offensive as opposed to defending the moneyball. That's likely because it's much easier to just sneak where i'm trying to go :D

And I don't want to be "that guy", but I wish the maps had more variety in both layout and aesthetic. They're all very well made and I don't see them getting old very soon, but it's just one of those things.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
parasight said:
Just played the trial. God this game is fun. I think I'll hold out for the PC version though, as I'd rather have the M+K combo.
It's an MS published game so you're gonna be waiting for a long, long time.

parasight said:
Buy both! support the devs! plus they not said anything about a pc version yet so don't get your hopes up too much in case something bad happens.

xbhaskarx

Is there any difference between Custom Class 1, 2, etc.?
Do they get better as they get more expensive, or is it only for people who want to switch classes in-game? Because otherwise the time between games seems like it would be enough to change things around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
xbhaskarx said:
Is there any difference between Custom Class 1, 2, etc.?
Do they get better as they get more expensive, or is it only for people who want to switch classes in-game? Because otherwise the time between games seems like it would be enough to change things around.

Pretty sure it's just extra slots of the same thing. Considering the upgrades every game you apply for the classes, it seems fairly useless to even switch either way.

DY_nasty

Papercuts said:
Pretty sure it's just extra slots of the same thing. Considering the upgrades every game you apply for the classes, it seems fairly useless to even switch either way.
Yeah. There's no point in switching classes during games as its just a huge waste of money.

and damn... a two good assassins can fuck a whole game up.

xbhaskarx

Papercuts said:

At some point I'll probably buy more of them, just because the only things to spend money on are the custom classes and the highlight tags, and I already spent $30,000 on the bacon one. :lol

Rad-

Did some endorsement testing earlier and here's some things I ran into, might help gaffers who are choosing what to take:

Critical hit endorsement works wonders for fast shooting weapons, like the jetgun and the minigun. In both of these cases choosing the gold critical hit endorsement boosts the critical rate from 0% to around 40-50%! To add, using the minigun deployed with deploy level 2 makes critical chance rise to a whooping 80-90%. In comparison, the endorsement is a lot weaker for slow shooting weapons, like the railgun in which the critical rate only becomes around 15-20% or so.

Speed endorsement speeds up slow classes by quite a bit but interestingly the effect percentage is not nearly as high with already fast classes. Did some simple run tests and I'd even go as far to say that the speed endorsement is almost useless for classes like the assassin. The boost is just so small.

Clip size gold doubles the basic clip size, silver gives 60% bonus and bronze 40% bonus.

Most interesting out of these is definitely the critical boost for fast shooting weapons because the boost is just so huge. From zero chance to pretty much 50/50 critical/normal shot ratio is an amazing increase. Definitely a great endorsement if you plan on using the jetgun or the minigun a lot.

Edit: Did some more and it seems the jetgun's critical boost isn't quite minigun level but it still gets a nice boost out of it as well.

DY_nasty

Rad- said:
Did some endorsement testing earlier and here's some things I ran into, might help gaffers who are choosing what to take:

Critical hit endorsement works wonders for fast shooting weapons, like the jetgun and the minigun. In both of these cases choosing the gold critical hit endorsement boosts the critical rate from 0% to around 40-50%! To add, using the minigun deployed with deploy level 2 makes critical chance rise to a whooping 80-90%. In comparison, the endorsement is a lot weaker for slow shooting weapons, like the railgun in which the critical rate only becomes around 15-20% or so.

Speed endorsement speeds up slow classes by quite a bit but interestingly the effect percentage is not nearly as high with already fast classes. Did some simple run tests and I'd even go as far to say that the speed endorsement is almost useless for classes like the assassin. The boost is just so small.

Clip size gold doubles the basic clip size, silver gives 60% bonus and bronze 40% bonus.

Most interesting out of these is definitely the critical boost for fast shooting weapons because the boost is just so huge. From zero chance to pretty much 50/50 critical/normal shot ratio is an amazing increase. Definitely a great endorsement if you plan on using the jetgun or the minigun a lot.

Edit: Did some more and it seems the jetgun's critical boost isn't quite minigun level but it still gets a nice boost out of it as well.
Great info, thanks.

Proven

Rad- said:

I'm going to add these to the wikia later, unless you want to do it: mondaynightcombat.wikia.com

Thanks for the info.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
Been playing almost exclusively as gunner with armor, health regen, and crits. It's easy mode, but damn it's fun as hell. Using the mini gun to tear through pros, blasting bots with the mortar, and making assassins look like fools as I throw them around the arena never gets old.

I love it when I start irritating a couple of assassins so much that they just hunt me the whole game. The rest of the team is steamrolling the other side of the map while I'm racking up Ring Outs on 2-3 assassins over and over :lol

DY_nasty

AnimatorZombie said:
Been playing almost exclusively as gunner with armor, health regen, and crits. It's easy mode, but damn it's fun as hell. Using the mini gun to tear through pros, blasting bots with the mortar, and making assassins look like fools as I throw them around the arena never gets old.

I love it when I start irritating a couple of assassins so much that they just hunt me the whole game. The rest of the team is steamrolling the other side of the map while I'm racking up Ring Outs on 2-3 assassins over and over :lol
Yeah, gunner is the good life :D

Sniper is my new beasting machine, ice mines and flak bombs are so awesome when playing a rush sniper, fuck camping.

Ice mine the top of a launch pad area, keep your ears open for the sound of someone being frozen, pop their heads.

JesseZao

I've been mostly running as support with my full team of friends (aside: had a lot of matchmaking issues today for some reason).

I wish the developer would release the stat boosts for endorsements for each class. Right now I'm experimenting with different custom support builds.

My main custom just switches the armor to gold and knocks skill regen to silver to keep the number of one-shots from assassins down. Another build I try has juice at gold for our quick rush games.

What I want to know is if any of the gun upgrade endorsements affect the heal gun. i.e. rate of fire or critical hits.

I hope they iron out the matchmaking issues soon, because this game could have some good legs imo.

Daigoro

JesseZao said:
I hope they iron out the matchmaking issues soon, because this game could have some good legs imo.

i was just about to ask this question.

is it going to have legs, and will it be a bitch to jump in a few weeks late?

getting my repaired 360 back this week at some point and ive got a little bit of an XBLA backlog here.

KaYotiX

Banned
Daigoro said:
i was just about to ask this question.

is it going to have legs, and will it be a bitch to jump in a few weeks late?

getting my repaired 360 back this week at some point and ive got a little bit of an XBLA backlog here.

Im playing it basically till Reach is out, then i doubt ill touch it much but it is a damn fun game and ive goten my $15 out of it already,

Atomski

If the devs put out some updates I can see myself playing it even after Reach is released. Crossfire is just different and fun.

Top Bottom